c72

Which Is It?.............

Thu Jul 20, 2000 3:18 am

I know this a stupid question, I've seen Denver Intl' listed as both DEN and DIA in the airport codes, but which is it, or is it both?

Thanks,
Steve

RE: Which Is It?.............

Thu Jul 20, 2000 3:26 am

Denver Int'l is DEN. My guess is that DIA might have been stapleton(anyone to verify that?)

Thu Jul 20, 2000 3:28 am

The official code is DEN. I have never seen it listed as DIA. When it comes to the FAA or booking flights online, you must specify DEN.

OPNLguy

It's Both...

Thu Jul 20, 2000 3:31 am

Back in the old days when DEN Stapleton was *the* airport, DIA was the ID for the new one under construction.

When Stapleton turned off the lights and made the overnight move to the new airport, the DEN identifier moved too...

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

cedarjet

Thu Jul 20, 2000 3:37 am

I don't think these explanations are quite right. Some cities have an ICAO (organisation that dispenses airport and airline codes, amongst other things) "city code" as well as an airport code. London is LON, New York is NYC, Tokyo is TYO, Paris is PAR. This is usually the case where there is more than one airport. I think the new airport at Denver is DIA - I think I've seen it on luggage labels. DEN is probably the generic code for the city. There are cities with just one active airport that have seperate airport and city codes - Osake is OSA, but the airport is KIX.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

OPNLguy

From The FAA...

Thu Jul 20, 2000 4:03 am

...FAA contractions manual, check it out...

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/LID/A_D.htm
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Thu Jul 20, 2000 7:27 am

The official ICAO code for Dnever Int'l is KDEN. The official IATA code is DEN. DIA is the abbreviation for the airport, Denver Int'l Airport. It's like IAH. The airport is named Houston George Bush intercontinental, but people just say Houston International. DIA is never on luggage tags, it's always "DEN" 99% of the locals say DIA, and the other 1% say Denver Int'l. DIA was derived when they were constructing it so people wouldn't get confused with Stapleton.