LifelinerOne
Topic Author

BMI Issues Tender For New Planes

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:28 pm

According to Flight Global, BMI has issued a tender for 20 new planes.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...or-20-aircraft-and-20-options.html

However, the airline refuses to specify the tender.

Anyone out there having more information?

Cheers!  wave 
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

gkirk

RE: BMI Issues Tender For New Planes

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:48 pm

20 EMB 190s for BMI Baby apparently
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

SQno1

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 1):
20 EMB 190s for BMI Baby apparently

And still no additional long haul aircraft for further intercontinental expansion!

Alex

[Edited 2007-01-29 11:09:50]

gkirk

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting SQNo1 (Reply 2):
And still no additional long haul aircraft for further intercontinental expansion!

5 Saab 340ERs  Wink  duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

EGBJ

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Maybe some NG 737's for WW aswell??

theginge

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Guess that would be in addition to the aircraft they would gain if they buy BMED!!!!!!

LifelinerOne
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting SQNo1 (Reply 2):

No, and they apparently don't need it either as they are leasing out one A330 to Virgin Nigeria...

Cheers!  wave 
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

StarGoldLHR

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:46 pm

I think Schabak and Schuco are in the bidding.

Gemini Jets have tendered in the large aircraft category stating that their models are 1:400 not 1:500 and can therefore offer more weight.

There is a rumour Corgi may even re-enter the aviation arena with an entirely new design for bmi.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

carledwards

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 7):
I think Schabak and Schuco are in the bidding.

Gemini Jets have tendered in the large aircraft category stating that their models are 1:400 not 1:500 and can therefore offer more weight.

There is a rumour Corgi may even re-enter the aviation arena with an entirely new design for bmi.

hehe  Smile

Maybe they can commission schabak to make the real jets!
Directoria

TriStar500

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:19 pm

Schabak is bankcrupt BTW.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

StarGoldLHR

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:01 pm

Personally I was quite surprised BMI was able to sell all those StarJets models on their flights to need a new batch so soon.

seriously though, I assume 20 jets is for bmi baby to replace the 737s ?
However is bmibaby seriously that healthy, they appear to be eaten alive where ever they go and with bmi themselves flying lots of empty aircraft from LHR, RJ's would seem like sense from LHR, and give baby the A320's but a waste of slots in reality.

Is this the long awaited large aircraft order to make a serious go of it ? - I think not, the baby 737-300s are quite old, and they have 19 to replace.

so it looks like baby is going for the small ERJs to replace the 737's, but is there any "regional" airlines making money on even smaller subsidiary airlines using solely ERJ's ?.

Maybe they might go commonality and get a combi fleet of A318-A320 ? - that would make a bit more sense
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

lovinitflyboy

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:39 am

from what i understand, the 20 aircraft are for bmi mainline, not Baby, or regional. plus an option for a further 20.

Humberside

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:48 am

If these aircraft are for baby its quite clear there are no plans for baby to grow in the near future. 20 aircraft for 19 larger ones

Personally I hope they are for mainline. If it was a ERJ-190/5, it would be ideal for routes like LHR-LBA/MME/ABZ/HAJ. I guess further A320 family aircraft would be possible or even new long haul aircraft
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Rainmaker

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 10):
but is there any "regional" airlines making money on even smaller subsidiary airlines using solely ERJ's ?.

Republic holdings in the US notwithstanding, Flybe is apparently very eager to introduce their new EMB190´s asap. They must think these jets make sense to their business plans.

BestWestern

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 6):
No, and they apparently don't need it either as they are leasing out one A330 to Virgin Nigeria

Really - are they shrinking to two aircraft? I have heard rumours that all long haul aircraft may be gone by the end of the year, but wasnt expecting it so soon.

Quoting Lovinitflyboy (Reply 11):
from what i understand, the 20 aircraft are for bmi mainline, not Baby, or regional. plus an option for a further 20

No - the airline hasnt stated which AOC its for. If its ERJ's - could we see a merging of Regional and Baby?

Quoting Humberside (Reply 12):
If these aircraft are for baby its quite clear there are no plans for baby to grow in the near future. 20 aircraft for 19 larger ones

Bmi will be sold before any of this happens anyway - but the 733's are the obvious aircraft to be replaced.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

lovinitflyboy

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 14):
No - the airline hasnt stated which AOC its for

Just the was it was worded in the compant magazie! Sorry if i got that wrong!!

purplebox

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 14):
Really - are they shrinking to two aircraft? I have heard rumours that all long haul aircraft may be gone by the end of the year, but wasnt expecting it so soon.

Yes it's true..

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © A J Best

PurpleBox
Next Flights:LHR-BOG,BOG-GYE,MDE-BOG-PTY,PTY-BOG-CTG,SMR-BOG-LHR - all on AV

BestWestern

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting PurpleBox (Reply 16):
Yes it's true..

So... what routes are going, or are they keeping the 763 for the summer.

Bmi - the airline that continues to amaze.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

ZKOJH

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:08 am

so whats happening with the cabin upgrades then on the a330's which were ment to be done by march. looks like bmi are going in for a complete change again!!
Vietnam time..

purplebox

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 17):
So... what routes are going, or are they keeping the 763 for the summer.

...maybe they don't even know themselves...

PurpleBox.
Next Flights:LHR-BOG,BOG-GYE,MDE-BOG-PTY,PTY-BOG-CTG,SMR-BOG-LHR - all on AV

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:44 am

Whats the status on the A321s - are they still being gotten rid of?
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

StarGoldLHR

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 20):
Whats the status on the A321s - are they still being gotten rid of?

The A321's are going to be used on a LCY - LHR - Southend shuttle service.

JakTrax

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:59 am

Quoting Stargoldlhr (Reply 21):
The A321's are going to be used on a LCY - LHR - Southend shuttle service.

I do sincerely hope you are not being serious.....  Yeah sure

theginge

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:59 am

Who knows the status of any BMI aircraft at the moment, a lot might depend on how the deal with BMED works!!

timboflier215

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 22):

He can't be - A321s can't operate into LCY. I think the A318 is the largest a/c allowed.

Seriously, bmi needs to be sold so that someone can actually do something truly worthwhile How they can hold 10-15% of the slots at LHR and still not make a proper go of things totally amazes me. Once great, now fast turning into a joke.

lovinitflyboy

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting Timboflier215 (Reply 24):
Once great, now fast turning into a joke.

Thats what happens when you have an accountant running the show!! every corner gets cut to save money and at the same time turning the airline into a Mickey Mouse operation! The airline has been slipping for the past few years and there's no sign of any changes.

Lite

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting Timboflier215 (Reply 24):
Seriously, bmi needs to be sold so that someone can actually do something truly worthwhile How they can hold 10-15% of the slots at LHR and still not make a proper go of things totally amazes me. Once great, now fast turning into a joke.

I think this is where the merger with BMED will be the complete change of strategy for bmi, as I've said in the other post concerning the potential merger. bmi are now well aware that the market they once had as the UK's second airline on shorthaul routes from London, has now been well & truly eroded by a well reorganised British Airways, a more efficient rail network and the arrival of low-cost airlines into their markets. Simply, bmi are needing to find a new strategy, and I think this is coming in the form of operating to destinations that British Airways do not have the cost structure to fly into, or that Virgin Atlantic would not consider as they are not "glamorous" enough or would be best suited to their long range 4-engined aircraft. bmi will fill a niche on medium-haul flights, and to more obscure long-haul destinations out of LHR. I think originally this can be easily achieved with the fleet they have (and will acquire from BMED) but in the future, they will have to expand to use the slots the best way they can.

bmi regional on the other hand, have an excellent product as a business airline from the regions, and think they have a potentially successful future flying high-yielding routes with the kind of service that made people want to fly British Midland. The ERJ-145 seems perfect for their routes, though as more airlines move towards more economic turboprops (no chance bmir will follow suit as they like to be the "all-regional-jet-airline") or larger aircraft, then bmi regional will have to address this. bmibaby has an important role to play themselves, being one of the larger carriers at BHX, EMA and CWL. The airline seems chronically underfunded which makes them an easy target for other low-cost airlines to come into their markets and trample all over them. I can either see an investment in bmibaby to strengthen their position, a merger with bmi regional or the bmibaby arm to be sold to an expanding LCC to fund the other two companies.
LCC Lover Lite

Humberside

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:53 am

Personally I dont think regional and baby would be a good fit. I doubt bmi could offer the same product on ABZ-Esjberg and NEMA-ALC and be successful. Both airlines serve different markets.

IMO, baby should be sold and the funds used to expand mainline and regional. As I said earlier, some EMB-170/190's would be great for routes like LHR-MME and some of the more popular regional routes. Some more A330's would also be good, for niche long haul routes
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

aerokiwi

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting Lite (Reply 26):
I think this is where the merger with BMED will be the complete change of strategy for bmi, as I've said in the other post concerning the potential merger.

Very interesting analysis, Lite. I suspect you're right, but does BMI Regional maintain a high standing in the business community?

Lite

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 27):
Personally I dont think regional and baby would be a good fit. I doubt bmi could offer the same product on ABZ-Esjberg and NEMA-ALC and be successful. Both airlines serve different markets.

To an extent, I agree, but just under five years ago, it used to work perfectly like that in the regions under the British Midland Commuter brand. Using aircraft from the Saab 340 up to the Fokker 100, the airline had an excellent two-class product, competitive (for the time) fares and a range of amenities to attract the business traveller. Considering that bmi now have three head offices (Donington Hall for mainline/charter, Tiny Town for bmibaby and Aberdeen for bmi regional) three AOCs and a plethora of aircraft types, just to simplify this down to two would make a lot of sense. Surely a new bmi regional could maintain a decent business class service, and a no-frills economy cabin on the bulk of their routes, also bringing in a number of the benefits which would encourage people to fly bmi over other low-cost airlines such as Star membership or a frequent flyer program. Maybe those days are gone, but selling bmibaby to a competitor, would obviously create stronger competition if bmi regional wanted to re-enter some of those markets.
LCC Lover Lite

Strathpeffer

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting Lite (Reply 29):
but does BMI Regional maintain a high standing in the business community?

I understand BMI Regional has a fairly reasonable reputation up here in ABZ, where they haul around a lot of oil related people. I myself have not sampled the product, but have been greatful for the competition on ABZ - MAN routes to keep BACONs fares reasonable.

I've also made three return trips to BHX on BMI Baby's new service - every one was packed and all were less than £60 return (about 50% of the rail fare, or 70% of BA's cheapest fare).

This route is undergoing some interesting changes at the moment as FlyBE are starting soon, though I notice that any mention of the five daily EMB 195 rotations promised in their literature has dissappeared. They have only scheduled 2 services a day but no doubt this is related to the take-over of BACON who have 3. At the moment FlyBE is quoting fares wildly in excess of Baby's - they never seem to be that cheap after tax, insurance and surcharges have been added.

After several appalling experiences on BA in Nov/Dec, BMI really won't have to work too hard to get my custom - a feeling shared my many others I work with. Long live BMI Group, even if their strategies remain a little confused!  boggled 

PJ
Another Technical Problem?

BMED

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 28):
BMI Regional maintain a high standing in the business community?

I've been on regional a number of times and they have a nice product. 2 Cabin crew between 49 people which means the service is fast. Its nice to get a small snack and drink now on a short haul route. Also the fares arn't anymore expensive then mainline if you book at the right time but your getting that slightly higher standard of service.

Quoting Strathpeffer (Reply 30):
At the moment FlyBE is quoting fares wildly in excess of Baby's - they never seem to be that cheap after tax, insurance and surcharges have been added.

I've just booked some relatives flights from MAN-SOU on flybe in late august and some of the fares for then were so high. Luckly I found ones that you only pay the taxes and charges but they were still a lot thanks to a mr. brown.

I feel a bit sorry for the BMED crew who could end up doing short haul routes and earning less when they have been use to longer flights but I wonder which brand will be kept? I'm guessing bmi but maybe they could up date their uniform a bit as the current one seems a bit plain, well, all blue.

Also I hope that the aircraft order is ERJ's for regional and we see them taking on more domestic flights and some out of LHR. I'm surprised they didn't put a ERJ on the JER-LHR route.

[Edited 2007-02-01 14:54:47]
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

JoFMO

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting Lite (Reply 26):
think this is where the merger with BMED will be the complete change of strategy for bmi, as I've said in the other post concerning the potential merger

I still can't find any confirmation for this rumor. Can somebody give me a link?

BestWestern

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting Lite (Reply 29):
just to simplify this down to two would make a lot of sense

Or, like everyone else - down to one - and thats why the ERJ 170 - 190 would suit both BMIR, Baby and Mainline...

But, isnt this all just conjecture - Bmi wont be around in 5 years. As a BD*G, I find it all very sad.

jasond

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 17):
Bmi - the airline that continues to amaze.

Damn straight. Long haul routes being dropped plus the Paris situation and just when you have figured them out then comes this. Either they are on the path to self destruction or a cleverly thought out reengineering of the business strategy, you decide.

StarGoldLHR

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 28):
Very interesting analysis, Lite. I suspect you're right, but does BMI Regional maintain a high standing in the business community?

Outside of London .. yes.. but BMI regional isnt going to fill an A320.
BMED nameI assume will fade into memory, as BMI arent going to fly to the middle east under a BA banner ? And BMED is unknown to the outside world they would be better incorporating it into bmi's name.

AIR MALTA

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 35):
BMED nameI assume will fade into memory, as BMI arent going to fly to the middle east under a BA banner ? And BMED is unknown to the outside world they would be better incorporating it into bmi's name.

I still can't believe BA is going to let BMED slip away. Remember BA was always there to buy other UK airlines like BCAL, Air Europe, Air Manx and Brymon for varions reasons (Slots at LHR or killing competion). Here BA is going to hand routes and money to a rival airline as well as valuable slots at LHR!!!!
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Lite

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:04 am

Press release now confirming the purchase of BMED by bmi

bmi acquires control of British Mediterranean

release date: 02/02/2007

British Midland plc announces that it has acquired control of the Heathrow-based BA franchise airline British Mediterranean (BMED). British Midland is the group holding company of bmi and has subscribed to approximately £30 million of new shares in BMED.

bmi’s chairman Sir Michael Bishop, chief executive officer Nigel Turner and deputy chief executive officer Tim Bye have been appointed to the BMED board with immediate effect. David Richardson will retain his position as chief executive reporting directly to Nigel Turner. All existing non-executive directors of BMED have today resigned their positions.

Nigel Turner, chief executive officer of the bmi group, said: “Bringing BMED into the bmi group creates a business with a turnover in excess of £1 billion with substantial growth opportunities. The acquisition enables the bmi group to accelerate its strategy of expansion into medium-haul markets. BMED operates to 17 destinations in 16 countries and has no overlap with any current bmi route. Many of these destinations have restricted access to the market due to existing bi-lateral agreements. Synergies include BMED’s Heathrow base and the fact that it operates IAE engined Airbus A320 and 321 aircraft in a two class configuration.

“BMED has a first class workforce and they will be welcomed into the bmi group and we look forward to working with them to rebuild the business after some difficult times over the past few months. In the short term we plan for the business to continue to operate as it does today with no immediate changes to network or structure. A comprehensive review of the business will take place over the next 30 days.”

An agreement has been reached with British Airways that will see the franchise agreement and any other commercial agreements that exist with them continuing for a transitionary period until the end of the summer 2007 timetable
LCC Lover Lite

gayrugbyman

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:14 am

Mioght see some B