DCAYOW
Topic Author

AA: Restricts Expedia Ticket Sales

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:22 am

News on wire that effective immediately American AA will restrict Expedia ticket sales to coach domestic tickets only! Anyone have the scoop as to why AA is doing this?
Retorne ao céu...

atlaaron

RE: AA: Restricts Expedia Ticket Sales

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:47 am

That doesn't make any sense to me. Hopefully someone can explain why they would do this.

zippyjet

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:49 am

Interesting! Could it be instead that AA is limiting or eliminating the old fashioned 1970s paper tickets?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

stirling

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:52 am

Sounds like they want more control over their premium product.

I don't think it is a big deal...most people booking premium tickets I know go to the airline website anyway....I know I do with Continental, and I'm nowhere near being an elite customer....but rather, why go through a middle-man when it is just as easy to go to the source?
Delete this User

ahlfors

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:01 pm

Maybe Expedia's customer service is so bad that customers end up calling AA which creates costs for AA? Especially relevant on international itineraries which can require more competent agents in case of changes etc.

zippyjet

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 3):
but rather, why go through a middle-man when it is just as easy to go to the source?

And, with that middle man extra step (paper tickets) you pony up a fee for them sending them to you via the US Mail, another cluster f situation. We've had many passengers, that were supposed to produce paper tickets from Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity but, never got them in their mail. Especially during periods of government holidays which is almost monthly, which means another day off and less potential for shooting each other at the post office.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

RDUDDJI

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Sounds like they want more control over their premium product.

That was my initial assessment, but why only expedia? I personally think all airlines should keep tighter reins on their premium products...
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

SA7700

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 pm

why go through a middle-man when it is just as easy to go to the source?

This is due to the fact that some of us are not allowed to book and pay for e-tickets via USA airlines websites. For instance, I can not buy a ticket on united.com or continental.com, due to the fact that all my credit cards have South African billing addresses. Apparently it is for credit card security reasons, however I find it difficult to understand why airlines like US Airways and Qantas are more than willing to accept my South African credit card via the internet, but most other companies not. If I want to book a ticket on United or Continental, a third-party thus has to enter on my behalf – which is not always convenient for me.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

atlaaron

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:40 pm

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 6):
That was my initial assessment, but why only expedia?

Based on the press release it sounds like Expedia ticked them off somehow. Especially since it made a point to say Expedia and any sites owned/operated by Expedia.

TSS

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Expedia issues paperless electronic tickets for flights on AA. They will mail you actual paper tickets if you insist on them, but there is an extra charge for that service above and beyond the cost of postage.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ikramerica

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting Ahlfors (Reply 4):
Maybe Expedia's customer service is so bad that customers end up calling AA which creates costs for AA? Especially relevant on international itineraries which can require more competent agents in case of changes etc.

This may be the answer.

I know that things do go wrong quite a bit with Expedia/Travelocity reservations, on airlines and at hotels. Travelocity seems to be pretty good about resolving things in my experience, and I don't know about Expedia. If they have a bad history, then maybe AA is covering their customers here.

OR---

The other option is that AA wants to sell hotels and excursions and such, and figure that international pax and premium domestic pax are not looking for the "best deal" but a package that gives the "best experience" and AA.com will make more money by selling this directly at AA.com...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting Ahlfors (Reply 4):
Maybe Expedia's customer service is so bad that customers end up calling AA which creates costs for AA?

checkmark 
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:26 pm

expedia.de and expedia.co.uk are still selling F/J tickets on AA flights, so it might just be a contract issue (perhaps related to compensation?) on the U.S. site.
International Homo of Mystery

dz09

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:33 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
I know that things do go wrong quite a bit with Expedia/Travelocity reservations, on airlines and at hotels. Travelocity seems to be pretty good about resolving things in my experience, and I don't know about Expedia. If they have a bad history, then maybe AA is covering their customers here.

Out of all the online travel sites, I only use expedia. Things do go wrong with expedia, but the difference is that they try to help you. They often issue vouchers or coupons if they can't help you resolve a problem. My experience with orbitz is that whenever there is a problem with a ticket or a reservation then you're on your own. The problem with Travelocity is that their call centers are in India. I am curious to know why AA would restrict Expedia ticket sales. AA should improve their website instead.

SA7700

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
The other option is that AA wants to sell hotels and excursions and such, and figure that international pax and premium domestic pax are not looking for the "best deal" but a package that gives the "best experience" and AA.com will make more money by selling this directly at AA.com...

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the use then if they "exclude" potential customers decided by the customers’ credit card billing addresses? If those packages on AA.com are not available to the widest possible demographic, they loose out on additional new business and revenue.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

HPAEAA

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:27 pm

http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pr...sReleases/2007_01/11_expedia.jhtml
there's the link to the press release, it says that US customer's will be closed out of the premium class ticket purchases... hope this explains why Europe still sees the tickets for sale..
Why do I fly???

swiftski

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:41 pm

How strange as I've just used Expedia for the first time (prefer to go direct) to book UA LGA-ORD then AA ORD-EWR.

Worked though..