kevin

Man Denied Boarding Qantas Jet Because Of T Shirt

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:56 pm

A man was denied boarding a Qantas jet from MEL bound for LHR, because he was wearing a T shirt saying that George W Bush was world's #1 terrorist.

bps3458

RE: Man Denied Boarding Qantas Jet Because Of T Shirt

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:04 pm

You beat me with this thread by about 2 minutes. Just heard the same news on a local radio station here in Brisbane.

Any body have further info ? Can this cause problems for QF if the reason was really the t-shirt. Apparently t-shirt had a G.W. Bush pictures with the slogan "No. 1 international terrorist" or similar.

Cheers,

Peter

Fermarta

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:13 pm

Oneworld intranet says that when you are non reving with QF the following is not acceptable:

Any extremes of leisurewear - including sweatshirts or T-shirts with questionable graphics or language.

Probably this applies also to paying customers.
Otros vendrán que bueno te harán

travellin'man

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 pm

I am guessing that airlines can reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, and so can legally protect themselves against lawsuits or accusations of discrimination, even if their decisions are asinine.
It is not enough to be rude; one must also be incorrect.

dsmflyer

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:17 pm

Didn't this happen to some woman in the US a few months back? I wanna say it was on Southwest and involved the "f word," but I can't remember for sure.

flymd

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Quoting Travellin'man (Reply 3):
am guessing that airlines can reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, and so can legally protect themselves against lawsuits or accusations of discrimination, even if their decisions are asinine.

Is that true?. An airline can refuse a passenger for any reason at all? I can't imagine that is the case. A ticket represents a contract between the airline and the purchasing customer. Maybe I should read it more closely. Or maybe I will show up for my next flight naked (although that would probably get me denied boarding as well, oh well what to do?)  wink 
Fly the friendly skies of life!. Enjoy every minute.

manni

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting Kevin (Thread starter):
A man was denied boarding a Qantas jet from MEL bound for LHR, because he was wearing a T shirt saying that George W Bush was world's #1 terrorist.

That's silly. They could have requested him to wear a jacket, jumper (it's winter in the UK so he must have had either a jacket or a jumper in his carry on) or wear his t-shirt inside out. Failing all this they could have asked him to buy a new shirt in one of shops. Looks like the boarding agent had a bad day and that passenger had to take the consequences of the boarding agent's bad day.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

bohica

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting FlyMD (Reply 5):
maybe I will show up for my next flight naked

At least it will be easy for the TSA to search you. Big grin

HPAEAA

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting BPS3458 (Reply 1):
You beat me with this thread by about 2 minutes. Just heard the same news on a local radio station here in Brisbane.

Any body have further info ? Can this cause problems for QF if the reason was really the t-shirt. Apparently t-shirt had a G.W. Bush pictures with the slogan "No. 1 international terrorist" or similar.

I'm wondering if QF will try to settle this quietly out of court... anyone know how the Australian justice system works??
Why do I fly???

Jacks757

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 4):
Didn't this happen to some woman in the US a few months back? I wanna say it was on Southwest and involved the "f word," but I can't remember for sure.

Yeah. The shirt said "Meet the F...ers" with a pic of George Bush and Dick Chaney on it. I think it was Southwest but im not sure.

silentbob

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:32 pm

Bad policy to deny someone just for the text on their shirt. On the other hand it's absolutely moronic to feel the need to make a statement like that while traveling. I believe the proper term is "attention whore."

dsmflyer

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:38 pm

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/966048

Quote:

Jasson said he cleared international security checks and arrived at the departure lounge in Melbourne for the flight home when he approached the gate manager, congratulated him over Qantas allowing him to wear the shirt and demanded an apology for his earlier treatment.

"I concede that I raised the issue, but I wanted primarily to thank Qantas for relenting when (the gate manager) told me: 'I'm surprised you got this far, the staff should have stopped you'," Jasson said.

Sounds like the guy was being an obnoxious asshat, and that doesn't usually help your case at the airport.

manni

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:42 pm

I couldn't find anything on QF's condition of carriage that prohibit wearing clothes as the person did who's been denied boarding.

10.1 Refusal of Carriage
Even if you have a ticket and a confirmed reservation, we may refuse to carry you and your baggage if any of the following circumstances have occurred or we reasonably believe will occur:

* if carrying you or your baggage may put the safety of the aircraft or the safety or health or any person in the aircraft in danger or at risk
* if carrying you or your baggage may materially affect the comfort of any person in the aircraft
* if carrying you will break government laws, regulations, orders or an immigration direction from a country to which you are travelling or are to depart from
* because you have refused to allow a security check to be carried out on you or your baggage
* because you do not appear to have all necessary documents (see 8.1)
* if you fail to comply with any applicable law, rule, regulation or order or these Conditions of Carriage
* if you fail to complete the check-in process by the check-in deadline or fail to arrive at the boarding gate on time
* because you have not obeyed the instructions of our ground staff or a member of the crew of the aircraft relating to safety or security
* because you have not complied with our medical requirements (see 3.5)
* because you require special assistance and you have not made prior arrangements with us for this (see 4.8)
* if you are drunk or under the influence of alcohol or drugs
* if you are, or we reasonably believe you are, in unlawful possession of drugs
* if your mental or physical state is a danger or risk to you, the aircraft or any person in it
* if you have used threatening, abusive or insulting words towards our ground staff or a member of the crew of the aircraft or otherwise behaved in a threatening manner
* if you have committed a criminal offence during the check-in or boarding processes or on board the aircraft
* if you have deliberately interfered with a member of our ground staff or the crew of the aircraft carrying out their duties
* if you have put the safety of either the aircraft or any person in it in danger
* if you have made a threat
* because you have committed misconduct on a previous flight and we have reason to believe that such conduct may be repeated
* because you cannot prove you are the person specified on the ticket on which you wish to travel
* because you are trying to use a flight coupon out of sequence without our agreement (see 6.11)
* if you destroy your travel documents during the flight
* if you have refused to allow us to photocopy your travel documents
* if you have refused to give your travel documents to a member of our ground staff or the crew of the aircraft when we have asked you to do so
* if you ask the relevant government authorities for permission to enter a country in which you have landed as a transit passenger
* because your ticket:
- is not paid for
- has been reported lost or stolen
- has been transferred
- has been acquired unlawfully
- has been acquired from someone other than us or an Authorised Agent
- contains an alteration which has not been made by us or an Authorised Agent
- is spoiled, torn or damaged or has otherwise been tampered with, or
- is counterfeit or otherwise invalid

In any of the situations in this 10.1, we may remove you from a flight, even after you have boarded, without any liability on our part, and cancel any subsequent flights on the ticket.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...reYouTravel/conditionsCarriageLong

Stealthz

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 8):
I'm wondering if QF will try to settle this quietly out of court

What's to settle" The guy is an attention seeking a$%#hole and was deliberatly provoking an incident.
He was also prevented from travelling from MEL-ADL on Virgin Blue wearing the Tshirt.
The rules about mentioning terrorism around airports, even in jest are quite clear.
QF should be suing him!

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

MaidensGator

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:49 pm

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 11):
Quote:

Jasson said he cleared international security checks and arrived at the departure lounge in Melbourne for the flight home when he approached the gate manager, congratulated him over Qantas allowing him to wear the shirt and demanded an apology for his earlier treatment.

"I concede that I raised the issue, but I wanted primarily to thank Qantas for relenting when (the gate manager) told me: 'I'm surprised you got this far, the staff should have stopped you'," Jasson said.

Sounds like the guy was being an obnoxious asshat, and that doesn't usually help your case at the airport.

This guy says he's protected by freedom of speech, but those protections are from the government, not private business. I think the airline is more worried about offending other passengers than any security issue. Somebody mentioned the "F*** You" t-shirt. From the airline's point of view, it's better to upset the passenger wearing it than dozens of other passengers who might be offended. It's pretty obvious this guy is trying to cause a scene; he didn't just show up having no idea the shirt would be a problem.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Sydscott

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:14 pm

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21097420-2,00.html

This guy just sounds like an idiot if you ask me.

