Skyteam10001
Topic Author

Air Europa To Be Skyteam Associate In June 07

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:30 am

This is the first time I read concrete news on the ST associates programme in a long time.

According to Voyages d'Affaires magazine, a French magazine on business travel, Air Europa will become a ST associate member in June 2007. Alcino Ribeiro, head of the French offices for Air Europa, is quoted as saying that at that time, UX will give up its own FF programme to use Flying Blue.

I am assuming all the other airlines that are supposed to become associates (Copa, Tarom, Kenya Airlines) will get in at the same time though the article doesn't say.

For those of you in a AF lounge somewhere, pick up the magazine from a rack (most of the lounges have the magazines on the shelves) and have a look at page 10  Wink

A.

EddieDude

RE: Air Europa To Be Skyteam Associate In June 07

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks for the info. I have also seen the magazine you are talking about at the DL Business Class Crown Room in the ATL International Terminal, so probably it can be found at Crown Rooms too.

I am glad we finally have some info about this. I agree with you that the other associate members should be joining around the same time, although I would assume there could be delays if one or more of them is unable to switch frequent flyer programs on time. Tarom is adopting AZ' program while KY is adopting Flying Blue as well, right? CM already uses CO's OnePass.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

Coal

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting Skyteam10001 (Thread starter):
I am assuming all the other airlines that are supposed to become associates (Copa, Tarom, Kenya Airlines) will get in at the same time though the article doesn't say.

Does this mean that AeroRepublica will also be part of SkyTeam? Or will it be like the ugly ducklings LAN Argentina and LANEcuador in oneworld (even though that's about to change).

Cheers,
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

ForgotMyNick

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 1):
Or will it be like the ugly ducklings LAN Argentina and LANEcuador in oneworld (even though that's about to change).

What is about to change?

Coal

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting ForgotMyNick (Reply 3):
What is about to change?

LAN Argentina and LAN Ecuador will join ow.

Cheers,
Coal

ForgotMyNick

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:41 pm

Oh, ok ic. Thought you mean LAN group (ie. Chile) was *leaving* oneworld.
Argentina/Ecuador (isn't Peru as well?) depends just on LAN Chile completing their takeover business, some politics might be involved, i guess.

Coal

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting ForgotMyNick (Reply 5):
Oh, ok ic. Thought you mean LAN group (ie. Chile) was *leaving* oneworld.
Argentina/Ecuador (isn't Peru as well?) depends just on LAN Chile completing their takeover business, some politics might be involved, i guess.

AFAIK LAN Peru is a ow member through LAN itself. Same will be true of LAN Argentina and LAN Ecuador. But you're right, it's mostly politics.

Cheers
Coal

BA0242

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi guys... just one question regarding Air Europa and SkyTeam.

I have been flying MAD-ORY-MAD several times last November and December, and gave my AeroMexico Club Premier number when purchasing the tickets, but I am not sure about being able to accumulate kms with these flights, since UX is not SkyTeam yet, but they are AM partners...

Can anyone confirm if I will see some more kms in my Club Premier statement after these flights?

Thanks a lot.
Victor.
Favourite visitors at MEX: British Airways B747-400 and Japan Airlines B747-400.

Aisak

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 1):
KY is adopting Flying Blue as well, right?

KQ already uses Flying Blue because it previously used KLM Flying Dutchman.

Quoting BA0242 (Reply 7):
but I am not sure about being able to accumulate kms with these flights, since UX is not SkyTeam yet, but they are AM partners...

No you can't. Air Europa is not one of the Club Premier partners so you won't get miles.

People ussually over-rate the alliance thing. It's not "Aeromexico is part of SkyTeam so i can get miles with Skyteam". Try thinking of "AM, being part of Skyteam, has to grant miles into other airlines FF programs and these other airlines have to do so with Aeromexico Club Premier, under the agreements set one-to-one between Club Premier and these other airlines".

So for you to get miles with Air Europa, Air Europa and Club Premier must sign an agreement before or when joining.

mats

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:06 am

What does "associate member" mean?

I keep hoping for El Al to join SkyTeam, but there's little hope if Delta restarts JFK-Tel Aviv. That would make Israir the only non-SkyTeam carrier flying nonstop between the US and Israel.

One of the Indian carriers would also be a good addition, but I haven't heard any word about SkyTeam for any of them.

dz09

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:26 am

I am hoping that EK would change its mind and join an alliance preferably Sky Team.

Coal

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 8):
People ussually over-rate the alliance thing.

On *A you can get miles within all the members. I think ow is the same.

Cheers,
Coal

toxtethogrady

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:39 am

According to Voyages d'Affaires magazine, a French magazine on business travel, Air Europa will become a ST associate member in June 2007.

So will we get MAD-IAH out of this? With all the connections out of IAH to Latin America and the million-plus Hispanics in Houston, this should be a big market.

azstagecoach

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:32 am

How does Air Europa's C/J and Y compare with the other ST members? I have a hard time finding pictures of the J seat on their website, so I have my suspicions it is not up to the standards of CO, DL, AF, etc. Are they considered a discount airline in Spain?

emptyarm

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Azstagecoach (Reply 13):
How does Air Europa's C/J and Y compare with the other ST members? I have a hard time finding pictures of the J seat on their website, so I have my suspicions it is not up to the standards of CO, DL, AF, etc. Are they considered a discount airline in Spain?

No comparison, my friend...No J class, no free meals in flights up to 3 hours (this includes the loooooooooong and boring Iberian Peninsula-Canary Islands flights), and many other details to be improved.
On the other hand, their performance is much better than used and all those B737-800's are cool.
Discount airline? maybe,but if you think it twice, you get almost the same than in JK or IB, and the fares are usually cheaper.

Regards

2travel2know

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:57 am

If UX does become an associate SkyTeam member, maybe they'll be the ones taking over NM MAD-PTY service.
PTY is sort of a SkyTeam hub and CM does need some non-stop codeshare flights to Europe yesterday.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

connector4you

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:10 am

This is the first time I read concrete news on the ST associates programme in a long time

. . . yeah it seems that the process it's awful slow if not dead. First associate member airline entry into SkyTeam should have been taken place last year in June. Instead first entry - Air Europe - is now rumored for June this year. Something went wrong in there . . .

I am afraid that's not the case anymore. As far as I know Tarom already expressed their second thoughts on previously announced intention to join Sky Team partnership, announcing lately that it might consider a similar offer coming from Star Alliance !!!!!??

DALelite

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting DZ09 (Reply 10):
I am hoping that EK would change its mind and join an alliance preferably Sky Team.

I've been hoping this for years!! EK would be the jewel of Skyteam which somehow have become a third class alliance IMO.

let's hope: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

ForgotMyNick

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 15):
If UX does become an associate SkyTeam member, maybe they'll be the ones taking over NM MAD-PTY service.

Who knows...
Although for now, Spanish govt's preferred guys to take over routes left by Air Madrid are LTU. Read here: IB And LTU Interested In Taking Over NM's MAD-TLC! (by RootsAir Jan 13 2007 in Civil Aviation)

TGV

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting Azstagecoach (Reply 13):
I have a hard time finding pictures of the J seat on their website

Try here!  biggrin 

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Javier F. Bobadilla - Iberian Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Dario Crusafon - Iberian Spotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dario Crusafon - Iberian Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduardo Chalviski Viana - Brazilian spotter !

Avoid 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y ! They are real sardine cans. (AF/KL for example)

EddieDude

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:13 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 8):
No you can't. Air Europa is not one of the Club Premier partners so you won't get miles.

People ussually over-rate the alliance thing. It's not "Aeromexico is part of SkyTeam so i can get miles with Skyteam". Try thinking of "AM, being part of Skyteam, has to grant miles into other airlines FF programs and these other airlines have to do so with Aeromexico Club Premier, under the agreements set one-to-one between Club Premier and these other airlines".

So for you to get miles with Air Europa, Air Europa and Club Premier must sign an agreement before or when joining.

AM and UX codeshare on AM's MEX-MAD flights and on UX' MAD-CUN flights, and I was under the impression that you could accrue AM miles when flying UX' MAD-CUN. But true, you cannot earn AM miles when flying other UX routes.

Quoting Toxtethogrady (Reply 12):
So will we get MAD-IAH out of this? With all the connections out of IAH to Latin America and the million-plus Hispanics in Houston, this should be a big market.

I am sorry buddy, but I do not see how MAD-IAH could be interesting for UX. Could you please explain what your idea is?
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

toxtethogrady

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 20):
I am sorry buddy, but I do not see how MAD-IAH could be interesting for UX. Could you please explain what your idea is?

There's that big CO hub at IAH, with its connections to Latin America. It's enticing enough for the Koreans.

EddieDude

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:16 am

I see your point. Well, if UX decides to have a larger presence in Latin America, I am sure MAD-IAH would be one choice, given CO's coverage of Mexico. For a better coverage of the entire region, though, they could try flying to PTY from MAD, and codesharing with CM ex-PTY.

RobertS975

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:35 am

The main attraction of Air Europa in SkyTeam would be to allow onward travel from MAD and BCN DL and CO arrivals.

PDPsol

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting Toxtethogrady (Reply 12):
With all the connections out of IAH to Latin America and the million-plus Hispanics in Houston, this should be a big market.

What do the 'million-plus Hispanics in Houston' have to do with an IAH-MAD/BCN route? Why would Hispanics in the US travel to Spain? Other than CO adding one more European destination from IAH, does not appear to be any link...

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 22):
Well, if UX decides to have a larger presence in Latin America, I am sure MAD-IAH would be one choice, given CO's coverage of Mexico. For a better coverage of the entire region, though, they could try flying to PTY from MAD, and codesharing with CM ex-PTY.

This would seem to make A LOT more sense; UX flying MAD-PTY on CM-codeshare.