klwright69

Who Remembers Sabena?

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:33 am

I have a funny experience to share...

Today I was at DEN purchasing a ticket on SA)">CO.

I looked up at the arrivals screens out of curiosity. Anyway, as most of you know, not only do the airlines list their own arriving flights, but they also list the SAME flight several times from the same city, but with different flight numbers representing their codeshare partners, which are also named.

As I looked at the screen, I noticed an AA flight from ORD. Right below it, it listed the same flight but the carrier was Iberia, and a flight number of 8 thousand something. Right below that, it actually had another codeshare version of the same flight, but this time, the airline was listed as SABENA, and the flight number was 7 thousand something.

Do they mean SN Brussels? Or is the person maintaining that data unaware that Sabena is no longer around???

EMBQA

RE: Who Remembers Sabena?

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:34 am

Who remembers....?? It's only been a few years.....
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AirCop

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting Klwright69 (Thread starter):
I noticed an AA flight from ORD.

the airline was listed as SABENA,

Sometimes American is slow getting the news. Perhaps by 2015 they will realize that Sabena, then SN Brussels, is now known as Brussels Airlines.

brons2

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:38 am

I remember Sabena...I flew them DFW-BRU-GVA in 2001.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

Viscount724

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:53 am

Brussels Airlines (formerly SN Brussels) codeshare on AA flights between BRU and the US, so it must have been that flight number, but with the obsolete name that probably still appears in the airport information system database.

Reminds me of a couple of my flights on the "real" Sabena ORD-BRU in the 1980s sometime, using DC-10-30 combis with cargo in the forward cabin.

Elagabal

Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:01 pm

I also remember Sabena, having ridden JFK - MAN with them. Pleasant and memorable flights for me, with the trilingual newspapers and good food.

On one of the long-hauls, in transit at BRU and during boarding, I did witness unequal and unjustified treatment of passengers based (so it seemed) on colour and national origin. A Nigerian lady -- yes, I know, but her papers were completely in order; I know because I saw them gone over thoroughly at check-in -- was given a brusque and officious welcome, having her papers unnecessesarily rifled over and over again. This was pre-9/11, mind. She was very nice to me, so it wasn't from her end either. Although, one should not hang a few crew members' sins on an entire airline...

I know their business plan was just absurd, but one can always feel regret. RIP Sabena.

How's SN Brussels? Haven't flown 'em yet.

Jeremy

Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Of course!
They were my first flight on a foreign carrier.
BOS-BRU-BOS on an A-310-300 back in June of 1993.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

LoneStarMike

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:37 pm

The person maintaining the data probably thinks these are current ads for Sabena.

LoneStarMike

USADreamliner

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 2):
Sometimes American is slow getting the news.

Sometimes..? you are too kind. LOL

ChinaClipper40

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:09 pm

I remember Sabena with fondness. Never had a bad flight with them. They always seemed to go above and beyond the normal call of duty when it came to passenger service. Once I was flying JFK-BRU-BCN and my then 12 year old son was flying unaccompanied from Madrid to Barcelona to meet me. On departure from JFK, we got caught by weather conditions and a LONG waiting queue for takeoff. In fact, we were more than 4 hours late departing JFK. I mentioned to a flight attendant that I was worried about the late departure because it would certainly cause me to miss my connection in BRU, be very delayed getting into BCN, and my unaccompanied minor child would be left to fend for himself in an unfamiliar European city. She relayed that information to the flight deck. And something quite remarkable happened. Although I had not requested it, the flight deck crew relayed the information to company headquarters in Brussels, who in turn relayed it to their offices in Madrid. The Sabena people in Madrid then went to the effort of tracking down my son at his Madrid hotel, telling him I would be late, arranging for him to be permitted a late checkout from his Madrid hotel, and arranging for him to take a different flight (on a different airline into the bargain - Iberia) that would get him into BCN at an appropriate time to mesh with my own arrival. I honestly don't believe I've ever experienced finer service from any airline. I miss Sabena. They may have had a poor business plan, and may have lost money. But they sure knew how to make a worried father comfortable. How many other airlines would go to those lengths?

ChinaClipper40

klwright69

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:35 pm

I flew SABENA to Turkey in 1989, so I certainly remember them..

The "who remembers SABENA" title was meant to be kind of a joke, I know it wasn't that long ago.

My point was that most people in DEN seeing this have probably never heard of SABENA, let alone know it no longer exists.

ytib

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:36 pm

The monitors throughout the airport at DEN are maintained by the City of Denver.

shanderawx

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Sabena scared the breakfast out of me in Brussels one morning, about 1992,
in the early fall. We took off onto NY in a widebody (747?) and as we reached the end of the runway came to a sudden stop; ok, the pilot turned
the plane around and tried again, but did the same thing a second
time, suddenly stopping before taking off. This time he went back
to the terminal, we sat for maybe 30 minutes, and then took off ok,
no explanations overhead were ever given!

ordryan28

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:52 pm

The airline of Sabena is an aviation "legend." They are as infamous as BA, KL, and LH. It's too bad there was a collapse, but as for the information on the screen..

