detroitflyer

Chances Of NW... DTW-PVG/PEK

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:48 am

Now that NW has lost the bid to united, what do yal think the chances are of them pulling the NRT- China service and doing it directly from detroit.???
Boiler Up!!!

PanAm747

RE: Chances Of NW... DTW-PVG/PEK

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:54 am

Not terribly likely.

NW does not have the aircraft to properly do DTW-China non-stop. It has been discussed that (a) the 747-400 is too much aircraft while the 330 doesn't have the range, and (b) NW might try again when the 787's are added to the fleet.

More discussion here:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eneral_aviation/read.main/3194158/
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

LAXdude1023

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:58 am

Not too much. NW likes having there NRT hub and thats probably will they will keep as opposed to dismantleing it for DTW. Not to mention that with a hub at NRT, they can serve the west coast, somthing that cant be done through DTW to asia from the west coast.
It is what it is...

777D

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:07 am

I realize that some consider NRT a hub and some a semi-hub, but if I was flying to mainland China, I would want to fly non-stop instead of making the stop in NRT. Are these inter-Asia routes becoming more archaic when many airlines are point to point?

Thank you

unitednrt

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting 777d (Reply 3):

God no, keep in mind that the hubs operated by United and Northwest cater to Asian traffic and the United States traffic base. These are very important footholds on the continent. NW and UA need these respective footholds as they are the core of the Asian operations for each.

quote=777d,reply=3]I would want to fly non-stop instead of making the stop in NRT[/quote]

Understandably so, but the Northwest Airlines passenger base living in Japan/China want a nonstop also between the Asian cities as well. NW and UA cater to two sets of passengers with these services.
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

detroitflyer

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:23 pm

i still dont understand why the japaneese government would allow american legacy carriers to operate hubs in their cities, shouldnt they be promoting higher usage of JAL, ANA????
Boiler Up!!!

centrair

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting Detroitflyer (Reply 5):
i still dont understand why the japaneese government would allow american legacy carriers to operate hubs in their cities

old story. You know that airline called Northwest Airlines? They basically helped build up post war passenger aviation. In return they got rights. Some of the first JL domestic flights in Japan were actually flown by NW pilots. The Original JL F/A facility had NW F/A as instructors. At least that is what I read someplace.

Also remember that not even 20 years ago flying from ORD-HKG would have been difficult to impossible without a tech stop. Japan became a major stopping point.

Japanese government doesn't have any control over NH or JL.

I think NW will need to think about a west coast to China route or wait and try to do DTW-China with a 787.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

AADC10

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting 777d (Reply 3):
I realize that some consider NRT a hub and some a semi-hub, but if I was flying to mainland China, I would want to fly non-stop instead of making the stop in NRT.

The value that NW gets out of NRT is that they can also take Japanese passengers from NRT to China, a market that is larger than any single city in the U.S. It has even more value since UA moved all of its mainland China flights to the U.S., reducing the competition.

airtran737

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting Detroitflyer (Reply 5):
i still dont understand why the japaneese government would allow american legacy carriers to operate hubs in their cities, shouldnt they be promoting higher usage of JAL, ANA????

Because Northwest has been serving Japan for longer than any other airline has. They as Centrair said literally helped establish aviation in Japan, and have been granted certain privileges for that.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever