Chiguire
Topic Author

Atrevete Venezuela! Venezuela Aviation Thread I

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:09 am

Expropriation of airports, a state-owned airline and still a lot of private investment....

Venezuela has so many airlines an a dynamic development. Finally I decided to start this in order to have a dedicated space for discussions about this great country.

The moderators of this forums need to understand a bit that there might be some postings „off-topic“ so „non-av“ but the circumstances might require some background postings. So I kindly ask not to delete those comments in order to make this overview of Venezuelan aviation complete.

In relation to the number of inhabitants, Venezuela is one of the countries with the most commercial airlines in the world.. And here you go:

The still biggest airline in Venezuela is Aeropostal:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Erick Stamm
View Large View Medium

Photo © Roger Cannegieter

Aeropostal operates about 25 DC-9 and MD83 to the most important domestic destinations and international to Miami, Port of Spain, Bogotá, Medellín, Habana, Sto. Domingo, Puerto Plata, Lima, Aruba and Curaçao.
Latest news: Attempts of signing a codeshare with Iberia to operate European destinations.
http://www.aeropostal.com

In my opinion No. 2: Santa Barbara Airlines

View Large View Medium

Photo © Harri Koskinen
View Large View Medium

Photo © Manolo Aldana

SBA operates a 757 and a couple of ATRs and Cessna Caravan. In addition ACMI of 2 767 and one 757.
Latest news: Intents to put some 737 into service for BOG and MAR.
http://www.sb-airlines.com

A nice domestic network: Aserca Airlines

View Large View Medium

Photo © Leonardo Montiel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Leonardo Montiel

Operates about 15 DC9-30 on domestic routes and charter services to the Caribbean (e.g. SDQ, PUJ and SXM).
No recent news ?
http://www.asercaairlines.com

Number 4 maybe: Avior

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Juan jose
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Alexander Calderon Angulo

Operates 5 737 and 10 Beech 1900 to domestic destinations out of their hub BLA. International routes from BLA to Miami and from CCS to AUA/CUR and from PMV to POS. Charter services to the Caribbean.
Intents to start CCS-MIA with 737-800.
http://www.avior.com.ve

More to follow......

Chiguire
Topic Author

RE: Atrevete Venezuela! Venezuela Aviation Thread I

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:13 am

And the state-owned Conviasa:

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Simon cordero
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Simon cordero

Operates some 737-200 and ATR42 as well as 1 Dash-7. Mainly domestic network with „social“ charters to other Latinamerican countries.
http://www.conviasa.aero

Chiguire
Topic Author

RE: Atrevete Venezuela! Venezuela Aviation Thread

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:14 am

The Margarita-Shuttle: Laser Airlines

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Enrique Perrella
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Alexander Calderon Angulo

Operates 1 DC9-30. They have 2 further DC 9 std in CCS. Operating 4-6 daily CCS-PMV flights.
http://www.laser.com.ve

[Edited 2007-01-25 22:17:59]

Chiguire
Topic Author

La Vinotinto: Rutaca

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Ricardo Coppola
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Marlo Plate - Iberian Spotters

Operates 4 732 and some Cessna Caravan to domestic destinations such as Ciudad Bolivar (CBL), San Antonio (SVZ), PMV and PZO as well as charter for the national soccer team (Vinotinto).
http://www.rutaca.com.ve

Chiguire
Topic Author

The unknown newcomer: Venezolana

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Jesus farias
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Luis Daniel Pereira

Operate 1 732. They also have 1 J41 and are supposed to recieve 3 more 732 and 9 more J41. Recently started operating CCS-MAR 4x daily. They seem to be linked to the government somehow.
http://www.ravsa.com.ve

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:15 am

Do they still exist? LAI

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Enrique Perrella
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Luis A. Gabaldon

The used to operate 2xATR 72. Currently shut down. Someone knows what is going on ?

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:15 am

The tourism airline: LTA - Aerotuy

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Enrique Perrella
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Luis A. Gabaldon

Formerly the most important touristic airline operating Dash 7 and Cessna Carvan. Currently operating only a few services to Los Roques and Canaima from Porlamar.