Quoting Manni (Reply 6):
That's silly. They could have requested him to wear a jacket, jumper (it's winter in the UK so he must have had either a jacket or a jumper in his carry on) or wear his t-shirt inside out. Failing all this they could have asked him to buy a new shirt in one of shops. Looks like the boarding agent had a bad day and that passenger had to take the consequences of the boarding agent's bad day.

They did ask him to buy a new one etc. He refused. I agree with the decision because the last thing you want at 30,000 feet is an argument/fight with another passenger which may cause an incident. Imagine if this guy had got into a flight with a George W supporter and had to be restrained etc. In those circumstances the plane would have had to do divert.

Quoting Manni (Reply 12):
* if carrying you or your baggage may put the safety of the aircraft or the safety or health or any person in the aircraft in danger or at risk
* if carrying you or your baggage may materially affect the comfort of any person in the aircraft

I would have thought that covered it. If you allow him to wear his shirt then you have to allow the pro lobby to wear theirs as well. The potential for conflict if the 2 were ever in the same aircraft around one another is obvious. Again, Qantas made the right call. If the guy wasn't so pigheaded he'd be in London.

'm wondering if QF will try to settle this quietly out of court... anyone know how the Australian justice system works??

Why would they want to settle out of court?? This guy's an idiot and he doesn't deserve a cent. If he goes to sue Qantas any judge will see that and will act conservatively in their decision making lest they open a loophole.

manni

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 15):
They did ask him to buy a new one etc. He refused.

I wasn't aware of that, there was no link in the starter.

If the guy wasn't so pigheaded he'd be in London.

That's probably it. From the articles it appaers that he was looking for conflict. If he was just someone wearing that T-shirt without knowing he'd offend or breach 'unwritten' dress code rules of QF, he'd probably made it ti London and he'd definitely not refuse to wear his T-shirt inside out, buy a new one etc.

Again, Qantas made the right call.

The additional information we have now, favors QF's decision. Agreed, QF made the right call, after he refused to get changed.

HPAEAA

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:45 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 13):
What's to settle" The guy is an attention seeking a$%#hole and was deliberately provoking an incident.
He was also prevented from travelling from MEL-ADL on Virgin Blue wearing the Tshirt.
The rules about mentioning terrorism around airports, even in jest are quite clear.
QF should be suing him!

Granted, I don't know Australian Law or British Law, but I would argue that the airlines would be liable for damages... under the contract of carriage posted, there is nothing that cites this particular instance... and well here in the US, it's not illegal to have an unpopular opinion... I'm not saying he's right I'm just saying I would really like to see one of these cases play out in the justice system as a Free Speech issue here in the US...

I would have thought that covered it. If you allow him to wear his shirt then you have to allow the pro lobby to wear theirs as well. The potential for conflict if the 2 were ever in the same aircraft around one another is obvious. Again, Qantas made the right call. If the guy wasn't so pigheaded he'd be in London.

Would QF have denied boarding to someone that was wearing a Pro G.B. Shirt???

Why would they want to settle out of court?? This guy's an idiot and he doesn't deserve a cent. If he goes to sue Qantas any judge will see that and will act conservatively in their decision making lest they open a loophole.

Idiot, yes, out of court, depending on what happens, in the US often cases are settled out of court to avoid admitting fault, thus preventing precedent from being set... you can still be an idiot and have a point...
Why do I fly???

baron95

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:53 pm

* if your mental or physical state is a danger or risk to you, the aircraft or any person in it

Any one that feels the need to wear an overtely abused T-shirt aboard an international flight, is by (my) definition is a mental state that can put the flight at risk. He will not be boarding my plane.
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

Lufthansa

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:09 pm

Okay I think Qantas has done the right thing here simply because all
this is, really is just a dress code.

