leelaw

Singapore Airlines Raises The Bar For Luxury

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:42 pm

"Singapore Airlines Raises The bar For Luxury Flying"

Quote:
SINGAPORE -- It was the next best thing to a flying hotel at 35,000 feet -- for those who could afford such pampering.

"This is the Orient Express of the skies," said business executive Peter Smith as he relaxed in his light tan and acorn leather, 35-inch-wide, first-class seat.

On the mahogany wood table in front of him, a recently released Hollywood movie was playing on a sleek 23-inch LCD monitor. His luggage was stored under the seat's ottoman.

Later, Smith changed into a special "sleep suit" designed by fashion house Givenchy as a flight attendant in her sarong kebaya uniform turned down his big leather chair for sleeping. Bedding also by Givenchy.

Smith knows a thing or two about traveling in style. He's ridden on the famous Orient Express trains that are known for their exclusive first-class service...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/300154_boeingsingapore18.html

Lex Ancilla Justitiae

OA260

RE: Singapore Airlines Raises The Bar For Luxury

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:51 pm

Another aviation first !! And of course SQ are the launch customers of these new cabins. Well done SQ . I would love to see some real photos though.

SNATH

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:33 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
I would love to see some real photos though.

At http://www.myaviation.net there's a bunch of interior photos from SQ's new B773ER. Do a quick search... and enjoy! For even quicker results, also look at the "top of XXX" links too.

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

xtra1

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:39 pm

If interested; check my trip reports on this new SQ FC cabin, SIN-HKG. New SQ FC, SIN-HKG,777-300ER(photos) (by Xtra1 Dec 21 2006 in Trip Reports)
also NewSQFC HKG-SIN, SQ BC SIN-CPT, SAA FC CPT-LHR (by Xtra1 Jan 13 2007 in Trip Reports)

zvezda

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:40 pm

Interesting to note that a couple of passengers were flying SFO-ICN-SIN-SYD on SQ rather than SFO-SYD nonstop on UA or QF.

jacobin777

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 4):
Interesting to note that a couple of passengers were flying SFO-ICN-SIN-SYD on SQ rather than SFO-SYD nonstop on UA or QF.

Talk about going out of the way to get to a destination....
"Up the Irons!"

OA260

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks guys for both links !!!! Brilliant

JAL

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:02 am

One word: WOW!
Work Hard But Play Harder

ag92

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 am

Just a question?

Isnt this a couple of months old now?

Regards

WN230

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 5):
Quoting Zvezda (Reply 4):

Talk about going out of the way to get to a destination....

I wouldn't mind doing a series of flights like that.  Wink

WN230
Judas Priest North American tour in '08 . . . cannot wait!!!

zvezda

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 am

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 8):
Isnt this a couple of months old now?

The first flight was 5 November 2006. I was at SIN to see some friends off on the that flight.

Aviator27

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:13 am

Have they thrown any bones to the rest of us poor folks who have to fly in the back? I do have to say SQ just raised the bar another notch. Its too bad their A380 is delayed. Any company wanting to compete with SQ will have to step up. At 35 inches wide, those are twice as wide as the "standard" Boeing coach seats of 17.2 inches. No way I will fly 14 hours in a B787 in coach with 17.2 seats. I hope all airlines who ordered the B787 opt for 8 abreast. Kudos to SQ for a job well done.

jacobin777

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting WN230 (Reply 9):
I wouldn't mind doing a series of flights like that.  Wink

I still wouldn't want to go that far out of the way... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

Pieinthesky

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 10):
The first flight was 5 November 2006

A month early there, first flight was December.

Quoting SNATH (Reply 2):
At http://www.myaviation.net there's a bunch of interior photos from SQ's new B773ER. Do a quick search... and enjoy!

I presume you are referring to the ones a Mr Brian Espreza stole from the numerous Trip Reports including the inaugural from www.sqtalk.com ?.

zvezda

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting Aviator27 (Reply 11):
Have they thrown any bones to the rest of us poor folks who have to fly in the back?

Y has inseat power sockets and great IFE.

Quoting Pieinthesky (Reply 13):
A month early there, first flight was December.

You're right. I'm flying too much.

anax

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:45 am

well i guess we didn't expect something less from SQ , did we?
god is a spotter!!!

sstsomeday

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Looks like the 1st class seats are completely different from the sleeper seats. Where are the "Sleeper Suites" - above the main cabin? Does everyone in First get one? Or is there an addtional charge?
I come in peace

FlyEmirates

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:44 pm

Absolutely stunning makes EK look like charter

SNATH

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Quoting Pieinthesky (Reply 13):
I presume you are referring to the ones a Mr Brian Espreza stole from the numerous Trip Reports including the inaugural from www.sqtalk.com ?.

Well, I apologize for being unable to know the source and copyright validity of each picture in ma.net. If this is indeed the case, then I assume this should have been communicated to the ma.net crew by now.

Tony

antares

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:15 pm

SNATH,

That's reasonable. What wasn't reasonable was the lack of concern on this forum about the outright theft of another photographer's images. With all the pious breast beating about ethics, public and political and media ignorance of all things aviation, one would be tempted to think hypocrisy was afoot.

Incidentally I did go to MyAviation as you recommended. For a second I thought I was back on Airliners.net but it is just a rip off of this forum's framework.

And after declining my prize of 16 computers and offers to validate being the one millionth visitor to the site by just infesting my hard drive with spyware and handing over my credit card details purely for validation purposes of course, and listening to funny voices I realised I had stumbled on a version of this site designed for the under 9 age bracket.

What a load of cobblers it is. Airliners.net does have the odd lapse in taste when it comes to gratuitously insulting or purile flashing light adverts, but MyAviation was a whole year's worth of aggravation in a single visit.

No thanks

Antares

jacobin777

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting Antares (Reply 20):
Incidentally I did go to MyAviation as you recommended. For a second I thought I was back on Airliners.net but it is just a rip off of this forum's framework.

Antares..just to let you know, Airliners.net and myaviation.net are under one umbrella..like SQ and JQ... Smile

regardless, it doesn't give one the right to steal other people's work..

personally, the more people who use my images, the happier I am...(as long as they don't make any money out of it)...

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Jacobin777
MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Jacobin777

Cheers...
"Up the Irons!"

antares

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:44 pm

Jacobin,

So thaaats why they looked the same!

I think I'll have mistress Emily tuck me in for the night before I blunder into any other items of furniture.

Antares

jacobin777

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting Antares (Reply 22):
Jacobin,

So thaaats why they looked the same!

I think I'll have mistress Emily tuck me in for the night before I blunder into any other items of furniture.

Antares

Antares...I meant QF and JQ, obviously not SQ and JQ.. Smile

....yes, when one uploads photos here, one has a choice between airliners.net and/or myaviation.net....

Airliners.net has a more stringent photo "acceptance" policy......so I tend to post on myaviation.net...also, I feel my photographs still are not "unique" enough to warrant uploads to airliners.net..

Hope that helps... Smile

Cheers...
"Up the Irons!"

SNATH

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:50 pm

What wasn't reasonable was the lack of concern on this forum about the outright theft of another photographer's images. With all the pious breast beating about ethics, public and political and media ignorance of all things aviation, one would be tempted to think hypocrisy was afoot.

Seriously, are we sure that the guy in question had "stolen" the pictures from the trip reports? Or he's just hosting his pictures on ma.net?

To expand on what Jacobin777 said, look at the Welcome Note at the bottom of the main page, as well as their FAQ:

http://www.myaviation.net/info/faq.php

No thanks

Do read any trip reports on a.net? If you do, it's very likely that the pictures included are actually hosted on ma.net. All the pictures on my trip reports are. There's even a shortcut on how to include ma.net pictures on the a.net forums too, as Jacobin777 demonstrated.

Bash ma.net all you want, it's actually a good resource for general aviation-related image hosting. But let's move somewhere else if we carry this on, as we should not take over this thread with the ma.net-related discussion.

Tony

BoomBoom

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting SSTsomeday (Reply 17):
Looks like the 1st class seats are completely different from the sleeper seats. Where are the "Sleeper Suites" - above the main cabin? Does everyone in First get one? Or is there an addtional charge?

No, the first class seats turn into a bed.

Quote:
On the 777-300ER flight, first-class passengersare treated to turn-down bed service before going to sleep. Here, flight attendants prepare one of the eight first-class seats for sleeping.
(January 17, 2007)

James Wallace/Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

antares

Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:53 am

Jacobin,

Actually when I saw SQ bracketed with JQ I assumed you were sharing exciting inside knowledge of the downstream outcomes of the LBD (leveraged buyout destruction) of Qantas.

The trophy for prediction of the year would have yours.

But seriously, previously unthinkable consequences could follow from the deal, if it goes through, and I have absolutely no doubt that the Singaporeans expect to see opportunities and advantages for them created by the Qantas situation, which will not be all that good if the deal goes ahead or falls in a heap.

Like everyone else, I've been reading and rereading everything Qantas management has said since this came out. There is no doubt in my mind the group has less than a decade to avoid going down the tube by massively changing its internal processes...not necessarily product...and while I do not have any of these articles at hand it would be interesting to take a marker pen to editorials by those who have until recently just trotted out bland assertions about Qantas being incredibly profitable and automatically going on to better things and circle those words where they now betray doubt, and even predict failure without a major change taking place.

The stupidity of not structuring Qantas in a manner where its stock could be freely traded to foreign investors is going to slam home to the government like a truck into a concrete wall in coming months.

Antares

Joni

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:20 am

Somehow this doesn't look equal to Qatar's A345 suites, or am I missing something? This looks more like SQ's old First, or Cathay's or BA's current one.

Pieinthesky

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting SNATH (Reply 23):
Seriously, are we sure that the guy in question had "stolen" the pictures from the trip reports? Or he's just hosting his pictures on ma.net?

May I suggest you read pages 3 and 4 of this Trip Report on SQTalk:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544&page=3

They were stolen, end of.