LCFreeman49
Topic Author

US And PHL

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:14 am

When did US Airways begin to build up their hub in Philadelphia? I have been tryiong to find some information about it on the web but can't seem to find anything out.

Charles
Thanks For Flying with Delta....

jcavinato

RE: US And PHL

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:37 am

Part of it was the space left by Eastern Airlines when it went out. Too, being the 5th largest city in the country at the time it was an opportunity to tap into that market bigger than anyone else at the time.

whappeh

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 am

I could be wrong, but the basic idea of the hub that is there now came around the same time has Wolf?
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

LCFreeman49
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:09 pm

thanks guys...

Is the PHL Hub Profitable? I have not seen the numbers.

I still cannot believe they pulled out of PIT, that airport is awesome and it seemed like traffic moved well there without hte delays of PHL.
Thanks For Flying with Delta....

Molykote

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting LCFreeman49 (Reply 3):
I still cannot believe they pulled out of PIT, that airport is awesome and it seemed like traffic moved well there without hte delays of PHL.

Nobody with at least 2 of their 5 senses would tell you otherwise. I believe the PHL decision simply came down to O/D numbers and profitability. I believe PIT remains heavily underused at this point (although it's been a while since I've flown through it).

I find it a bit sad really. Although PHL has been widely acknowledged to be much more profitable than PIT, I always enjoyed the airport and my flights on US during the PIT heyday. During high school (late 1990s) I'd skip school to hang out at the PIT airport (I guess I am a loser!). I haven't paid much attention to the status of PIT lately.

I have never seen a major airport run so smoothly as PIT during its time as the center of US operations. (No source for this, just my personal experience gained from burning my dad's FF miles when I was in high school.)
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

whappeh

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:35 pm

well there without hte delays of PHL.

My father who has flown International from both PIT and PHL said he loved PIT, you'd pull off the gate at 8:00, be on the runway at 8:05 and be in the air by 8:10. PHL he says you pull off the gate the first time at 8, return to the gate at 8:05, leave the gate the second time at 8:15, sit on the taxiway till 8:45, arrive on the runway at 8:50 and be in the air by 8:55... and thats on the good days!
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

HPRamper

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:37 pm

Is the PHL Hub Profitable? I have not seen the numbers.

Extremely. I overheard management saying PHL generated 40% of profits for the entire airline. Now, whether that was pre- or post-merger I do not know.

flyibaby

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 6):
Extremely. I overheard management saying PHL generated 40% of profits for the entire airline. Now, whether that was pre- or post-merger I do not know.

That is correct, and Doug Parker made note of that around last August before the 1 year anniversary and when he announced the PHL management changes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos