Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:46 pm

"Aerospace Notebook: Virgin Atlantic might want to rethink its slogan"

By JamesWallace
Seattle P-I Reporter

Quote:
Sir Richard Branson

Chairman, Virgin Atlantic

Dear Sir Richard,

Don't you think it's time you did some touch-up painting of those Airbus A340-600 jets your airline operates?

Some years ago, you embraced the Airbus slogan of "4 engines 4 long haul," and Virgin Atlantic still has those words painted on the side of the outboard wing engines of your A340-600 fleet.

But most other airlines have already decided that two- engine jets such as Boeing's 777 and the Airbus A330 are just as safe and reliable -- and more fuel-efficient -- as four-engine planes when it comes to long-haul flights that take planes far from an airport where they could safely land in an emergency...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/299052_air10.html

Lex Ancilla Justitiae

jamman

RE: Virgin Atlantic Might Want To Rethink Its Slog

Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting Leelaw (Thread starter):
But most other airlines have already decided that two- engine jets such as Boeing's 777 and the Airbus A330 are just as safe and reliable -- and more fuel-efficient -- as four-engine planes when it comes to long-haul flights that take planes far from an airport where they could safely land in an emergency...

I think thats always been the case with ETOPS cert aircraft, I reckon Virgin were just trying to make a gimmic out of a 4 engined aircraft, doesn't bother me that its still on the side, perhaps the reporter is having a bit of a slow day/week/month.

[Edited 2007-01-10 13:56:13]
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

Heavierthanair

RE: Virgin Atlantic Might Want To Rethink Its Slogan

Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:57 pm

G'day

The guy (James Wallace) is probably paid by or even works for Boeing, else why should anyone care.  stirthepot 

Cheers

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

boswashsprstar

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:02 pm

Wasn't "4 Engines 4 Long Haul" originally a jab at BA's 777s and 767s? I thought it was meant more to highlight Virgin as the "real" long haul carrier out of London, the one that would always put you on the big planes, rather than the one that might put you on an old 76.

In any case, the article turned out to be more about the new ETOPS rules, which is a reasonable thing to write about . . . why it was framed around taunting Branson isn't entirely clear.

leelaw

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting BosWashSprStar (Reply 3):
n any case, the article turned out to be more about the new ETOPS rules, which is a reasonable thing to write about . . . why it was framed around taunting Branson isn't entirely clear.

Quote:
...I was at the Farnborough Air Show outside London in 2002 when you took delivery of your first A340-600, and you told the world's aviation writers that you had considered Boeing's 777-300ER, but that surveys showed passengers, given a choice, wanted to fly across the Atlantic in a four-engine plane, not one with only two engines.

It was at that same air show that Airbus had a colossal billboard at the edge of the runway that read: "A340 -- 4 engines 4 long haul."

Airbus had first played the four-engines-are-better-thantwo card in 1999, with a controversial ad that showed the A340 flying over a vast ocean, with the words: "It's always reassuring to have the redundancy option of four engines rather than two. Especially when you're a long, long way from home."

Boeing was not too happy about that Airbus ad, and said so...

Apparently these past "slights" have stuck in Mr. Wallace's craw as much as Boeing's, and/or if you take a cynical view his "minders" at Boeing have directed him to play the role of "bad cop."  Smile
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

redflyer

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:26 pm

"4 Engines 4 Long Haul" sounds a little too gimmicky, boring and staid for a flamboyant guy like Branson. I would think a slogan such as "Longest In The Air", or something to that affect, would be much more appropriate on his 346's and more in style with his flamboyance. In fact, I recall he wore a T-shirt to the delivery of his first 346 that had emblazoned on the front "Mine is longer than yours". Much more his style.
My other home is a Piper Cherokee 180C

speedmarque

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:59 am

4 engines 4 long haul was an Airbus slogan. VS then adapted it on some 744s with slogans like "We're better by 4" and "The power of 4".

HUYguy

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:12 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 5):
In fact, I recall he wore a T-shirt to the delivery of his first 346 that had emblazoned on the front "Mine is longer than yours". Much more his style

My favourite is 'More experience than our name suggests.'

Pope

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:13 am

2 engine path 2 profitability
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

swiftski

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Leelaw (Thread starter):
Some years ago, you embraced the Airbus slogan of "4 engines 4 long haul," and Virgin Atlantic still has those words painted on the side of the outboard wing engines of your A340-600 fleet.

Virgin still only fly 4 engine birds, so the slogan is still accurate, IMHO. No-where does it says "4 engines are better 4 long haul".

[edit, spelling]

[Edited 2007-01-10 19:36:44]

NYC777

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:42 am

Well we shouldn't forget that when Boeing was marketing the Sonic Cruiser which was supposed to be a twin, Branson was an enthusiastic supporter of the project and was planning and buying quite a few.

Guess the 4 engines 4 long haul didn't really ring true with him, did it?
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

ChiGB1973

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:50 am

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53256

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54115

I agree, certainly time for him to rethink his slogan. Time for him to rethink his causes or at least go for more fuel efficient twins.

M

laddb

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:01 am

"4 engines 4 long haul"

Has anyone told Burt Rutan? I don't think he has been designing Space Ship Two with 4 rockets.

LTU932

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 5):
"Mine is longer than yours"

Quoting HUYguy (Reply 7):
'More experience than our name suggests.'

Those two are my favourite VS slogans. Big grin

I agree though that this "4 engines 4 longhaul" thing should be dumped. Let's face it: quads have less of a future than they had a few decades ago. And with ETOPS changing and giving more economical twins the chance to operate more direct routes, the last niche that was dominated by quads and trijets will eventually fade away.

as739x

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:08 am

Peter

Virgin 747-400's (Why is this a jab at Boeing?)

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

DfwRevolution

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:13 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 13):
Those two are my favourite VS slogans

There's a fine line between edgy comedy and cheap shtick, and I think SRB flirts too closely to the later.

In any case, the article turned out to be more about the new ETOPS rules, which is a reasonable thing to write about . . . why it was framed around taunting Branson isn't entirely clear.

Probably because Virgin Atlantic is the only significant airline in the world that actually brags about using quad jets.

Even uber-conservative Cathay Pacific finally bite the bullet and selected the twinjet 773ER for longhaul trans-Pacific operations

Richard28

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 8):

VS are profitable

RIXrat

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:47 am

James Wallace is the premier aviation reporter for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. I don't know him personally, but he has always delivered objective pieces concerning both Boeing and Airbus. Like someone said, it might have been a slow day with a fun-type piece already in the can.

leelaw

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting RIXrat (Reply 17):
but he has always delivered objective pieces concerning both Boeing and Airbus.

I agree, unfortunately some of the more fervent Airbusiers on A.net can't abide him; claiming the Seattle P-I has a generally pro-Boeing editorial agenda, that Mr. Wallace is personally biased in favor of Boeing, and he's merely a tool of its publicity machine.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

steeler83

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 16):
Quoting Pope (Reply 8):

VS are profitable

How about this... "2 engines 2 anywhere"?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Sketty222

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting HUYguy (Reply 7):
My favourite is 'More experience than our name suggests.'

Thats my favourite too. Couldnt stop chuckling when I passed that on the taxi-way at LHR at 6 in the morning. I was laughin my socks off

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

DfwRevolution

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 19):
How about this... "2 engines 2 anywhere"?

I've always liked: "2 Good 2 Use 4 Engines"

kaddyuk

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 8):

Virgin are a profitable company....

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 11):
I agree, certainly time for him to rethink his slogan. Time for him to rethink his causes or at least go for more fuel efficient twins.

"His" Slogan was infact an Airbus slogan. Its been mentioned several times on this forum...

Quoting AS739X (Reply 14):
Virgin 747-400's (Why is this a jab at Boeing?)

The -400's have never worn 4 Engines 4 Long Haul

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 13):
Let's face it: quads have less of a future than they had a few decades ago

Have you not been introduced to the A380 and B747-8i yet?

"The Onion" is not a website you want to quote too often (Look up the word Satrical).

I wont stand here and argue that twins are better than quads, however its just a darn marketing slogan. Nothing Else! Anyone who thinks the airline invents slogans before they think about the commercial profitability of the airline is just as much as an idiot as the idea they're suggesting!
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

access-air

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:39 am

OMG.....are we really wasting threads talking about this????
Its a slogan on the side of a plane....Big whoop-dee-doo....
DO I smell the ACLU sniffing around this now???? IM sure the PC Police have been notified...
Good Grief!!!

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

LTU932

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 22):

Of course I'm aware of those, but in the end, despite of the advantages they may have (e.g. Hot and High performance), I sincerely doubt that after the A380 and 747-8I there will be another quad. That's just my personal opinion and is based on how I've seen the market developing, and in the end, quads will become rarer and rarer. I'm not stating this as a fact, it's just the way I see things and I admit this might not be accurate in the end.

kaddyuk

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 24):
Of course I'm aware of those, but in the end, despite of the advantages they may have (e.g. Hot and High performance), I sincerely doubt that after the A380 and 747-8I there will be another quad. That's just my personal opinion and is based on how I've seen the market developing, and in the end, quads will become rarer and rarer. I'm not stating this as a fact, it's just the way I see things and I admit this might not be accurate in the end.

Not for another 20 years at least...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Leezyjet

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 am

It appears Mr Wallace has made a bit of a Wally of himself.

VS removed those slogans from its a/c months ago. He should try getting his facts straight before writing articles, but he once a journalist....why let facts get in the way of a good story !!.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any VS a/c that have any slogans on them at the moment.

The photo posted by the thread starter was taken in June 2006 !!!.

[Edited 2007-01-11 01:24:08]
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

leelaw

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:10 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 26):
VS removed those slogans from its a/c months ago.

You're probably right. The most recent photograph in the database of a VS A346 (G-VWKD) with the slogan (on both fuselage and outboard engine nacelle) in question was taken on July 15, 2006:

The same aircraft photographed on October 2, 2006 looks to be sans slogans:

I've sent you're observation on to Mr. Wallace via e-mail, perhaps he'll reply.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

LTU932

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:15 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 25):
Not for another 20 years at least...

Good point. I guess I should have been a bit more clear on that myself.

Ward86IND

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 25):
Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 22):

Adding to that, twenty years ago the 744 was about to enter service as the eventual premier long-haul workhorse of the world's major airlines, and the earlier models of 747s were well-established and THE way to go as far as long haul was concerned. The 767 and A300 (to a lesser extent) were the only long-haul twins to speak of, and they were mainly just running across the Atlantic. Yeah, I would definitely agree things have changed i the past twenty years, which was the original claim.
Live your dream.

Leezyjet

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 27):
I've sent you're observation on to Mr. Wallace via e-mail, perhaps he'll reply.

Snap. I did too. I got a reply saying he wasn't aware. Thought so !!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

leelaw

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:32 am

Here's the text of my aformentioned e-mail to Mr. Wallace:

Quote:
To: Wallace, James
Subject: In Re: "Virgin Atlantic might want to rethink its slogan"

You may want to check-out the attached link to an Airliners.net
discussion forum "thread" about the aforementioned article in today's
edition of the paper: Virgin Atlantic Might Want To Rethink Its Slogan (by Leelaw Jan 10 2007 in Civil Aviation)
(particularly replies 26 & 27).

It looks as though Virgin has removed the "4 engines 4 long haul "
slogan from the livery of its A346 fleet in recent months.

Here's the text of Mr. Wallace's reply to me:

Quote:
Thanks. I'm going to check with Virgin Atlantic. It was my understanding that some of their A340-600s still have the slogan attached...

I've read comments before about my reporting on Airliners.net. For what's it's worth, even though I cover the aerospace industry and try and write objective stories, regardless of the topic or company, be it Boeing or Airbus, I also write a weekly column --Aerospace Notebook. And as a column, I can include my opinion, unlike with a news story. I get to have a little fun with the column from time to time. This was one of those times. It was a way to write about an important FAA development regarding a complicated subject, ETOPS. I thought my "letter" to Branson would provide a more enjoyable read for people who may not know as much about ETOPS as those who weigh in on Airliners.net
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

nema

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 pm

I thought it was meant more to highlight Virgin as the "real" long haul carrier out of London, the one that would always put you on the big planes, rather than the one that might put you on an old 76.

You Got It!

Sir Richard Branson, really with his success, needs nobody to suggest to him that he needs to change anything.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

keesje

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:46 pm

I my opinion this ever coming back to the slogan that VS used (5?) yrs ago and hasn't removed from all it's aircraft yet is getting a bit sorry.

It was a great slogan obviously, some (deeply hurt?) souls keep coming back on it, probably until 2012 at least..

move on folks
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

flybhx764

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:27 pm

its 4 engines 4 more fuel

leelaw

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 pm

Fantastic...finally a photo of Keesje leading the "Airbusierettes" in a line-dance of the ETOPS Hop-Clop.  Smile
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

zeke

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Flybhx764 (Reply 34):
its 4 engines 4 more fuel

Somewhat misplaces soul, the number of engines has little to do with things, its the efficiency of the engines.

The 748 will have a better CASM than the 787, and the 380 will be very good as well.

Some figures from Lufthansa website ..

B744 is 4.27 litres to fly one passenger 100 kilometres, 390 seats in the Lufthansa configuration.

A346 is 3.6 litres to fly one passenger 100 kilometres, 345 seats in the Lufthansa configuration.

747-8i is 3.5 litres to fly one passenger 100 kilometres, 400 seats in the Lufthansa configuration.

A380 is 3.3 litres to fly one passenger 100 kilometres, 555 seats in the Lufthansa configuration.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

TSS

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:48 am

"4 engines 4 long haul" seems an odd slogan to me, particularly since it doesn't tie in with the airline's name nor does it allow for the possibility of two-engined aircraft. With that in mind, I'd like to suggest a new slogan:

"Virgin Airlines- Fly like you've never flown before"

Any thoughts?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

keesje

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:30 am

From the Seattlepi article:

:

"Four-engine planes operating on long-haul routes also will have to have satellite-based communication equipment, which now is required on only twin-engine planes when they operate on extended-range flights

Are you getting any of this, Sir Richard?

Probably not. "

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/299052_air10.html

Now with all respect who is James Wallace to address Richard Branson like this? Is he angry, didn't Richard buy enough Boeings, what's behind this?

All using a 5 yr old VS ad.. we know him a bit http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/293995_air29.html, but he seems to get more and more extreme in communicating his personal preference. IMO he has become party, not observer.

[Edited 2007-01-11 17:36:41]

leelaw

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Keesje (Reply 38):

Since when is a public figure as quixotic as SRB elevated to the status of Caesar's Wife (i.e. above reproach)?

Additionally, I'm not sure what you take exception to in Mr. Wallace's "Aerospace Notebook" column of November 29, 2006? Perhaps you should read or re-read his reply to my e-mail I posted earlier (Reply 31), in which he tries to explain what he believes to be the difference between writing news stories and opinion pieces.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

keesje

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:31 am

I think James renetly was on Boeings 772LR record flight, on the Boeings 787 world VIP tour, knows a lot of Boeing people, knows what his home public wants to hear and knows what he want to write and what not.

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 39):
he believes to be the difference between writing news stories and opinion pieces.

Excuses afterwards, he obviously got feedback allready. Nowhere it is mentioned this is a opinion page, column or whatever. Take a look, it´s the business page. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/299052_air10.html

Great James writes his opinions, he will be happy to be on the receiving end too I guess..

zvezda

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 24):
I sincerely doubt that after the A380 and 747-8I there will be another quad.

IF there is ever another new airliner developed larger than the 777, then it will surely be a twin unless (and this is the only plausible reason) there happens to be an engine already available, four of which would be just right. In that case, the savings in development costs might be compelling since the VLA market is so small.

David L

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 37):
"Virgin Airlines- Fly like you've never flown before"

You might need longer nacelles for that one.  Smile

leelaw

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting Keesje (Reply 40):
knows what his home public wants to hear and knows what he want to write and what not.

It's doubtful the audience in the Seattle media market is mostly interested in consuming pro-Boeing pablum. You're certainly clueless about what sells newspapers in America.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

BoomBoom

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Nowhere it is mentioned this is a opinion

Yes, news stories always begin: Dear Sir Richard,

Great James writes his opinions,

And the Great Keesje serves us his sour grapes...
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

leelaw

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:59 pm

"Virgin Atlantic removes Airbus slogan"

Quote:
Virgin Atlantic has removed a decal from its Airbus A340-600 jets that had suggested four-engine jetliners were safer than two-engine planes when it came to long-haul flights over oceans...

...Earlier this week, in my Aerospace Notebook, I wrote an open letter to Sir Richard Branson, chairman of Virgin Atlantic, suggesting it was time to remove the slogan from his planes...

...I'd like to take credit for the four-engine slogan coming off the Virgin Atlantic A340-600 jets, but in fact the airline began removing the decals in August 2006, an airline spokesman said after reading my column.

"The reason for this was simply that the initiative had run its course and it was time to move on,'' said Jonathan Firth, director of projects for the airline...

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/aerospace/archives/110431.asp
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

MD-90

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Quoting Laddb (Reply 12):
Has anyone told Burt Rutan?

Lest we forget: Voyager was a twin, and flew most of the flight only on one engine.

Lokey123

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Doesn't matter, they'll soon be flying twin engine airbus airplanes anyway...slogans come and go