747hogg
Topic Author

Remember The AA 8 Hour Hold?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:00 am

I had the same thing happened in 1983 at Denver on a UA DC-10.. At the friggin' gate with doors closed, waiting for the third de icing and runway to clear. NEXT time you become cattle being held by an airline, fake a medical emergency! Screw these greedy people, it's your life, and they can't hold you in order to prevent your precious dollars from evaporating. Refuse to be held hostage and get out of that plane if you want to! Demand your freedom, and never let these creeps do this over and over, the reg's are meaningless as far as I am concerned... Ether you get the damn thing up and fly it, or park it and let the people have a choice with what they want to do. I will never again fly AA and I fly every week. These airlines are totally out of line, if a pax wants off and it screws the operations up of the A/L tuff chit! We are the customers and call the shots when we are forced with sitting on a small jet for a total of 12 freaking hours! Mostly with no food, water, and the honey pots overflowing with the pungent funk that we all know so well.

EasternSon

RE: Remember The AA 8 Hour Hold?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:55 am

Dude, are you off you meds or something?

What prompted this post? Are you still this bitter from an incident that happened in 1983?

Get a grip, man.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

contrails

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting 747hogg (Thread starter):
Refuse to be held hostage and get out of that plane if you want to!

I agree 100%. Of course, there could some some legal reprecussions stemming from your unauthorized presence on the airfield, but eventually a bunch of courageous pax need to say "enough!" and do it.
Flying Colors Forever!

Cessna057

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:08 am

Ok. Obviously you are not a pilot, and obviously you escaped from the ward. but lets turn the main down skid row. you paid for a ticket and were warned of this. if you want to get up and do stuff like this, then dont buy a ticket and go drive to where ever it is. and buddy, you sound like the greediest person out there right now, faking a med emergency.

My advide. Back on the meds, and dont fly.
Hold it . . . Hold it . . . HOLD THE FREAKIN NOSE UP!!

YHMYYZspotter

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:18 am

HAHA reading these "waiting 8 hour" posts always makes me think about waiting in your car in a traffic jam for 8 hours in the same spot. Then getting out of it 8 hours later and driving another 3. I would be finding any way possible to turn around and take another route. But you would think the cops would find a detour in 8 hours OR fix/remove the block so traffic can move freely again. Sort of the same senario I guess. Just my rant there haha.  Wink

Happy waiting!

zvezda

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:23 am

I've been in a 10.5 hour hold and I'll just say that I can see both sides of it. At the very least, at some point, (I'd say about four hours), they need to give the passengers a choice. They also need to provide food and water and empty the lavs.

Cessna057

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 5):
(I'd say about four hours), they need to give the passengers a choice.

I was on CO coming back from sarasota and they gave us a choice after 2 hours and said it would be 3 or 4 more hours till they got clearence. We jumped off and went to the beach.
Hold it . . . Hold it . . . HOLD THE FREAKIN NOSE UP!!

Analog

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:58 am

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Reply 4):
HAHA reading these "waiting 8 hour" posts always makes me think about waiting in your car in a traffic jam for 8 hours in the same spot.

Does that ever happen? Maybe for an hour, but 8? Almost never, except in the case of huge accidents. Even then I'd be surprised if people were stuck in the same spot for 8 hours.

Holding pax on the ground for > 8 hours w/o food, water, or functioning bathrooms is completely unacceptable, especially when the capability to offload the pax exists, which it always does. This kind of situation could very easily cause serious health problems or death (say hypoglycemic shock for diabetics, dehydration, etc. etc.)

This makes me wonder; what are the symptoms of a "full" toilet on an aircraft? What are pax expected to do, use the floor?

memphis

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:20 am

How hard / what consequences would / could the airline endure, if they did "release" the pax back into the terminal? Lets say, your in the same 1983 scenario, and after about 2-3 hrs, the capt. comes over the P.A. and mentions the obvious, we are getting no where, so, I'm going to ask to me mated back up to the jetway and those that want to disembark, can, but be back on the A/C within 45 minutes, and listen to the terminal P.A. incase a spot opens up and we can get going sooner, all right? I'm sure that doing this would smooth alot of things over, obviously, the airlines do not control the weather, this could be one way to accomodate the pax. Would there be any security issues in doing this? Would this over-tax the gate agents? BTW, if your were on a plane, on the ground in a hold for 8 hrs, do you even fly anywhere after the hold was expired? Seems to me like the crew would have timed out and then they would at least have to let the crew off, and find a new one.
nocturnal

zvezda

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 7):
This makes me wonder; what are the symptoms of a "full" toilet on an aircraft? What are pax expected to do, use the floor?

No, what happens is the order is given not to flush in the case of urination. Then later not to flush at all.  yuck 

Quoting Memphis (Reply 8):
Seems to me like the crew would have timed out and then they would at least have to let the crew off, and find a new one.

That becomes an issue if they go back to the gate and open the door, but is not an issue as long as the door is closed.

airtran737

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:50 am

Any takes as to whether 747hogg was an anti war protester back in the days of Nam? I've got $20.00 that says he was chanting burn baby burn while flashing a peace sign.

Seriously though, it is un-excusable for airlines to keep passengers on aircraft that long. However by encouraging someone to fake an emergency is irresponsible.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Zone1

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:07 am

A voting system should be built into the next generation of IFE systems, so pax can vote on whether to wait it out or go back to the gate and lose their departure slot.
/// U N I T E D

Analog

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 9):

That becomes an issue if they go back to the gate and open the door, but is not an issue as long as the door is closed.

Using this distinction for safety (crew time-out) is crazy (IMO) There's something wrong with the rules if the fact that a door is open or closed makes the difference. Not that I can think of a better way. This rule encourages keeping passengers hostage.

memphis

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 12):
here's something wrong with the rules if the fact that a door is open or closed makes the difference.

I agree! Dosen't make any sense, IMHO
nocturnal

747hogg
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:41 am

I suppose many of you are not aware of this flight I am refering to, an AA flight, It happened a few months ago and was recently on dateline. Aside from my totally miserible experence at the hands of UA, several other "hostage incedents" involving desperate people, the elderly, babies and others being incercerated in sealed aircraft for incredible amounts of time. Once a load of pax acually called the CEO of NWA at his house (someone on board was a member of hs country club and had his #) and told them they were being held hostage and were calling the local media. Think it's the right thing for these greedy airlines to do? Great, I can't wait until you spend endless hours in a tube stuffed with pissed off people and crying babies begging to get off while you sit and watch the rampers growing old before your very eyes. I read where congress was going to investagate this some years ago, but this incident proves otherwise. As for the coward with the Vietnam remark, sorry... I served with the 101st Airborne Div, 501st Infantry. Vietnam 1968 and 1971.

AA767400

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:44 am

Man with all that anger you have built up inside I suggest you take it to Congress.
"The low fares airline."

zvezda

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 15):
Man with all that anger you have built up inside I suggest you take it to Congress.

I find it interesting that the posters who've never been in such a situation have such strong opinions and are so quick to villify those of us who have been there. In my case, a lot of passengers lost their patience. The most annoying part of it for me was being lied to by UA. Specific lies included that we would be served a meal onboard, that there would be baggage handlers working at our destination so that we could get our bags. We were given a chance to fly the next day and many of us would have had we known the truth.

AA767400

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:05 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 16):
I find it interesting that the posters who've never been in such a situation have such strong opinions and are so quick to villify those of us who have been there. In my case, a lot of passengers lost their patience.

I have been stuck on a plane for 5 hours in ORD with nothing to go by. Let me tell you that it was not pretty, and I was non-reving. I can only imagine how they Crew was dealing with complaints,harrasment, and ridicule from a bunch of New Yorkers.

But who were you stating that have not experienced such a situation?
"The low fares airline."

hush-kit

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:46 am

Ok, 8 hrs on hold on the ground ain 't cozy, as described. But did anyone of you thread poster recall 9/11, thousands of pax were stranded in nowhereland, and many thousand pax weren 't allowed for 8-10-12 hrs or even longer to leave their plane. Many of them not knowing what the heck was going on, just rumors that were spreading inside the planes...So, all the folks complaining so bitter come down back with your feet on the ground, many many people would love to have your "problems"...
btw: I recently was kept almost 1 .5 hr in an AA MD80 about 300 ft away from the gate because the gate was blocked and AA counldn ' t find operating staff so quick to get that 737 whick blocked the gate pushed back, I relaxed and started a nice chess game... just an advice...AND THERE WAS NO NEED TO SEE MY COUNSELOR...

Cory6188

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting Hush-Kit (Reply 19):
I recently was kept almost 1 .5 hr in an AA MD80 about 300 ft away from the gate because the gate was blocked and AA counldn ' t find operating staff so quick to get that 737 whick blocked the gate pushed back, I relaxed and started a nice chess game... just an advice...AND THERE WAS NO NEED TO SEE MY COUNSELOR...

That's hardly the 8 hours that the pax aboard the AA flight referenced had to endure. I don't exactly think it's fair to draw any sort of comparison between the two...

NorthstarBoy

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:30 pm

I boycotted America West after a similar situation got me so fed up i actually got off the airplane. (being held hostage on the airplane for 2 hours, no information given on even an approximate departure time, no updates given, even just to say "we're in communication with operations, they're watching the situation, we'll be out of here just as soon as we possibly can, sorry for the delay") what i've realized in the ten years since that episode is that the crew themselves are being held hostage by a clearance, when they get a clearance, that thing they've been waiting for for the last six hours, they may have only 15 minutes to get the airplane off the ground to make their window. Now imagine, if they let everyone off to mill around the terminal, and operations comes through with a clearance they've been waiting for, they have two choices, either go with the plane half empty to make that all important window, or give up the clearance and hope another one comes through, or they can take the lesser of two evils, keep everyone in their seats, so that when the clearance comes, they can go NOW! because clearances, when they come, wait for no one. when it comes, you'd better be ready to go or you're back on the bottom of the list.

It's not pleasant or comfortable for the passengers, but that is, unfortunately, sometimes how it works, the comfort and dignity of the passengers are sacrificed for the sake of getting the airplane to it's next destination expediently.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

747hogg
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:23 am

This is why I get on my crippled knees at night, and thank Capt. Jesus for the Asian airlines! Respect, dignity, Selflessness, and a SINCERE appreciation for your business is what even the most lowly economy pax receive. Nothing comes before your comfort and safety... Any chance we can get AA to move to NRT and have JAL take over the US flights? One hour flight? Here sir, enjoy this healthy meal (well, perhaps not that good) but when are we going to demand some rights and start cranking open those exit doors when after endless hours of snorting the over flowing funk, and the screaming babies.... while other planes come and go all around? (research this AA story on yahoo..the airport was wide open) flying now has become as miserable if not worse than the greyhound.

eugdog

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:41 am

8 hours on hold sounds absolutely horrendous - allowing passengers to leave is not very easy - all their baggage has come out with them. If one passenger leaves they have to search for his baggage in the hold or take out all the baggage pallets to find the bag.

I would like to know the legal position - can an airline detain people on an aircraft?

tommy767

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:38 am

When I was flying in May 2006 from MSY-MIA-EWR on we had to divert on my first flight MSY-MIA because of severe thunderstorms in the Miami area. Our 738 circled for nearly 3 hours and then diverted to Fort Meyers for fuel. We were not allowed to leave the plane, and ended up being stuck onboard for 7 hours total, eventually being allowed to fly in MIA later that night. However, the F/As were very kind and kept serving drinks and showing films over the IFE system.

My outbound EWR flight was cancelled for the night. This was not surprising because MIA was in total chaos when we arrived. AA put me on a flight the following day over their telephone reservation system. The agent was very helpful, and this was before I made Gold. If you sweet-talk an agent they are going to help you out more.

The best thing to do in a situation like that is to be patient. Being angry in a somewhat claustrophobic environment isn't going to help anybody, and will most likely piss off the other travelers surrounding you. Sure breathing recirculated air for 7 hours sucks, but sometimes you have to suck it up when you run into a travel headache (no pun intended.)
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

747hogg
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:57 am

VERY good question! and the crux of this thread... When can the A/L detain you by force when the plane is sitting on the ground and the jetway is only a push of the button away? When they do this legal maneuver of retracting the jetway and closing the doors.... it is still a plane full of human beings who want to get the heck on with the trip, or after a reasonable wait, like 1-2 hours, want to scratch the whole idea and go back home. These AA people last month were SFO-DEN I recall, and were diverted to DFW for the weather. (Denver...what a great place to attempt to fly in the winter!) and after already being in a packed MD-80 for 4 hours, spent another 8 hours at a sealed gate until the Capt. declared a total muteney onboard and against AA orders, commanded the door open, and the prisoners set free. Now, this poor guy might be out of a job, but I hope the union will back him up.

OPNLguy

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:10 am

if a pax wants off and it screws the operations up of the A/L tuff chit! We are the customers and call the shots

OK, one pax wants off, and it screws the operations up of the airline (missed slot time, additional de-icing, whatever.) Don't look now, but it also screws up the plans of the other 199 pax onboard who don't want off the plane because they have the intelligence and patience to realilze that not everything that occurs is within control of the airline...

One pax "calling the shots" for the other 199? Good luck with that...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

adh214

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:16 am

I find it truly amazing when posters defend the airline on this one. Certainly, we all understand the difficulties in operating an airline, blah, blah, blah. However, I simply cannot believe that after 2 or 3 hours a solution could not have been found.

Regarding the issue of people being held on 9-11. As I recall that situation has happened exactly once in the entire history of civil avaition. Thunderstorms at DFW occur at least a dozen times a year. A different standard applies in this situation that did not apply on 9-11.

A few possibly solutions:

1. Work with TSA to make removing passengers to buses via stairs possible.
2. Change the work rules so that the pilots simply time out if the diversion lasts longer than a normal duty day. Do you really want a pilot flying that has been working for 12 hours and originally only planned on a 4 hour hop from SFO to DFW?
3. Demand that airlines not hold passengers hostage more than 3 hours.
4. For international flights, divert to a suitable airport such as Houston or Chicago. Those folks on the ZRH to DFW flight were on board for 22 hours total. Why didn't AA send them to Houston or turn around and go back to Chicago?

Andrew

lijnden

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:18 am

In January 1988 I and about 100 other passengers were held hostage on a TWA B747 flight JFK>LAX (I came from AMS) due to snow for about 5 hours. They towed the plane from the gate to some holding ramp and 'parked' it at 'a good location for a quick take-off'. Because of that 'quick take-off possibility' there was no service and the cabin crew did absolutely nothing and was hiding from passengers. After about four hours the crew was 'refreshed' and some TWA vans and a stair pulled up to the plane. The 'fresh' crew gave us finally something to drink/snacks and seemed surprised nothing was done to make the delay more comfortable for the passengers. Because of the light load of about 100 passengers, there was enough space in the 747. I can imagine that people will get crazy if they are stuck in a cramped RJ for several hours.
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

ckfred

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:19 pm

I was on an AA flight on 12/31 from ATL to ORD. Before boarding, the gate agent announced that the flight would sit on the hold pad for at least 90 minutes, probably 2 hours, and maybe 2.5 hours because of the weather at ORD. This was on top of a 1:10 delay, due to the plane being late from ORD.

To make matters worse, we were flying with our 3-year old son, who was already wound up from visiting his grandparents.

Guess what? Our son fell asleep during pushback, and after 5 minutes on the hold pad, the captain made the following announcement, "Folks, turn off the cell phones, and flight attendants, take your seats. By getting off the gate, we lucked out and got a slot. We're going."

Not only were were airborne 5 minutes later, but the 110 knot tailwind allowed us to make up 35 minutes.

This is why dispatchers are sometimes hesitant to put a plane into a gate. It's the plane that is on a hold pad adjacent to the departure runway that gets to leave early.

sking11

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:31 pm

The situation in DEN as I recall was due to the A/C being stuck in the snow or something like that. I would be more understanding of that issue. But the incident in AUS where the AA flight was diverted due to T/S in DFW was really horrid. You would think the restaraunts would have some sympathy for the hungry passengers!

[Edited 2007-01-13 14:41:19]

lincoln

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:27 am

NEXT time you become cattle being held by an airline, fake a medical emergency! Screw these greedy people, it's your life, and they can't hold you

It would be interesting to see what wouldl happen if a passenger lodged a criminal/civil complaint against the airline for kidnapping/false inprisonment.

Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 55, Section 1201:

Quote:
(a) Whoever unlawfully seizes, confines, inveigles, decoys, kidnaps, abducts, or carries away and holds for ransom or reward or otherwise any person, except in the case of a minor by the parent thereof, when—
(3) any such act against the person is done within the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States as defined in section 46501 of title 49;
shall be punished by imprisonment for any term of years or for life and, if the death of any person results, shall be punished by death or life imprisonment.

California law (in a quick search, I couldn't find a federal counterpart, but I would imagine its generally similar in all states), false imprisonment is the "nonconsensual, intentional confinement of a person, without lawful privilege, for an appreciable length of time, however short."