Or is the person maintaining that data unaware that Sabena is no longer around???

...probably just stoned.  Big grin
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

ordryan28

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:58 pm

..didn't SN Brussels plan to rename the airline Sabena, after the late airline?

blueflyer

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:08 pm

Quoting ORDRyan28 (Reply 14):
..didn't SN Brussels plan to rename the airline Sabena, after the late airline?

No. There were rumors floating around that they might, but the owners of SN Brussels Airlines decided against using the name Sabena again, one of the reasons being the cost. The "old" Sabena is still being liquidated and anyone who would want to use the name has to buy or license it from the bankruptcy administrator

As for Sabena, I remember the people fondly. My first (desk) job was for a division of Sabena.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

ordryan28

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 15):

No. There were rumors floating around that they might, but the owners of SN Brussels Airlines decided against using the name Sabena again, one of the reasons being the cost. The "old" Sabena is still being liquidated and anyone who would want to use the name has to buy or license it from the bankruptcy administrator

thanks for the clear up, BlueFlyer.

CV990

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:30 pm

Hi!

Well I actually think the title for this topic is very good. It didn't pass too long but I think a lot of people already forgot SABENA and other airlines....people now think more about the "Great Battle of Boeing versus Airbus" and other 99% related topics! So this topic is a kind of fresh air to me!!!
I grew up seeing SABENA regulary at LIS, I remember very well their flights from BRU to LIS with the Caravelle VI-N, the 727-029 ( great days, really great days those ones!!! ) and then the 737. SABENA also had a flight that passed LIS on the way to Casablanca with the good old 707! Shortly before SABENA withdrew their old 707-329's I remember seeing OO-SJA at LIS maybe in 1979 or even 1980, I don't remember well. On the 24th. September 1981 I had the chance to fly for the first and only time SABENA, flying a 737-229C, OO-SDJ from BRU to CDG and I remember when I took-off seeing two 707-329's already stored there, OO-SJA and OO-SJD. Also the first time I saw a DC-10 at LIS was a SABENA one that for any reason stopped here from South America, still with the first livery, really awesome!

The good old 727!!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kjell Nilsson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kjell Nilsson

And the DC-10 with the livery I saw it here in LIS!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar

Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

AJO

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:32 am

I saw an advertisement for Qualiflyer, the long-defunct Frequent Flyer program of Swissair, Sabena and other airlines, a couple of weeks ago in some airport (somewhere in the UK: MAN, LPL, LGW), which also reminded me of Sabena and the cheap AMS-BRU-JFK tickets they once offered.
bla

afay1

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:38 am

Those Qualiflyer brochures lingered in Swissair/Swiss offices and airport stations around the world LONG after Qualiflyer ceased to exist. I flew Sabena near the end, I remember it, but really don't want to.

MSYtristar

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:41 am

I flew Sabena in November '99 from BOS to BRU. A330-300. I remember the aircraft was very comfortable, but the service was mediocre. They kept the main cabin lights on for roughly half of the six hour flight, so it was difficult to sleep. Very smooth Airbus landing in BRU, of course. Overall it was nice to fly them since not long after they dissapeared from the skies.

OA260

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:43 am

Such A Bad Experience Never Again ..... and that is how I will remember my flight with them , it was one of the worst trips I ever had !!!!

LHR-BRU-ATH-BRU-LHR all the flights were terrible.

1stfl94

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:56 am

Was meant to fly with them but the day before we were to go I picked up the newspaper and saw that they had collapsed. Ended up on Ryanair to Charleroi, though from what I've heard about Sabena service, especially in the last couple of years, Ryanair was generally the preferred choice.

ordryan28

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):
Such A Bad Experience Never Again ..... and that is how I will remember my flight with them , it was one of the worst trips I ever had !!!!

LHR-BRU-ATH-BRU-LHR all the flights were terrible.

really? wow...everyone I talked to that have flown them (I haven't personally) liked them a lot. What was bad- the service, the room in the plane, delay?

-Ryan

afay1

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:22 am

For me I will never get over them losing my ticket record, in their final year of operation, and it taking 3 months to fix it, with no apology ever offerred other than the excuse "we are bankrupt, what do you expect?" It was a good thing I called to check on something with the ticket ahead of time or I would have been stranded by those idiots. I literally was on conference calls with Brussels and New York ticket agents with them yelling at each other. Their onboard service was passable at best in economy, surly at worst. Since my only experiences with them are in their period of decline, I cannot attest to their better years...

Beaucaire

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:19 am

It's an absolute shame that the current managers of SN-Brussels are so focussed on code-share and European flights !
They should have ordered -or leased- more long-haul planes to expand into Africa and the USA...
I have many good souvenirs of flights into Africa and the USA (Atlanta,Boston.. )
My favoured was the day-flight to Jo'burg...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Sabena332

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:37 am

Ah... Sabena, my all time favourite airline. I'll always remember my BRU-ATL flight on them back in June 1999, a brand new A330-200 with PTVs and an inflight bar service I've never experienced again on another airline. Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

AirAmericaC46

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:09 am

Anybody has the timetable featuring the world's shortest 747 route? SN 743 to Brazzaville-Kinshasa-----I need flight schedules of the entire routing, flight number and year opf service.Thanks for the info.

jcavinato

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:57 am

What was cool about them was having the only Europe-South Africa day flight. Everyone else had/has night flights. For my first trip to South Africa, it was great to have a window seat for this top-bottom continent ride.

On the down side, my first flight with them was a New York- BRU. It was during a flight attendant slow down. So right after take off they served everyone their meals, then disappeared, and did not return to take away the trays until a half hour before landing.

ikramerica

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting LoneStarMike (Reply 7):
LoneStarMike

Somewhere between those two ads, Sabena invented 2 new principal cities, since both times they claimed to fly to ALL of them...  Wink

Such A Bad Experience Never Again

I remember a poor experience, and never again because they are gone.

CVG-BRU-TLV-BRU-ORD-CVG (on DL).

A340 in Y was horrible in comfort, Sobelair 767 flying for SN was cramped and horrible, 743 in Y was fine. I don't recall the food, so I guess it was edible and filling enough.  Smile
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

airbazar

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:21 am

That's how I remember them too  Smile

AlitaliaMD11

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:22 am

I remember seeing their MD-11s at EWR.
No Vueling No Party

ordryan28

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:22 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 26):
Ah... Sabena, my all time favourite airline. I'll always remember my BRU-ATL flight on them back in June 1999, a brand new A330-200 with PTVs and an inflight bar service I've never experienced again on another airline. Big grin

For a minute there I thought you said "I'll always remember my Brutal flight on them back in June 1999.." lol

but anyway, the A330-200, along with the in-flight bar service must've rocked!  Big grin

R.I.P. Sabena...

DETA737

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:54 am

As someone who has been a member here for a while, I definately remember the topics just before Sabena went under. There were lenghty debates about whether or not they would make it. Though the airline was constantly unprofitable it attempted to compete with the big four in Europe (AF, BA, KL, LH) across the Atlantic and lost tons of money in the process.

The last I remember of Sabena was when I flew out of JFK on August 31, 2001 JFK-STL on TWA and saw two A330s next to each other at T4, one Sabena and another Swissair. That was the last day I ever saw the aircraft of those three now-defunct carriers.

OA260

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting ORDRyan28 (Reply 23):
really? wow...everyone I talked to that have flown them (I haven't personally) liked them a lot. What was bad- the service, the room in the plane, delay?

Every flight was delayed, the crew were rude and we miss connected on the return in Brussels and I was on a through ticket so they were responsible for getting me to LHR. In the end I went to the then ''British Midland'' desk and begged them to let us on the plane , the BD guy called the Sabena desk and then we had to go to the desk to get a FIM which BD then accepted for the LHR flight. The guy at the SN desk was rude and told me that I didnt know what I was talking about and that SN didnt have to get me to LHR . Pure BS of course. Actually re living it im still MAD !!! At the time I nearly threw a party when they went bust but on reflection I am sorry for the staff who lost their jobs. Funny thing was my mate who has no interest in planes at all said a few weeks ago at a party ''Do you remember that bloody awful flight to Athens with that Belgian airline...what was it called '' LOL

I remember going to Brussels a few days after they went bust and saw all the parked A/C and shut down check in desks , it was like a ghost terminal and I guess that was sad but I have never missed them !!!

Swiss Air went down also but I was really sad about that and it was a tradgedy. Good thing is now that flying LX is kind of like flying SwissAir with a new livery and the same good Swiss service. I was on them two weeks ago and I love them.

jcavinato

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:38 am

I worked at Swiss Air with a consulting/training assignment every couple of weeks during the late 90s. All our sessions were in Brussels, and because of the SwissAir investment in Sabena folks from there were always in the sessions.