[Edited 2007-01-25 22:18:54]

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:16 am

Also tourism: SASCA

MyAviation.net photo:
MyAviation.net photo:

Operate two Cessna Caravan and a Beech 1900. Mainly from PMV to Tucupita and Canaima.
http://www.sasca.com.ve

I am curious to get more information about aircraft, routes and new developments....

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:21 am

Sorry, correct link to Santa Barbara Airlines homepage :
http://www.santabarbaraairlines.com

abrelosojos

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:24 am

Great to see a a VZ aviation thread. Lets stick to aviation though.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

cayman

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:29 am

Excellente Chiguire--lots of great info to start this thread thanks for the data.

I have the folloiwng comments/questions:

(1) Santa Barbara have really built themselves up in recent years. I remember when they flew mostly from CCS to Merida, trujillo etc and had only the ATRs. Now of course they are a good sized intl player and operate the 757s and the 767s. But why have they never started a service into PMV or anywhere 'oriental'--the east of the country? Now that they must be looking to feed their intl routes it would make sense to have seamless travel on SBA from say PMV to MAD or MIA on omne ticket. is there some reason they cannot enter the PMV market?

(2) Aserca does have a nice domestic network now, and I find they have been very competitive on price, especially on PMV CCS. I travel PMV CCS a lot in order to connect on to intl flights. Any plans to modernize fleet at all if possible?

(3) Avior has been very good, but I do not understand why they operate the Beach 1900s PMV CCS. Are the 732s so occupied they could not be used to do one or two cycles on this route. I think it will be difficult for Avior to compete on PMV CCS with the 1900s, which are a much longer flight PMV CCS, no lavatory, loud--all things considered jet service is much preferred. And Avior is often most expensive on PMV CCS, although they do have first flight out in am.

(4) Why do all the airlines Chiguire listed seem to operate PMV CCS flights at more or less same deaprture times? It seems that so many of those airlines leave at around same time, you would think it would be more competitive to spread out the departure a little bit.

(5) As an intl traveler in and out of PMV a lot (almost always via CCS)--I cannot undersatnd why at least one of the airlines flying CCS PMV have not offered one late or fairly late night departure CCS PMV in order to catch the last intl flights in, especially the later flights from MIA. I realize that there would not be a huge market for a late departure but I would think that if one or the above airlines put one flight, a DC9 or a 732 etc on a CCS PMV dep at say 1030 or 11PM, there would be enough O&D traffic from CCS area plus the intl pax who have arrived late. It is so frustrating to arrive at 6 or 7PM on an intl flight and be too late to catch the last flight over to PMV. I think there is a market for this is somebody chooses to take it.

cayman

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 9):
Great to see a a VZ aviation thread. Lets stick to aviation though

As Chiguire pointed out correctly, so much of what is going on in Vzla, including aviation policy or lack thereof, is political so for purposes of this thread you cannot separate the two to some degree. Sorry Hugo, this is not RCTV you can't pull the plug because you don't like the way your face looks!

rootsair

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:33 am

A bit of nostalgy here !

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

View Large View Medium

Photo © Snorre - VAP
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting CayMan (Reply 10):
But why have they never started a service into PMV or anywhere 'oriental'--the east of the country?

Maybe competition ? To PMV they use "8Z" Laser codeshare. So you can book PMV from MAD but flying Laser. I would say that this is a better solution as they can stay away from the competition.

Aserca does have a nice domestic network now, and I find they have been very competitive on price, especially on PMV CCS. I travel PMV CCS a lot in order to connect on to intl flights. Any plans to modernize fleet at all if possible?

I don't think so ! As far as I know they will be getting more DC9-30. A kind of Venezuelan Aerocalifornia !

And Avior is often most expensive on PMV CCS, although they do have first flight out in am.

They have reduced the frequencies on CCS-PMV, now operating mostly the 732.

Why do all the airlines Chiguire listed seem to operate PMV CCS flights at more or less same deaprture times? It seems that so many of those airlines leave at around same time, you would think it would be more competitive to spread out the departure a little bit.

Not sure about that....just look at around 19:30....Conviasa, Aserca, Laser, Aeropostal.....all to provide connections to ever increasing European demand.
Aeropostal now changed to 18:15h...great move as this is the best option from Europe now.

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 12):
A bit of nostalgy here !

You make me cry ! I wanted to avoid this.......

After so many years VIASA is still the airline I had the most flights...imagine !

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:50 am

Another touristic airline: Comeravia

MyAviation.net photo:
MyAviation.net photo:

http://www.comeravia.com.ve
A bit unreliable....

rootsair

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 14):

After so many years VIASA is still the airline I had the most flights...imagine !

that's impressive!

Well there couldn't be a Venezuelan thread without mentioning VIASA...ah I would have loved to fly them !
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:53 am

The best option to Los Roques paradise:

Transaven

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Lorenzo Bozzola
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Michael Prophet

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 16):

Well there couldn't be a Venezuelan thread without mentioning VIASA...ah I would have loved to fly them !

You missed something awesome !

luisde8cd

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting Chiguire (Thread starter):
Venezuela has so many airlines an a dynamic development. Finally I decided to start this in order to have a dedicated space for discussions about this great country.

Great thread starter Chiguire, excellent posts as usual.

Now of course they are a good sized intl player and operate the 757s and the 767s. But why have they never started a service into PMV or anywhere 'oriental'--the east of the country? Now that they must be looking to feed their intl routes it would make sense to have seamless travel on SBA from say PMV to MAD or MIA on omne ticket. is there some reason they cannot enter the PMV market?

Santa Barbara flies to Cumaná which is only served by Avior and SBA. They send the largest aircraft that Cumaná gets. Flights are timed for MIA, UIO, MAD connections.

SBA is very smart to stay out of crowded markets where competition is too fierce, that's why they've been successful. The almost near monopolies in MAR-AUA, LSP-CCS, VLN-MAR, CCS-CUM, CCS-MRD give them great yields. BRM-CCS is the route where they face the most competition.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

FCKC

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:00 am

About Linea Aerea IAACA.
Seems not to exist anymore.
- ATR72 YV1929 (ex YV-1004C) has been ferried to Brindisi on Dec20th
- ATR72 YV-1073C (has not been reregistered) , has been repossessed by ATR , but seems not yet ferried to Europe.

Probably this is the end of the road for L.A IAACA

In another way , despite it will NOT go to Conviasa , the A340 is always stored at Orly in full cs.

Chiguire
Topic Author

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 19):
Saludos desde Caracas,

Gracias por cambiar esto !

abrelosojos

Quoting CayMan (Reply 11):
political so for purposes of this thread you cannot separate the two to some degree.

= However, this is an aviation forum and creating loopholes is a slippery slope.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

JD747

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 17):
The best option to Los Roques paradise:

Transaven

Hey my wife is from Venezuela and she promised me that we will go there the next time we go to Venezuela so I guess that sould be the airline  

[Edited 2007-01-25 23:04:15]
Juan D.

ChicagoFlyer

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:07 am

Can anyone elaborate on the recent acceptance of Venezuela as a 'safe' country for aviation by the US govt?

Per the State dept web site

Quote:
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Venezuela as being in compliance with ICAO international aviation safety standards for the oversight of Venezuela’s air carrier operations.

From what I understand the Venezuelan carriers can now fly into the US relatively more easily--now have any of them taken advantage since agreed to by the USA?

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting ChicagoFlyer (Reply 24):
From what I understand the Venezuelan carriers can now fly into the US relatively more easily--now have any of them taken advantage since agreed to by the USA?

Avior started BLA-MIA on 4xweekly basis, Santa Barbara is operating YV-registrated aircraft as well as Aeropostal now.
Aeropostal is planning to start CCS-FLL operations. That's it. It could be much more, but the circumstances are difficult...

lamedianaranja

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:21 am

Just announced: the Pan Caribbean Alliance!

