PresRDC
Topic Author

New York Last Night

Mon Jul 17, 2000 10:11 pm

I know two people who were flying into or out of LGA last night and both of theior flights were cancelled. One, my roommate, said that the whole airport was shut down for weather. While there was some rain in the vicinity, it did not seem as though the waether warranted closing the airport. Does anyone know if waether was the real reason, or if something else was the cause?

Thanks.

Seattle Ops

RE: New York Last Night

Mon Jul 17, 2000 11:25 pm

much of the northeast got hammered last night because of weather yesterday,the faa has really gotten out of control as well, giving flights 7+ hour delays.

iahcsr

Mon Jul 17, 2000 11:45 pm

The weather doesn't have to be bad AT the airport to cause problems. Flights from IAH to LGA/EWR/PHL/BOS were all delayed for hours. The 1:00 departures for LGA and PHL were airborn at 5:00 and 6:00. Still, given the alternative, I would have to say it's better to err on the side of caution in such cases .... even with the headaches it gives everyone involved.
Working very hard to Fly Right....

Mon Jul 17, 2000 11:52 pm

I was coming back from the ACS Bike-a-thon In Jersey, and there was a huge storm. Some places back here got flooded, ands there is now a new creek several blocks from where I live! But the reason that the FAA put all the delays on was because the system was pretty patchy. There wasn't any real big storm in our area, but a bunch of little storms that seemed to pop up out of nowhere.

drerx7

Mon Jul 17, 2000 11:56 pm

A storm between Cleveland and the New York sector caused massive ATC delays. A ground stop program was implemented-holding aircraft at their respective cities so as not to create a massive traffic pattern in the North East. All in all, a rough weekend.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

tomindc

Tue Jul 18, 2000 4:36 am

I took the 2pm Metroliner from NY to DC yesterday. Looks like a good decision!

Tom

Tue Jul 18, 2000 7:41 am

Most of the delays were due to weather. The biggest factor in these delays is ATC. The system is so damn outdated i wonder sometimes are they ever gonna update it at all>......

Tue Jul 18, 2000 8:41 am

I was trying to get out of Boston to come home to Greenville Spartanburg, SC. I was supposed to be home at Midnight last night. I got home at three this afternoon.... Logan was a zoo yesterday too!

Coz

Tue Jul 18, 2000 10:14 am

I would never complain if the FAA or an airline or an airport delays flights becuase of weather. I'd much much MUCH rather be safe and cautious than take any chances MY SAFETY IS MY NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.