Now i'd say this is nothing more then some aging hippie with a chip on his shoulder. Sooooo, if i were Qantas, i'd fix him. I'd let him fly, but I'd make sure he was allocated a windowseat, and two very large and very fat (im thinking some mauri football players wouldn't go astray here...) should be sitting next to him and 'lock' him so to speak in a window seat in the 744 making it as difficult as possible for him to move around the cabin or be seen by other passengers at any time.

Losing this guy's business isn't going to hurt. If this is the sort of thing he carrys on with everybody who knows him will realise he's a twat and a 'difficult' person and probably will take his negative opinions with a grain of salt anyway. And there is no way in hell i could see the likes of Singapore Airlines permitting anything on board that say the F word in huge letters.

Yes, a nut looking for attention. He's got a right to free speech and to protest... just not on somebody elses private property.

Sydscott

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 17):
but I would argue that the airlines would be liable for damages

On what basis?? The guy cannot say Qantas were unreasonable in any of their demands and, in the end, it was his own refusal to change shirts that led to him not boarding the flight. He had already gotten into trouble on both DJ and QF before so he knew what he was doing was not acceptable to them yet he did it anyway. Under those circumstances you can't say he didn't know or wasn't aware of the policy and it comes down to him being pigheaded.

and well here in the US, it's not illegal to have an unpopular opinion

So you should be allowed to wear an "Osama for President T-shirt" on a plane in the US?? Would that get through security?? If it did do you think your fellow passengers would be comfortable seeing you sit there?? Would the air crew be comfortable?? If you're going to make a rule for this you need to consider all of the potential implications of it.

Probably not as long as the word terrorist wasn't on it in reference to anyone else.

Idiot, yes, out of court, depending on what happens, in the US often cases are settled out of court to avoid admitting fault, thus preventing precedent from being set... you can still be an idiot and have a point...

It wouldn't matter if the decision went against QF because if it did both them and DJ would lobby hard for the law to be changed and they would probably get it. So the guys point would be moot at best. However in this case I disagree with you. This has nothing to do with someone's freedom of expression and everything to do with the safety of the plane. Again, the last thing you want is a pro-GB person to see this and start an argument when the plane is in the air. QF did the right thing by taking into account the potential for conflict amongst passengers and the potential for disruption on the flight. There is a time and a place for everything and making a political point on an airline is neither.

ikramerica

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 13):

That's the key.

It was likely the word "terrorist" and not the political message itself that was at issue.

What kind of moron wears a shirt with the word terrorist on it to an airport?

Obviously, this kind of moron, and he was rightfully denied boarding. But he seemed to WANT to be denied, so that he could make a political statement.

Genius.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

jasond

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:23 pm

I couldn't find anything on QF's condition of carriage that prohibit wearing clothes as the person did who's been denied boarding.

It's a tough call, beyond the 'legalise' though I think QF made the correct call here. Regardless of whether I personally agree with the gentleman's sentiments or not the statement on his shirt is potentially libellious and frankly I would not want to sit next to anyone wearing this or a shirt with the word "F@#$" on it. There are better and more mature ways to get your point across. Write a letter to the newspaper, get on talkback radio, rant on a blog or forum. I just don't want to see it on an aircraft. I have paid a fare as well which means I also have rights. Mr Jasson has evidently not taken that into consideration. For all we know he could have been allowed to fly and then decided to rant at a few passengers on route and then what, he would be removed, either way same result, would he also consider sueing under those circumstances.

I'm sorry, but this guy is a moron, period.

[Edited 2007-01-22 08:25:34]

pilotdude09

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:30 pm

Send him back to the UK one less dickwad in this country. What an idiot, sounds like he was trying to make a deal out of it.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

VHXLR8

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:16 pm

Quoting Manni (Reply 6):

He was offered a Qantas t-shirt to change into; as well being asked if he had a jacket in his bag to cover it, then failing that, he was told he could happily be rescheduled to the next day if he returned in more appropriate clothing.
Your comments regarding the gate agent are highly unfounded, unfair, and just downright immature.