A very close cooperation between 4 airlines: Conviasa (Venezuela), Insel Air (Curacao), Surinam Airlines and Winair (St. Martin).

They've agreed on compatible flight schedules, tickets bookable on all 4 airlines, developing new routes and even using each others aircraft.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 26):
Just announced: the Pan Caribbean Alliance!

A very close cooperation between 4 airlines: Conviasa (Venezuela), Insel Air (Curacao), Surinam Airlines and Winair (St. Martin).

They've agreed on compatible flight schedules, tickets bookable on all 4 airlines, developing new routes and even using each others aircraft.

Is this April 1st ?
Or why did those 4 blind come together ? Can I fly on a Conviasa flight No. St. Maarten St. Baths ? Or Paramaribo-Port of Spain ?
If this is true, it will have about the same sense as a codeshare from Iran Air and Conviasa on CCS-THR !

Is there a source ?

lamedianaranja

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 27):
Is there a source ?

In Dutch:

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=18305

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:38 am

My friend Chiguire, great thing to start this thread!

Venezuela is undergoing a very difficult moment and aviation has been directly influenced by all the changes being made by the government.

Conviasa started up with the bias that was meant to destroy the market, and so far, it's been quite ok. They do offer some of the best fares but haven't been able to modify the preferences of people towards travelling.

Anyhow, from now on, it will be very interesting to see how aviation here evolutionates against the strong head wind the government represents. Survival is the goal, lets see how many airlines get to it.

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 13):
I know they will be getting more DC9-30

Yes, Aserca is getting many more DC-9s, just to keep the Venezuelan tradition!

Quoting FCKC (Reply 20):
About Linea Aerea IAACA.
Seems not to exist anymore.

This past weekend I went to the CCS domestic terminal and saw their counters empty. It must be that they ran out of business... one out.

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 25):
Aeropostal is planning to start CCS-FLL operations

Really? Wasn't it going to be code-shared with Spirit?

BTW, is Spirit actually coming to CCS?

Great thread!

Saludos
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:42 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 28):
Quoting Chiguire (Reply 27):
Is there a source ?

In Dutch:

So SLM flies AMS-PBM...an connects to.......? CUR =?

I am not very confident that this "alliance" could work. I don' t see enough potential within the involved countries. Who is Insel Air ? And what's the sense of Conviasa cooperating with WN ? They don't even have an airport where they could exchange passengers ! Conviasa does not fly to CUR (Insel Air) or to PBM (SLM).
WN has no connection to none of them ? What is this all about ?

lamedianaranja

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 14):
You make me cry ! I wanted to avoid this.......

Please remember her always, with fondness and melancholy, it's been hard these past days, I know. Just 2 days ago, on January 23, we remembered Viasa's last flight 10 years ago. I spent a few hours with a good friend reminiscing about the good old days too.

It seems the right occasion to post this link again:
http://te.acuerdas.de/comercial-de-viasa/101

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 29):
Conviasa started up with the bias that was meant to destroy the market, and so far, it's been quite ok. They do offer some of the best fares but haven't been able to modify the preferences of people towards travelling.

They started big...with some aggressive offers and routes....but I guess they had to admit that private competition is (still) much too strong. So they stopped BOG, POS and some other plans (A340).
This was also after they changed the ministry in charge...from the tourism ministry (Wilmar Castro) to the Ministry of Infrastructure. This made the airline to return to their roots...building up undeserved routes e.g. to El Vigia of Guausdualito....great !

Quoting 797 (Reply 29):
Really? Wasn't it going to be code-shared with Spirit?

BTW, is Spirit actually coming to CCS?

My mistake....VH will codeshare with NK. VH will operate VLN and MAR-FLL and NK CCS to FLL. This is the plan starting in April. Seeing is believing..  Smile

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 31):

Please remember her always, with fondness and melancholy, it's been hard these past days, I know. Just 2 days ago, on January 23, we remembered Viasa's last flight 10 years ago. I spent a few hours with a good friend reminiscing about the good old days too.

It seems the right occasion to post this link again:
http://te.acuerdas.de/comercial-de-v...a/101

Thank you for making me cry !  weeping 

This is really hard.....remembering the only real airline this country ever had !

I just checked....30 flights with them on my account....

SAS-A321

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:03 am

Nice thread!

I was in Venezuela for 3½ months one year ago and I must say that I love the country!

I flew with Aserca from Maracaibo to Caracas. The DC-9-30 was really nice dispite its age. I think it was from 68 or 69. I later read in an older Guiness Book of Records that the oldest plane flying commercial routes was from 67, so the DC9 is an oldie but goldie!

Say hi to all the pretty ladies you have in your country.
It's Scandinavian

Chiguire
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting SAS-A321 (Reply 34):

I was in Venezuela for 3½ months one year ago and I must say that I love the country!

How did you come to Venezuela ? With a charter ? Or LH via FRA ?

SAS-A321

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:15 am

I flew out:
BLL-CPH-FRA with Cimber/SAS (ATR42/MD80)
FRA-CCS with Lufthansa A340-300
CCS-Las Piedras with Santa Barbara ATR42

and flew back:
MAR-CCS with Aserca DC9-30
CCS-FRA-BLL same a out.
It's Scandinavian

SAS-A321

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:28 am

I noticed when I was out fueling a car, that the price you pay for 30 litres of gasoline is what we in Denmark and most of Europe pay for one liter!

Is the fuel prices low aswell and might that be the reason that the airliners have not aquired more fuel efficient aircrafts?
It's Scandinavian

cayman

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:44 am

Regarding international services, I am interested in anyone's opinion on AC trying to build its CCS YYZ service.

First of all, AC needs to pick a standard dep/arrival time and stick to it they seem to change it weekly almost and recently they have had ridiculous arrival times sometimes 2-3AM! On another post somebody said this was because of runway work but that makes no sense.

AC has a very extensive US, European and Asian network out of the YYZ mega hub, which will grow even more. Plan is to create in YYZ a 'sterile" transit area, so that intl transit pax (for example Vzla to Europe or Asia) would not need any Cdn visa to transit through YYZ.

This would seem to be a huge competitive advantage over US majors given ever increasing difficulty for Vzlans to get US visa, plus the hassle of passing through US Immigration even if you have one.

Any of the posters here have any thoughts on how well the YYZ CCS service does for AC and whether they should build it as a transit route for above reasons? O&D traffic between vzla and canada is pretty decent because of a fast growing Vzla population in canada, mostly in Toronto but a few in Montreal and vancouver as well, in addition to Western canada oil region.

CCS is supposedly part of AC plan to build themselves in latin America. But they need to get a set fliight time and stick to it. Plus it would be nice to drop the POS stop one one way leg.

Avianca

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:22 am

Chiguire my friend!

great topic!

Aeropostal operates about 25 DC-9 and MD83 to the most important domestic destinations and international to Miami, Port of Spain, Bogotá, Medellín, Habana, Sto. Domingo, Puerto Plata, Lima, Aruba and Curaçao

how are they doing on the international flights?

Regaring the Medellin flights.... it looks like the flights are now mostly full, or at least have strong loads.... I think nobody thought this when they started the route.... at least with me they have now a regular client on the route!

Latest news: Intents to put some 737 into service for BOG and MAR

any more infor regarding the BOG flights? I assume they will operate at least 2 daily in order to have good conections to and from the MAD flight... As much I love Avianca but they need some more competition on the route, they are increasing month by month the fares, now they are nearly at 1.000.000 VEB for a restricted eco return ticket... and are still always full...

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 6):
Formerly the most important touristic airline operating Dash 7 and Cessna Carvan. Currently operating only a few services to Los Roques and Canaima from Porlamar.

they are also still operating from CCS to Los Roques.... at least I see the DHC-7 on a regular basis in the morning when I am on the way to the office...

In generally I hope CCS will get some more Europe flights.... would be great to see KL and BA back.... and it would be very nice to get finally again a all cargo operation from Europe... what is really needed due the lack of carga capacity... problem is that Venezuela has nothing to export....
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

pzurita1

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:29 am

What do you guys think about the THR-CCS flight with IR? Is it for real? Has there been any news about this in VZ media?
There was no source on the thread regarding this, so I am very skeptic. However, if this does happen, I want to fly it (during the 3 or 4 months it will last)

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

Avianca

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 40):
What do you guys think about the THR-CCS flight with IR? Is it for real? Has there been any news about this in VZ media?

Very good question, but yes I think we will see in the future such a flight....

erikgnoha

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:04 am

Excellent Thread Chiguire, we needed this!

Santa Barbara flies to Cumaná which is only served by Avior and SBA. They send the largest aircraft that Cumaná gets. Flights are timed for MIA, UIO, MAD connections.

They stopped this flight some months ago. Avior has the monopoly in this route and I believe they are operating 1 weekly flight with a 737

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 32):
So they stopped BOG, POS and some other plans (A340).

Actually Conviasa still flies to POS from PMV 5X weekly with a ATR-42

The almost near monopolies in MAR-AUA, LSP-CCS, VLN-MAR, CCS-CUM, CCS-MRD give them great yields.

VLN-MAR is not a monopoly. Aeropostal,Aserca and Avior fly daily. S3 flies to MAR from VLN with a stop in BRM.

I think MRD is the most important domestic route for them. They offered 6 daily flights on this holiday.

Avior has been very good, but I do not understand why they operate the Beach 1900s PMV CCS

I am totally agreed with you. Avior is one of the best airlines in Venezuela, even though they are small. They have great fares, good services and they have created a nice hub in BLA. I will flight with them on carnaval to PZO with a stop in BLA beacause I found a great deal. Their online booking is the best, easy to use and reliable. They operate CCS-PMV with a Beech because there is a strong competition and they offer several flights via BLA.

(2) Aserca does have a nice domestic network now, and I find they have been very competitive on price, especially on PMV CCS. I travel PMV CCS a lot in order to connect on to intl flights. Any plans to modernize fleet at all if possible

Aserca is now the airline with more domestic frecuencies in venezuela, they beat VH some months ago. They have good fares to PMV because the competition but they are the most expensive airline to fly to other cities.

I hope Conviasa can grow steady. They have a nice fleet, 2 737-200, 2 737-300, 4 ATR-42, 1 ATR-72 and a couple of dash. They have one of the most newest fleet in Venezuela and they offer good deals. Who wouldn't flight with them? No wonder why their flights are always full.
Venezuela, donde los suenos renacen

erikgnoha

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting CayMan (Reply 38):
First of all, AC needs to pick a standard dep/arrival time and stick to it they seem to change it weekly almost and recently they have had ridiculous arrival times sometimes 2-3AM! On another post somebody said this was because of runway work but that makes no sense.

First, they should drop the stop in POS. Is a pain to make this stop after a 5 and half hour flight, and you have to get off the plane. AC could try YYZ-CCS as a red eye, as MX and CO do, however it might be complicated because both cities are on the same time zone. The return flight could depart on the early morning to YYZ. This would lead to tonnes of connections on YYZ. When I took this flight (it was full) many people were going to YVR and Asia. Maybe of they try this flight 3 weekly, who knows...

Quoting CayMan (Reply 38):
AC has a very extensive US, European and Asian network out of the YYZ mega hub, which will grow even more. Plan is to create in YYZ a 'sterile" transit area, so that intl transit pax (for example Vzla to Europe or Asia) would not need any Cdn visa to transit through YYZ.

Totally agreed about the sterile zone. Connecting people need to pick up the luggage and then drop it off again. I think this should be avoided!

erikgnoha

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:22 am

What about VH? Do they have any plans for international routes? Are they going to get more MD-80's? Does anybody know about their load factors? Thanks in advance.

Also, i was thinking about MRD (Merida) and why is this airport serve only by turboprops nowadays? I have seen pictures of 727-200 and DC-9 on this airport in the past, why not know?

Avianca

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 am

Quoting Erikgnoha (Reply 44):
What about VH? Do they have any plans for international routes? Are they going to get more MD-80's? Does anybody know about their load factors? Thanks in advance.

yes would be very nice to hear about there load-factors....

but what I personally think is that the POS, MDE, LIM and AUA flights are good to very good booked.

would be nice if VH would do the next stepp and maybe start ops to CLO, also a flight to PTY would be very nice...

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:44 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 32):
Seeing is believing..

Well, I will go down to CCS to photograph their first flight so we can all share the experience! I also say SEEING IS BELIEVING!

Quoting SAS-A321 (Reply 37):
I noticed when I was out fueling a car, that the price you pay for 30 litres of gasoline is what we in Denmark and most of Europe pay for one liter!

I full my 80-liter tank with Bs.6000 which is equivalent in the black market to US$ 2!!!

Quoting Avianca (Reply 39):
Regaring the Medellin flights.... it looks like the flights are now mostly full, or at least have strong loads.... I think nobody thought this when they started the route.... at least with me they have now a regular client on the route!

Woah, I didn't know that. MDE was pretty weak at the beginning!

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 40):

I don't see the problem, especially now that we have our beloved president sharing thoughts with middle eastern countries. I couldn't tell about loadings or demands.

Quoting Erikgnoha (Reply 42):
Avior is one of the best airlines in Venezuela

Indeed it is. I wish they had bigger and newer aircraft and get rid of those old 732s. They have loads of frequencies and have a big presence in CCS. Last sunday when I went spotting got to see at least 8 flights in two hours.

Quoting Erikgnoha (Reply 44):
Also, i was thinking about MRD (Merida) and why is this airport serve only by turboprops nowadays? I have seen pictures of 727-200 and DC-9 on this airport in the past, why not know?

Well, I don't know if it would be strategic to send those jets over there. Maybe sending more props would be far more reasonable than sending fuel-sucking jets such as the DC-9!

Saludos!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

erikgnoha

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 45):
but what I personally think is that the POS, MDE, LIM and AUA flights are good to very good booked.

I think they have good numbers on the POS flight because they don't face any competition. The same thing with MDE. Maybe AUA keeps good load factor because is a leisure destination and the connections. About LIM, well.. I am not so sure. With a daily A-321 (Taca), a daily A-319 (LAN), their 5 weekly flight is base mainly on O&D traffic and some european connection given by Santa Barbara. Please anyone feel free to correct me, because I am just speculating in here.

Avianca

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:58 am

Quoting Erikgnoha (Reply 47):
I think they have good numbers on the POS flight because they don't face any competition. The same thing with MDE. Maybe AUA keeps good load factor because is a leisure destination and the connections. About LIM, well.. I am not so sure. With a daily A-321 (Taca), a daily A-319 (LAN), their 5 weekly flight is base mainly on O&D traffic and some european connection given by Santa Barbara. Please anyone feel free to correct me, because I am just speculating in here.

yes for POS is a lot of O&D market but no competition.

AUA is a leisure destination, but the tickets are very high-yield.... I travelled last August for some leiseru and work on the route and the company payed 500 USD + taxes for such a short flight.....

Regarding LIM, yes mainly O&D and some conections, but I do not see any problem with it as

LP passengers are mostly for conections out of LIM, to SCL, EZE and GRU and TA gets a lot of conecting passengers from Europe (LH,AZ,AF etc...) and also conecting passengers from CCS to destinations like SCL,EZE and GRU....

Southamerica

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:03 pm

Don't get your hopes too high guys.

During November, Aeropostal averaged 47% in loads on the CCS-MDE-CCS, which aren't bad, but are far from being ideal.

High local fuel costs, high landing fees and lots of promotional fares make me doubt Aeropostal is making any money to Medellin.

Loads to Bogota have improved as well, but I suspect VH is filling up those planes with extremely low paying passengers, which is a false idea of success.

SA