ATL Traveller
Topic Author

Delta Non-hub Connections

Tue Jul 18, 2000 9:28 am

I was looking for a morning flight ATL-SLC for October 27th on Delta. On the Delta web site I entered in the two cities and chose the "morning flights" selection. Of course the non-stops betweent the two hubs showed first, but there were also connecting flights. Dallas or Cincinnati would be expected, but these connections were in places such as Kansas City, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Is this common?

RE: Delta Non-hub Connections

Tue Jul 18, 2000 9:31 am

it is a very common thing. they are direct flights. we have a flight that goes ATL, BHM, JAN, DFW.

Tue Jul 18, 2000 9:38 am

DL has a handul of mini-hubs or to adopt the TWA lingo "focus cities." LAS is a very good example; LAX, BOS, MCO, PDX and even LGA are others.

However, back to your example, obviously, when you plug in two hubs of a given airline, there are going to be endless possible connections; I mean think how many cities DL flies to from both ATL and SLC. You could theoretically make in all of them. Not too practical given the amount of nonstops between them. UNLESS of course you're after segments for Medallion status or extra miles!!

Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:10 pm

A non-hub connection that is an actual routing is LAS-MSY-MCO. The 767 flight departs LAS at 2am, and you connect with a Comair CRJ to MCO. That's a nice one!