Glom
Topic Author

Who Has Built Their Own Aircraft?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:47 pm

What kind of aircraft could the average joe build? Could their be variable pitch prop? Glass cockpit? Retractable undercarriage?

How doees one go about building one?

airfoilsguy

RE: Who Has Built Their Own Aircraft?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:23 am

There are many kits out there. From what I hear you just follow instructions and bolt piece a to piece b and repeat that about 10,000 times. Didn't John Denver build his own plane and then subsequently crash it?

Here is a good site.

http://www.homebuilt.org/

[Edited 2007-01-16 17:24:52]
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

GLAGAZ

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:35 am

Currently building a "hummel" aircraft in college just now. Hoping to have it finished by the end of the term.

Here is a website about the hummel:

http://www.flyhummel.com/

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

SEPilot

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
Didn't John Denver build his own plane and then subsequently crash it?

No, he bought the aircraft from the builder and then crashed it. There used to be a magazine "Kitplanes" that I subscribed to for a while; I did consider building my own plane (being an engineer & mechanic.) I read an article that said, in essence, that if you want to build a plane, then build a plane. If you want to fly, then buy a plane. I wanted to fly more that build, so I bought a plane (a Cessna 182). I did overhaul the engine myself and install a custom instrument panel, though. But if you want to build a plane you can build just about anything you want. Both the Lancair and Cirrus, which are now certified, started as kit planes, and I believe you can still buy kits for both of them.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler