airevents

Airport Classifications

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:06 am

Dear all,

for a study, I have to give a short summary on various classifications of airports employed in the literature:

So far, I have included the following:
- EU Commission: airport classes A-D (based on pax numbers)
- German Federal statistical office: International versus regional airports
- German aviation law (LuftVG): airports versus airfields
- ACI: airport groups 1-4 (based on pax numbers)
- Boston Consulting Group: Primary Hubs, International O&Ds, Secondary Hubs and O&Ds, Regional airports
- Mercer Management Consulting (Primary Hub, Secondary Hub, Major O&D, Low Cost airport, leisure airport)
- Transport Canada: National air system airports

I would be happy to get to know some other classifications used by well-known institutions. F.i., do the British CAA or the US FAA publish their own classification schemes?

Thanks a lot
Sven
www.airevents.com

N231YE

RE: Airport Classifications

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting Airevents (Thread starter):
I would be happy to get to know some other classifications used by well-known institutions. F.i., do the British CAA or the US FAA publish their own classification schemes?

The FAA or DOT (I forget which) does have a classification on U.S. airports. I will try to find this out for you, and post it when I can.

EDIT: Here you go:
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...rt_safety/part139_cert/?p1=classes

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...ssenger_allcargo_stats/categories/

[Edited 2007-01-03 20:15:44]

airevents

RE: Airport Classifications

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 pm

Thank you, this is an important classification which I will include in the study.
If anyone knows of any additional ways to classify airports, I will be thankful to get the relevant information!

Best wishes
Sven
www.airevents.com