747hogg
Topic Author

Goodby James Brown, My Old Boss/Avation Buff.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:17 am

James had the first black owned bizjet (N805LJ) and that was later N123JB) A lear 23, then got a lear 24 with a de iceing kit (improved) We wore those planes out, plus a king air, jet commander, HS 125, and a wet leased learjet 55 out of Phoenix. James had a pair of first class seats in his office LH gave him years ago. In short, he loved aviation and flight, and in recent years increased his tours to cover Asia and Eastern Europe, the reason for this was the new first class seats that allowed ones privacy and the ability to lay flat and sleep the hours away. He was looking forward to being in the A380 and having a bedroom. Just like the great old classic airliners, we all get old and conk out. RIP Big JR. get some rest.

aerodog

RE: Goodby James Brown, My Old Boss/Avation Buff.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:32 am

My recollection was that Doug Bell was JB's pilot and they initially flew a Jet Commander though Doug flew a Lear Jet for somebody else.

That was 40 years ago, help me put the pieces together.

Revelation

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:49 am

Gives me one more reason to love the man. RIP, James!
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

cedarjet

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 2):
Gives me one more reason to love the man.

Yeah, I didn't know he was One Of Us. And how many people can say their funeral was enhanced by sub woofers?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

747hogg
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:56 am

Doug Bell WAS the man! He flew us all over the country, He had Bell Jet Avation and We got the learjet 24 from him. We had James Brown logo on the tail, and in the sliding window covers, but the plane was owned by him and his outfit. Mr Bart set up the lease for tax benifits. James always said "I can get 8 days work out of one week with this jet!" We did have a jet commander that ended up with a cracked wing while in Canada and I don't remember the details, other than JB abandoned it to its owners (Mr. Bell?) and came home. James told me back in the late 80's that he ran into Doug and he still looked like a kid! riding in a tiny, noisey jet really sucked. no room for luggage, and litterely shoulder to shoulder at times it was so cramped. But those were the good old days, and the soul just kept on funkin'!

aerodog

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting 747hogg (Reply 4):

He had Bell Jet Avation

Thanks, this was my missing link. Had forgot Doug owned the company he flew for. I had a lot of respect for the guy, a real gentleman though I don't think he was always comfortable with some of the things that went on flying a super popular rock star.

Remember this was in the 60's, women have yet to burn their bras and we're all watching Lawrence Welk and the Ed Sullivan show on TV.

jetstar

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:46 am

One time around 1972 I was waiting on the ramp in Dallas’s Love Field for our passengers and this all black Jet Commander taxies in and parks next to us, and James Brown gets out and gets into a limo. The only thing I remember is the other pilots around us talking about how hot the airplane must get sitting on the ramp in the sun painted all black.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos