jeb

DC-10's Doors

Tue Jul 18, 2000 1:22 am

Hello all! I am doing a project for school on the DC-10's faulty cargo doors. If you have ANY information on this topic at all, I would appreciate it. If possible documentation/source information would be helpful, but not necessary. I am looking for absolutely positively anything with regard to this topic.

Thanks in Advance,

Jeb!

goingboeing

RE: DC-10's Doors

Tue Jul 18, 2000 1:35 am

If you haven't read the book "Destination Disaster", get it. It covers the cargo door issue in great detail.

Tue Jul 18, 2000 5:26 am

I clicked on this thinking it was going to be about those weird mechanized doors. So I'll ask - why the mechanized doors that drop down from above instead of the usual doors? They're neat, but kind of goofy, like the mechanized coat rack. Funny the things that engineers back then thought would be really useful ways to add motorized moving parts ot aircraft...

Tue Jul 18, 2000 6:29 am

They were added because if the doors opened w/out assist a la 737, they would be impossible, or at the very least extremely hard to open, considering they were double-width doors and had those huge slides stored in them. The reason why the doors slide up into the ceiling is so that they wouldn't run the possibility of being in the way of anything by opening out a la 747. Plus, they may have aided pressure sealing better because the doors never go outside the fuselage, so they can truly "plug" the door opening.

AerLingus

Tue Jul 18, 2000 1:08 pm

I read a book called 'The Last Nine Minutes."
It was all about the Turkish Airlines wreck of the seventies and how it was due to the cargo door/pressurization problem.
It is extremely detailed and I would recommend it for your report.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

iahcsr

Wed Jul 19, 2000 2:46 am

Another source of information, if you can find it, would be back issues of "Aviation Week" from 1974/75. They went into great detail (over several months) about the door's design and redesign after the THY crash.
Working very hard to Fly Right....

Wed Jul 19, 2000 3:52 am

Hi,
go to

-> "Select Document To View"
-> "DC-10"

and make a download of the topics.

There are intersting informations and...

Best regards,
Stephan

Duisburg
GERMANY

OPNLguy

Jeb

Wed Jul 19, 2000 4:04 am

Allow me to second Goingboeing's rec on "Destination Disaster"

I just found a used copy on eBay a few weeks ago to replace the one that I lent out (never got it back) and I found it far better than another book of the era "The Last 9 Minutes." In particular, the chapter dealing with the memo by Dan Applegate (engineer at Convair, the fuselage subcontractor) is must reading, espectially since the failure that brought down THYhad occurred twice earlier.

If you can't find DD at your local library, check out the auctions at eBay, yahoo, or elsewhere to see if you can find a copy. It'll be well worth the cost, and the context and explanations in the book with respect to other related matters is excellent.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Wed Jul 19, 2000 6:35 am