kunta67

HNL Airport Question

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:58 am

I flew out of HNL yesterday but of all the times I've flown back home to Hawaii and when I left Hawaii is the fact that no planes between the diamond head, central, and eva concourses ever start their engines in the alleyway. All the planes have to be pushed back to the active taxiways. Can someone with knowledge of HNL operations answer that question for me, why planes never start their engines in the alleyway?

MEACEDAR

RE: HNL Airport Question

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:02 am

Probably to avoid noise.

GentFromAlaska

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting MEACEDAR (Reply 1):
Probably to avoid noise.

That would be my guess. Because HNL for the most part is open airport. Another thought would be to eliminate any flying debris which may get airborne by jet wash.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

ha763

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting MEACEDAR (Reply 1):
Probably to avoid noise.

Not really. Aircraft taxi in on their own power and keep them on if they are being connected to ground power. Plus, almost everyone uses their APU, which are also very loud.

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 2):
Another thought would be to eliminate any flying debris which may get airborne by jet wash.

This is mostly the reason why. I've been blasted by the jet blast from aircraft turning into gates across the alleyway. Also, a recent incident where someone on a golf cart drove behind an aircraft at a gate with the engines still running, had the windshield blown all the way across the allyway. Luckily it didn't hit anyone. Plus, there is a road that crosses the opening of the alleyways. Again, I've driven along that road after an aircraft taxis into Gates 24 and 25 and still could feel the jet blast.

The only times an engine can be started at a gate or in the alleyway is if the aircraft needs an air start cart or for engine maintenance. And they need permission from ramp control in order to do it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos