lowecur

Jetblue Pulls Into SFO

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Looking to take on United and AA, Jetblue will begin transcon flts from SFO.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1/09/BUGJSNF21D1.DTL&type=business

Cory6188

RE: Jetblue Pulls Into SFO

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:39 pm

I'm sure that AA and UA will be thrilled about this one...watch how fast their fares drop in response...

OzarkD9S

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:41 pm

This might have something to do with Virgin America's launch being delayed (temporarily or permantly)....

[Edited 2007-01-09 14:42:15]
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

PVD757

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:42 pm

remember when these routes were the premium of the premium for what we now call the legacies? wow, how things have changed in a decade...

anyway - not surprised really as B6, FL, and to a lesser extent WN will continue to grab any piece of the biggest pies still out there. I'd say JFK & BOS to SFO is a pretty big pie!

trekster

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:47 pm

wow

So it is B6

Flying into all the new york airports, and now all the san fran airports

Smile

Good on em
Where does the time go???

Bicoastal

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 1):
I'm sure that AA and UA will be thrilled about this one...watch how fast their fares drop in response...

After the promotional introductory fares of $99 plus taxes/fees, JetBlue will charge one way fares of $159 to $399. These fares are in line with fares you can already get on UA and AA. Looking at JetBlue's recent financials, they should be charging more to cover their high costs.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

United777atGU

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59 pm

It's not going to be easy, believe me. UA and AA have been three-classing this route forever. UA's P.S. service is top notch on the JFK-SFO run--great in F and C. If anything, they'll (UA/AA) make sure they continue to offer great service in Y as well so as to compete with JB. I think this will make UA think about offering P.S. into BOS--remember when they were toying with the idea of expanding P.S? Timing is everything.
Speechless

RL757PVD

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting Trekster (Reply 4):
Flying into all the new york airports, and now all the san fran airports

Lets hope they go to cover the BOS area next with PVD! (same goes for Airtran)
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

Cory6188

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 5):
JetBlue will charge one way fares of $159 to $399. These fares are in line with fares you can already get on UA and AA.

Wow....I'm surprised...$159 as the lowest fare isn't absurd at all. Okay, scratch my earlier comment. AA and UA are probably doing happy dances that they won't have to offer ridiculously low fares after all.

jfk777

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:12 pm

WOW, I never expected this to happen. Is LAX next ? ITS one thing for JB to fly to the peripheral LA and SAN Francisco area airports but SFO & LAX are the belly of the beast. UA and AA will guard their market like tigers and can offer 3 class servcie while JB's product is great its only one class.

lowecur

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:28 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the premium services on UAL/AA are not free are they? I think Jetblue will be selling a form of premium service at coach prices. Will they attract a few flyers from the premium programs on those airlines???....I know Jetblue is pushing for corporate accounts and they will probably get their share....but Jetblue will also p/u quite a few coach seats from those airlines where the customer wants a quasi business class seat at coach prices.

lowecur

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 9):
WOW, I never expected this to happen. Is LAX next ?

Yeah, LAX is next. Terminal 5 is under seige from the airport authority and if they get their way DL will be reassigned a commensurate number of gates that fall in line with their 45-50 flts per day. I see Jetblue in there at some pt during 2007.

BigGSFO

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:41 pm

I am glad to see more service to SFO. B6 will do well, IMO, at SFO. However it's not only AA, UA, and DL who might see it's impact - B6 could very well cannibalize some of their own traffic from OAK and SJC.

Any idea which terminal they will be using?

emseeeye

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:52 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but early on I thought Neeleman had serious reservations against pulling into SFO because its delay prone. I guess when you are trying to establish your own marketshare in Cali then it probably doesnt matter anyway. However I'm pretty sure he was negitive about SFO. Of course ... I cannot find the articles now ...  banghead 

mcdu

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting Lowecur (Reply 10):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the premium services on UAL/AA are not free are they?

Is anything free in aviation? In the case of UA the PS service offers a minimal coach cabin and has a tremendous product in the F and C classes of the 757's doing the PS flights I don't think you will see a large migration of UA traffic to JetWho. The travelers on these flights are those that could be in bizjets if need be and are probably not too enthralled with riding in an Airbus across the country just to watch live TV with someone else sitting directly next to them in a wife beater t-shirt.

With the wx and flow delays at SFO I think you also might see a few more fuel stops on these flights. The 320 is definitely not optimal for this routing in a high density 150 seat JB configuration. A 319 can do transcons with fuel to spare but the 20 is not so inclined to make it in strong winds.

Here is what I think the biggest hurdle for JB will be at SFO. B6 has limited connection abilities. While you can connect only at JFK on B6 you might lose a good bit of traffic that is unwilling to fly to JFK to get to FLL, IAH etc. At SFO you lose with no transfers/connections to Asian flights.

This appears to be Neelman grasping at straws to try and find a niche. With service to OAK he will be cannibalizing some of the traffic he already has. These moves by B6 are very similar to the moves made by FLYI in the dying days.

MAH4546

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:39 am

Great news. A little surprising, but great none the less. I'm pretty surprised FLL and MCO aren't be launched at first, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them at least FLL launched later this year.

Now they just have to cover that third South Florida airport...
a.

JetBlueGuy2006

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:40 am

Interesting. When will they pull into Michigan?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

mirrodie

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 2):
something to do with Virgin America's launch being delayed (temporarily or permantly

That was my thought initially.
Would be nice if they flew SXM now Big grin
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

commavia

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:47 am

Personally, I think this has much more to do with Virgin America than either American or United.

ChiGB1973

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 16):
Interesting. When will they pull into Michigan?

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 17):
Would be nice if they flew SXM now

B6 said they were filling gaps over the next few years. DTW could be argued for filling one gap, but it's no ORD or SFO. I think people expected B6 to "fill the gaps" by starting E-190 service all over the Midwest and Northeast, when B6's idea of filling the gaps is starting service to major cities.

Just a thought, but it seems to be what is happening. While smaller cities cannot be avoided, did they just start to HPN?, it's the major markets they seem to be focused on at this point.

M

Wsan581

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):

I believe MIA is on the radar!!
 Wink
Blue Skies Ahead!!

luv2fly

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting United777atGU (Reply 6):
If anything, they'll (UA/AA) make sure they continue to offer great service in Y as well so as to compete with JB. I think this will make UA think about offering P.S. into BOS--remember when they were toying with the idea of expanding P.S? Timing is everything.

Y class on UA is now "buy on board" So what GREAT service are you talking about? Also does AA even feed you at all if not in the front of the plane?

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):

As in third world.....
You can cut the irony with a knife

legacyins

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 18):
Personally, I think this has much more to do with Virgin America than either American or United.

Of corse it does. Virgin has until tomorrow to present to the DOT a revised ownership structure in order to receive its' certificate. I am sure VA had a "plan B" if the DOT refused to grant the cert.

It will be interesting once VA gets their cert and the battle which will insue between the legacies and B6 and VA. I am sure VA will do everthing it can to get into the air and get name recognician before B6 starts service in May.

emseeeye

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 14):
This appears to be Neelman grasping at straws to try and find a niche.

No, this is Neeleman slapping SRB in the face!  stirthepot 

Superfly

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting United777atGU (Reply 6):
It's not going to be easy, believe me. UA and AA have been three-classing this route forever. UA's P.S. service is top notch on the JFK-SFO run--great in F and C. If anything, they'll (UA/AA) make sure they continue to offer great service in Y as well so as to compete with JB. I think this will make UA think about offering P.S. into BOS--remember when they were toying with the idea of expanding P.S? Timing is everything.

I agree, I've flown the United P.S. SFO-JFK before and the service was great. However, the P.S. had nothing to do with my ticket purchase. Most people are going to go with the lowest fare that works with there schedule.
I am not a fan of JetBlue but I am glad to see another carrier come here to SFO.
Bring back the Concorde

deltairlines

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:35 am

The P.S. is designed more for the premium folk. B6 and P.S. are very different markets - P.S. (and AA's Flagship service) is geared for the people that can fly international J or international F across the country - these are the people that wouldn't be flying JetBlue on this route to begin with. The front cabins on this route are the ones that make the money for the airline - as long as they sell x number of F and J seats, anything in Y is just gravy (and this is one of the routes where they can actually sell these seats; I've heard stories on FlyerTalk of 1Ks having trouble upgrading on this route). The thing that this will do to UA/AA is cut into some of the extra gravy based on extra revenue from Y - their flights should still be in the black; especially if B6 is offering a $159 o/w after the sale period - ticket should end up being around $350 with taxes all-in, which I'm sure AA and UA don't mind all too much (yield of 6.15 cents/mile; a little on the low side, but that's only the most-discounted buckets - from there, it only goes up).

UAL777UK

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:40 am

I very much doubt that UA or AA are overly concerned about this development by JetBlue. If however they decided to put lie flat seats in and offer a similar PS service to sau UA, which is not going to happen then that would be different.

lowecur

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 14):
Here is what I think the biggest hurdle for JB will be at SFO. B6 has limited connection abilities. While you can connect only at JFK on B6 you might lose a good bit of traffic that is unwilling to fly to JFK to get to FLL, IAH etc. At SFO you lose with no transfers/connections to Asian flights.

This appears to be Neelman grasping at straws to try and find a niche. With service to OAK he will be cannibalizing some of the traffic he already has. These moves by B6 are very similar to the moves made by FLYI in the dying days.

All very good pts, but Neeleman could have other ideas. They are in the middle of negotiations with international carriers at JFK, and if my assumptions are correct, some of those carriers may be requesting Jetblue set up shop and both LAX and SFO. Virgin Atlantic, Air Lingus, Air India, Maxjet could all be in discussions with Jetblue as they are looking for a feed into the US. My guess is Virgin Atlantic once they throw the towell in on Virgin America.

Mikey711MN

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:57 am

Something not yet mentioned...

I wonder what F9 thinks of all this.

(my impression is that they had some modest expansion plans at SFO of their own)

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Bicoastal

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting Lowecur (Reply 10):
....but Jetblue will also p/u quite a few coach seats from those airlines where the customer wants a quasi business class seat

Have you ever flown business class? A JetBlue seat...or any coach seat....isn't anywhere close to business class.

Quoting EmSeeEye (Reply 13):
SFO because its delay prone.

....and JFK isn't?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

emseeeye

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:04 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 32):
....and JFK isn't?

I'm just quoting Neelman. Calm down.

Dreamflight767

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:17 am

This is too cool! Welcome to SFO B6, we're happy to have you. Hope we can accommodate you at the new international terminal.

lowecur

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 32):
Have you ever flown business class? A JetBlue seat...or any coach seat....isn't anywhere close to business class.

I can't afford it, but I always thought business class was a 1st Class seat without the extras. It sounds great for obese people that would normally have to buy (2) seats.

[Edited 2007-01-09 18:21:35]

bayareablue

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:26 am

JBU 9410, an A320, is leaving LGB bound for SFO. ETD 1000am ETA 1110am
Thanks to flightaware.com, it was just added.

wjcandee

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 14):
The travelers on these flights are those that could be in bizjets if need be and are probably not too enthralled with riding in an Airbus across the country just to watch live TV with someone else sitting directly next to them in a wife beater t-shirt.

Uh...you mean like the LAWYER who was sitting next to me on my B6 flight to OAK, the lawyer who could have flown any airline but chose to fly B6? And to make it sound like the PS flights are just SOOOOOO exclusive that folks would "be in bizjets" -- puhleese. If you want to talk rationally about airlines and airline management, let's keep the over-the-top stereotypes to onesself.

ScottB

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 18):

That was absolutely my first thought as well. Virgin America's first route was planned to be SFO-JFK. That plan doesn't look quite so good with JetBlue flying the route 4 times daily. The most dense route from SFO, bar none, is to NYC; that's why it was Virgin America's first route. Another 1200 daily seats in the market makes it far less attractive.

With this announcement, I would not be too surprised to see the plug pulled on Virgin America. It's doubtful that they could get their ownership structure sorted out and cleared by DoT in time to beat JetBlue to market.

lowecur

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:52 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 39):
That was absolutely my first thought as well. Virgin America's first route was planned to be SFO-JFK. That plan doesn't look quite so good with JetBlue flying the route 4 times daily. The most dense route from SFO, bar none, is to NYC; that's why it was Virgin America's first route. Another 1200 daily seats in the market makes it far less attractive.

With this announcement, I would not be too surprised to see the plug pulled on Virgin America. It's doubtful that they could get their ownership structure sorted out and cleared by DoT in time to beat JetBlue to market.

My guess is Sir Richard has probably had some preliminary discussions with Jetblue about a partnership if the Virgin America deal fell through.

Since Virgin Atlantic is 49% owned by Singapore Airlines, it also wouldn't surprise me if they are in on the discussions of a partnership with Jetblue. Although Singapore is a Star Alliance member, I don't believe they have any codeshare or partnerships within the USA. With SFO just named and LAX in the crosshairs, Jetblue would be in line to p/u significant revenue from this type of partnership.

exFATboy

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:57 am

I'm not sure this is a good idea - SFO is a more difficult operational environment, and except for San Mateo county and perhaps the western parts of San Francisco itself (such as the Outer Sunset, where I used to live), OAK is just as accessable. As a JetBlue stockholder, I'd prefer to see expanded service from OAK and/or SJC.

Perhaps it is just to try to throw yet more wrenches into Virgin America's business plan, but I'm not convinced this is the best use of B6s resources.

flyswim

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:06 am

I agree with the thought that this has more to do with a pre-emptive strike against Virgin America than the legacies. VA is promising to be a low cost carrier but with innovation, very much like JetBlue at the outset.

It also makes sense for B6 to offer service from all three airports, for many parts of SF and the peninsula - Oakland is an inconvenient hike either over the bridge or on BART, vs. SFO, right off the 101. (and of course the same can be said by East Bay folks about SFO, which is why both airports do well).

copaair737

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:12 am

I hope they are the carrier to finally start SFO-FLL.
That would be great.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

InTheSky74

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:15 am

They already fly FLL-OAK. I doubt you'll see FLL-SFO unless they swap the flight to SFO.

emseeeye

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting Lowecur (Reply 42):
My guess is Sir Richard has probably had some preliminary discussions with Jetblue about a partnership if the Virgin America deal fell through.

Since Virgin Atlantic is 49% owned by Singapore Airlines, it also wouldn't surprise me if they are in on the discussions of a partnership with Jetblue. Although Singapore is a Star Alliance member, I don't believe they have any codeshare or partnerships within the USA. With SFO just named and LAX in the crosshairs, Jetblue would be in line to p/u significant revenue from this type of partnership.

I never thought of this, however this would be great to see. Imagine B6 becoming the interior feed for a few foreign airlines.

BALAX

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:39 am

Hmmm...will they be as successful as America West on these flights?  Big grin

mcdu

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 38):
Uh...you mean like the LAWYER who was sitting next to me on my B6 flight to OAK, the lawyer who could have flown any airline but chose to fly B6? And to make it sound like the PS flights are just SOOOOOO exclusive that folks would "be in bizjets" -- puhleese. If you want to talk rationally about airlines and airline management, let's keep the over-the-top stereotypes to onesself.

I don't consider lawyers to be the elite. Perhaps financialy a few are wealthy but your average flunky lawyer is not going to be riding a biz jet. The PS service does attract a higher wage class of flyer than the average flight. When it comes to transporting a high ranking company offical the travel offices of corporations often require them to be flown in business or first class. That is something B6 does not offer and can not compete with the trunk carriers on. Also, PS service is filled with food in F and C. With flight times approaching 6 hours you might want something other than chips.

wjcandee

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 51):
I don't consider lawyers to be the elite.

Nobody said they were. The guy compared the oh-so-refined people who allegedly fly PS to the wifebeater-wearers who allegedly fly B6. I made the point that a professional person travelling on somebody else's dime sat next to me on B6, and chose that airline because of the TVs and legroom, and that she could have chosen any airline. That was it.

As to CEOs who "must" travel in First, again, a dumb stereotype. Some do. Some don't. Remember Victor Kiam, the Remington razor guy who "bought the company" because he liked the shaver so much? A truly wealthy guy. He always flew coach because, he said, "the back of the plane gets there at the same time as the front". New money vs. Old money. Continued money vs. squandered money. Your money vs other people's money. It's not about the "class" of the person, but what choices the person makes about how to spend his or somebody else's money.

SANFan

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:48 am

I'm shocked and don't think this is a smart move by B6. To say the least, I think they will have UA, AA AND DL on them quicker than baggage carts on an arriving WN!

I would also guess they will sabotage their LGB op's next when they announce LAX.

Finally, I guess the chance of any further "connect-the-dots" involving existing cities (such as SAN) is now very slim. Where are they getting all the a/c for this SFO start-up as it is? And the other 5 or 6 new stations yet to be announced this year...

Blue is making me very nervous lately. I hope them well but I'm beginning to wonder.

bb

bayareablue

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 51):
Also, PS service is filled with food in F and C. With flight times approaching 6 hours you might want something other than chips.

What type of food? Overcooked and dehydrated beef or chicken? At least B6 gives you an option of snacks: Blue Chips, Munchie Mix, Animal Crackers, Cookies, Biscottis, Wheat Thins, Cashews and Lipton Hot Cup-O-Soup. This gives you the option to bring on board what you want, either from home or the selection availible at the airport, or just munch with the unlimited snacks that are provided.. I would much rather bring or buy a sandwich from the store or home and supplement it with snacks and a drink as my meal. There are only a handful of carriers that actually serve decent food and you only will find that in F. In coach, you are given the option to starve or buy a box snack that is overpriced and small.

AeroWesty

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting BayAreaBlue (Reply 54):
Quoting Mcdu (Reply 51):Also, PS service is filled with food in F and C. With flight times approaching 6 hours you might want something other than chips.

What type of food? Overcooked and dehydrated beef or chicken?

First, welcome to a.net, BayAreaBlue. You might want to look at the Trip Reports section of this site for member experiences on the UA and AA transcon flights.

Quoting BayAreaBlue (Reply 54):
I would much rather bring or buy a sandwich from the store or home and supplement it with snacks and a drink as my meal. There are only a handful of carriers that actually serve decent food and you only will find that in F.

When your company (or you) is paying a couple of grand each way for you to sit in a premium service from JFK to SFO/LAX, you're going to expect and get something decent onboard in F and J. You aren't going to be expected to bring a sandwich from home.
International Homo of Mystery

mcdu

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 52):
New money vs. Old money. Continued money vs. squandered money. Your money vs other people's money. It's not about the "class" of the person, but what choices the person makes about how to spend his or somebody else's money.

If your argument was valid then F and C class would not exist. There are enough people willing to pay a premium for a better comfort level in travel to justify the cabins. B6 does not offer this type of cabin and only recently has adopted a concept of economy plus from, surprise-surprise the guy that devloped economy plus for UA. However, E+ is not enough of a carrot for a transcon, otherwise UA would not have expanded the PS service since its inception.

Here is another benefit of the 757 PS service. The airplanes are lighter due to less beef in the seats and can often make FL410 early in the flight. What says you does this have to do with this route? Well the b6 busses will be stuck down in the low 30's with limited flexibility for altitude change for winds and rides. Often getting to 410 will get you out of the jetstream winds and you could find those on the PS service arriving at SFO less shaken and stirred much earlier than the bus. Also you get the 757 to cruise at .80 or better and the bus will be doing .76 to save fuel to make the trip without a stop.

I guess it comes down to riding in a Mini Cooper from JFK to SFO or in a Winnebago.

AADC10

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:36 am

A problem at SFO that was not mentioned is their high landing fees. One of the reasons WN left SFO, in addition to the delays, was the hike in landing fees to pay for the new international terminals. They also returned to Denver only after they had refinanced their bonds and lowered the fees. B6 has departed significantly from WN's LCC model in that respect. However, WN owns OAK and dominates SJC. Perhaps B6 is setting itself up to connect international passengers arriving at SFO and JFK.