FlyDeltaJets87
Topic Author

"Airports" Category On Jeopardy Tonight

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:39 am

So tonight in the first round, there was the a category "Airports". However, it was not a simple "Give the Code" and the contestants give the city. The closest they came was "CDG in Paris is named for this man" (Charles De Gaulle).
Other questions included "This general aviation airport just 10 miles south of Dayton, OH is named for these two" (The Wright Brothers) and "The Airport in Warsaw, Poland is named for this composer (Chopan) and "The Airport in Pisa is named for this man, who performed experiments off the Leaning Tower of Pisa" (Galileo).
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

richierich

RE: "Airports" Category On Jeopardy Tonight

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:45 am

I'm glad they had a topic like that.
It would be a little much to just have a clue saying "NRT" and expecting contestants to come up with "What is Tokyo/Narita?"
None shall pass!!!!

FlyDeltaJets87
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 1):
It would be a little much to just have a clue saying "NRT" and expecting contestants to come up with "What is Tokyo/Narita?"

I've seen that done before though, and I remember them using "AKL" (Auckland, New Zealand) and me not knowing what it was at the time (I was like 14 at the time). I knew the US codes they posted which were like the first two, but then they went to international codes and I didn't know any of them, though the contestants did.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

roseflyer

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am

It's kind of weird to have a category about who airports are named after. I know jeopardy is about a vast amount of knowledge, but even aviation experts don't know this stuff. I guess the geographic clues were enough.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

10mid

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:40 am

In late Nov there was a category on airport codes.

I remember ANC, IAD were there. It was all US airports.

AirAmericaC46

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:16 pm

Decades ago, there was a category in Jeopardy----AIRLINES.
Some of the questions were----1) what is the name of the national flag carrier of Germany (Lufthansa). 2) what country is the airline KLM based (Netherlands). 3) This airline started as Queensland and Northern Territory Air Services (QANTAS)

PER744

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:00 am

They did airline codes within the last week also.

richierich

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting AirAmericaC46 (Reply 5):
Decades ago, there was a category in Jeopardy----AIRLINES.
Some of the questions were----1) what is the name of the national flag carrier of Germany (Lufthansa). 2) what country is the airline KLM based (Netherlands). 3) This airline started as Queensland and Northern Territory Air Services (QANTAS)

Decades ago?!

Good thing the contestants didn't have to correctly spell QANTAS for Final Jeopardy. I know lots of a.netters screw it up, so one can only imagine how it would be on a tv show!
None shall pass!!!!