burnsie28

NW Ground Family After Kid Has Rash.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:25 am

Quote:
Flying abroad with toddlers can be trying enough, but as a Prior Lake couple found out last week, a child's rash can get you kicked off your flight.
George Victor and his wife, Lian Victor-Tan, said they were stuck in Narita, Japan, for a stressful 24 hours after rashes their 21-month-old twins developed in Singapore caused Northwest Airlines officials to pull them off the flight just before takeoff.

Full story at: http://www.startribune.com/462/story/965722.html

airfoilsguy

RE: NW Ground Family After Kid Has Rash.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:37 am

Northwest screwed up. They should not have been allowed on the plane to begin with. When there gate employees didn't follow policy that just made the flight attendants job harder.

The family had no Japanese currency, and didn't know how to find the U.S. embassy, Victor said.

Ah, how about asking the hotel concierge?

Yeah sure
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

EWRCabincrew

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
The family had no Japanese currency, and didn't know how to find the U.S. embassy, Victor said

For a trained microbiologist, he sure seems a tad aloof in ways to get around in big cities. Common sense should always prevail (mind you for everyone involved in this story).

NW may have dropped the ball late in the game, but you can never be too sure about communicable diseases. Measles and chicken pox can have serious consequences for those who have never had them, especially if they get them as adults.
You can't cure stupid

chuchoteur

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:57 am

possibly contagious kiddie on a long haul flight?

honestly, some people... difficult not to see the rationale behind that decision...

LHRBFSTrident

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:57 am

When I caught chickenpox at 18 years old on a trip to Paris, I called Air France the day before departure to inquire about travel restrictions and they told me I could not be accepted for travel.

Yeah - I was stranded - for 8 days(!); a student so NO spare money, but I didn't run to the press!

Chickenpox can be serious when contracted as an adult and lead to nasty things like sterility - so IMO this family should have made sure they had their ducks in a row prior to travel...

burnsie28

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:18 am

Northwest screwed up. They should not have been allowed on the plane to begin with.

In Singapore the family showed them the prescription for a creame that stated that the rashes were not measles or chicken pox.

Maverick623

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:23 am

The family ... didn't know how to find the U.S. embassy, Victor said.

There's a number inside the passport!!!!!!
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Maverick623

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 5):
In Singapore the family showed them the prescription for a creame that stated that the rashes were not measles or chicken pox.

All they had was a prescription, not a note saying that the rashes weren't contagious.

On another note: Was there no ATM around the hotel?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

ADXMatt

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:25 am

I think NW went above the call by paying the hotel and taxi to the doctor. On the otherhand since it was the 2nd leg and other employees accepted the explaination why was the F/A having them removed? But since we don't have a picture of the "rash" maybe it was worse looking then we are made to believe.

af773atmsp

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:20 pm

I also think the kids shouldn't have been on the plane. It must have been very miserable.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

bps3458

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:25 pm

Another great example why you should always have travel insurance.

sw733

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:27 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 2):
For a trained microbiologist, he sure seems a tad aloof in ways to get around in big cities. Common sense should always prevail (mind you for everyone involved in this story).

As someone who works in a building with several trained scientists, including those with PhDs in microbiology, biology, and chemistry...they have absolutely NO common sense  duck 

lincoln

Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 11):
As someone who works in a building with several trained scientists, including those with PhDs in microbiology, biology, and chemistry...they have absolutely NO common sense

Not exactly the same, but when I worked for a certain state university, we had a saying

"It has to be so simple that even tenured faculty can figure it out"

And that's saying something. I had one PhD (probably about 45-46 years old) flip out on me becasue he couldn't figure out how to use a VCR. As in "insert tape, press the button marked 'play'"

Sigh.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:39 pm

Maybe Prior to Boarding check would have been preffered. Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

DC10extender

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:06 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 2):

I think that it is perfectly understandable that they couldn't find the U.S. Embassy because they are in a country with a foreign language, they had no Japanese currency, and they didn't expect to be there in the first place. Besides, Tokyo is the biggest Metropolitan area in the world and Narita is far from Tokyo.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:25 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 14):
I think that it is perfectly understandable that they couldn't find the U.S. Embassy because they are in a country with a foreign language, they had no Japanese currency, and they didn't expect to be there in the first place. Besides, Tokyo is the biggest Metropolitan area in the world and Narita is far from Tokyo.

Many people at NRT speak English and there is an abundance of help to be had anywhere in NRT. As for finding the nearest US Embassy,

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 6):

There's a number inside the passport!!!!!!

It is found on page 2, under the topic of "Before you travel abroad", paragaph number 1. For US citizens (passport holder and all), info can be gotten from 202-647-5225 or at http://travel.state.gov.

Word of advice to no matter where you are travelling, how often you travel or how savvy you are: Know before you go.

There are numerous ATMs at NRT, as well as currency exchange places. They apparenly had come from SIN, so they had SGD (Singapore Dollars), which is exchangable. They also might have had credit cards.

Yes, NRT is far from Tokyo, but not isolated from the world. When all else fails, ask. My mother travelled with three children as we moved all over the place, English speaking places or not, and she got on just fine.

Having sick children while you travel can be stressful, but at some point common sense has to kick. I mean, they had kids and they somehow made it to Singapore. They must be doing something right.
You can't cure stupid