mattnrsa

As Seen From The Tail Camera!

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:57 pm

Thought you all might be interested in what takeoffs and landings look like through a tail camera. Definitely the best part of the South African flight IAD-DKR-JNB and back was the tail-mounted camera giving you a very unique perspective on the flight. The video doesn't do the picture quality of the video screens justice, but the screens gave a very clear image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkgW9l1JFsY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwGysbm7cA

More of the videos can be seen at www.youtube.com. Just search mattnrsa or tail camera for more of them.

[Edited 2007-01-15 09:05:26]

memphis

RE: As Seen From The Tail Camera!

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:18 pm

hey man, that's pretty cool!  Smile
nocturnal

ThePalauan

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Great videos! Puts landing and taking off into a whole new perspective!! Wish all airliners had this feature.
You can take the boy out of the island, but not the island out of the boy!

ACDC8

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:25 pm

Pretty neat! They had a camera by the nose gear on my DE B767 flight from FRA-YVR last July. Kind of frustrating, because I didn't know if I should watch the video monitor or look outside the window ...  Silly

These types of camera's certainly do give different and most interesting perspectives for the traveller.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

PanHAM

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:36 pm

..........and switch off all electronic equipment (during take off and landing) until the fasten seat belt signs are switched off / we have reached our final parking position..................
powered by Eierlikör

LeonB1985

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):
..........and switch off all electronic equipment (during take off and landing) until the fasten seat belt signs are switched off / we have reached our final parking position..................

It seems these rules don't apply to a.net members!
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

BFS

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:36 am

I was thinking exactly the same thing! I love the way the some members are society are above the rules!

mattnrsa

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 5):
It seems these rules don't apply to a.net members!

Yes, and we should try to get an official exemption for photographers like Sam Chui! Some of the best photos on this site are from airplane windows! While my videos certainly don't rank up there in terms of quality, some were taken while sitting across from flight attendants in their jumpseats!

[Edited 2007-01-15 19:12:52]

Someone83

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:18 am

SAS has a nose-cam on their 330, 340 and 321 which is a great feature, and they use it all they way untill the aircraft is parked at gate

Don't know about any other than SAS and SAA that has these features though

S12PPL

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:19 am

That's awesome! I hope Boeing puts those cameras on the 787's, and new 748's! I've always thought Airbus did a cool thing when they allowed those cameras to be available for the pax to view, should the flight crew turn them on. Very cool indeed!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Francoflier

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:28 am

IB also has those on their 346s, it's pretty neat.

CX has them on the 346s too, but they use a belly mounted cam that's ahead of the Main gear, unfortunately, at least on the flights I took, they turned it off during the landing and T/O... But you could see the taxi and parking at the gate. It was fun.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

LHStarAlliance

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
Kind of frustrating, because I didn't know if I should watch the video monitor or look outside the window ...

I´ld have the same problem , it´s really frustrating ...  banghead 
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

BMIFlyer

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:50 am

Oh wow cool stuff Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

kaitak744

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:23 am

Does BA have cameras on its 777s?

LeonB1985

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 13):
Does BA have cameras on its 777s?

Nope, they don't unfortunately.
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

A320ajm

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:07 am

Can you imagine the panic if all the pax were watching a tail cam of their flight and something went wrong, like tyre burst or engine fire and they could see sparks or smoke!!
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

AlitaliaMD11

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:07 am

I really love flying the A340-600 with Iberia because the tail-camera is such an awesome feature! The only bad thing is that since it is on the over head LCDs it is not available for the entire flight or for your closer viewing.

I recently flew on an Air France 777-300ER which I believe had a nose camera but it was really out of focus so it wasn't that great to watch.
No Vueling No Party

FlyUSCG

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 5):

Quoting BFS (Reply 6):

Obviously you guys DON'T pay attention to the announcement. It says "turn off all PERSONAL electronic...". The aircraft is shielded against electronics that it was built with. In addition, even IF it was a problem, the cabin crew would turn off all IFE during required periods. So sorry to say guys, you got up on your high horses only to be wrong.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

DeC

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting BFS (Reply 6):

I was thinking exactly the same thing! I love the way the some members are society are above the rules!

Yeah, you never know when the mean camera will bring the plane down now, do you?....  Yeah sure
DEC

Jpax

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting FlyUSCG (Reply 17):
It says "turn off all PERSONAL electronic...". The aircraft is shielded against electronics that it was built with. In addition, even IF it was a problem, the cabin crew would turn off all IFE during required periods. So sorry to say guys, you got up on your high horses only to be wrong.

Same can be said to you. Anyone who watched the video can blatantly tell that this video is taken from a PERSONAL electronic device, and is not the direct image from the monitor.

You can dismount your horse, now.  Wink

Yellowstone

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 am

Obviously you guys DON'T pay attention to the announcement. It says "turn off all PERSONAL electronic...". The aircraft is shielded against electronics that it was built with. In addition, even IF it was a problem, the cabin crew would turn off all IFE during required periods. So sorry to say guys, you got up on your high horses only to be wrong.

I think they are talking about the fact that the guy was using a video camera.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

FlyDeltaJets87

They were refering to the fact that he was using a digital camera to take a video during takeoff and landing, not refering to the fact that he was watching the IFE. I'll be honest though and say I would do the same thing. I usually take videos of takeoff and landing out the window anyway. Neat to see it from a different perspective.

[Edited 2007-01-15 21:30:21]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

malaysia

Everytime I flew on a TG A340-500, none of the cams worked and they were always off in the IFE menu. It was a bit frustrating especially when I had to be in the middle of the plane with all shades down for 18 hours
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Someone83

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:34 am

Well using that argument should you also turn of you wrist watch.....

PanHAM

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:35 am

Quoting DeC (Reply 18):
Yeah, you never know when the mean camera will bring the plane down now, do you?.

No, I don't. I am not an electronics expert which means I can't tell if they are right or not. All i know is that electronic equipment must be switched off during take off and landing. Could be the guy used a hand crank camera.

t says "turn off all PERSONAL electronic...". The

of course it is PERSONAL electronic equipment. Have you ever been alllowed to the flight deck during take off or landing and switch off THEIR electronic equipment?
powered by Eierlikör

KFLLCFII

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:36 am

Quoting A320ajm (Reply 15):
Can you imagine the panic if all the pax were watching a tail cam of their flight and something went wrong, like tyre burst or engine fire and they could see sparks or smoke!!

Hence why they turned off the live satellite tv coverage on the jetBlue flight that had the crooked nosegear  Wink
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

FlyUSCG

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 21):
They were refering to the fact that he was using a digital camera to take a video during takeoff and landing, not refering to the fact that he was watching the IFE.

Well shit, then my bad and I apologize. It is still annoying however to see how quickly some people jump down others throat everytime they see someone breaking some little rule. Show me a digital camera/video camera/cell phone etc... that has brought down a plane and maybe I'll understand the arguments. So unless those of you who criticize those us who break the rules now and then have NEVER broken a rule in your life, you really have no room to talk.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

DeC

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 25):
Quoting DeC (Reply 18):
Yeah, you never know when the mean camera will bring the plane down now, do you?.

No, I don't. I am not an electronics expert which means I can't tell if they are right or not. All i know is that electronic equipment must be switched off during take off and landing. Could be the guy used a hand crank camera.

t says "turn off all PERSONAL electronic...". The

of course it is PERSONAL electronic equipment. Have you ever been alllowed to the flight deck during take off or landing and switch off THEIR electronic equipment?

I travel 6 times per year as i am student who lives abroad and almost in every flight there will be someone (at least) taking pictures or having his / her camera on during landing and take-off. Many times i've seen the crew spotting him / her but did nothing to stop that, and it happened under several airlines as well as i don't always travel back home with the same company. I guess if it was THAT serious, something would be done to prevent it. I, for one, could never understand that rule (save for the mobile phones, that's a wholly different issue) as the airplane itself Is FULL or electronics.

[Edited 2007-01-15 21:42:55]
DEC

awschucksflyer

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:43 am

Will Air Canada have this feature?

DeC

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting FlyUSCG (Reply 26):
Show me a digital camera/video camera/cell phone etc... that has brought down a plane and maybe I'll understand the arguments.

This one Big grin

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2HOyfFC6uOc
DEC

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting DeC (Reply 29):
Quoting FlyUSCG (Reply 26):
Show me a digital camera/video camera/cell phone etc... that has brought down a plane and maybe I'll understand the arguments.

This one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2HOyfFC6uOc

I'm more worried about the plane's own electronics causing a crash  wink 

VonRichtofen

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:48 am

Funny how people get upset over somebody using a camcorder sitting in Y but nobody says boo about film crews sitting right in the cockpit with much higher powered cameras to film things like JustPlanes DVD's or Discovery channel shows about aviation  Yeah sure

Kris

ACDC8

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 9):
I hope Boeing puts those cameras on the 787's, and new 748's! I've always thought Airbus did a cool thing when they allowed those cameras to be available for the pax to view, should the flight crew turn them on.

It's an airline option, it doesn't have anything to do with the aircraft being a Boeing or Airbus. Many Boeing's have this feature as well, such as B767's and B737's.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

jimbobjoe

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 23):
People on board AA191 watched the ground approaching at a high velocity right before they died courtesy of a similar camera.

That's interesting, I can't say I've heard that.

Nevertheless, that crash happened so flipping fast that I'd be surprised if the panic were any different with the camera or without.

Did Air France 358 have a camera? A tail camera on that flight would have shown a slow progression of things going wrong.

kaneporta1

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:58 am

That is one quiet plane, that's all I have to say.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

DeC

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting Jimbobjoe (Reply 33):
That's interesting, I can't say I've heard that.

Nevertheless, that crash happened so flipping fast that I'd be surprised if the panic were any different with the camera or without.

http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-aa191.shtml

In the cockpit and cabin, the takeoff roll seemed totally normal. The view from the cockpit was even being broadcast on the airliner's closed circuit television system for the passengers' enjoyment.

I too believe that in the tragically rapid roll of events, nobody was actually paying attention to the camera.

Btw, did you ever think how much trouble and effort some 'can't-be-easily-harmed' cameras in the cockpit would save into air crash investigations? Not to mention that i'd make the final reports and conclusions even more reliable.
DEC

md80fanatic

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:15 am

When they say "personal electronic devices", they mean devices that can transmit and recieve signals. Should people turn off their pacemakers and hearing aides for takeoff and landing, and like someone said above "their wristwatches"? For goodness sake, we need to get a little perspective when it comes to electronics and avionics.

esgg

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:18 am

The most interesting with this clip is it clearly shows how much the tail is moving. The ac´s structure is very flexible and not as rigid as one could believe.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting ESGG (Reply 37):
The most interesting with this clip is it clearly shows how much the tail is moving. The ac´s structure is very flexible and not as rigid as one could believe.

Huh? I think it's more related to the shaking of the digital camera that is being used to take the video, ie, the person holding it, not the tail moving side to side and up and down.

BFS

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:28 am

So sorry to say guys, you got up on your high horses only to be wrong.

I'm not on my high horse. I'm cabin crew and it just bugs me somewhat when passengers choose to ignore basic instructions. I was landing into AMS last week in very noticeable turbulence, and despite the fact that the cabin crew had been strapped in for some time already, the cabin had been secured and passengers had been advised that the washrooms were no longer in use, one passenger decided to get up and use the toilet. I instructed her to sit immediately, and she did, but less than a minute before the wheels were lowered.

We don't ask passengers to do things because we're killjoys, but because we have to and my comment merely reflected on the fact that we're so often ignored because everyone assumes they know better.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 36):
When they say "personal electronic devices", they mean devices that can transmit and recieve signals. Should people turn off their pacemakers and hearing aides for takeoff and landing, and like someone said above "their wristwatches"? For goodness sake, we need to get a little perspective when it comes to electronics and avionics.

It does not mean devices that transmit and receive signals. It means all electronic equipment, which is why we ask passengers to turn off their laptop computers and their phones which may even be in "flight mode". The safely announcement explains that devices that transmit and receive signals must not be used at all, and others may be used when the seatbelt sign is off. Not at critical stages of flight.

Having said all that, I will say that I very much enjoyed those videos  Smile

isitsafenow

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting BFS (Reply 6):
was thinking exactly the same thing! I love the way the some members are society are above the rules!

If the rules would have been adhered to, we would have never seen those
unusual but good videos. Every now and then you gotta say what the hey!!
Thanks for sharing the videos.....
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

dc10srule

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:57 am

That was an awesome video - now if UA could combine live ATC on the headset with a forward video view - that would be magic!!!

As far as the other issue that has been raised from this video, I strongly agree with one of my fellow members:

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 31):
Funny how people get upset over somebody using a camcorder sitting in Y but nobody says boo about film crews sitting right in the cockpit with much higher powered cameras to film things like JustPlanes DVD's or Discovery channel shows about aviation

Very rational argument VonRichtofen!

I routinely videotape or photograph takeoffs and landings and other ramp traffic and I hate being made to feel like I'm putting everyone (including ME) in some ridiculous jeopardy. Honestly, this issue needs some real investigation so it can be put to rest once and for all. I certainly feel for the crew members who have to enforce such rules - I know you are simply doing your job!!

A while back, wasn't there an FAA or NTSB sponsored test to see just how much interference was caused by operation of "Personal Electronics" onboard an aircraft? Anybody heard of OR remember such an event??

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!!

twocents 
Giggity-Giggity..!

lostturttle

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting DeC (Reply 27):
I travel 6 times per year as i am student who lives abroad and almost in every flight there will be someone (at least) taking pictures or having his / her camera on during landing and take-off. Many times i've seen the crew spotting him / her but did nothing to stop that, and it happened under several airlines as well as i don't always travel back home with the same company. I guess if it was THAT serious, something would be done to prevent it. I, for one, could never understand that rule (save for the mobile phones, that's a wholly different issue) as the airplane itself Is FULL or electronics.

Some more reasons are not all portable electronic devices are the same and their is no way to approve one over another, thus the rule "turn them all off"

Also sudden movements could cause the camera and other items to become flying projectiles. Now how about babies in the lap and other loose items in the cabin?

Another one is with your head phones or earbuds on you can not hear any announcements that might occur during an emergency.

That said, I also shoot takeoff's and landing's sometimes as well. (The ex photo journalist in me)

B707Stu

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:37 am

When I flew IB 346 on 12/20 from JFK-MAD (IB6253) the late flight take-off was spectacular on the screen. I wish all aircraft had the tail camera and I wish they'd leave them on. It was only on for immediately before take-off, take-off, immediately before landing, landing and taxing to the gate. Really made those moments exciting and a little weird watching the aircraft you were sitting in.

ordryan28

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting Mattnrsa (Thread starter):
Mattnrsa

Great video! I wonder what the takeoff would look like if you were on the tail (instead of the camera). Any volunteers?!

-Ryan
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

Vasu

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:47 am

So, what airlines out there offer the service?

Excellent videos!

PipoA380

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 30):
I'm more worried about the plane's own electronics causing a crash wink

I guess the simley's here for something, but AF296 did not crash because of a plane malfunction, but because of flight crew error: "Failure of the Captain to maintain sufficient altitude and airspeed for recovery after a low approach to a runway with obstacles near the departure end"
Source: http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...6261988®=F-GFKC&airline=Air+France

Quoting Mattnrsa (Thread starter):
South African flight IAD-DKR-JNB

I was checking on the South African website, and I couldn't find that flight. Do they fly that route? I can only find JFK-DKR-JNB. Thanks!

Oh and here's a cool pic of the tail camera:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ariel Shocron

[Edited 2007-01-15 23:52:07]
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

Leezyjet

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting DeC (Reply 27):
I, for one, could never understand that rule (save for the mobile phones, that's a wholly different issue) as the airplane itself Is FULL or electronics.

It isn't because non transmitting electronics intefere witht the electronics, it is because the camera's and other electronic devices could become projectiles in the event of an incident occuring, also they distract people's attention incase an evacuation is required in the event of an accident.

When I'm using my camera on t/o and landing, I'm still fully aware of what is going on around me and have all the straps fastened securely so the camera shouldn't become detatched (if it ever did them that is the least of out worries). I have also been allowed to use it on f/deck jumseat rides a few times before too. The interference with electronics is a load of bolleaux as someone pointed out with regards to film crews filming in the f/deck.

I also feel that if someone is filming the t/o or landing and something does go wrong then the video evidence would be very useful to the investigators.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

YHMYYZspotter

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:46 am

Interesting that as soon as the gear is raised you can hear the cabin chime.

And there is another post going on right now about that same topic.
A Single Beeping Noise After Takeoff (by Aircanada014 Jan 14 2007 in Civil Aviation)

AlitaliaMD11

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting PipoA380 (Reply 46):
I was checking on the South African website, and I couldn't find that flight. Do they fly that route? I can only find JFK-DKR-JNB. Thanks!

JNB-IAD is scheduled now as a direct flight without the stop in DKR. Come April JNB-JFK will be nonstop as well.

[Edited 2007-01-16 00:53:32]
No Vueling No Party