Charliejag1
Topic Author

Body Found In DL Wheel Well

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:49 am

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/12/dead.stowaway/index.html

An apparent stowaway was foind dea in the wheel well of a Delta aircraft after arriving in Atlanta from Dakar, Senegal. More details to follow.

Per Delta.com flifo, it was flight 35, a 767-200.

[Edited 2007-01-12 18:56:02]

wjcandee

RE: Body Found In DL Wheel Well

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:05 am

Well...DL doesn't have any 767-200s anymore. It would be a 767-300 in a certain configuration, which DL's res system calls a 762.

The CBSNews story says that DL had notice of the stowaway during the flight, but decided it was too far into the flight to turn around or land. Presumably, the guy would be dead by then anyway from oxygen deprivation and hypothermia.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/12/national/main2355967.shtml

Charliejag1
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:34 am

Agreed, no reason to turn back, whats done is done unfortunately. Don't you think its odd that the delta webstie says 767-200 when it is actually a -300? I believe you, but it is kinda moronic, they should just change it.

movingtin

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting Charliejag1 (Reply 2):
Don't you think its odd that the delta webstie says 767-200 when it is actually a -300?

It designates a gulf air configured 767-300

Charliejag1
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:28 am

If its a 763, it should be labeled a 763.

DeltaGuy

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:30 am

But the Gulf Air birds are different enough to be designated something else. They need to be.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

flyorski

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Charliejag1 (Reply 4):
If its a 763, it should be labeled a 763

checkmark 
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

Charliejag1
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:34 am

If it is different, it makes sense to label it something different, but not something that it is not, like a 762. For instance, label it 767-300G.

Anyway, this really isnt an issue at all. I'm curious to know if it is possible to stow away in a wheel well of a 767 without being crushed. Obviously it is impossible to survive a flight of any notable length due to lack of oxygen and the temperature, but is there room in the wheel well?

You could always deflate a tire, hehe, even though that would be pretty dramatic and maybe violent.

badlydrawnboy

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:44 am

I doubt the stowaway cared if it was was -200 or -300....

bdb

Jerald01

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:50 am

Want to bet that more than a few of these stowaways who don't survive the flight are dead before the wheel well doors close up? How many of us could even THINK about standing:

(A) the sight/sound of the wheels rolling on the runway at 150+ miles per hour,
(B) the small bits of rock, dirt, water, etc., those same wheels kick up into the wheel well,
(C) the wind buffet that whips around inside the wheel well at, what, up to 175 - 180 MPH ?
(D) the sight of the landing gear apparatus as it begins to retract... and it is obviously going to crush whoever is in the wheel well?

Thanks, but I think I'd rather just pay the airfare and ride inside...
"There may be old pilots, and there may be bold pilots, but there are darn few green cows"

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting Jerald01 (Reply 9):
Thanks, but I think I'd rather just pay the airfare and ride inside...

Something tells me the people who are stowaway's can't afford the ticket. These are probably also people who would otherwise have no chance at acquiring a passport to leave their country. They aren't doing this to save money.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

SANFan

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:27 am

My thought on this subject is: we always hear of the stowaways that DON'T make it but do you suppose some DO survive such a journey and just go on their merry way when they land? I would think it almost impossible to survive a trip of any length but do we really know for sure?

...just thinking out loud...

bb

2travel2know

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:31 am

This has happened in West Africa a couple of times before, I remember reading about 2 teenagers which flew from Conakry to BRU and had written a letter if they were to be found dead upon arrival. The letter did make it to the news in Belgium.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

remcor

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:43 am

It is sad to think that some people have such a wretched, hopeless lives that they'd be willing to risk almost certain death to try to escape it. Yeah, sure you can call them stupid for trying it, but I'm sure they had some idea about the risks and decided to go for it anyway.

And this is despite whatever religion they are. You think Muslims don't go hungry as easily as Christians?

gh123

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:03 am

Well at least Law Enforcement didn't need to point a gun at him and say 'FREEZE!!'

He probably already was!

KATL757

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:15 am

From my local paper:

AJC.com (registration required to read article)

"Federal and state officials are investigating the death of a stowaway found in the wheel well of a Delta Air Lines flight from Dakar, Senegal.

The man was found dead between the plane's wheels, on the right side of the landing gear, according to Michele James, Port Director of Atlanta for Customs and Border Protection.

The man was found after Delta Flight 35 landed from Dakar at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport about 8:45 a.m., Delta spokeswoman Betsy Talton said. The flight had left Dakar more than nine hours before the body was found, she said.

The man, an unidentified black male, was not carrying any identification, but he was carrying a backpack with two pairs of jeans, two shirts and some photographs, James said. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has the body and is helping with the investigation, James said.

While cause of death in this case has not been determined, in most cases such stowaways die of exposure to cold weather and lack of oxygen because of the plane's high cruising altitude, James said.

"This is something that has happened on several airlines over the years, but it's uncommon," Delta's Talton explained.

Hartsfield's operations unit received a call when Flight 35 was about 10 minutes from landing asking them to standby on alert for a possible problem, airport spokeswoman Sterling Payne said.

While she could not say the nature of the problem in this case, most times those calls are related to concerns about landing gear, flaps or brakes, Payne said.

The plane landed and taxied to the gate without incident, Payne said.

Talton said federal, state and local law enforcement officials are working with Delta to investigate the incident.

Agents with Immigration and Customs Enforcement have contacted the Senegalese Embassy in Washington, D.C. to ask for assistance, James said.

Delta began its flights to Dakar a little more than a month ago as part of a move to open service to Johannesburg, South Africa, for the first time.

Delta previously had offered seats on South African Airways from Atlanta and New York through an alliance with that carrier, but the African airline ended the service last year.

Friday's flight originated in Johannesburg and investigators believe the stowaway entered the plane in Dakar.

Delta flights make fuel stops in Dakar, but also offer the city as a destination, which particularly draws African American tourists who want to visit the site of Goree Island, once a depot for slaves being sent to the Americas."
Wherever you go, there you are.......

ChicagoFlyer

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:06 am

Old stories like this
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/12/31/plane.death/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast...5/corpse.plane.wheel.ap/index.html
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-11-04-lax-naked_x.htm
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/10/1098609529.html

Oddly, when a body was discovered in a BA 747 at JFK (1st story), it was apparently already the second stop (the plane and the stowaway apparently came from Lagos, Nigeria to LHR).

Old a.net thread Travel In Style.......In The Wheel Well! (by A340pilot Sep 27 2003 in Civil Aviation)

LHStarAlliance

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 13):
My thought on this subject is: we always hear of the stowaways that DON'T make it but do you suppose some DO survive such a journey and just go on their merry way when they land? I would think it almost impossible to survive a trip of any length but do we really know for sure?

...just thinking out loud...

bb

I dubt it at 54 dergrees below cero it´s difficult to survive more than 1 hour ,imagine 8 or 9.
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

ChicagoFlyer

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:36 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 27):

I doubt it at 54 dergrees below cero it´s difficult to survive more than 1 hour, imagine 8 or 9.

Anyone has a copy of the paper referred to in this link?
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3207836

Auteur(s) / Author(s)
VERONNEAU S. J. H. ; MOHLER S. R. ; PENNYBAKER A. L. ; WILCOX B. C. ; SAHIAR F. ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
Civil Aeromedical Institute, Federal Aviation Administration, Oklahoma City, OK, ETATS-UNIS
Department of Community Health, Wright State University, School of Medicine, Dayton, OH, ETATS-UNIS
Résumé / Abstract
There have been 10 specific wheel-well passenger stowaway flights (the wheel-well area was entered just before take-off) documented in the N.Y. Times between 1947-1993. Five stowaways survived flights encompassing altitudes as high as 39,000 feet, with six dying in the process (one flight had two stowaways, one fatal, one surviving). Three Douglas DC-8 and four Boeing 707 aircraft, plus a Caravelle, an unknown jet, and a piston airliner were involved. Several of the wheel-well flight stowaways were reportedly politically motivated to attempt these international flights. This paper describes the unpressurized flight environment and the physiology that enabled human survival under conditions of extreme hypoxia and cold, inducing a virtual hibernative state. It is likely that similar attempts will continue, and alert airport security preventive measures are indicated.

ChicagoFlyer

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:42 am

To answer my own question--here's the paper on stowaway survival. Fascinating!

You can buy the download in so many places, but luckily our govt provides it for free...

mortkork

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting Charliejag1 (Reply 7):
You could always deflate a tire, hehe, even though that would be pretty dramatic and maybe violent.

Deflating a tire that is filled with nitrogen would only kill you faster

LHMark

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:03 am

I'm amazed they never fall out of the wheel well. I wonder why that is?
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

jasond

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 14):
Probably just one of millions desperate to escape a life of poverty. As mentioned above, there have been quite a few similar incidents over the years, probably 2 or 3 a year on average,

Absolutely, in fact this goes back as long as there have been wheel wells big enough to stowaway in.

durangomac

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:43 am

The Delta system identifies aircraft in several different ways. For instatnces, the CRJ-200 is labeled as -100. Don't ask me why but Delta has it's reasons.

bristolflyer

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:52 am

There have been a number of instance of bodies falling out of wheel wells in the UK when the aircraft is on approach and they extend the gear. Pretty grim really.
Fortune favours the brave

jumbojetla

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:11 am

hmmm why didnt the Quote show?? I thought I cut and pasted...I am newbie.. shows huh

jetjeanes

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:25 am

There have been stowaways over the years that have made it back from latin america,cuba, etc and survived but from what i recall they were primarley dc-8,s i dont know why..i guess there is more room. i imagine havana to mia was an easy route. Now ive never heard of some fool coming from africa in a wheel well.. Some times they go undetected for a couple flights...

Im just wondering has anyone ever heard of a body flipping out over a city on approach or on a runway..??? I would think the cops would find it very confuseing to find a frozen man from africa in my backyard.
i can see for 80 miles

777jaah

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:34 am

I can remember when a LH 747 from BOG landed in FRA a long time ago, had a guy tied with some rope to the landing gear. After some searching by german authorities, they found that he was bolivian, and he died between La Paz and BOG, went undetected all the way to Germany.

JAAH
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

jumbojetla

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:45 am

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 47):

Im just wondering has anyone ever heard of a body flipping out over a city on approach or on a runway..??? I would think the cops would find it very confuseing to find a frozen man from africa in my backyard.

HAHAHA movie Encino man comes to mind

I think if that actually occurred and from that elevation .. wouldnt be much left of the person.

NAV20

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:48 am

Quoting Floris (Reply 45):
If a stowaway can get in there, so can a terrorist,

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 46):
What happens if he was a suicide bomber, strapped with explosives?

It's interesting, but not surprising, how this sad tale of a penniless young stowaway is interpreted by so many on here in the context of 'terrorism.'

There is no evidence that aeroplanes are at any greater risk of 'terrorist' attack than all sorts of other targets. Indeed, all the evidence since 9/11 is that 'terrorists' (of whatever sort) have changed their targeting policy and now choose softer targets like nightclubs, trains, buses, railway stations etc.

9/11 took many years to organise and if the responsible agencies (FBI, CIA, airport security etc.) had been even half-awake at the time, it would have been prevented. Muhammad Atta and his colleagues left a trail a mile wide and it was inexcusable, IMO, that they were allowed to get as far as they did.

Airports and aeroplanes are relatively easy places to secure - so perhaps people should just stop mentally classifying everyone seen at an airport with a dark skin, and/or anyone of the Muslim faith, as a 'suspected terrorist'?

Frankly, there's no sense in that attitude. It's paranoia, pure and simple. You are safer from 'terrorist attack' - and. indeed, from death from any other cause - on an aeroplane than you are in virtually any other everyday situation.

[Edited 2007-01-13 01:55:53]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

soups

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:58 am

a similar story happened when 2 kids where found dead on GH DC10 upon arrival in LHR in december 2002 i think, it use to be common in Africa
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

gift4tbone

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:09 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 51):
Airports and aeroplanes are relatively easy places to secure - so perhaps people should just stop mentally classifying everyone seen at an airport with a dark skin, and/or anyone of the Muslim faith, as a 'suspected terrorist'?

I see your point, and what you trying to say. And I partially agree with you. BUT as I see your not from the US, Us american's look at things, especially flying differently since 9/11...is this a good change. Definatly not, but yes there it is. Most if not all american's when at the airport, and seeing someone of the muslim heritage, wonder, if just maybe, it's a terrorist. Is this right? No, but it's what is happened to the world. And I think it will be a long while before we all forget about this.

I don't agree with it at all, just so you understand, but it is inevitable.

As far as the comment on the terrorist comming in a plane wheel well, I for one, believe thats a genuine question. I could have been, it wasn't. BUT it could have been, and there would be one less 763 roaming the skies. So Yes I do agree something must be done, but at the same time, we should've say "US aircraft cant fly into that airport anymore" either.

Just my 2 cents....

This is life post 9/11, along with removing shoes, and long lines, so is the stereotype terrorist. But at the same time, we must remember Timothy Mcveigh (sp?)......

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

NAV20

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:18 am

Quoting Gift4tbone (Reply 53):
BUT as I see your not from the US, Us american's look at things, especially flying differently since 9/11...

I'm not all THAT insulated, Gift4tbone. I visit relatives and friends in the USA pretty frequently - who happen to live in NYC, DC, and LA. Indeed, I had a trip booked to those three cities a few weeks after 9/11.

You know what? I went ahead with it. I knew damn well, even on the limited evidence available immediately after the attack, that there was zero chance of anything like it happening again.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

gift4tbone

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:21 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 54):
You know what? I went ahead with it. I knew damn well, even on the limited evidence available immediately after the attack, that there was zero chance of anything like it happening again.

Good for you that is awesome, in fact It makes me happy to hear that! Too many people want the terrorist to control our lives, for instance my grandmother, (i know bad example), used to fly to FL every winter to see her sister, but has refused to go since 9/11, for...yup...you guessed it, terrorism.

She is letting the terrorist's win. So I am very glad to hear you kept your travel plans, I just wish more people would look at it the way you do.

I wasn't saying that I've changed the way I act post 9/11, but definatly the way I think.

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

geardown

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:25 am

One lucky guy who survived (and he was not from Africa):

Link

Charliejag1
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting Mortkork (Reply 31):
Deflating a tire that is filled with nitrogen would only kill you faster

I really meant the extra space would be nice. The nitrogen would certainly be a problem, but there are worse things. Nitrogen is the bulk of what we breate anyway, and I doubt the wheel well seals up seamlessly with no airflow/leakage . . .

ltbewr

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:43 am

Sadly, many airports in less developed countries have poor or virtually non-existant perimiter and airside security, including places like Dakar.
Many people are poorly educated about flying and the risks of smuggling themselves into the wheel well of an aircraft, but some are so despirate to escape their countries and are not terrorists, they will take take such an unimangable risk.
I believe I heard on a news report that when in this case the body was found, care was taken to make sure his bag didn't contain any explosive device.Of course, circumstances like this shows a huge hole in airliner security in such places.
I have suggested in other posts on these sad stowaways incidents that the airliners must take stronger precautions at high risk airports to reduce them. That may include posting guards, checking all approaching the a/c on the ground, better premiter security, aircraft crew or security checking hiding places, having security escorts when taxiing or just before take off,and perhaps some sensor system installs in possible hiding areas to see if any device or human there.

abrelosojos

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting Geardown (Reply 56):
One lucky guy who survived (and he was not from Africa):

Link

= Ok, now I am curious. I mean, if this was a national of Tahiti (as the article suggests), then the person was just stupid. I mean, as a French OT, Tahitians can enter U.S. without a visa. I mean, I'd flee French rule too (hehe) ... but this was just dumb. Perhaps my French friends can correct me and let me know if Tahitians dont hold French OT passports.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

SpeckSpot

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:25 pm

An obvious solution would be to retrofit wheel wells with motion detectors, infrared detectors and webcams or videocams. Solving it could be done for probably less than $1000 per aircraft. It is something worth preventing, and easy too. After all some cars have backing up cameras now.

[Edited 2007-01-13 04:32:58]

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:31 pm

The tail number looked like it might be 177DZ when I saw it on the news.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:35 pm

Here is an abstratct on a study done on this issue:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13750622
A/C Flown: 727,737,747,757,767,777,A319/320,MD-80,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,BAC-111,F-100,CRJ-200/700,EMB-135/140/145,SF-340

flydreamliner

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:30 pm

Maybe they can just spray down undercarriages with teflon so they are just really really hard to hold onto and climb up, lol. it seems as if it would be easy enough to rig up some kind of setup to alert the crew as to if someone has gotten in there.

what really scares me is if security is poor a guy can get inside the wheel well, someone could just as easily place a bomb there.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

Charliejag1
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting SpeckSpot (Reply 69):
An obvious solution would be to retrofit wheel wells with motion detectors, infrared detectors and webcams or videocams. Solving it could be done for probably less than $1000 per aircraft.

