thomasphoto60

GLS (Galveston) And Commerical Air Service?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:38 am

About an hour ago I saw a report on a local newscast (Channel 2 for Houston area A.Netters, sorry no link to this story could be found on their site) profiling the booming cruise ship industry from the ports of Houston and Galveston. Aside from the predictable upbeat comments such as "The Houston/ Galveston ports are the fastest growing cruse ship ports in the country" and "That the Texas ports hope to surpass Florida in the coming years", what got me to thinking, what, if any impact this might have on the prospects of restarting commercial aviation from Galveston?

From what some old timers have said , GLS has not had commercial service since the late 60s. If this story is remotely accurate in their reporting, then it seems to me that GLS may me ready to make a comeback. One interesting part of the story was that a sizable number of passengers embarking form Houston or Galveston, drove as opposed to flying into either IAH or HOU, and we are talking from cities as far away as Indianapolis, St Louis and Chicago. Now if the city of Galveston were to toy with the idea or re-opening of GLS to commercial traffic, I wonder if HAS (Houston Airports Systems), might see this as a threat to their cash cow, HOU some 45 miles to the north?

Below is a link to the GLS website

http://www.galvestonairport.com/interior.html

Anyway, I thought I would just throw that out and see what you all thought.

Thomas

[Edited 2007-01-12 00:39:00]
"Show me the Braniffs"

102IAHexpress

RE: GLS (Galveston) And Commerical Air Service?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Thread starter):
what got me to thinking, what, if any impact this might have on the prospects of restarting commercial aviation from Galveston?

Once the new Bayport Cruise Terminal opens this year I would imagine that most if not all of Galveston's cruise ships will eventually move to Houston, so what little demand the island had for commercial air service will be killed. Rumor is that the city of Houston would not have spent tens of millions of dollars on a new terminal without some assurances from the cruise lines that they would move their operations to Bayport.

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:17 am

Yeah the Bayport terminal was referenced as well as an aerial view of the complex under construction. While there is an agreement between both ports, once Bayport is completed, that agreement probably won't be worth the paper it is written on. That said, Galveston has a bit of a tourist draw, whether it is enough to keep Princess and Carnival and their 3600 pax mega-ships, time will tell.

Back to the topic at hand, should Bayport fail to draw the cruise ship companies and Galveston becomes the main cruise ship port on the Gulf (btw, which port is currently the busiest cruise ship port on the Gulf) , would this give new life to GLS?

Thomas

[Edited 2007-01-12 02:18:43]
"Show me the Braniffs"

102IAHexpress

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:08 am

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 2):
That said, Galveston has a bit of a tourist draw

That is debatable. One of the main draws to the city, which quickly wears off, is its tragic history. Indeed, there’s some absolutely beautiful architecture that survived the storm, but most of the city has a reputation for being dirty, with many bad neighborhoods, and of course there is the brown water. But to Galveston’s credit they do realize that they have an image problem and according to this article they are trying to improve it.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTI...2/18/galveston.image.ap/index.html

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 2):
Back to the topic at hand, should Bayport fail to draw the cruise ship companies and Galveston becomes the main cruise ship port on the Gulf (btw, which port is currently the busiest cruise ship port on the Gulf) , would this give new life to GLS?

I just don’t see commercial air service resuming at GLS, but to be honest I really don’t know that much about that part of town. As far as the busiest cruise port in the Gulf, I think these numbers may help, though they are a bit old.

Quote:

TOP 12 PORTS
World's busiest cruise ports in 2005:
1. Miami, Fla.
2. Port Everglades, Fla.
3. Cozumel, Mexico
4. Port Canaveral, Fla.
5. Nassau, Bahamas
6. George Town,
Grand Cayman
7. St. Thomas
8. San Juan,
Puerto Rico
9. St. Maarten
10. Los Angeles
11. Barcelona, Spain
12. Galveston
Source: Lloyd's Cruise International
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/cruise/3662902.html

da man

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 3):
As far as the busiest cruise port in the Gulf, I think these numbers may help, though they are a bit old.

I think he means the ports where the cruises originate from, not destinations, but even then Galveston would not be #1, but it would certainly be higher than 12.
War Eagle!

atct

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:44 am

Galveston (the city/island) with a few dollars invested would be a beautiful town. Since ive moved to Houston, ive wondered why GLS doesnt have air service. AE could serve it with a Saab from DFW, though I think IAH-GLS would be a pretty useless route as its only an hour-hour 15 minute drive, and only a 30 minute drive from Hobby (HOU). I know Colgan does IAH-BPT which also is a short hop (45-60 minutes drive) so maybe.

I hope Scholes field will get some air service other than PHI and Evergreen Helo's.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:55 am

That is debatable.

That why I used the phrase "A bit of a tourist draw".

But to Galveston’s credit they do realize that they have an image problem and according to this article they are trying to improve it.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTI....html

Indeed if Galveston can get it's act together, it does have a bright future.

As far as the busiest cruise port in the Gulf, I think these numbers may help, though they are a bit old.

12. Galveston

So Galveston is the busiest on the US Gulf Coast
[quote=102IAHexpress,reply=3]
"Show me the Braniffs"

Lt-AWACS

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:03 pm

I knew plenty of GLS area folks who used to drive to Ellington for the old COex EFD-IAH flight but now that that is gone who knows maybe GLS would work connecting to IAH.

IIRC One cruise line uses Houston now and two use Galveston. Any ideas from that broadcast which might switch or if new boats are coming in?

Was there an attempt at DFW-GLS service in the late 90s early 2000 timeframe? I vaguely remember talk of such service somewhere but cannot find anything online.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, If you can't hold your bladder for a two hour flight, drive
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

hush-kit

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:17 pm

I don't get it... One of the busiest ap in TX, Hobby Airport, is just 20-25 mins away on I-45, and Hobby Airport serves a majority of Galveston cruisers and vacationers. I dare to say that IAH is more far away from Downtown Houston than Galveston from Hobby...So, really, there is no need to shift capacity. Regards, Chris

btw: I am as well quite familiar with the Galveston area...I tied the knot down there and returned there since, and it is has wonderful places and streets, charming cafes and as well naughty bars...

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 7):
IIRC One cruise line uses Houston now and two use Galveston. Any ideas from that broadcast which might switch or if new boats are coming in?

IIIRC, NCL uses Barbours Cut in Houston and Princess and Carnival sail into Galveston. From the broadcast, Houston will begin pouring on the hard sell to Carnival for their 3600pax monster once Bayport is completed this year.

Was there an attempt at DFW-GLS service in the late 90s early 2000 timeframe? I vaguely remember talk of such service somewhere but cannot find anything online.

Well according to the report, DFW residents make up the largest market from Texas (c'mon Houstonians, don't let these Dallas guys are beat us on our on turf  wink  ). I am not certain about the DFW/DAL-GLS service though, but considering the amount of cruisers from N. Texas, it seems like a natural.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

stirling

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:24 pm

From what some old timers have said , GLS has not had commercial service since the late 60s.

Hmmm.
I know the primary carrier into Galveston would have been TransTexas (TI), but after that, I am thinking there was a short-lived carrier out there, and into the 1970s.

My home was Dallas from 77-81, and I seem to remember a carrier going down to Galveston from Love Field...but can't find a lick of proof on-line.

One of the main draws to the city...

....Is trying to figure out what Glen Campbell was singing about!
Delete this User

dtw9

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 pm

In April 1972 I flew DTW-IAH-GLS. Flew on a Delta CV880 to IAH. From IAH, I flew on a Texas International DHC6 Twin Otter to GLS. What a sight at 10pm looking out the front window of the Otter as we turned final for GLS. I had relatives who lived three blocks over from the airport. Walked over one day to get a closer look at the old Connie sitting near the fence by the terminal. I always wondered what happened to that old bird.

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:36 pm

WOW what a great thread!

I've heard of the city of Galveston desiring to work with an airline/charter group for a few years in an attempt to get service to the island to support the cruise ships. That would be the only reason IMHO to have airline/charter service to GLS as the beaches are not all that wonderful nor is the water the lovely color of Cancun. I can't think many people who would actually fly to GLS for a vacation to support air travel other than those who are going to get on a cruise ship.

The airport itself is would require some modification. The runways are 6,000' long with an ILS to 13......RNAV's to the other, terminal need lots of work, Tower is only open from 6AM-6PM now and the helicopter traffic is very much the livelyhood of the airport. Moody Gardens is almost on the airport, Lone Star Flight Museum is great and that is just about it.

Love to see commercial traffic into GLS but with HOU (SWA) and IAH (COA) not that far off it just doesn't seem likely any airline would put their assets into the area.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 10):
Hmmm.
I know the primary carrier into Galveston would have been TransTexas (TI), but after that, I am thinking there was a short-lived carrier out there, and into the 1970s.

My Grandfather worked for Braniff, and I seem to recall seeing timtables of the era at my Grandparents place, listing Galveston from DAL and HOU. That said at the time I was just a tyke living in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, so I sure my memory is not what it used to be  smile  .

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:45 pm

I don't remember that ever getting started, yet, I am old and tired!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

stirling

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 13):
My Grandfather worked for Braniff, and I seem to recall seeing timtables of the era at my Grandparents place, listing Galveston from DAL and HOU

Well, that would have been a VERY LONG TIME AGO!!!! Wink

I think Braniff went out of Galveston by 1960. Maybe 1959?
Delete this User

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 15):
Well, that would have been a VERY LONG TIME AGO!!!! Wink

Indeed, it was!  wink 

Quoting Stirling (Reply 15):
I think Braniff went out of Galveston by 1960. Maybe 1959?

Possibly, however I recall the timtables from the late 60s showing GLS. That said, these listings might have reflected an interline agreement, (what today would be called a codeshare) very likely with TTA .

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

PanHAM

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:59 pm

..and since no one has mentioned the wonderful air museum at GLS, I do it herewith.

Really worth going there, first time I saw a real B58 Hustler, besides many other interesting planes and items they have there. Plus the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame.

The city itself is a Museum.
powered by Eierlikör

aaway

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting Dtw9 (Reply 11):
I flew on a Texas International DHC6 Twin Otter to GLS.

No you didn't, as TT never operated the DHC-6 (TT did operate the Beech 99). I have a Metro Airlines timetable from May, 1972 showing IAH-GLS service
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

dtw9

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting Aaway (Reply 18):
No you didn't, as TT never operated the DHC-6 (TT did operate the Beech 99). I have a Metro Airlines timetable from May, 1972 showing IAH-GLS service

After resting my tired brain I do recall it was Metro International. Thanks for the refresh. If you have the timetable maybe you could tell me the flight number. It seems to me I arrived around 10pm.

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 17):
..and since no one has mentioned the wonderful air museum at GLS, I do it herewith.

Ah I beg your pardon, check reply 12 out!  Smile

Quoting Iahflyr (Reply 12):
Lone Star Flight Museum is great

Quoting Aaway (Reply 18):
I have a Metro Airlines timetable from May, 1972 showing IAH-GLS service

Did that have a stop at Clear Lake City STOLPORT???

PanHAM

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:18 pm

Quoting Iahflyr (Reply 20):

Ah I beg your pardon, check reply 12 out

Pardonnez moi
powered by Eierlikör

PavlovsDog

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:20 pm

I imagine it would be easier for both passengers and cruise operators to fly into Houston since it is already served by pretty much all markets of consequence. A bus ride to Galveston would probably be easier, quicker and cheaper than changing planes elsewhere to fly to GLS.

yellowtail

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 5):
IAH-GLS would be a pretty useless route as its only an hour-hour 15 minute drive, and only a 30 minute drive from Hobby (HOU).

Well lots of people used to use the IAH-ELF service and to a lesser extent IAH-HOU (remember they even had a DC9!)....and GLS is further.....CO must be able to fill an ATR with local traffic that doesn't want to drive to IAH

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 9):
Well according to the report, DFW residents make up the largest market from Texas (c'mon Houstonians, don't let these Dallas guys are beat us on our on turf    ). I am not certain about the DFW/DAL-GLS service though,

Well Houstonians are a more refined bunch than to take a booze cruise to CZM!  Big grin We prefer the more off the beaten track locals.

Now I will duck, cause I know whats coming
 flamed 
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

adh214

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:05 am

Does anyone know why Princess is not returning to Galveston for the 07-08 season and if they plan to return at any point in the future?

Andrew

aaway

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting Dtw9 (Reply 19):
After resting my tired brain I do recall it was Metro International. Thanks for the refresh. If you have the timetable maybe you could tell me the flight number. It seems to me I arrived around 10pm

HY 125 dpt IAH 21:35 arv GLS 22:00. Dtw9, up to this point, TT was still flying the GLS-IAH route every day, except Saturday, with a Convair 600. In addition, all HY flights at IAH used the CO satellite, except the GLS flights, which departed from the TT satellite. Perhaps the source of your confusion.

Sounds as if HY had been named the replacement carrier for TT by the CAB (or Texas Aeronautics Commission) as TT began to withdraw its service.

Nonstop IAH-GLS-IAH
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

IAHFLYR

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 23):
Well lots of people used to use the IAH-ELF service and to a lesser extent IAH-HOU (remember they even had a DC9!)....and GLS is further.....CO must be able to fill an ATR with local traffic that doesn't want to drive to IAH

HUH, IAH-ELF, do you actually mean Ellington Field (EFD)? If it is EFD you are referring to alot of that traffic was NASA employees and they did use all the COEX airplanes from the E120's to the ATR's to the RJ's as they arrived into the fleet. Full, don't know if full but the 2 times I flew the IAH EFD route they RJ was about 1/3 full.

Yes, the IAH-HOU route was a few different DC9's.....Emerald Airlines did it with a -15 and I think the Houston Proud slogan was used when it was a COA DC9, wow that goes a long way back.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 21):
Pardonnez moi

[Edited 2007-01-12 16:12:04]

Lt-AWACS

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:16 am

As I noted above I flew IAH-EFD several times and it was packed every single time. Like any flying it just depending on the time of day but it was popular with Galveston county folks also.

Great service, wish it would come back!

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, It's shake and bake and I helped
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

IAHFLYR

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting Dtw9 (Reply 19):
Metro International. Thanks

Metro Airlines!

Quoting Hush-Kit (Reply 8):
One of the busiest ap in TX, Hobby Airport, is just 20-25 mins away on I-45, and Hobby Airport serves a majority of Galveston cruisers and vacationers. I dare to say that IAH is more far away from Downtown Houston than Galveston from Hobby

NOT

HOU to GLS in 20-25 minutes....wow you must be taking the police cruiser....cuzz it's 37 statute miles from airport to airport on a straight line which I45 pretty much is.

IAH is a mere 17 statute miles to downtown Houston, quite a bit closer than the HOU-GLS trip!

btw: I am quite familiar with the area as I've lived here for over 24 yrs.  Big grin

stirling

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting Aaway (Reply 25):
Sounds as if HY had been named the replacement carrier for TT by the CAB (or Texas Aeronautics Commission) as TT began to withdraw its service.

Ironic. I believe it was Tree-Top (TT-Trans-Texas) that was the replacement carrier for Braniff. (FYI-For you Young'ns, back in the day, when TT seemed to serve any strip in the state with DC3s, many flights seemed to skim along at "tree-top" level...it never being far to the next stop, hence the nickname.)

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 16):
Possibly, however I recall the timtables from the late 60s showing GLS. That said, these listings might have reflected an interline agreement, (what today would be called a codeshare) very likely with TTA .

I actually went back and checked out my schedules, which go back as far as 1958, and there is no Galveston on the map.

However, here are a couple of BN route maps I found elsewhere on-line:

You can barely see Galveston on the 1953 edition.

Gone by 1961:

http://www.airchive.com/Timetables%20and%20Maps/Braniff%20Compresse/*BNmap6510.jpg

And here it shows up in 1967 with TT:

Delete this User

yellowtail

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:40 am

I dunno about other Galvestonians, but every time I go visit my brother there it is such a pain the butt to drive all the way from IAH.....if they did a $50 each way shuttle flight..I am on there!!!!!!!!

thomasphoto60

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:55 am

[quote=Stirling,reply=29]I actually went back and checked out my schedules, which go back as far as 1958, and there is no Galveston on the map.

Thanks Stirling,

I really should have checked with Braniffpages or any number of the Braniff sites online first. Still, I swear that I recalled seeing GLS listed from a late 60s era timetable, perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

ABQopsHP

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:06 am

My Metro Airlines timetable from July 1, 1981. is as follows

GLS-IAH
730a 800a x67 HY104 0
735a 820a 6 HY310 1
900a 930a x67 HY108 0
1235p 120p HY116 1
235p 320p x6 HY118 1
650p 720p x6 HY120 0
945p 1015p x6 HY124 0
IAH-GLS
650a 720a 6 HY101 0
815a 845a x67 HY105 0
1135a 1205p HY109 0
1235p 115p x6 HY115 1
555p 635p x6 HY117 1
850a 930a x6 HY121 1

The schedule states that customers are to check in at Gate 6A at IAH.
And yes the plane stoped at Clear Lake City STOLport.

Rgds JD
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

thomasphoto60

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting ABQopsHP (Reply 32):
And yes the plane stoped at Clear Lake City STOLport.

This was long gone before I moved to Texas but I find the existence of this unique airport in the middle of Clear Lake City fascinating. Does anyone know history on the STOLport and more importantly, photos?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

ABQopsHP

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:41 am

I remember stoping at Clear Lake as a kid to watch the planes come and go. But I never took any pics. Damn  Sad
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

ScottB

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:21 am

Aside from the predictable upbeat comments such as "The Houston/ Galveston ports are the fastest growing cruse ship ports in the country" and "That the Texas ports hope to surpass Florida in the coming years", what got me to thinking, what, if any impact this might have on the prospects of restarting commercial aviation from Galveston?

Well, speaking as someone originally from Galveston, the key problem with commercial air service at GLS is that the market size is limited by geography and the general state of Galveston itself. For people in the nearby communities (i.e. Texas City or La Marque), driving to HOU is a comparable or shorter drive. Given that, GLS can really only draw from people on the island, which has a year-round population of about 60,000 -- and that number has not increased since 1970. And HOU itself is only about 35 miles from the Galveston end of the Causeway, and perhaps up to 5 miles further from most points behind the Seawall.

Cruise ships might be able to fill up a few flights a week on the days when the ships are in port, but more consistent traffic flows are necessary to make the flights worthwhile on the other days. And without at least three or four daily flights to a major hub like IAH or DFW, the service won't be convenient enough for Islanders to eschew simply driving to HOU and IAH. CO's EFD service worked because it was reasonably frequent and because it was essentially free. And the higher speed limits between Houston and Galveston in the last ten years have made the drive somewhat less tedious than it was back during the days of the 55 mph limit.

Moody Gardens is almost on the airport, Lone Star Flight Museum is great and that is just about it.

Schlitterbahn is also a recent addition to the area.

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 30):
I dunno about other Galvestonians, but every time I go visit my brother there it is such a pain the butt to drive all the way from IAH

I've done it for years and you get used to it. If you're on Southwest to HOU it's not a bad drive. And you can always take the Galveston Limo.

toxtethogrady

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:48 am

I've heard of the city of Galveston desiring to work with an airline/charter group for a few years in an attempt to get service to the island to support the cruise ships

This is what would make it work. If CO were to work an agreement with one of the cruise lines to commit 100% of the seats at, say 50 cents a seat ($25 each way), it would be competitive with the van services, and passengers would get to miss the security hassles at IAH and the freeway drive from IAH to Galveston (throw in Houston traffic, and that hour drive can become 2 or more). And the $50 R/T can be tacked onto the price of the cruise ticket or absorbed into separate fares from DFW and other cities to GLS via connection in IAH. The problem with the route is it's one day a week...but on that one day, there are 5000 people coming into Galveston to get on a cruise ship. Can it work? Well, it IS the weekend, when the airline would not be using its aircraft as intensively.

erj-145mech

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:43 pm

Won't work, gotta have security. The US Congress has already mandated this. Can't dump a plane load of un scanned passengers and luggage into the secured area in another airport.

The City of Galveston would have to construct a new terminal building in order to accomodate the security check points.

Can't do this for $25/ seat and still show a profit. The boats dock on saturdays and embark on sunday afternoons. That means a deadhead out and a deadhead in.

102IAHexpress

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:48 am

Coincidently there’s an opinion piece in today’s Chronicle seeking to reestablish rail service between the city and the island.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/4468966.html

Quote:
All aboard a revived plan: rail to Galveston
By ALAN KOLODNY
Gulf breezes whisper: "Welcome to our future."

Yes, the future is incredibly bright for our Bayou City, but her Houston's great potential is inextricably linked to improving quality of life and tourism. And Galveston is essential to both.
...To start reaping those benefits, let's bring back the Texas Gulfliner passenger rail service. Regular rail service between Houston and Galveston ceased in 1967, but the Gulfliner successfully returned in pilot programs ending in the 2003 Labor Day passage from League City and Alvin to Galveston.
...Just imagine: On a Saturday morning, the family departs for the train station in downtown Houston. The day ahead will include an enjoyable rail passagetrip to Galveston, where trolleys and shuttle buses await disembarking passengers for convenient shopping, lounging, eating and beach fun. At the end of the day, all toarrive back at the station for the trip home, relaxed and without another mile on the car's odometer.
... The Port of Houston's Bayport expansion and the cruise terminal therein would further assure the Gulfliner's success.
Although I pray we're spared, the Gulfliner would also facilitate hurricane evacuations from Houston's vulnerable coastal region. All these benefits weigh heavily against the relatively low cost of implementation on mostly pre-existing rail lines.

Here is my proposal in a nutshell:
Trains would leave Houston, with Galveston as their final destination. They would stop at Hobby Airport, NASA / Johnson Space Center, Kemah / Seabrook, Texas City and Galveston, with connections from Alvin to Brazoria County.....

toxtethogrady

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting Erj-145mech (Reply 37):
Won't work, gotta have security.

There would be security, but the hassle factor has got to be much less than it is at a hub airport. Handling 50 at a time is a lot easier than hundreds or thousands.

IAHFLYR

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting Toxtethogrady (Reply 39):
There would be security, but the hassle factor has got to be much less than it is at a hub airport. Handling 50 at a time is a lot easier than hundreds or thousands

Why do you think only 50, are you gonna take the COEX trailer from EFD that has already been sold and put in near the terminal building in GLS???

Security has been something of an issue with the cruise lines and GLS for a few years now, not a thing you just go poof and you have a spot for security.

Analog

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 35):
And you can always take the Galveston Limo.

Two hours in an old hotel shuttle sans suspension?  vomit  Driving is better, but costs at least double, given the price of one way car rentals.

Much as I would love the idea of an IAH-GLS shuttle, the problem with the whole idea is that the main customer base (cruise ship pax) would still have to be bussed to the ships. That, plus the wait at IAH for the connection, would kill pretty much any time savings.

yellowtail

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 35):
I've done it for years and you get used to it. If you're on Southwest to HOU it's not a bad drive. And you can always take the Galveston Limo.

Well if you are coming in from International....I am afraid you gotta go to IAH