unitednrt

United Express To Offer SPI-IAD

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:45 am

"Springfield to get Washington flights under subsidy deal

Associated Press
Published January 5, 2007, 12:32 PM CST

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- United Airlines will offer service between the Illinois capital and the nation's capital under a deal that could require taxpayer subsidies.

The United Express flights between Springfield and Washington are to start April 27."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...-springfieldflight,1,1947059.story
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

Danairbus

RE: United Express To Offer SPI-IAD

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:51 am

What type of aircraft are they using on this route?

unitednrt

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am

The flight isn't loaded yet, but chances are in the SPI market CRJ-200 equipment will be used.
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

IADLHR

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:05 am

I had hoped it would be PIA-IAD as it does seem to appear that there is a market for central Illinois to the DC area.

MAH4546

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:16 am

The "Capital-to-Capital" connection makes sense here, especially considering that Illinois is the 5th most populous state. Hope it works out for them.

Going off on a tanget, but I fail to see how Tallahasse, Florida still has no non-stops to DC-area.
a.

copaair737

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:20 am

MAH- I would have thought TLH would have DC service before SPI. I guess anything is possible though in the world of commercial aviation.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

CIDFlyer

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:29 am

Interesting, and good for SPI. I've often wondered why UA hasn't had more midwestern cities connected to the IAD hub to relieve some pressure from ORD.

MAH4546

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 5):
MAH- I would have thought TLH would have DC service before SPI. I guess anything is possible though in the world of commercial aviation.

Yup. Nevermind the fact that Tallahasse has more than triple the daily O&D to DC than SPI.
a.

IADLHR

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:34 am

I am planning to go to central iIlinois in June and will probably take this flight and drive to PIA to avoid being delayed by the typicall thurnerstorsm etc affecting a flight to and a connection at ORD.

OzarkD9S

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 pm

Ozark used to operate PIA-CMI-IAD-LGA return twice daily in the 70's with DC-9's. There IS a market there...SPI-PIA-IAD-PIA-SPI would do fairly well in a CRJ.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

cloudy

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:28 pm

Whether this works or not depends on two things -

1. The state workers going to Washington on business use it.
2. The fares are reasonable.

As to why we got the service rather than Talahassee, maybe there was political involvement beyond the public guarantees. Political influence in Illinois would be more usefull to United then influence in Florida. Also, a lot depends on what service is available in nearby communities. There isn't any in central Illinois. You have to go to Chicago or Saint Louis. Don't know if Talahassee is in the same situation or not.....

planespotting

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:26 pm

Wow, didn't see this one coming, but I like it.

alluding to what CIDflyer said, it does seem like UA could serve a sizable chunk of Midwestern capitals and IAD with at least one flight per day (SPI, MSP, DSM, MSN, etc...), not only for O&D traffic but east coast connecting traffic as well. 50 round trip seats more in each market per day would be a small addition percentage wise (except for SPI), and it would be worth the sacrifice of an ORD or DEN non stop as well.

Something to think about, but good for SPI.

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 9):
Ozark used to operate PIA-CMI-IAD-LGA return twice daily in the 70's with DC-9's. There IS a market there...SPI-PIA-IAD-PIA-SPI would do fairly well in a CRJ.

they also used to do something like LGA-MLI-SUX-FSD...(and a whole slew of other interesting east coast - midwest flights)...
Do you like movies about gladiators?

United777atGU

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 11):
alluding to what CIDflyer said, it does seem like UA could serve a sizable chunk of Midwestern capitals and IAD with at least one flight per day (SPI, MSP, DSM, MSN, etc...), not only for O&D traffic but east coast connecting traffic as well. 50 round trip seats more in each market per day would be a small addition percentage wise (except for SPI), and it would be worth the sacrifice of an ORD or DEN non stop as well.

Something to think about, but good for SPI.

