DeC

Two Men Survive Plane Belly Landing (VIDEO)

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:55 am

A twin-engine plane made a belly landing at Arlington Municipal Airport, Texas, late today after apparently having landing gear problems. Both men on board quickly slipped out of the plane. (...)

More, along with the video, at:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4819d4f73d
DEC

as739x

RE: Two Men Survive Plane Belly Landing (VIDEO)

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:19 am

Excellent landing and great piloting.

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

DeC

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:22 am

Indeed. Did you see the firemen shaking hands with them after they exit the plane?  Wink
DEC

stillageek

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:24 am

I am a Instrument pilot working on my Commercial at GKY. The flight school that owns the plane is one of the more "questionable" schools at the airport. This is not their first gear up landing. The planes have had engine failures in the pattern and are known for leaving the gear down while doing pattern work. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's odd. As though they don't have faith in the plane? I train in a Piper Seminole and while doing pattern work we went thru full checklist. My wife called me yesterday and told me about this incident. I rushed to the airport to watch. He did an awesome job. As a footnote it was the students first time in the plane. Notice at the end he forgot an item that is on my checklist which is to shut off the power after landing.

[Edited 2007-01-21 01:25:27]

DeC

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:27 am

Ah, really? Awesome work. So this is why he rushed back to the plane just as he got out of it..! Isn't that too dangerous though? I generally noticed that everyone remained very close to the aircraft just after the belly one, wasn't there a risk of late-ignited fire or something?
DEC

Blackbird1331

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:04 am

Another rush-to-judgement. He landed and did a good job as we see it as a crash landing. If he screwed up, that should be for the NTSB and the FAA to decide.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

MCOflyer

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 5):

Agreed.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

OPNLguy

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:17 am

I watched this live on KXAS Channel 5 yesterday, and the running commentary from their helicopter pilot Ken Arnold was refreshingly no nonsense and accurate in its descriptions of what was happening and why.

The only painful thing was listening to the two anchors taking turns asking some dumb questions as they sought to fill :45 of airtime awaiting the actual landing.

Quoting DeC (Reply 4):
So this is why he rushed back to the plane just as he got out of it..! Isn't that too dangerous though?

He apparently forgot to cut the power off before he egressed. It might have been a brief calculated risk to hop back in long enough to cut the switches, but doing so reduced overall risk by not having an active electrical system as a potential ignition source in case there was an actual fuel leak.

The pilot said during a later interview on WFAA Channel 8 that he didn't want to stay airborne another 2-3 hours to burn off fuel since that would have had them landing after dark, which he didn't want to do under the circumstances.

Sounds like sound decisionmaking all the way around....

[Edited 2007-01-21 02:27:13]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

BMIFlyer

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:36 am

Wow cool stuff, lucky guys  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

BatonOps

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:55 am

Fantastic landing.  Smile

ThePinnacleKid

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:29 pm

Stillageek is correct guys... this isn't a rush to judgement.. He knows first hand as do I... This flight school in question is itself VERY questionable. I trained at Arlington and then instructed at Arlington and I can't count the number of times they have had issues with their aircraft. Furthermore, it used to be an ongoing joke at the fact they would often land with a dead engine, taxi off, and mx would have to come out and tow the plane back to their ramp... I'm shocked that (A) they haven't been shut down or investigated and (B) they haven't had something more severe with much worse outcome for the pilots.... While this instructor I'm confident really is a good pilot... and he did a great job... he should get hazardous duty pay for flying those things....

On a side note, Arlington, up until recently (Sept. '06) was an uncontrolled field and these guys were always jerks in the pattern... They tried to cut everyone off, made horrible radio calls when they did make them... their radios are always in bad shape and are almost impossible to make out when they do try to use them... its just bad...

Hey DB! How's stuff goin at the place? Like all the new instructors there now? I keep in touch with SJ when I can... hear he likes it over at pinnacle... i'm lovin' the XJT... hope all is well and you're doin' alright... safe flyin! Tell everyone I say hi!

CH
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

legacy135

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:40 pm

Quoting DeC (Reply 4):
Ah, really? Awesome work. So this is why he rushed back to the plane just as he got out of it..! Isn't that too dangerous though? I generally noticed that everyone remained very close to the aircraft just after the belly one, wasn't there a risk of late-ignited fire or something?

Do it better first! The guys landed the plane safely, with minor damage. Not even the propellers seem to be damaged. This landing is well done, having the beacon (and with this the master) still on is something many other great pilots forgot already as well.
Did you never forget to turn of the lights in your home or on your car?

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

DeC

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:19 pm

I didn't say they didn't land the plane perfectly, the contrary! They did an amazing job for sure. What i was wondering about is that they stayed very close to the aircraft after they got out, wasn't there a danger of a fire or something, even if it wasn't ignited initially?
DEC

pilotaydin

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting DeC (Reply 12):
didn't say they didn't land the plane perfectly, the contrary! They did an amazing job for sure. What i was wondering about is that they stayed very close to the aircraft after they got out, wasn't there a danger of a fire or something, even if it wasn't ignited initially?

you guys are making a mistake...this person is asking a question, which means he is trying to learn something from others and possibly just get a discussion going, this isn't the same as the arm chair experts who TELL us what something is...

everyone needs to be more detailed when they read and write stuff
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

DeC

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 13):
you guys are making a mistake...this person is asking a question, which means he is trying to learn something from others and possibly just get a discussion going, this isn't the same as the arm chair experts who TELL us what something is...

everyone needs to be more detailed when they read and write stuff

Yeah, thanks a lot my friend 'cause nowadays it seems than even more and more people are switching to the 'attack' mode before reading, thinking or trying to understand first.
DEC

swaopsusafatc

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting DeC (Reply 14):
Yeah, thanks a lot my friend 'cause nowadays it seems than even more and more people are switching to the 'attack' mode before reading, thinking or trying to understand first

That's because most people on hear think they can do it better faster and more thorough then the next guy, even if they only fly MSFS.

To those: Until you have been there don't criticize others. It is getting really old.

SkyexRamper

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:56 am

Well that pilot needs to learn a few rules of thumb when doing an emgerency landing. Turn off everything quickly, then get out of the airplane and stay away! Big grin  Wink
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

zanl188

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 16):
Well that pilot needs to learn a few rules of thumb when doing an emgerency landing. Turn off everything quickly, then get out of the airplane and stay away!

Yeah the emerg. procedures could probably use some work.

I can't argue with the outcome however.....

I wonder if the attach point for the step (it's holding up the rear fuselage) will need some sheet metal work.....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

53Sqdn

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:10 am

There was a similar incident recently in the USA. A video link was supplied. I've lost the link. Can anyone help with the link. Thanks.

airtran737

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 16):
Well that pilot needs to learn a few rules of thumb when doing an emgerency landing. Turn off everything quickly, then get out of the airplane and stay away!

True. I like how they cracked the door while on final. They got most of it right. I remember when Auggie retired at AL and was flying with George Velguth (IIRC) and when they came in they shut the plane down, but left the packs running along with all the beacons. Mistakes happen.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

don81603

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting AS739X (Reply 1):
Excellent landing and great piloting.

kudos for keeping it on the runway, and it a fairly straight line. I bet the upholstery needs to be cleaned, though.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

jcf5002

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 19):
I like how they cracked the door while on final. They got most of it right.

Yeah, my instructor always told me to do that whenever I had an emergency landing to prevent it from getting jamed if the fuselauge warped or crumpled. Very textbook landing and, apart from the forgetting the master and staying near the aircraft, nearly a textbook execution.

Personally, if I had just belly landed a plane with a bunch of 100LL in it, I'd be scooting my flamable butt a good distance away!

-Jeff
Its always a sunny day above the clouds || CSEL, CMEL, CFI, CFII, MEI

isitsafenow

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 11):
Not even the propellers seem to be damaged.

Yeah, thats kinda unheard of, a belly landing with a prop and not bending
the blades.....That guy should now be giving lectures and talks on wheels-up landings to private pilots everywhere....
WELL DONE.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Blackbird1331

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:24 am

I am just asking. Have any of the above posters who are critical of that flying school ever file a report with the FAA?

KPWMSpotter

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:38 am

I was wondering why they had opened the doors, and the reason given does make sense now that I think about it.

...And while they did great in getting the plane to the ground, I really think that their post-crash procedures could use some work. Even though missing the electrical masters on the way out is common, flicking those switches does go a long way towards preventing a ground fire or other complications. Also, while they seemed in a great rush to get away to start with, they were putting themselves back into potential danger when they immediately strayed forward to inspect the nose and props...
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

DeC

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks for explaining why they opened the doors prior to landing!
DEC

phishphan70

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:18 am

some great, cool hands behind the controls on that one. great seat of your pants landing!!!

zeke

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 22):
Yeah, thats kinda unheard of, a belly landing with a prop and not bending
the blades.....That guy should now be giving lectures and talks on wheels-up landings to private pilots everywhere....
WELL DONE.

I have never been a fan of shutting down engines in such cases, if the prop goes vertical on one side it can dig in on landing causing more problems than it is worth.

I do not think that is the normal POH procedure.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

emseeeye

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting KPWMSpotter (Reply 24):
...And while they did great in getting the plane to the ground, I really think that their post-crash procedures could use some work. Even though missing the electrical masters on the way out is common, flicking those switches does go a long way towards preventing a ground fire or other complications. Also, while they seemed in a great rush to get away to start with, they were putting themselves back into potential danger when they immediately strayed forward to inspect the nose and props...

If I remember correctly doesnt the Baron have fuel bladders? Whats with the armchair criticism here? No engines running, the plane is at a full stop and theres no fuel leaking. I think its about as safe a situation as can possibly be under these circumstances. If I was the pilot I would have felt just as safe. If there is no fuel leaking then what other dangers are present an hour later when removing the A/C from the runway then there were 1 minute after this incident?

Quoting Zeke (Reply 27):

I have never been a fan of shutting down engines in such cases, if the prop goes vertical on one side it can dig in on landing causing more problems than it is worth.

I do not think that is the normal POH procedure.

Ok, so let the props dig uneccessarliy into the ground...   I bet if you were paying for those engines you would have shut them down too!

[Edited 2007-01-21 22:41:23]

Spelling errors

[Edited 2007-01-21 22:42:26]

legacy135

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting EmSeeEye (Reply 28):
Ok, so let the props dig uneccessarliy into the ground... I bet if you were paying for those engines you would have shut them down too.

Zeke is right. First of all we need to save our lives, the aircraft is (or should be) covered by insurance.

If I go to think about the whole thing and it's possible effects, we need to look even further: Those props will in most cases remain windmilling until feathered. If one of them is not going to feather, there will be another BIG problem.

As said before, the guys here did a nice job with minor damage. Taking Zeke's thoughts in consideration, I have to admit that it probably was not POH, bringing the props to a stop. Looking over it, I think I probably would not be as courageous and feather those engines. I probably would damage the props.

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

ThePinnacleKid

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 23):
I am just asking. Have any of the above posters who are critical of that flying school ever file a report with the FAA?

Nope, that I haven't, not sure if anyone else has or has not... I've only viewed from afar and laughed at the crazy things I've seen (all the single engine landings with tow backs)... and other than them being rude in the pattern.. not much to do about it.. now the field is towered they get yelled at...life is good.... more importantly, i don't fly there anymore.. i'm with the airlines so honestly.. I just don't care what they do... I just tell people who ask not to go there for training and promote my old employer for training and one other flight school on the field.

Blackbird1331

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:52 am

PinnacleKid:
Thank you for speaking up. All aviators start at the GA level. As an aviator, and one who wants to promote aviation, I would report any incident that might jepordize the welfare of anyone within the aviation community.

SkyexRamper

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 19):

HAHAHHA..nice.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

ThePinnacleKid

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 31):
As an aviator, and one who wants to promote aviation, I would report any incident that might jepordize the welfare of anyone within the aviation community.

I don't think you'll have to worry about this flight school too much... After a nice incident like this I'm sure they'll get a nice review of their mx department... As far as reporting everything you see.. you can and can't really do that... without hard evidence it's not really going to go anywhere nor does the FAA really have the resources to check it out anyway after each instance... but more importantly... I've never flown there nor have I personally trained with them, and I've never flown the "travelscare"... I just viewed from afar their issues and dealt with them in the pattern (esp. pre towered field)... didn't like what I saw... so I don't recommend them... the people that SHOULD speak up are the ones who have trained there... They saw first hand what was going on... Just my 2 cents

stylo777

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:20 pm

great job the pilot did!