Good thought, but given the frequency with which this occurs and the fact that you can't do anything for less than $1000, I have no counbt that no system will be retrofitted to new aircraft. When you think about designing such a system, however simple it may be, multipying that by at least 3 (wheel wells), and getting the FAA on board, youre talking well over 1000 bucks a frame in my opinion. The best security system is a ramper looking into the wheel wells before push. Of course, in places like Dakar where security is less stringent, this may not be so simple. One of the articles said the stow was wearing a stolen airline uniform.

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 72):
Maybe they can just spray down undercarriages with teflon so they are just really really hard to hold onto and climb up, lol.

I would love to see that, haha, especially when the techs go to do a gear change and end up cussing up a storm, hahaha.

dc10tim

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:56 pm

People have survived as stowaways in the wheel well in the past. A few years ago, while waiting on the taxiway at DEL, a local boy climbed into the well of a BA 747 and was found at LHR wandering around near the aircraft disorientated.

Will try and find a link.

Tim.

Edit: Here's a link. Looks like they were going to deport him too.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...mi_qn4158/is_19970813/ai_n14120683

[Edited 2007-01-13 10:58:18]
Obviously missing something....

N747PA

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:43 pm

Logbook signoff and ship # here:

http://amfadelta.com/message/viewtopic.php?t=1624

mika

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:15 pm

I think that this is a really problematic issue, on the one hand you would want that (for example) that indian boy/guy got to stay in the UK after going through that ordeal, his brother ending up dead and everything. But then on the other side of the coin, if you reward anyone who pulls a stunt like this then cases like these will certainly increase. Especially if the press make it a sensationalistic story that someone actually survived and got asylum etc in the new country.

Tough topic.

trvyyz

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting Charliejag1 (Reply 73):
The best security system is a ramper looking into the wheel wells before push

Wrong. Wheel well should be checked just before clearing for take-off because at this point the a/c will be at the boundary of the airport and the tresspasser could (jump the fence or whatever) get into the wheel at that point.

This is a great security concern that needs to be addressed.Cameras(IR) in the wheel well could be a solution (may be).

[Edited 2007-01-13 15:43:20]

JetSet777

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:04 am

I'm still pretty confused as to how this could happen in any country. I mean Delta is Delta where ever you are. Is A/C security more lax in some countries? I'm a ramper at CAE and know there is no possible way anyone could get in a wheel well without someone noticing. Granted CAE isn't the biggest, most busy airport in the world, but I couldn't even imagine this happening at ATL or O'Hare.
Engines Turn Or People Swim

SpeckSpot

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:47 am

Here's one more idea: instead of a camera for each of the three wheel wells, use one camera near where a tail skid should be, and have it "see" all the three (or five) undercarriage bogeys. Ramper inspects the wheel wells and gives the pilot and all-clear, and at that time one person (maybe a pilot, or maybe a specially trained FA) should just monitor the bogeys on the camera until the take off roll begins. Once the plane has begun to roll, camera retracts for good aerodynamics, and the rest is normal. Should cost less than my earlier idea. But requires more constant monitoring.
Solves the possibility that the person hides in the wheel well when the aircraft stops at the end of the runway for takeoff clearance.

Admitted weakness is that in fog or very bad weather the cameras on the outside of the aircraft may not "see" well enough.

Bottom line is, there are things that can be done, that don't have to cost too much.

Charliejag1
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 62):
Wrong. Wheel well should be checked just before clearing for take-off because at this point the a/c will be at the boundary of the airport and the tresspasser could (jump the fence or whatever) get into the wheel at that point.

Ok Nostradamus, we will hire you to sit in a folding chair at the end of the runway and climb up in wheel wells to check for people. Remember to avoid the jet blast as well as the engine intake. We'll pay you minimum wage and oh yeah, no ear protection is provided. No doubt you will go home every night with a great sense of accomplishment.