LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

FRA Back As Second Biggest Airport Of Europe?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 am

Hello,

I´ve a question: will we ever see FRA back as the Second Airport in Europe?

I think until 2003 (2004?) FRA had more passengers than CDG but as they don´t built the 4 landing runway I presume that FRA will stay at this level.

This year FRA has just grown 1 % to compare Air Traffic world wide 5 %

Delays + 4 %

All this due that there are no more slots!
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

incitatus

RE: FRA Back As Second Biggest Airport Of Europe?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:23 am

Yes, in the future Frankfurt will be second. CDG will be first, LHR will be third.
Stop pop up ads

HUYguy

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 1):
Yes, in the future Frankfurt will be second. CDG will be first, LHR will be third.

What do you have a crystal ball or something?

airbazar

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting HUYguy (Reply 2):

What do you have a crystal ball or something?

I think he has a point. It's a matter of looking at the overall picture. London has 2 major international airports and LHR is extemely limited for growth while Paris and Frankfurt only have one airport. CDG also has more room to grow than LHR so it's not that far fetched to think that CDG could become #1 at some point.

DavidT

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 3):
It's a matter of looking at the overall picture. London has 2 major international airports and LHR is extemely limited for growth while Paris and Frankfurt only have one airport.

Has Orly recently disappeared?  Smile

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:15 am

CDG will be first,

Why not FRA 1st all the time FRA was bigger than CDG until the Capacity couldn´t grwo more at FRA they´ld have more passanger if this would not have happened...

YULMRS

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:32 am

I think he has a point. It's a matter of looking at the overall picture. London has 2 major international airports and LHR is extemely limited for growth while Paris and Frankfurt only have one airport. CDG also has more room to grow than LHR so it's not that far fetched to think that CDG could become #1 at some point.

You forgot Orly, Hann and Le Bourget  Wink

But, you're right on the main point i think, there's almost no more possible expansion in LHR, while CDG can still expand. All the parisian traffic growth will go to CDG because ORY is locked at 250 000 flights a year.

I have an interesting link about ADP investment in CDG :

Aerocontact, sorry, french only

2 main figures from this story, ADP will invest 2.34 billion euros in CDG and capacity will grow of 19.4 million PAX a year, i don't think this can be done in LHR.
To any North American carrier, send us a regular flight in MRS !!!!!

airbazar

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting YULMRS (Reply 6):
You forgot Orly, Hann and Le Bourget

I didn't realize you could fly to places like India, China and S.America from Orly and Le Bourget which is where traffic is supposed to increase significantly in the next 10 years but if so, I stand corrected.

YULMRS

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 7):
I didn't realize you could fly to places like India, China and S.America from Orly and Le Bourget which is where traffic is supposed to increase significantly in the next 10 years but if so, I stand corrected.

You're right, I was only joking.

But there's still some long haul at ORY (RUN, EWR, FDF, PTP ...)
To any North American carrier, send us a regular flight in MRS !!!!!

foxxray

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:52 am

LHR handled 66 424 767 pax on 2000 and approximately 68 000 000 on 2005 so just a little bit more than 1.5 million of pax in six years whereas CDG handled 48 246 137 pax on 2000 and 56 026 177 on 2005 so approximately 7.8 million of pax in six years !

I think that CDG will be the biggest european airport in the future !

Baexecutive

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting FoxXray (Reply 9):

I think your missing 1 crucial point, Heathrow has Terminal 5, when that becomes operational it is expected to make Heathrow the worlds busiest airport.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting FoxXray (Reply 9):

Maybe but just because France has no more important Airports in all country
as Germany with MUC DUS HAM or the UK with MAN and LHR LGW.

foxxray

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:04 am

Yes the T5 will be great for LHR but how many pax it will be able to handle ?

CDG will get its new S3 this year with 8.5 millions of pax per year and they plan to grow the CDG capacity of 19.4 millions by 2012 !

IBERIA747

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 10):
Heathrow has Terminal 5, when that becomes operational it is expected to make Heathrow the worlds busiest airport.

And where are airlines going to obtain more slots from?.

In LHR's case, they can build as many terminals as they want, but if the slots are not increased then no traffic growth is possible, and this is what's happening at LHR as long as they remain with just 2 runways.

Just look at aircraft movements...LHR is not Europe's Nº1 in that area.

Now if a 3rd runway could be built at LHR then it would allow traffic to increase much more than it has done in the last few years.

[Edited 2007-01-12 19:14:55]
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

foxxray

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 11):
Maybe but just because France has no more important Airports in all country
as Germany with MUC DUS HAM or the UK with MAN and LHR LGW

It can be because of it, or because of that,... the fact is that CDG will be the biggest airport in Europe in medium term !
ORY hasn't a lot of long haul flights (to RUN, PTP, FDF, EWR, YUL,...) but it is still an important airport (25 millions of pax and 250000 movements per year)

FRA, MUC and DUS ok, these are important !

but HAM is as big NCE !

FlySSC

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 7):

Even with a limited long-haul destinations, ORLY was ranked the 10th European Airport with 24 053 215 PAX in 2004, behind FCO, MUC or BCN, but before MAN (21.544M), CPH (18.965M), ZRH (17.28M), LIS, ATH, IST or VIE.

CDG+ORY = more than 75 Million PAX, behind LHR+LGW but well ahead FRA.

MarkATL

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:35 am

Frankfurt only have one airport.

Everyone except the folks at Ryan Air agree with you. Big grin
"...left my home in Georgia, 'n headed for the "Frisco" Bay...

airbazar

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:44 am

I think your missing 1 crucial point, Heathrow has Terminal 5, when that becomes operational it is expected to make Heathrow the worlds busiest airport.

That may alleviate the lack of gate space or reduce connection times for passengers but it will do little or nothing to increase the number of slots. You'll still only have 2 runways and there are only so many landings and takeoffs per hour, that LHR can support. From what I've seen, FRA stands a better chance of building an additional runway than LHR but that's not saying much  Smile

PanHAM

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:15 am

FRA has a good chance to catch up again when runway #4 becomes operational. That will give an increase in movements by at least 160.000 p.a. and with T3 passenger capacity will be well over 80 Million.

The questions will be -can LHR add a third runway and can CDG continue to grow or will a new Paris airport be built.

Germany is polycentric, which actually is a big advantage over countries having a very large single economic centre like the UK and France. And - going from FRA to CGN does not take more time than going from CDG to ORY or LHR to LGW.

Add the 3,7 ;illion in HHN and the ca. 10 Million in CGN, that adds up to 66 Million as well. DUS has another 16.5 Million, hence, in an area about the size of Metro London (or Greater LAX) 4 airports handle almost 83 Million passengers annually.
powered by Eierlikör

flyorski

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 am

FRA may also see increased capacity, from larger aircraft replacing smaller ones.... LH has larger 747-8s and 380s coming..........
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting FoxXray (Reply 14):
FRA, MUC and DUS ok, these are important !

Well both are in the European Top 10 and DUS is growing more and more

the new runway will allow to grow capacity 50 % so FRA will be the biggest also a new terminal (T3) will be built to finish 2013

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 18):
FRA has a good chance to catch up again when runway #4 becomes operational. That will give an increase in movements by at least 160.000 p.a. and with T3 passenger capacity will be well over 80 Million.

That´s it!

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 18):
Add the 3,7 ;illion in HHN and the ca. 10 Million in CGN, that adds up to 66 Million as well. DUS has another 16.5 Million, hence, in an area about the size of Metro London (or Greater LAX) 4 airports handle almost 83 Million passengers annually.

Never calculated this , it´s really much ! Well the Rhein-Ruhr gebiet is the most important Industrial zone in Europe so it´s logic ...