The night a copier caught on fire and burned much of their parts warehouse as well as most of company headquarters offices took a lot of company files up in flames. I remember the head of HR saying that it was actually an opportunity. The reason being that there were now no copies of the management organization remaining except for the one that was in a briefcase in the trunk of his car. He never owned up to it. From the next day on they reconstituted an organization based upon how people were actually getting the work done rather than try to reconstitute the charts.

clipper707

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:55 am

I remember working the ramp in DTW for Pan Am in the 80's and We had the contract for Sabena. The first flt was a B-707-combi. BRU-DTW-MEX Then came the B-747-combi and DC-10-combi. BRU-YMX-DTW. The flights were always packed to the gills!!! During the winter months we would get a B-737 from YMX-DTW. I worked side by side with some of the best airline employees.
I never had the chance to fly SN but I would have loved to.
The Clippers Gone But Not Forgotten

jetdeltamsy

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:02 am

Or is the person maintaining that data unaware that Sabena is no longer around???

It is quite possible the programmers have never changed the displayed name.

Isn't the code still SN?

Interesting observation.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Viscount724

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting AirAmericaC46 (Reply 27):
Anybody has the timetable featuring the world's shortest 747 route? SN 743 Brazzaville-Kinshasa-----I need flight schedules of the entire routing, flight number and year opf service.Thanks for the info.

I didn't know SN operated that 14 nm sector. I know UTA did for a while, with a DC-10 once or twice a week. No doubt one of the shortest widebody sectors ever. Brazzaville and Kinshasa are the only two capital cities of two countries that face each other across a river (Congo river very wide there).

texan

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:23 am

Have a couple pics of the 330 landing at DFW from a few years ago when they were at Terminal A/2E. Was a treat to have them here.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

VC10DC10

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:47 am

SABENA always makes me think of Tintin. Herge, the Belgian artist who created, wrote, and drew the Tintin books for more than 40 years, did some posters for SABENA in the 1930s. Occasionally Tintin is shown flying SABENA. In about 1997 SABENA published a timetable with Tintin and his dog Snowy on the cover and entitled it "Time Flies." A lovely tribute, I thought. I agree it's too bad that they are no longer around, but I suppose that's only to be expected: the takeover by Swissair Group or whatever they were called certainly boded no good for the company.

ordryan28

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 34):
OA260

lol, I feel your pain, OA260. I guess that's a legit reason to dislike them..lol!

ordryan28

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:31 pm

Quoting AlitaliaMD11 (Reply 31):
I remember seeing their MD-11s at EWR.

ah..yes, their good ole tri-jets. I remember seeing those at ORD, along with their 743's, 330's, and 340's. My favorite was seeing their 743's in the old color scheme...must've been around '99 or '00. Loved those birds!

OA260

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:01 pm

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 40):
SABENA always makes me think of Tintin. Herge, the Belgian artist who created, wrote, and drew the Tintin books for more than 40 years, did some posters for SABENA in the 1930s. Occasionally Tintin is shown flying SABENA. In about 1997 SABENA published a timetable with Tintin and his dog Snowy on the cover and entitled it "Time Flies." A lovely tribute, I thought. I agree it's too bad that they are no longer around, but I suppose that's only to be expected: the takeover by Swissair Group or whatever they were called certainly boded no good for the company.

Well I love Tintin ...lol....cant believe i admitted that!! Do you have any links to the posters ??? Would love to see them.

tonforty

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:26 pm

I remember Sabena with fondness as I had my first 747 flight with them. It was BRU - ORD on a 743 in October 1998. I remember the service was very good. Our flight GLA - BRU was late so we got bussed straight from the Avro/RJ to the 743 which was pretty cool.

1stfl94

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 43):
Well I love Tintin ...lol....cant believe i admitted that!! Do you have any links to the posters ??? Would love to see them

http://www.airchive.com/Timetables%2...s/Europe2004/SABENAcover9610-2.jpg

Here you go, site also has some of the inside of the timetable but Tintin's only on the cover.

jetfan727

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:34 pm

I had some of the best flights in my whole life on Sabena. Service was always top-notch, and when they started their new C- Class on the then newly delivered A330-200s, they were at that time the best in C-Class legroom, with 60 inches. And let's not forget their outstanding safety !
Miss them very, very much....

OA260

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 45):
Here you go, site also has some of the inside of the timetable but Tintin's only on the cover.

Thanks nice pic , theres a museum in Brussels that I went to and they have all Tin Tin memorabilia, didnt see any SN / Tin tin posters though.

delta762

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:22 pm

I had a great trip on Sabena atl-bru-gva in 2000 in business class. Good service!

Delta762

ikramerica

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:23 am

Quoting Tonforty (Reply 44):
It was BRU - ORD on a 743 in October 1998.

That was my last segment on them too, but July 1998.

And as I wrote, it was the only good segment of the 4 on that trip. They 743 product was well done on that airline. Other planes, not in my experience.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.