glacote

Showers To Be Installed In The A380

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:23 am

I came across a wire from reuters relayed by french newspaper
L'Express:

Quote:
Les A380 sont équipés de 18 cabinets de toilettes et des douches peuvent être installées, une option prise par plusieurs compagnies aériennes

which translates to:

Quote:
The A380 feature 18 restrooms as well as showers - an option ordered by several airlines

Three questions cross my mind then:
1) is this true? I would guess so (why not?).
2) who are the "several airlines"? I would guess SQ, perhaps LH, not AF. Conditioned on (1) that is.
3) Is it a really worthwile amenity?

My point is that although a shower cabin may be a valuable way of using otherwise-unoccupied space in the A380 floor plan it requires a significant weight increase.

It is unclear to me that premium PAX (international first) value a shower in the aircraft more than a spa service at the lounge. I don't know the schedule of the Kangaroo route hence can't tell whether this would spare time at arrival or not.

What do you think?

KFLLCFII

RE: Showers To Be Installed In The A380

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting Glacote (Thread starter):
What do you think?

That's alot of water to be toting around...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

EI321

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 1):
What do you think?

Water can be recycled. Bruce Dickonson tried out such a shower design in the Flying heavy metal series. I think it was designed as part of the original 7e7 concept and only used a few litres of water. Maybe Airbus has a similar one?

[Edited 2007-01-27 19:36:13]

ehrbear

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:38 am

Hmm, do you want to be next in the shower with "recycled" water? The mind boggles... Wink Big grin

CV580Freak

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:39 am

Knowing my luck I would just be lathering up when we hit clear turbulence and I end up on the ceiling ...............

Other than that I'd have soap in my eyes when the seatbelt sign go on  Smile
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

EI321

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting Ehrbear (Reply 3):
Hmm, do you want to be next in the shower with "recycled" water?

Theres nothing wrong with it. Some modern homes use water recycling systems, it comes out 100% clean through filtiration.

SA7700

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:46 am

What do you think?

I expect them to go the same way the piano bars went on the early 747's...out the door. Personally I would not use the facilities, if installed on the plane, if it did not at least offer me the same comfort of existing private shower rooms in the departure-and arrival lounges of some airlines at some airports. Where do you draw the line? How much space is going to be used for the shower facilities? How much water are you going to have to fly around? Even if the water can be recycled, how practical is it going to be? Just my  twocents 

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

ehrbear

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:47 am

Indeed they do. I was justing having a wee bit of fun. Of course, look at the International Space Station. There is a great example of water recycling - technology that makes its way down to us.
All the best,
D.

MaidensGator

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:51 am

Many passengers will probably want to shower after they get out of the pool....

Seriously, how many people would have access to the showers? Would there be a time limit? I've known people that could use up all the hot water in a hotel. I'd hate to see how fast they'd go through the available water on a plane.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

EI321

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:53 am

Quote:

An early project for the centre is an airworthy shower for an unnamed A380 operator. The shower will have a seatbelt-equipped seat located outside the wetted area but inside the private enclosure for use in case of turbulence.

http://www.shephard.co.uk/Inflight/d...84810f-c696-4e4c-92be-ef6e34944a7a

http://www.dasell.com/interiors/aircraft-interiors.html

[Edited 2007-01-27 19:57:06]

squared

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 8):

Seriously, how many people would have access to the showers?

Probably just those sitting in First Class. With most airlines planning only a few F seats, it would probably be feasible for those passengers to take a shower without wasting too much water.

SQuared

legacy135

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:16 am

After a night on an aircraft, regardless if I fly C or F class, I always do appreciate the shower in the lounges very much. If I have a short connection not allowing to shower, I feel awful till I really can get under the water. So having it on the aircraft already could be an enormous step ahead in "comfort of live".

On upper class business jets showers are more or less standard. So if airlines want to attract more of those kind of clients, they indeed need to come up with such equipment as well. Sure, this would be for F class only, as otherwise the increase in weight would just be outrageous.

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

PanAmOldDC8

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:18 am

Quote:
The A380 feature 18 restrooms as well as showers - an option ordered by several airlines

Have fun guys, imagine a drop of 500 ft. You would really be weightless. Hate to see the lawsuits.
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

JayDub

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:20 am

More interesting will be the first drunk guy that takes a shower and decides to go streaking afterwards...
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

c680

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 1):

Bingo. Biggest problem with showers is the weight of the water required to operate them. It's a serious factor on big VIP aircraft like the BBJ.

Quoting EI321 (Reply 2):
Water can be recycled.

YUCK!!!!  Wow!  crazy   drool   no   yuck   ill 

Somehow that takes away from the glamour of quality travel!
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

BR076

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting C680 (Reply 15):
Quoting EI321 (Reply 2):
Water can be recycled.

YUCK!!!! Wow! crazy drool no yuck ill

Somehow that takes away from the glamour of quality travel!

Quoting EI321 (Reply 5):
Theres nothing wrong with it. Some modern homes use water recycling systems, it comes out 100% clean through filtiration.

Smile
ú

ehrbear

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:40 am

Thank you JayDub for your response! I laughed so hard, I almost wound up with recycled water on the floor! Big grin

bravogolf

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:41 am

The BBJ has a shower now and it is a filtration system.

Robbie86

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting CV580Freak (Reply 4):
Knowing my luck I would just be lathering up when we hit clear turbulence and I end up on the ceiling ...............

Yeah, what if that happens? Not you in person. Kind of a nice sue that will be  Smile

ptugarin

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 9):
he shower will have a seatbelt-equipped seat

I can't imagine sitting down in a seat that sees a dozen of bare butts per flight  Smile

c680

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting BravoGolf (Reply 18):
The BBJ has a shower now and it is a filtration system.

You learn something new every day! When we looked at the BBJ 5 years ago, there was some discussion around the office about how many water tanks would be required. Thanks for the info!
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

AC787

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:57 am

This would make joining the mile high club a bit more interesting though

mikester540

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:05 am

Water can be recycled. Bruce Dickonson tried out such a shower design in the Flying heavy metal series. I think it was designed as part of the original 7e7 concept and only used a few litres of water. Maybe Airbus has a similar one?

the Bruce Dickinson?
We need men who can dream of things that never were. -John F. Kennedy

B4REAL

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:11 am

Hmm, do you want to be next in the shower with "recycled" water? The mind boggles...

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 8):
I'd hate to see how fast they'd go through the available water on a plane

Nothing that chlorine and filtration can't handle.

The hot water concerns are also not a concern. There are systems that are instant heaters which are more efficient from an inventory standpoint.

My concerns are:

-Safety - Do you go back to your seat in a towel in really rough air?

-Availability - Depeding on configuration, would everyone want the shower in the last 15% of a long flight - i.e. - lines and making the plane smell like a locker room.

-Comfort - Probably won't be space abound.

-Water pressure - Not the most comfortable situation.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

jacobin777

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting Mikester540 (Reply 23):
the Bruce Dickinson?

the Bruce Dickinson!  bigthumbsup 

"Up the Irons!"

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:27 am

My first experience with a shower on an airplane came in the mid 80's. I was asked to source a new seal to stop a leaky shower head on King Hussein's TriStar.

baron95

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:59 am

Weren't they going to put gyms on the A380?

If you have a gym, and someone actually use it in flight, then you would need a shower .

Isn't SG and VS going to have enclosed first class cabins? So if you are travelling with your____________ for ____ hours you will have __, and after having ____ you will take a shower .
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

EI321

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting Ptugarin (Reply 19):
Quoting EI321 (Reply 9):
he shower will have a seatbelt-equipped seat

I can't imagine sitting down in a seat that sees a dozen of bare butts per flight

Heres details of shower designs by the company that makes Airbus lavoratorys:

http://www.dasell.com/interiors/vip-shower-cabin.html

http://www.dasell.com/interiors/shower-cabins.html

http://www.dasell.com/interiors/shower-det-1.html

Quote:

Shower Cabins
Fixing the shower cabins to the floor area of the aircraft is done either via the seat tracks or via hard points which are integrated into the structure of the floor framework. The upper connection to the aircraft's fuselage is accomplished via mountings and tie rods attached to the shower cabins.
"Round shower cabins are available in two standard diameters, 870mm and 970mm. Both versions" can be build to customer specifications with a variety of fittings. Each cabin is equipped with central drainage suction exhaust and a variable combination of handle and compartment for hygienic article. The shower cabin interior is painted "with lacquer and varnish", while the exterior is made to match the surrounding conditions. A non-slip surface, which minimizes the danger of slipping, is integrated into the floor tub. Overflow drains are also part of the tubs.The provisions for Lighting are integrated into the ceiling next to the provisions for an air-/steam exhaust system.
Both cabins can be build to customer specifications with a variety of fittings. Each cabin is equipped with central drainage suction exhaust and a variable combination of handle and compartment for hygienic article.
The shower cabin interior is painted, while the exterior is made to match the surist ing conditions. A non-slip surface, which minimizes the danger of slipping, is integrated into the floor tub. Overflow drains are also part of the tubs.The provisions for Lighting are integrated into the ceiling next to the provisions for an air-/steam exhaust system.

PanAmOldDC8

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:12 am

Quoting B4real (Reply 23):
Nothing that chlorine and filtration can't handle.

