I may be new here, but I have watched these forums like a hawk and I’ve noticed a few things regarding my home airport of DTW and have been having this on the brain for ages and I would love to be able to have a good night’s sleep after thinking of these. My main question is relating in regards to a particular that we once had come here on a regular basis in the summer, but no longer comes and might not ever be a regular here ever again. Yes I’m talking about our beloved Boeing 777. I’ve seen it be a common sight over my house apart from a sea of NW and NK jets with an occasional UA or LH. I’ve seen it and thought that I may have been able to fly it to the UK someday. DTW was in fact one of the first cities in BA’s network to see the 777 as of May 1st, 1997
“May 1st, British Airways launches daily service to London (Heathrow), and debuted the new Boeing 777 aircraft. BA is the first airline to bring the 777 to DTW.”
Unfortunately I’ve seen the loads for BA’s LHR-DTW-LHR flight slowly go topsy turvy around the Ryder cup and later on, which resulted in us getting a 767 that seems to be here to stay. Have the yields on BA 202/203 been that bad with the 777 that the 767 is here to stay? I looked at one of the examples I’m well aware of the 777 coming into here for the NAIAS and I tried to see if I could go down to DTW to see it, but couldn’t come due to my final exams. I’m also aware of BA extending BA 202/203 down to IAH. My sister flew this route during August and November when she was studying in Vienna and she commented on the light loads in coach on the 767. My immediate thought is that we DTW a.netters have lost our 777 for good and that my hopes of flying a 777 to Europe without going to ORD or JFK are crushed. Therefore I have to ask these questions:
1) Will DTW ever see a regular 777 service again…from anyone (AF, BA, KL, KE? AZ?) ?
2) Is BA’s extension to IAH via DTW a last ditch effort to improve BA 202/203?
3) Why did KLM leave? Will they ever come back? I’m sure KL would not have any troubles loading up a 777 to AMS from here seeing as to how their last aircraft in here was a 744.
4) With the probable BA 777 order to replace some 767s, could this be a sign for DTW that we may be able to get the 777 back (although the 777 order could easily be converted to 77Ws or for the 748i or A380)
5) With the wrestling convention coming here in April (?), may we have a same case as we had with the NAIAS?
6) Can anyone give me some recent load factors of BA 202/203 before the IAH extension? Preferably when it was operated by a 777 and 767 for comparison.
7) Is it possible that BA may say farewell to DTW soon?
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/1718172 (BA Flt 202..DTW-LHR..Weird Sept. Schedule)
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/1854215 (BA 767 problems today at LHR)
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/1675936 (Change Of Aircraft BA Why?)
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/1417489 (New International Service from DTW?)
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/1238628 (thank You BA--777 Back At DTW...)
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/1180862 (BA 777s not flying into DTW)
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/759739 (BA Resuming 777 At DTW?)
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/68677 (BA DTW 747 mystery) BA Announce Long Haul Increases (by B742 Jan 5 2007 in Civil Aviation) (BA announce long haul increases)
Photo © Mike Moores
PS: I know most of my sources are kinda out of date, but to me it seems like a pattern going on with us DTWSpotters and our 777 withdrawal