Viscount724

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:20 am

Nobody has mentioned AMS. I think it's the only major airport in Europe with 5 runways (actually 6 if you count a short one mainly used for general aviation). Plenty of room for growth.

Without a 3rd runway (I won't hold my breath for that), the only way LHR can continue growing in passenger traffic is by using larger aircraft, thus it's likely to be one of the major A380 destinations. LHR has virtually no regional jet or turboprop traffic unlike most of the other major European hubs. That also limits the markets that can be served from/to LHR to major cities that can support the mainline jets...737s, A320s and up, and even those are rather small to make the best use of the limited LHR slots.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 21):
the only way LHR can continue growing in passenger traffic is by using larger aircraft, thus it's likely to be one of the major A380 destinations.

Well Airbus designed it for this Airports with no more capacity grow in near future

stylo777

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:25 am

you have to take into account that the 4th runway at FRA will be used for landings only.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 23):
you have to take into account that the 4th runway at FRA will be used for landings only.

Sure but that will increase capacity by 50%...

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 24):

Sure but that will increase capacity by 50%...

+ new terminal up to 85 mill .

blast

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 21):
Nobody has mentioned AMS. I think it's the only major airport in Europe with 5 runways (actually 6 if you count a short one mainly used for general aviation). Plenty of room for growth.

AMS its growth is restricted by political decisions which are the result of environmental pressure and noise level limits.
In addition, the newest runway, the Polderbaan, only handles traffic coming in from the north and departing to the north; directly south of that runway is the town of Hoofddorp. I believe similar restrictions apply to some of the other runways.
So potentially and technically AMS can still grow, in reality however, growth remains largely a political issue.

Joost

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:19 pm

I agree on Blast that AMS is mainly capped by regulations. Currently, the cap is at 450.000 flights. Currently, there seems to be political agreement to grow up to 550.000.

Many of the runways can only be used in one direction. Next to that, the variety of winds requires a lot of landing possibilities. Currently, the airport is working actively in optimizing it's approaches, etc, in order to inrease usage. The development of a secondary airport is in the process: the runway at LEY will be extended to 2200m in order to handle low-cost and vacation traffic. However, this airport will also be capped (in the current draft agreements) to 60 daily flights.

I do think people forget about MAD. In 2005, it already wasn't far behind AMS. In 2006, they added T4 and 2 extra runways, allowing up to 120 movements an hour. They have attracted FR and U2 to form a base, IB is focussing on MAD by letting BCN to Clickair, Vueling is growing fast; I expect MAD to takeover the no. 4 in Europe position from AMS somewhere around 2009, 2010.

PanHAM

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:26 pm

you have to take into account that the 4th runway at FRA will be used for landings only

That is already taken into consideration. The 650K can easily be done even if the landing runway is time restricted between 6 am and 9 pm. What FRA needs is landing capacity. Officially, it will increase the hourly capacity to 120 from 82 at the moment. That is 208.050 per year based on 15 hours daily. Means, there is room left for growth.

Simultaneous landings can take place on the new NW and in te existing south runway with take offs on the 18 and the existing north runway.
powered by Eierlikör

paneuropean

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Blast (Reply 26):
AMS its growth is restricted by political decisions which are the result of environmental pressure and noise level limits.
In addition, the newest runway, the Polderbaan, only handles traffic coming in from the north and departing to the north; directly south of that runway is the town of Hoofddorp. I believe similar restrictions apply to some of the other runways.
So potentially and technically AMS can still grow, in reality however, growth remains largely a political issue.

True, besides the growth of AMS is very dependent on transfer traffic. Hopefully this success of Schiphol isn't it's weakest link, as O and D traffic at AMS is relatively poor.
The growth of AMS is also due to the AFKL success at the moment, which is directed at Paris.

The future Dutch government also has a lot to do with Schiphol's future. This is my biggest fear as they are non- liberal and have always been against AMS growing.

Nonetheless, the airport has great potential for future growth, considering it's own infrastructure. Still this has lots to do with the Netherlands' own infrastructure as I, living between Amsterdam and Dusseldorf, am faster in DUS is than in AMS, due to the Dutch highly congested highways.

I cannot predict AMS's position in a few years, but if the developments during recent years will continue, MAD and AMS and even FRA will probably remain as equal sized airports, far behind CDG and LHR.

vv701

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 13):
And where are airlines going to obtain more slots from?.

Are slots the only criteria? If so this would be impossible:

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 13):
Just look at aircraft movements...LHR is not Europe's Nº1 in that area.

Take the absurd example of LHR being slot restricted to 480,000 slots a year but each slot being operated by an A380 or equivalent with 500 passengers aboard. That would be 240 million passengers or 253 per cent growth on the current figure. Yes. Totally absurd. But it is illustrative as to why BAA are planning the new, very large Heathrow East complex once T5 is open and has become, with T3, Heathrow West.

lijnden

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:56 am

FRA and AMS are the two airports with most growth possibility but with the least political will. Passengers in transit prefer these airports over CDG and LHR but with many airliners from the Middle East, Russia and India now flying straight to North America growth is about to slow down. We even see B757's crossing the Atlantic now. (In AMS we used to see Alia, Tarom, Finnair, Kuwait, El Al and other airlines to/from North America.)
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:06 am

Germany as the first industrial nation in Europe will never have a Airport of the size of MAD or AMS , if it is not FRA it will be MUC

LH CEO Mayrhuber said that MUC will overtake FRA as biggest German Airport ,
just the politics have to realize this.

LHR is such a big Airport because of the english speaking , good connections , and former colonial world power also it´s the 3 nation in europe .

CDG is the airport of the 2 nation in europe and also was a colonial power.

but FRA
Is so important because of the connections Rhein Ruhr gebiet and Germany being the 1st industrial nation . As you all know Germany never was a big Colonial Might.
Also the geographic position of Germany is a + point .

So FRA has the potential to be the first or the second in europe but it depends of the Political will.

Alitalia744

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:22 am

Tell that to Atlanta.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

paneuropean

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 32):
Germany as the first industrial nation in Europe will never have a Airport of the size of MAD or AMS , if it is not FRA it will be MUC

So your point is that the size of Frankfurt has everything to do with the countries industrial volume? This is quite a black and white vision. Moreover this is a result of geological location and the position of the main carrier, along with the countries volume of the economy and.

Atlanta(Georgia) sure isn't he most booming town in America, but it sure has the busiest airport.

MAD and AMS handle just 6 mln. passengers less than FRA. They have come closer every year.
According to your prediction passenger flying in and through Germany, will be spread out more over MUC and FRA.instead of growing at one.

pelican

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting Paneuropean (Reply 34):
Moreover this is a result of geological location and the position of the main carrier, along with the countries volume of the economy

And the location in central-western Europe isn't bad at all. The main carrier is LH... The volume of the German Economy is by far the biggest in Europe. Therefore what is your point?

will be spread out more over MUC and FRA.instead of growing at one.

There you have a valid point. This will be probably the main reason that limits FRA . But then it's quite possible that MUC will overtake FRA.

pelican

PanHAM

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:23 am

Moreover this is a result of geological location and the position of the main carrier, along with the countries volume of the economy and.

As a matter of fact, FRA is idelly located in Europe. It is basically the geopgraphical center of Europe, after Bulgaria and Romania joined the EU Jan 1, the geographical center of the EU has shifted from a couple of miles west of FRA to about 50 km east of FRA. Frankfurt always had that place even in the medieval times when it was a cross road

Tell me a better location fora hub airport in Europe. MUC does not fare bad in that criteria either and LH is damn lucky it can grow there while slots are restricted in FRA. If politics doesnot get their act together, the ranking will shift and MUC will be the primary hub and FRA the secondary. The message by LH is clearyl out. But LH has got the taste to operate 2 hubs and they will keep that strategy and develope it.