Imagine a leak and the damage that it would cause the the metal in the aircraft as well as the avionics if it got through there
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

Morvious

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:17 am

Hmm, do you want to be next in the shower with "recycled" water? The mind boggles...

What do you think the average person drinks these days? You guys realy think it is all fresh spring water?

It's water for fressing up. The recycling systems do their job fine!

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 12):
Have fun guys, imagine a drop of 500 ft. You would really be weightless. Hate to see the lawsuits.

Why do people always want to sue someone? What if the seatbelt sign goes off and I want to strech my legs and we drop 500ft? I don't see the difference. They do not force you to take that shower, do they?

I think it is a great feature for buisnis people that have a meating 50 minutes after landing. Instead of showering after landing they can do it just before just to safe another 20 minutes to relax.
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

Skydrol

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 5):

*IF* the filters are replaced and drains, pumps and lines cleaned on a routine basis.

Theoretically "potable" water carried in the tanks of an aircraft should be safe for drinking if the airlines maintained the tanks, lines and filters properly. But we know how well that has been done, so why should recycled showers be any better?

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

justloveplanes

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 am

I remember some old RV designs from the late 60's (Ford Econonline Converted Vans to be exact) that combined the lavatory and the shower in one unit. There was a drain on the floor and a hose and everything was plastic. Don't know how well it worked.

moek2000

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:12 am

First of all, recycled water is what we drink out of the tap thesedays and there's nothing wrong with it.

Second of all, this idea of installing showers seems like a bad idea.
It's a matter of convenience, but it seems like there's more cons than pros.

If some airlines do decide to install these things, they should take these things into consideration:

1. Limit the number of showers to 20 per flight (depending on flight length, distance)

2. Make it a first come first serve basis and give passengers the option to reserve a shower during flight reservations until the maximum of 20 is reached

3. Do it the "ryanair way" and charge $10 for showers (for all classes of service and more $25 for economy)

I'm not a big fan of airlines charging people for service (drinks, food, etc.) but this is the only scenario where I see charging people for showers is beneficial.

Otherwise, there could be a huge line for showers as people would want to experience what it feels like to shower 30,000 feet above. Or do something unique and be able to brag about it to their friends/family.

agill

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting Moek2000 (Reply 32):
Or do something unique and be able to brag about it to their friends/family.

Mile high club in a shower you mean  Smile

Dougloid

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:20 am

Back when I worked for Garrett in the early eighties we installed a shower in the master suite on the Aramco B707 we outfitted for them. Part of the kit was 700 gallons of potable water storage in stainless steel tanks mounted off the underside of the floor beams in the aft cargo compartment.

so it's doable. Whether one wants to bathe in somebody else's recycled bathwater is questionable, even if you get it at a discount. One would wonder at what cost, though. The kind of equipment you'd need to recycle bath water in flight and make it sanitary for immediate use by the next customer is kind of an unknown quantity but it couldn't be easy or lightweight. Plus you'd have to carry a minimum quantity of potable water to bankroll the system anyway....
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

LimaNiner

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:06 pm

Of course you can install showers on (VIP) planes, but those showers are used by at most 1-3 people per flight. This means less water has to be carried, and less cleaning has to be done.

On a commercial jet, showers seem uncompetitive compared to arrivals lounges outfitted with the most amazing amenities and materials, because arrivals lounges don't have to be weight-conscious.

I'll never understand why people want to outfit airplanes with all sorts of "luxurious" amenities that are better suited for land-based facilities. I'd prefer a pre-takeoff 5-star meal in the departure lounge (instead of something heated up on-board in an oven/microwave), followed by a snooze in a lie-flat bed and a nice bottle of wine. I guess a movie and some tunes might be nice, but not necessary...

HikesWithEyes

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:08 pm

Les A380 sont équipés de 18 cabinets de toilettes et des douches peuvent être installées, une option prise par plusieurs compagnies aériennes

My french is rusty, but I think "peuvent' means could rather than will have,
so this is just a "pipe" dream anyway.
First, benzene in my Perrier, and now this!

EvilForce

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:22 pm

Quoting LimaNiner (Reply 35):
I'll never understand why people want to outfit airplanes with all sorts of "luxurious" amenities that are better suited for land-based facilities. I'd prefer a pre-takeoff 5-star meal in the departure lounge (instead of something heated up on-board in an oven/microwave), followed by a snooze in a lie-flat bed and a nice bottle of wine. I guess a movie and some tunes might be nice, but not necessary...

Excellent points. I have showered in many of the club lounges before long flights and it's quite nice. Seems like a lot of hassle for something an airline could do much better on the ground for 1/10 the cost.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

asteriskceo

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting Ptugarin (Reply 19):
I can't imagine sitting down in a seat that sees a dozen of bare butts per flight

So you sh*t with your pants on in public restrooms?

zippyjet

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:43 pm

It is unclear to me that premium PAX (international first) value a shower in the aircraft more than a spa service at the lounge.

Why not feature both? With many first class business/pleasure travelers;
time is a valued commodity. Therefore, arriving fresh, clean and smelling good is a plus. Spa services could fetch added profit. Shower facilities would probably take less space. Remember, the 380 is either going to be a luxury
cruise ship with wings or, a stack em and pack em high density bird.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

ptugarin

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:19 pm

Quoting Asteriskceo (Reply 38):
So you sh*t with your pants on in public restrooms

Never sit down on public toilets. Not even on airplanes. I don't even wanna know what could this shower seat belt be running across.

aircanada014

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Thats not a bad idea however considering the weight factor? How much water will it require to carry if its going to be recycled meaning what is the volume of the water cause its going to be damn heavy if they want say example 1000 gallons. If you can picture a fish tank approx 5 feet long, two feet high and 18inches wide thats roughly 112 gallon tank. I was been told the weight of that water inside the 112 gallon tank is roughly 5000lbs.
What do you think?.. I own a saltwater tank and its 112 gallon tank.

A350

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Hmm, do you want to be next in the shower with "recycled" water?

Remembers me to what I heared on my last Etihad flight in summer 2011:
"Dear passengers, this is captain Miller speaking. We are now flying a few circles through the clouds in order to to collect the water for the showers. Please queue up now since we'll have to close the quesue once the cloud is empty. Have a nice shower."

Cheers

A350

cba

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting JayDub (Reply 13):
More interesting will be the first drunk guy that takes a shower and decides to go streaking afterwards...

LOL! That'd make my day.

1. Limit the number of showers to 20 per flight (depending on flight length, distance)

2. Make it a first come first serve basis and give passengers the option to reserve a shower during flight reservations until the maximum of 20 is reached

3. Do it the "ryanair way" and charge $10 for showers (for all classes of service and more $25 for economy)

I'm not a big fan of airlines charging people for service (drinks, food, etc.) but this is the only scenario where I see charging people for showers is beneficial.

checkmark 

lostturttle

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:39 pm

First of all, recycled water is what we drink out of the tap thesedays and there's nothing wrong with it.

Maybe thats the way your water is, but mine comes from the rain which is collected on our roofs, then stored in tanks under our houses. My tank is small just over 10,000 gallons. Some houses here have over 50,000! Bermudians have been doing this for almost 400 years and unless the rain is bad........

I have never understood this increasing need to put a luxury hotel in the air. For what? a 8 to 12 hour flight! Sorry with all the talk of saving fuel, I am curious just how much these 1st class cabins actually weigh? Give me a comfortable seat (business class) with some decent leg room at a reasonable price and good service.

Dougloid

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:45 pm

Quoting Lostturttle (Reply 44):
Maybe thats the way your water is, but mine comes from the rain which is collected on our roofs, then stored in tanks under our houses. My tank is small just over 10,000 gallons. Some houses here have over 50,000! Bermudians have been doing this for almost 400 years and unless the rain is bad........

I've got friends in Kentucky and they have cisterns as well because they live in the country where there's no city water and it's all solid limestone and well drilling's frightfully expensive. There's no finer example of "garbage in, garbage out" especially if there's a resident population of crows in the neghborhood.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

bravogolf

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting Aircanada014 (Reply 41):
r

Quoting Aircanada014 (Reply 41):
Thats not a bad idea however considering the weight factor? How much water will it require to carry if its going to be recycled meaning what is the volume of the water cause its going to be damn heavy if they want say example 1000 gallons. If you can picture a fish tank approx 5 feet long, two feet high and 18inches wide thats roughly 112 gallon tank. I was been told the weight of that water inside the 112 gallon tank is roughly 5000lbs.
What do you think?.. I own a saltwater tank and its 112 gallon tank.

Fresh water weighs about 8.34 pounds per gallon. Salt water weighs about 8.56 pounds per gallon. For a very rough calculation figure tank and water about 10 pounds per gallon.

glacote

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting HikesWithEyes (Reply 36):
My french is rusty, but I think "peuvent' means could rather than will have,
so this is just a "pipe" dream anyway.

Hence my emphasis on the other part of the sentence that you left out.

cjh2007

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:54 pm

I think shower on board would be a useless gadget, and a waste of space, especially for first class passengers who can enjoy these amenities as soon as they are on the ground... may it be in the arrivals lounge or the Hotel...
Is it the kerosene, or is it just me...

iad51fl

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 am

If not for passengers....then a usuable shower for the crew would be nice during those long flights.

Chris
Enjoying the view of KIAH approach end of 27. 29.980548, -95.271201