FlyPNS1
Topic Author

Delta Latin America Expansion Continues

Tue Jul 18, 2000 6:31 am

Delta just received rights to Bogota beating out Continental who wanted rights to fly to Cali, Colombia. Looks like Delta is serious about expansion in Latin/South America. Where should/will Delta go next in the region? Any ideas/recommendations?

Peter

RE: Delta Latin America Expansion Continues

Tue Jul 18, 2000 6:37 am

Thats Great!  I think they also want to go to Buenos Aires and Montevideo. Also, on November 1, they are starting service with a 767-300 to Santiago, Chile.

Trvlr

Tue Jul 18, 2000 6:43 am

The service will be with a 757. Delta has just been granted tentative rights on the Colombia thing, though.

Aaron G.

goooooaaal

Wed Jul 19, 2000 5:48 am

What is the deal with Delta flights to Bogota? When do they plan to begin service; how many flights per day; what type aircraft? Thanks...

Peter

Wed Jul 19, 2000 6:22 am

I'm not sure exactly when they are starting, but it will be some time later this year. Also, the plane is a 757. I'm not sure, but I bet that its one flight per day, like Delta's other South American flights.

AFa340-300E

Wed Jul 19, 2000 8:58 am

Hello,

IMO, Delta Air Lines should first focus on their current Latin American routes, and work to make ATL the third largest gateway through dedicated commercial strategy (behind MIA and IAH).
Building a strong and profitable route structure with what they have first is important IMO.

However, keeping up with routes allowance is also important, as growth is quick and other carriers could prevent Delta Air Lines from reaching his goal if they take up the frequencies and establish in the market. I'm particularly thinking about United Airlines -which has hard times on the market-, as I'm pretty confident they'll try to get foothold again on this fast-growing market.

And, as long as they think it's profitable, request for all the proposed routes.

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

Peter

Wed Jul 19, 2000 12:34 pm

bacardi182

Wed Jul 19, 2000 1:16 pm

how will atlanta become the 3rd largest gatway to latin america? Doesn't JFK or even DFW have allot more flights?

nickofatlanta

Bacardi182

Wed Jul 19, 2000 9:25 pm

The "goal" if for ATL to be a true Latin American gateway. JFK currently has more flights and most probably always will. This is because so many Latin American airlines fly there themselves. No single airline has developed JFK into a Latin American hub for them (AA perhaps, but nowhere near to the extent of MIA.)

Remember DL's extensive operations to Mexico from ATL in cooperation with Aeromexico - increasingly DL-operated.

By the end of this year, DL will have nonstop service to the following countries from ATL:
Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, San Salvador, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Brazil and Chile.

That's not bad at all in my opinion considering they only started this build-up 2-3 yrs. ago.

DL also wants to start service to EZE, Argentina - that's the big fish and will be tough to get. Also, Montevideo via GRU; more routes to Brazil (from JFK to GRU and nonstops ATL to GIG); Quito and Guayaquil, Ecuador via BOG and La Paz, Bolivia via LIM.

These are not rumours, but came from the DL web-site - they had a map of their planned routes to Latin America. Can't find it on there anymore though.