MSYtristar
Topic Author

Old National/Pan Am Domestic Routes

Wed Jul 19, 2000 2:01 pm

When did Pan Am cancel National's former Southern Transcon flights from Florida to the West(LAX, LAS, SFO, SEA, etc.) via MSY and IAH? I'm thinking sometime before 1984 there was a schedule reduction, because a Pan Am timetable from 1984 only shows a flight from MSY to SFO, 1-stop in IAH. I know there were many more flights, like MSY/IAH to LAX and SFO, not to mention flights to Vegas and other Florida cities besides Miami. Does anyone know when and why did these flights cease? Pan Am should have expanded them, not cancelled them.

Stephen in New Orleans

Cody

RE: Old National/Pan Am Domestic Routes

Wed Jul 19, 2000 10:17 pm

I'm not sure of the exact dates, but I believe it was around late 1983 to early 1984 when these routes were dropped. By 1987, they no longer served MSY and most of the former National routes were gone. I'm not really sure of thereason for the reduction, but in 1984 Ed Acker took over the helm and greatly expanded the New York - Florida routes to combat Air Florida. He also realigned everything to connect through JFK and a little bitthrough Miami. Maybe this was part of the reasoning. I never understood Pan Am's domestic strategy either. Sometimes I honestly don'tthinkthey had one. It was like they just closedtheir eyes and started picking cities to serve from JFK and then added a few tag ons from those cities. I often try to think how I would have had Pan Am's routes. I definetely would have chosen better cities to serve from JFK and I may have even downplayed JFK in favor of Washington Dulles. It would have also been favorable to see some sort of hub in the middle ofthe country, like IAH, MSP, or CVG.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2000 11:26 pm

Pan Am left MSY a couple of times if I'm not mistaken. Once in 87 like you said, and once before then for a short while. They returned in late 88 and stayed until the went under in 91. Those routes always interested me.

Stephen

Cody

Thu Jul 20, 2000 1:55 am

I was not aware that they returned to MSY. I know they had some real goofy routes like Nashville to Pittsburgh coninueing to JFK. Also Charlotte to Jacksonville. I am telling you, they drew the cities they were going to serve out of a hat.