Granted, I don't know Australian Law or British Law, but I would argue that the airlines would be liable for damages... under the contract of carriage posted, there is nothing that cites this particular instance... and well here in the US, it's not illegal to have an unpopular opinion

Yes, the conditions of carriage do allow for situations such as these.
It's not illegal in Australia to have an unpopular opinion either; however this is not about opinion or political views. It's about the fact that he was wearing a t-shirt with the word "terrorist"; a word highly likely to cause concern or distress to fellow passengers - passenegers who don't deserve such a situation.

Most likely not; if it was not an offensive shirt.

alaskaqantas

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:31 pm

this is stupid of the man to do what he did...

Quoting BPS3458 (Reply 1):

but still, I wonder where he got the T-shirt, I wouldn't mind picking one up just to show to friends, not to wear.

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 14):
the "F*** You" t-shirt. From the airline's point of view, it's better to upset the passenger wearing it than dozens of other passengers who might be offended.

I wouldn't feel "safe" sitting next to a women for hours on end that had a T-shirt that said "F**k you."
He should have changed, then put his T-shirt back on (if he wanted it on THAT badly) when he was off the plane and out of the airport in LHR.
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

Simes

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:33 pm

I'm wondering if QF will try to settle this quietly out of court... anyone know how the Australian justice system works??

To be brutally honest, we don't goto court over this sorta thing.

They interviewed the guy on SBS news, apparently it was suggested to him that he remove or cover the shirt but he refused. He wants to make a point, point made....

(I think his refusal to just remove the offensive article would torpeado any court case)

edoca

RE: Man Denied Boarding Qantas Jet Because Of T Sh

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:38 pm

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 24):
It's about the fact that he was wearing a t-shirt with the word "terrorist"; a word highly likely to cause concern or distress to fellow passengers - passenegers who don't deserve such a situation.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 21):
That's the key.

It was likely the word "terrorist" and not the political message itself that was at issue.

I'm not going to disagree with you, this may indeed well be the reason.

But what is the world coming to? How can any reasonable person be offended by the word "terrorist" on a t-shirt in an airport environment? How? Do people then think the person wearing such a t-shirt is a terrorist?

Next thing, no religious symbols will be allowed on planes because people may make connotations to a certain world religion that has been plagued by fanatics.

In the same logic, no one should mention "death" in a hospital.

eoinnz

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:08 pm

VHXLR8

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting Edoca (Reply 27):
But what is the world coming to? How can any reasonable person be offended by the word "terrorist" on a t-shirt in an airport environment? How? Do people then think the person wearing such a t-shirt is a terrorist?

I highly doubt anyone would think a person wearing such a t-shirt is indeed a terrorist, but that is not the issue.
There are a lot of nervous flyers out there (everyday I come across at least 1 or 2). For these people, getting on a flight is hard, they certainly don't want ANY reminder of things such as air crashes, or terrorists. Similarly, flying can be stressful for anybody, on a flight, people want to be able to relax; having some moron shoving the sad state of the world in their face is just downright inappropriate.

Elite

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:23 pm

They did the right thing, as it would cause some unwanted attention and might even cause heated debates/fights aboard.

cx777fan

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:57 pm

So what happens if I board a flight with a hardback book that puts forward basically the same argument as the T-shirt?? Or if someone peers over my shoulder while I'm reading a newspaper editorial that suggests GWB is indeed dangerous, violent and blinded by religion??? What if I say the word "terrorist" during a conversation while boarding??? This guy was wearing his politics on his sleeve...I'd like to see QF ban some nutty evangelical for wearing a tacky Christian T-shirt (I can say that, I used to own a couple...)

This whole thing is stupid. I can imaginine it happening in the US, but it is a sad indictment of what Australia has become that this happened in Melbourne.

777236ER

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:06 pm

Ridiculous. There's nothing in the conditions of carriage about inappropriate text on the tshirt, and Qantas can't explain why the tshirt was a safety or security risk. The airline essentially discriminated against him because of his political views.
Your bone's got a little machine

LHRBlueSkies

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 32):

Bang on! Whether you agree with his statement or not, this is political censorship by an airline.

Quoting CX777Fan (Reply 31):

Exactly! Yes, maybe he should have toned it down, but are we going to start telling pax what they can or can't read? What about the inflight newspapers given out, are they censored for political bias, or for mentioning the 'T' word?

Maybe we should forget LCC's or full-service carriers, and divide them up into Left-Wing Air, Consersative Carriers Inc., and No-Opinion Airways - you choose who you fly with depending on your political viewpoint?!?!
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

YLWbased

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:49 pm

i ware a t-shirt that saids "I'm a boom technician, if you see me running , try to keep up" at the back. and AC ask me to put a jacket on during the entire flight to cover up the words....
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

chris133

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Manni (Reply 6):
That's silly. They could have requested him to wear a jacket, jumper (it's winter in the UK so he must have had either a jacket or a jumper in his carry on) or wear his t-shirt inside out.

Its not as silly as you may think. Most people that wear things like that want to be seen and refuse to cover up so its not like you can just have them put on a jacket. Even if they did put it on we all know the minute the plane is off the ground they would take it off. I'm all for free speech (for the person who wants to make a statement but also for the people that don't want to hear that statement) but there are always consequences for your actions. I applaud the Pax for having the courage to say it and i applaud the airline for saying you can do it just not right here.

OHLHD

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:20 pm

* if your mental or physical state is a danger or risk to you,

Why on earth I would wear such a t-shirt. Obviously his only change to express himself. Got nothing to talk at home....

It's not illegal in Australia to have an unpopular opinion either; however this is not about opinion or political views. It's about the fact that he was wearing a t-shirt with the word "terrorist"; a word highly likely to cause concern or distress to fellow passengers - passenegers who don't deserve such a situation.

We have to belive it or not there are people who have no idea who GWB is. Therefore it comes close to wearing a Osama T-Shirt for those pax.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 32):
The airline essentially discriminated against him because of his political views.

He can leave that at home. I would have not accepted him either! Well done QF!!!

People doeing such thinks have some real problems and do everything to be seen and observed!

manni

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:20 pm

He was offered a Qantas t-shirt to change into; as well being asked if he had a jacket in his bag to cover it, then failing that, he was told he could happily be rescheduled to the next day if he returned in more appropriate clothing.
Your comments regarding the gate agent are highly unfounded, unfair, and just downright immature.

From what was posted in the opening post it appeared that the passenger was refused boarding straight away for wearing that T-shirt. That would indeed have been silly, period. If you had read my reply, after a link got posted and more of the story was known (post16), rather then immidiately jumping to the defense of the gate agent, you would have known that I then agreed with the action taken by QF.

Quoting Manni (Reply 16):
The additional information we have now, favors QF's decision. Agreed, QF made the right call, after he refused to get changed.

777236ER

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 37):
He can leave that at home. I would have not accepted him either! Well done QF!!!

So not only are words banned on aircraft, but any sort of political views? If I strike up a political discussion with my neighbour, am I liable to be kicked off the flight? Especially if I have the 'wrong' view?

Nonsense. Qantas has no right to discriminate because of someone's political views. The man was not a security risk, nor was he a safety risk.

OHLHD

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 39):
So not only are words banned on aircraft, but any sort of political views?

Why do you need to express yourself on an aircraft. Why can´t this guy just behave as 100000 others? Who the hell is interesting in that.

Me as a passenger I would straight away tell him that he is an idiot.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 39):
Nonsense. Qantas has no right to discriminate because of someone's political views. The man was not a security risk, nor was he a safety risk.

How do you know? What if there is a riot onboard or a group of 30 americans getting mad.... it was the right decision.

MEA-707

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:45 pm

If he just wore the T shirt I probably wouldn't care if I were QF, but his whole attitude around the issue would make me suspect he will cause trouble on board and because of that, he rightfully got booted.

[Edited 2007-01-22 13:45:37]
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

ltbewr

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:55 pm

What if that shirt had a picture of OBL instead of GWB with the same #1 Terrorist reference? I would bet he still would have been asked to not wear or cover the shirt up for obious reasons. Any references to terrorism is very upsetting and unsuitable inside a commercial passanger aircraft.
Being on an aircraft is not the same as someone being on a public street. One does not have the same free speech rights as in a privately owned space. There is a need for some decorum as to one's appearance and beheavor as have no options to leave if offended or uncomfortable. It is a shame this person didn't have enough common sense and I guess he will pay a price for his poor judgement.

CX747

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:16 pm

The man was just looking to cause trouble. He had already been denied boarding when wearing this t-shirt on an earlier trip. When are people going to grow up and realize that wearing a "Loud and Proud" shirt may cause you issues.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Elite

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 41):

Quoting CX747 (Reply 43):

Correct; the staff probably thought he was going to be troublesome.

NAV20

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:33 pm

The guy has been hawking himself around talkback radio today and threatening 'legal action.' My impression is that he's an 'attention-seeker,' his stunt's backfired, and he will shortly dress himself properly and get himself back to the UK to save his job.

I'd say that he doesn't have a cat in hell's chance of getting damages in court - still less of getting any sort of discretionary payment out of QF. Qantas' statement - the last paragraph of this 'Age ' story - appears to say it all, as far as the law is concerned. The magic word is 'potential' - it's not a question of what would probably have happened, but of what MIGHT have happened:-

"Reading from a prepared statement, a Qantas spokesman said: "Whether made verbally or on a t-shirt, comments with the potential to offend other customers or threaten the security of a Qantas group aircraft will not be tolerated"."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...hirt/2007/01/22/1169330807730.html
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

777236ER

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 40):

Why do you need to express yourself on an aircraft.

Why should you ban it?

Airlines shouldn't discriminate on IQ, either.

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 45):

"Reading from a prepared statement, a Qantas spokesman said: "Whether made verbally or on a t-shirt, comments with the potential to offend other customers or threaten the security of a Qantas group aircraft will not be tolerated"."

Well, 'offence' is subjective, and isn't mentioned in their terms and conditioned. And there's no way Qantas can claim this man was a security risk. If Qantas are sued, expect a big payout.

Analog

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Why do you need to express yourself on an aircraft. Why can´t this guy just behave as 100000 others?

Huh? The t-shirt guy is an annoying attention whore, but people should not have to conform to the majority opinion to fly. His t-shirt may have been stupid, but it was not a threat, nor was it obscene. IMO both the guy and QF are in the wrong here. The guy for obvious reasons, and QF for falling for his stupid

In your words, Why do you need to express yourself on an aircraft? Why start a potential conflict?

How do you know? What if there is a riot onboard or a group of 30 americans getting mad.... it was the right decision.

I'd wonder why QF allowed a group of 30 violent people who lose self-control because of a t-shirt on board their aircraft.

[Edited 2007-01-22 14:57:04]

OHLHD

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 46):
Why should you ban it?

It was never allowed.

[Edited 2007-01-22 14:57:42]

OHLHD

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 47):
Huh? The t-shirt guy is an annoying attention whore, but people should not have to conform to the majority opinion to fly. His t-shirt may have been stupid, but it was not a threat, nor was it obscene. IMO both the guy and QF are in the wrong here. The guy for obvious reasons, and QF for falling for his stupid

I agree, but it might become a threat.

In your words, Why do you need to express yourself on an aircraft? Why start a potential conflict?

I did not mention that IF there was a political discussion I would tell him that.

I'd wonder why QF allowed a group of 30 violent people who lose self-control because of a t-shirt on board their aircraft.

If you have a guy with this T-Shirt and a group of 30 who are annoyed by it...whom would you offload if a riot is already at the gate...  Smile

Airlines shouldn't discriminate on IQ, either.

So some here would not be allowed to travel anymore....

NAV20

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:05 pm

And there's no way Qantas can claim this man was a security risk.

Yes they can, 777236ER. Suppose another passenger got angry and took a swing at him, the cabin crew had to intervene, and the Captain had to come back to sort things out. Are you saying that that might not have endangered the aircraft?

I agree that that's unlikely - but it COULD have happened. As I said, it's not a matter of probabilities - the 'worst case scenario' is the one that matters.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci