fun2fly

CLE Airport Upgrades, When?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:34 pm

Over the past few years, there have been several upgrades planned, but either haven't or only partially happened.

1) Airport runway final extension -
2) Nearly a year ago, CLE city council gave CO $ to extend the check in counter to the south (towards D gates)
3) CLE Airport deal w/CO - support PVG and put in an international customs facility and we'll give you CDG in 2008
4) Interior upgrades - see new paint and restrooms. Anything else planned?

Any information available on these? Just seems like another CLE project, gets approval and then takes on a life of its own and never goes anywhere.

goCOgo

RE: CLE Airport Upgrades, When?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:51 pm

Well, as far as the runway extension, the last I heard is that a few months ago, bids were received, but they all came in significantly higher than the city's own estimates. As is standard practice in that situation, all bids are rejected, and you are forced to start over after figuring out what went wrong with your own estimate.

I'm not sure about the rest of the upgrades, I don't know too much. However, one thing that may be affecting things is that the City general fund is nearing the upper limits of its permissible debt load. However, each department, including port control, has their own budget, and may have room on theirs.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

HPAEAA

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting FUN2FLY (Thread starter):
4) Interior upgrades - see new paint and restrooms. Anything else planned?

When I went through on the first they had done some repainiting.. it looked really sharp, amazing how much a coat of paint can change a rooms atmosphere... it was the blue and green that the cities logo uses...

3) CLE Airport deal w/CO - support PVG and put in an international customs facility and we'll give you CDG in 2008

I think they are going to reconfigure the the customs facitilities, I honestly don't know the status though...
Why do I fly???

ncflyer

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:36 am

I seem to remember under John Mok the airport was supposed to undertake a strategic review-- I was expecting it would lead to some press release issued on the need for a new terminal (b ut only a pipe dream on how to fund it), because let's face it other than D it's needed, with the narrow hallways, low celings, and puny bathrooms, the place is a dinosaur. I have a feeling with the change in administration that got put on hold. But Ricky Smith seems like a pretty ambitious guy. . . .

lincoln

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:56 am

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 2):
When I went through on the first they had done some repainiting.. it looked really sharp, amazing how much a coat of paint can change a rooms atmosphere... it was the blue and green that the cities logo uses...

Yeah but all of those "Destination: CLEaner airport"-type signs are kind of tacky. One or two would be fine but it feels like there are dozens at the airport, it seems kind of naggy.

The new restrooms aren't too bad, though; I don't see how (or why) you would extend the ticket counter w/o reconfiguring security.

Speaking of security, what's up with closing the 'C' exit at night? I can understand why they would close the checkpoint, but there's nothing more irritating than getting off a 5+ hour flight, walking to where you should be able to head straight to baggage claim and instead seeign a sign and having to walk several hundred feet further, just to go down an escalator, make a U-Turn and backtrack to baggage claim 9, then walk back to the parking structure.

Sigh.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:56 am

Quoting GoCOgo (Reply 1):
Well, as far as the runway extension, the last I heard is that a few months ago, bids were received, but they all came in significantly higher than the city's own estimates. As is standard practice in that situation, all bids are rejected, and you are forced to start over after figuring out what went wrong with your own estimate.

What? You mean a customer actually wants to pay far less than something costs? And that customer is run by public sector buffoons? Wow. I never saw THAT coming...
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

trijetfan1

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:07 am

I'd really love to see CO extend some routes into Europe such as CDG and AMS. I think that CO could upgrade more routes (domestically) with widebodies/757-200/300's.

CLE-LAX with another 753 and addition 764
CLE-SFO 752
CLE-IAH 752
CLE-MCO 752
*CLE-HNL 764

upgrade DFW to mainline 733/735

add CLE-AMS 752/762
add CLE-CDG 762/764
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

fun2fly

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:40 am

CONTNLELITECMH

I think the change in price is due to the 5 year old estimate = think about what materials and oil have done in that time. Probably are now 30% more to do the final extension. See what happens when Mok just did not get it done one time. Prices went crazy and now may not get done due to no extra $.

TRIJETFAN1

Not sure this will happen, but feel that with 60 new 737's coming on board in 2008/2009, the return of more mainline service. Hope SEA, PDX, more SFO for sure. Hate stopping on those routes.

N766UA

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting TrijetFan1 (Reply 6):
add CLE-CDG 762/764

They already added CLE-CDG, starts in '08 with a 752.
This Website Censors Me

N231YE

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:55 am

I also remember the whole IX Center legal battle between the city of Cleveland and Brookpark. CLE was to have the IX Center torn down, and a new 12,000ft runway(?) was to have been completed by 2012 (I think). However, it was realized that the gains from a larger runway would not be much, and the proposal was dropped.

In addition, I now know that there is a brewing problem with runway 6C-24C. From what I understand, a simple error in the initial FAA application for the new runway (24R-6L) stated a total of "3" runways when the newest one would be completed. Actually, there are four runways. The current solution is to decommission 6C-24C into a taxiway to comply with the 3 runways restriction. However, in knowing airport employees, the general opinion is to keep 6C-24C a runway, as a backup.

calpsafltskeds

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:02 am

Don't look for CO to place more 752 or 767's in CLE as those aircraft are needed internationally EWR-Europe and EWR/IAH-Latin America. Maybe some addded 738 or 739ER aircraft on heavily loaded routes and upgrades on some routes to mainline. The 753 is a domestic aircraft and more heavy load factor CLE-LAX/LAS flights would be candidates for these aircraft.

I'd love to CLE-SAN back to stay. When it was moved to an AM eastbound years ago I could see the writing on the wall that it would be pulled that Fall. Evening west and red eye east doesn't require an aircraft and was operated over the recent holiday. Maybe the 733 and 735 aircraft being fitted with winglets are for CLE-West Coast.

I don't see a Non-stop to HNL in the future and think it likely 752 aircraft would be flown on CDG (slightly under EWR-TXL distance) and AMS. Some thought AMS would come before CDG as it is a big SkyTeam hub. CLE would love the service and, being the only service offered, shouldn't care if the service was narrow-bodies.

CLE can be a reliever for EWR as it becomes more congested with the eventual addition of more international flights.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

HPAEAA

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting Ncflyer (Reply 3):
I seem to remember under John Mok the airport was supposed to undertake a strategic review-- I was expecting it would lead to some press release issued on the need for a new terminal (b ut only a pipe dream on how to fund it), because let's face it other than D it's needed, with the narrow hallways, low celings, and puny bathrooms, the place is a dinosaur. I have a feeling with the change in administration that got put on hold. But Ricky Smith seems like a pretty ambitious guy. . . .

Well, the last rumor I heard about that (mind you it was a while ago)...
Supposidly they were looking to systematicly level A & B concourses and rebuild, either that or gut and rebuild, supposidly the rumor was that A had plans to add a Banjo, similar to what was on C so that UA, WN, or DL could be moved from B to A and open more gates on B for CO.... for all the CLE Fans, feel free to correct, don't jump on me.. that was a while ago....

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 4):
Speaking of security, what's up with closing the 'C' exit at night? I can understand why they would close the checkpoint, but there's nothing more irritating than getting off a 5+ hour flight, walking to where you should be able to head straight to baggage claim and instead seeign a sign and having to walk several hundred feet further, just to go down an escalator, make a U-Turn and backtrack to baggage claim 9, then walk back to the parking structure.

Talk to the guy that does the scheduling for TSA... Last I heard it was the Former AA station manager, Ken.... They do the same thing on the A concourse...

That would be enough for me to switch to CO to go home and avoid AA... I hate the jungle jets for the CLE DFW runs... I beg AA customer relations every month for a MD80... so far no luck, and I doubt in the future I will either...
Why do I fly???

goCOgo

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 5):
What? You mean a customer actually wants to pay far less than something costs? And that customer is run by public sector buffoons? Wow. I never saw THAT coming...

While I'm sure the city would love to pay less, that's not the point of the city's estimate. It's for budgetary purposes. If the estimates are higher, the cash isn't in the budget, so they are rejected. The bidder's don't know what the city estimate says to try and match it.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

cle757

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:55 am

This is why CO should add flights

CLEVELAND -- Northeast Ohio airport officials said there were fewer flights last year -- but more passengers.

About 229,000 flights arrived or departed Cleveland Hopkins International Airport last January through November. That's about 21,000 fewer flights than the same period in 2005. But the number of passengers grew by 200,000 to 10.6 million.

Flights were down by 4 percent at Akron-Canton Airport while passenger counts increased slightly.

The numbers mean more crowded flights.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

lincoln

Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:45 pm

Quoting GoCOgo (Reply 12):
While I'm sure the city would love to pay less, that's not the point of the city's estimate. It's for budgetary purposes. If the estimates are higher, the cash isn't in the budget, so they are rejected. The bidder's don't know what the city estimate says to try and match it.

I'm not sure how it legally works in Ohio (even though I've lived here for a year and a half), but in California the advertisement for bids / RFP usually includes the architect/engineer's estimated cost for the project. Having this information can be helpful for making sure both parties understand the scope (If the engineer's estimate is $2.3m and you're thinking $900,000 you know that something's not quite right).

One, possibly overly simplistic, way to think of it is when you're buying a airline ticket. You estimate the cost to be $375, and that's what your budget for the trip is. When you get the bids (i.e. go to Travelocity or whatever) and the prices are $500, $525, $600, ... you say "oh, shoot, I can't afford that now..." and postpone the trip.

Lincoln

[Edited 2007-01-07 04:55:09]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting GoCOgo (Reply 12):

I'm familiar with the estimating and budgeting process in the public sector. Heck, right now I'm in the middle of a project for a major agency within my fair state.

Maybe the city's engineer should have asked for help when figuring what a runway actually costs. This happens all the time with software too. Public sector client figures it should cost about 1/2 of what it actually does because they never bother to ask.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

masseybrown

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:54 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 15):
Maybe the city's engineer should have asked for help when figuring what a runway actually costs. This happens all the time with software too. Public sector client figures it should cost about 1/2 of what it actually does because they never bother to ask.

It was strange they missed the estimates by so much, since the city had just completed the two phase (7000ft+2000ft) construction of 6L/24R. You might have thought a 2500ft extension to 6R/24L would have had a fairly predictable cost.

masseybrown

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Rather than start a new thread, Commair's DH2's have shown up in CO schedule flying one daily flight to MDT, HPN, and JFK effective March 2, replacing ERJs.

fun2fly

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 16):
It was strange they missed the estimates by so much, since the city had just completed the two phase (7000ft+2000ft) construction of 6L/24R. You might have thought a 2500ft extension to 6R/24L would have had a fairly predictable cost.

And I thought this was the one thing that MOK was good at! Massey, what's your % guess that it happens?

N766UA

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 17):
Commair's DH2's have shown up in CO schedule flying one daily flight to MDT, HPN, and JFK effective March 2, replacing ERJs.

Very interesting. They're starting to replace ERJs instead of B1900s... hmm.

Speaking of asthetic improvements, anyone else think the "going places" slogan is a bit overused? It's on every garbage can, every wall, and every other pillar in the parking garage. Nevermind the billboards and buses...
This Website Censors Me

redngold

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:02 am

Commair's DH2's have shown up in CO schedule flying one daily flight to MDT, HPN, and JFK effective March 2, replacing ERJs.

I'm sure the HPN folk are going to pitch a  hissyfit  about that, if Commutair completely replaces ExpressJet on the route... They always want jet service, snacks and a drink... I've also benefited from the ERJ flights, and I'm sort of spoiled too at this point.  grumpy 

As for the airport, things looked good when I went through in the last two weeks... although I agree that the CLEaner airport signs are annoying at best. It seems like begging, and I was ticked that I even spent the time reading them at all.
Up, up and away!

Falcon84

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 4):
Speaking of security, what's up with closing the 'C' exit at night? I can understand why they would close the checkpoint, but there's nothing more irritating than getting off a 5+ hour flight, walking to where you should be able to head straight to baggage claim and instead seeign a sign and having to walk several hundred feet further, just to go down an escalator, make a U-Turn and backtrack to baggage claim 9, then walk back to the parking structure.(

That's completely a $$$ thing, from what I understand. No one wants to pay the extra $$$ to have a TSA employee sit there during slower hours so no one come in through the exit area. It was open for a while about a month back again, but some lady who doesn't speak english somehow got onto the concurse through the exit, and it's been closed since.

Rather than start a new thread, Commair's DH2's have shown up in CO schedule flying one daily flight to MDT, HPN, and JFK effective March 2, replacing ERJs.

Hadn't seen that yet. The JFK flight does make sense, simply for the reason that the DH2's have a lot more bin space for baggage than the SRJ. And JFK is always top-heavy with checked international bags. HPN surprises me, though. That's usually a good route.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ncflyer

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:07 am

I remember the days when CLE was heavily promoted as an all jet hub by CO. . . . it's all down hill if the props are going to serve exising markets rather than opening new ones. Maybe the new generation of props is better, but the ones I flew on 10 years or so ago were noisy and slow.

N231YE

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:18 pm

Anything else planned?

Sorry, I forgot to mention this in my last post...but I believe a new control tower is also in the mix.

HPAEAA

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:33 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 23):
...but I believe a new control tower is also in the mix.

I heard that too, I never really understood why, the one they have isn't that old (10 years) or so iirc... anyone else know why they might need one?
Why do I fly???

masseybrown

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting FUN2FLY (Reply 18):
And I thought this was the one thing that MOK was good at! Massey, what's your % guess that it happens?

Just my opinion (and I live 350 miles away) but: it's 100% certain that something will happen, although it may be the 10,000ft-plus compromise the city talked about last summer - a compromise that is fine for 99% of pax needs but limits future international freight operations.

While another freighter or two isn't all that important to the airport at the moment, it is to the city's long-term development, as Cleveland's economy completes its big shift out of commodity manufacture and into high-value/lb. products that require airlift. I think the suggested compromise would be very short-sighted, but budgets are budgets.

BOAC911

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:00 pm

They are currently operating 4 daily ERJ-145 flights on this route (approx 200 seats). Which begs the question: Could they make two daily frequencies on 735's work?

I suppose they prefer to maintain a higher number of daily frequencies for competivitve reasons. AA offers 4 or 5 daily departures to DFW.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

HPAEAA

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:42 pm

Quoting BOAC911 (Reply 26):
They are currently operating 4 daily ERJ-145 flights on this route (approx 200 seats). Which begs the question: Could they make two daily frequencies on 735's work?

I suppose they prefer to maintain a higher number of daily frequencies for competivitve reasons. AA offers 4 or 5 daily departures to DFW.

currently AA and COX match schedules.. COX 4 Daily MQ 4 Daily CR7, the only difference is that COX adds one extra flight during peak periods.... I would think with business traffice they could make 1 or two work.... just my .02
Why do I fly???

flyinryan99

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting BOAC911 (Reply 26):

I think with an increase in seats by CommutAir they are going to need to do something. I don't think you'd see only 2 735's but maybe something more like 3 735's or 2 735's and 2 ER4's.

As many have said, they will be upgrading and replacing with the loss of RJs in the CO system. It was mentioned a month ago or so there was going to be two more banks added into the CLE schedule. Has that been finalized yet? Thanks..

bucknut

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:11 am

There also has been a lot of talk about Northwest moving to A concourse. Hopefully they can upgrade customs on C4 through C8. It only makes sence to have it on C, thats why it won't happen. I hope I'm wrong. Go Buck's!!!!!!

lincoln

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting Bucknut (Reply 29):
There also has been a lot of talk about Northwest moving to A concourse.

Really? Wow. Does CO want the gates full-time or is there some other reason for the proposed move? I've always thought with how tight NW and CO are that the location made some amount of sense [Actually, my first CO flight out of CLE left from one of NW's gates with the little roll-around CO podium].

Lincoln
(Who is the only one in the office, and possibly the only one in the state of Ohio not wearing crimson today...guess us California transplants missed the memo  Sad )

bucknut

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:40 am

I believe they have been trying to get these gates for some time now. They would be full-time. With the Q-200's coming on this spring, gate space we be constrained again. It looks like they will be on piers 17 and 28. The wing span is too large for pier 25. Concourse A isn't that far.

bucknut

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 28):
Has that been finalized yet?

Yes, it starts the last week in feb, I believe the 22nd. The 2007 bank scedule is out and tues and wed are full through out the year. There maybe a few weeks that aren't full, I will look at it more closely.

N766UA

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 24):
anyone else know why they might need one?

The current tower isn't tall enough to provide good visability if the 11,250 foot extension is completed. Both are on hold.

As for NW moving, AA to my knowledge is going to be moving to the back side of A, so maybe NW could take over their current 3 gates.
This Website Censors Me

N231YE

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 33):
The current tower isn't tall enough to provide good visability if the 11,250 foot extension is completed. Both are on hold.

Tower isn't tall enough as stated.

In addition, people over at CLE I know state that the ATC are "whiners"...and that they complain about the elevators, space, and air conditioning up in the current tower. I am not sure how true that is, but is pretty interesting.

masseybrown

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:27 am

There is apparently an interesting possibility mentioned on the opShots board that the new tower could be on the NASA side of the runways - providing the best visibility of all ramps/runways.

Falcon84

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Ncflyer (Reply 22):
it's all down hill if the props are going to serve exising markets rather than opening new ones.

Why? If it's more economical to do so, then it makes sense. And besides, most customers don't really care, as long as it's safe and reliable. I would rather see the DH8's on new markets to begin with, but, in time, Commutair will have a very nice route structure out of here, with aircraft that won't get weight-restricted as much, and that have more baggage space than an ER3.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 30):
Really? Wow. Does CO want the gates full-time or is there some other reason for the proposed move?

CO had made an agreement last year with NW to permanentlly take over C-8 and C-10. That hasn't happened yet, but haven't heard that it won't. If CO could pick up 4 more gates-3 of which a re 757/widebody capable, we'll take them.

I't be more convenient for NW to go to B, with the codeshare, and they DO connect a lot of people to us, but if it helps CO, I'm all for it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

mbm3

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 35):
There is apparently an interesting possibility mentioned on the opShots board that the new tower could be on the NASA side of the runways - providing the best visibility of all ramps/runways

I have heard/seen that as well and it does make sense. Plus, I think it would be "easier" as it would not involve a loss of gates as other solutions would entail.

Quoting N766UA (Reply 33):
As for NW moving, AA to my knowledge is going to be moving to the back side of A, so maybe NW could take over their current 3 gates.

I hope this does happen. Sure, it makes things more difficult for the NW/CO connections, but it opens up some much needed gates. Terminals D is packed during peak periods, and I dont think there is much room to grown with walkout gates such as D28. Plus, adding a new customs facility to the NW side of Terminal C makes perfect sense and would most likely allow direct access to landside (rather than everyone reclearing security).

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 21):
No one wants to pay the extra $$$ to have a TSA employee sit there during slower hours so no one come in through the exit area. It was open for a while about a month back again, but some lady who doesn't speak english somehow got onto the concurse through the exit, and it's been closed since.

So making paying customers walk three times as far to baggage claim is the solution? Man does this frustrate me - and it seems to be closing earlier and earlier each time I return at night.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

Falcon84

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 37):
So making paying customers walk three times as far to baggage claim is the solution? Man does this frustrate me - and it seems to be closing earlier and earlier each time I return at night.

Yeah, me too. I don't clock out till 2130, so it's closed by the time I get there as well.
Work Right, Fly Hard

mbm3

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
Yeah, me too. I don't clock out till 2130, so it's closed by the time I get there as well.

I dont mind it all that much when I dont check bags, but when I do it is a pain in the rear backtracking to grab bags. I can imagine it is the same for you if you are taking the shuttle to the employee lot.

By the way - if you are in the Ops Tower you have one heckuva view of the field!  Smile

N231YE

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 39):
By the way - if you are in the Ops Tower you have one heckuva view of the field!  

The Operations Tower sure is nice...love the catwalk around it, I got some good photos of AF1 when it came to CLE in either late July or August.

mbm3

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 40):
The Operations Tower sure is nice...love the catwalk around it, I got some good photos of AF1 when it came to CLE in either late July or August.

Very nice indeed. Pretty cool about AF1, all I was fortunate enough to see was a United 767 carrying the Broncos in for a Browns game.

lincoln

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 37):

Every time I get off a flight I hear countless other pax grumbling, and you're right it does seem to be closing earlier and earlier. Surely CLE's biggest tennant could swing some weight and at least get the one open checkpoint moved...[yeah, this would irritate the pax in A, but I would be happy, me, me, me  Wink ]

I wonder if some kind of 'man trap' / 'sally port' could be implemented to facilitate unattended one-way passage...Heck, I would be willing to pay to avoid hauling my lazy ass down to B and back. Put out a credit card swipe maching that accepts Amex and I'll expense it; I'd even pay cash out of pocket.

Lincoln

Falcon84

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 39):
By the way - if you are in the Ops Tower you have one heckuva view of the field!

It is.  Smile You should see it when a huge thunderstorm rolls in-it may not help the Ops much, but the view you get is incredible.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N231YE

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 43):
It is.   You should see it when a huge thunderstorm rolls in-it may not help the Ops much, but the view you get is incredible.

And I am still trying to figure out which Ops person you are..."Fish," Paul, Hugh, maybe Jack, I must be missing someone in here...

lincoln

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 41):
Very nice indeed. Pretty cool about AF1, all I was fortunate enough to see was a United 767 carrying the Broncos in for a Browns game.

I was at the airport on that day -- doing the A/V Control System Programming for the Anthony Hopkins room near the end of A... One of the airport guys was suposed to warn us prior to arrival, but I never got to see the bird in person...just on the news that night.

I did see one of the (C-17?) support aircraft over by NASA, though.

Lincoln

mbm3

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 45):
I was at the airport on that day -- doing the A/V Control System Programming for the Anthony Hopkins room near the end of A... One of the airport guys was suposed to warn us prior to arrival, but I never got to see the bird in person...just on the news that night.

It was just a fluke for me. My tour happened to be up in the tower at the right time and it was quite a sight amongst all of the jungle jets!

Falcon84

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 44):
And I am still trying to figure out which Ops person you are..."Fish," Paul, Hugh, maybe Jack, I must be missing someone in here...

Those are names I haven't heard-maybe they'er MX ops people in the D tower. I reside in the C ops tower at night.

And you know my name: Falcon84  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

N231YE

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 47):
Those are names I haven't heard-maybe they'er MX ops people in the D tower. I reside in the C ops tower at night.

I am thinking of the Airport Operations Tower, at the end of concourse B.

N231YE

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:17 am

Make that the real Ops Tower-the guys who get to drive 4x4s on the runways and handle disputes between CO employees and janitors  biggrin .