It would also help with the misconnects who have to travel through DEN or ORD to get to IAD for east coast/international service. I hate to see when 902/DEN or 950/ORD comes in late and creating havoc for pax trying to get to their final destinations when they could have come in direct to IAD. Great idea, ya'll. I think we need to connect more midwest cities to IAD. We also need to connect more of the South as well since we are so weak down there.
Speechless

United767

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting United777atGU (Reply 12):
Great idea, ya'll. I think we need to connect more midwest cities to IAD. We also need to connect more of the South as well since we are so weak down there.

yes  I would love to see RFD non-stop out of IAD (old hometown, still home to family) and would like to see maybe service starting to Jackson,MS or even Gulfpoprt,MS service from IAD as well. Just a thought  smile 
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

OzarkD9S

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:49 am

they also used to do something like LGA-MLI-SUX-FSD...(and a whole slew of other interesting east coast - midwest flights)...

LGA-PIA-SUX-DEN was operated off and on, but the primary pre-deregulation routing was X-PIA-CMI-IAD-LGA. That was for many years Ozark's ONLY East Coast access. IAD was later moved to BWI, and eventually all of Ozark's East Coast flights operated from STL, though STL-IND-PHL and STL-CLE-BWI were operated in conjunction with the nonstops STL-PHL and STL-BWI. One STL-BWI flight continued to ORF.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

unitedMSY

Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:55 am

Yeah I would love to see UA come into GPT, but it's not happening. AA added MOB-ORD and UA would try that before even thinking of going into GPT.

unitednrt

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting UnitedMSY (Reply 15):
Yeah I would love to see UA come into GPT, but it's not happening. AA added MOB-ORD and UA would try that before even thinking of going into GPT.

When I worked back in the States, the SE never seemed too much of a priority for the executive direction at the time, yet this management has shown to be very open to the idea of opening new stations.

FlyPNS1

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 4):
Going off on a tanget, but I fail to see how Tallahasse, Florida still has no non-stops to DC-area.

PNS has even more O+D to DC than TLH and doesn't have DC service either. Part of the problem is the nature of the DC market. BWI is primarily just a WN hub which doesn't do TLH or PNS any good. DCA is slot restricted, so it's tough to add flights there. IAD is a hub for UA, but UA's presence in the southeast is quite weak.

It's easier for UA to start SPI-IAD because SPI is an exisiting UA station. Starting TLH-IAD or PNS-IAD requires opening a new station for UA which is expensive particularly if you're only going to fly a few RJ's a day.

IPFreely

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:19 am

alluding to what CIDflyer said, it does seem like UA could serve a sizable chunk of Midwestern capitals and IAD with at least one flight per day (SPI, MSP, DSM, MSN, etc...), not only for O&D traffic but east coast connecting traffic as well.

I've wondered that too, but here in DSM I think most people would rather have reliable service to ORD (i.e. more mainline & less express, esp. Mesa) than a connection to IAD. IAD is also something of a dump. I think UA is better off focusing on DEN first and ORD second as their hubs for midwestern travelers.

There is a fair amount of o/d traffic, but it would be tough for UA to pick up much of this. Most people travelling to Washington for business prefer DCA to IAD, and DSM-DCA is already served non-stop by NW.

planespotting

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 18):
I've wondered that too, but here in DSM I think most people would rather have reliable service to ORD (i.e. more mainline & less express, esp. Mesa) than a connection to IAD. IAD is also something of a dump. I think UA is better off focusing on DEN first and ORD second as their hubs for midwestern travelers.

There is a fair amount of o/d traffic, but it would be tough for UA to pick up much of this. Most people travelling to Washington for business prefer DCA to IAD, and DSM-DCA is already served non-stop by NW.

From Des Moines eh? Where abouts? I'm there about every other weekend -- girlfriend lives in WDSM and I go to the Univ. Iowa.

...you definitely make a good point about DCA -- it is quite a bit more convenient than IAD, and...yes...IAD is not the nicest place to connect through. It is however less congested than ORD, and usually experiences less delays on the average day.

[Edited 2007-01-10 03:51:49]
Do you like movies about gladiators?

pensacolaguy

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:01 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 17):
Starting TLH-IAD or PNS-IAD requires opening a new station for UA which is expensive particularly if you're only going to fly a few RJ's a day.

Yea..Shame though. Maybe 5 years from now will see PNS-IAD on UA. (At this rate!) Maybe the airport could pay some of there start up costs or set up a station services like MOB did for AA.