Topic Author

No Airbus Allowed

Tue Jul 18, 2000 7:37 am

I fly USAirways often out of MSP and I couldn't help but notice there were no US airbuses at MSP. Well I was walking down the jetway (they only have one gate) and right at the control panel there was a sticker just like a no smoking sign but instead of a cigarette there was AIRBUS written in the middle. I noticed that 2 years ago. I was just at the airport 5 days ago and low and behold there was an airbus at a white plywood makeshift gate. Why did USAirways have to have another gate to accomadate their Airbus's? Even though they now have two gates, there is only enough room for one plane!

RE: No Airbus Allowed

Tue Jul 18, 2000 10:07 am

Is this a gate that was only ever designed to handle a 737/DC-9/MD-80. The A320 sits higher off the ground than the above, and has different dimensions and access points meaning it may just not fit the gate.

When Sabena introduced their A319/320/321s they had to modify their procedures (but luckily not their gates) because they had problems like the fuel points on the tarmac no longer linedup with the wings when an Airbus was parked.

There are often restrictions on use of gates. Southwest gates were only designed to handle 737-2/3/500s, the 737NG has larger wings and at some stations they can only handle a few at a time. Also, it depends on what is parked on the next stands, for example a gate may be able to accomodate an A320 if a 737 is at the next gate, but not if a 757 is parked alongside etc...

Another possibility is that the gate just hasn't been approved yet for use with the A320. To use a gate with a new type you need new stop markings painting on the apron and the docking guidance system may need to be modified.

Tue Jul 18, 2000 10:42 am

Maybe it is just a smart airport and they don't want any airbuses around heheheheheheh just kidding......
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Tue Jul 18, 2000 11:21 am

Slawko- considering that NW has dozens of A319s/320s at MSP at any given time, I'd say the answer to your theory is a definite no.  

Tue Jul 18, 2000 11:29 am

In Christchurch, NZ, the only airbus that comes in Regularly is an A340 from Singapore, all the rest are boeing planes!! You'd think that as far as access points for fuel etc go, there would be a standard for similar size aircraft, eg B737 and A320s as far as that goes!! Similar to the airport standard 80m 'box' for jets to park in!!