I would imagine that as soon as you make your desire to get off the plane known it is prima facie evidence that the confinement has become nonconesnsual.

I was on a CO flight EWR-CLE in December where the flight boarded on time, but thanks to weather, we sat on the ground for a decent amount of time [significantly longer than the scheduled flight time]. The crew did their best to make things comfortable, and announced that (a) If you wanted to get off, feel free to make your way to the front of the plane, and (b) when we had to leave the gate for an incoming flight that it was "your last opportunity without a lot of work" to get off.

Have I mentioned today how much of a fan of CO I am?

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

zvezda

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 30):
Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 55, Section 1201:

It's not kidnapping under that (and probably not under any other) statute because it is not done for ransom or reward. It may be false imprisonment under some statutes.

TVNWZ

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:40 am

The final insult for those AA passengers coming from SFO was that they were delayed already one hour in SFO because of an engine problem. If they would have left on time they would have arrived at DFW ahead of the storm.

When they tried to get hotel and food vouchers they were told "weather, no vouchers."

It wasn't until everyone got testy, and pointed out the engine problem, that AA forked over the vouchers. and then only after many stood in line for three hours to re-book flights and get the freebees.

Really, enough is enough.

azstagecoach

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 30):
The crew did their best to make things comfortable, and announced that (a) If you wanted to get off, feel free to make your way to the front of the plane, and (b) when we had to leave the gate for an incoming flight that it was "your last opportunity without a lot of work" to get off.

I also think highly of CO but I had the impression that the doors were closed regardless because otherwise the FA's don't get paid. Is this not part of the reason the doors get closed and stay that way?

Maybe you caught a break too because there was not another plane due at the gate. Then again I was stuck on a CO plane at EWR last summer for nearly two hours and the door was never opened.

lincoln

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 31):
It's not kidnapping under that (and probably not under any other) statute because it is not done for ransom or reward. It may be false imprisonment under some statutes.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think if the "or otherwise" in "holds for ransom or reward or otherwise any person" was construed broadly enough, it might just barely be kidnapping...granted, I don't have access to Lexis anymore, so I have no idea what the case law on the subject is.

Quoting Azstagecoach (Reply 33):
I also think highly of CO but I had the impression that the doors were closed regardless because otherwise the FA's don't get paid. Is this not part of the reason the doors get closed and stay that way?

Maybe you caught a break too because there was not another plane due at the gate. Then again I was stuck on a CO plane at EWR last summer for nearly two hours and the door was never opened

I think our total time on the ground was in the 2 hour range; originally the door was closed, then about 30 minutes into it the announcement was made that the door would be opened, and you could use cell phones, a little after that was the "if you want to get off" announcement, then they started a movie, after about 45 minutes into the movie they announced that another flight needed the gate and we were going to "Pretend like we're going to take off"...parked out in the middle of nowhere, movie going (and still allowed to use cell phones) for a while longer...and then we left.

I'm not sure how the crews get paid -- EWRCabincrew might be able to provide some elightenment -- but the crew remained amazingly good tempered throughout.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

galapagapop

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 7):
Does that ever happen? Maybe for an hour, but 8? Almost never, except in the case of huge accidents. Even then I'd be surprised if people were stuck in the same spot for 8 hours.

Holding pax on the ground for > 8 hours w/o food, water, or functioning bathrooms is completely unacceptable, especially when the capability to offload the pax exists, which it always does. This kind of situation could very easily cause serious health problems or death (say hypoglycemic shock for diabetics, dehydration, etc. etc.)

Well 8 years ago I got stuck in New London, CT on I-95 for 5 hours in the same 1 mile stretch, as a car carrier flipped over and sent cars across all 3 lanes and across the median and it's 3 lanes, and then it itself caught on fire, backroads got so backed up, took somewhere near an hour till fire trucks could get near it, just turned off the engine and relaxed, but you can only do that so long, luckily they cleared one lane for us and I was on my way. At least in a car I could get out if I REALLY needed to. Versus an A/C where you are really packed in tight and cannot get out so easily.

ordflier

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:14 am

In the wake of these publicized incidents I would guess that more carriers are simply going to just cancel the flights in advance. Doing so saves them substantial amounts of crew time and precious fuel. Customers will then be left to fight for whatever few open seats are left and will be stranded at the airport at their expense till they get out - even though many could have departed with a delay.
ORDflier