eajpecrca

Stupid Itinerary

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:03 am

An organization looking to move its members on the cheap gave me this itinerary for Feb 16-19:

2/16 PHL-DEN-LAS on Frontier.
2/19 LAS-SAN-PHL on HP and US.

The SAN-PHL portion was cancelled and became SAN-IAD-PHL on UA.

Then they realized that the connection would not work and now it's LAS-SAN-DEN-PHL.

How stupid is all this? I've got a mind not to go. 3 flights, leaving at 11 a.m. LAS and arriving in PHL at midnight.

I'm sure there are other stupid itineraries out there? Share?

LASoctoberB6

RE: Stupid Itinerary

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:32 am

i would go just so i can fly. but thats just me......
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

canadianpylon

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting Eajpecrca (Thread starter):
An organization looking to move its members on the cheap gave me this itinerary for Feb 16-19:

2/16 PHL-DEN-LAS on Frontier.
2/19 LAS-SAN-PHL on HP and US.

The SAN-PHL portion was cancelled and became SAN-IAD-PHL on UA.

Then they realized that the connection would not work and now it's LAS-SAN-DEN-PHL.

How stupid is all this? I've got a mind not to go. 3 flights, leaving at 11 a.m. LAS and arriving in PHL at midnight.

Personally, I'd be smiling from ear to ear about this, but then again, I'm one of those freaks that actually LIKES to fly!

The craziest booking I ever saw was one for a trip Las Vegas from Winnipeg. The return routing was LAS-YVR-(red-eye)-YYZ-YWG!! Talk about back-tracking! I may still do it (if I can find it again!)

CanadianPylon
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

phelpsie87

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 1):

checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting CanadianPylon (Reply 2):
Personally, I'd be smiling from ear to ear about this, but then again, I'm one of those freaks that actually LIKES to fly!

I'm with you guys...who cares, enjoy the flight!

sllevin

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:03 am

I enjoy flying, but I can certainly understand the annoyance when it's not something you've planned out or want.

Most organizations I've worked with will only make you take the cheaper connections if it gets you there with 2-3 hours of the one-stop or non-stop itinerary.

My personal rule is that if they'll work with me so I can accrue miles on the airlines I want, then I'll go out of my way. If they won't work with me, then I generally stick them with their own travel policy regardless of how expensive it is to them.

Steve

durangomac

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:07 am

I saw one that was BOI-SLC-DRO on DL ( OO ) then DRO-DEN-BIL on UA ( YV ). This was of course just the going portion of the trip for this gentleman. It would really have been easier to skip the SLC-DRO-DEN legs.

phoenixflyer

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:13 am

I did this to save money so its my own fault but my worst routing was when I went from PHX to NBO. It was PHX-IAH-EWR-LGW-DXB-NBO. DXB was a 15 hour layover. I left the night of the 24th and arrived the night of the 27th.

EFHK

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting Phoenixflyer (Reply 6):
I went from PHX to NBO. It was PHX-IAH-EWR-LGW-DXB-NBO. DXB was a 15 hour layover. I left the night of the 24th and arrived the night of the 27th.

And probably felt just a little bit jet lagged?  rotfl 
One of the best places in the world: McDonald's in T2 at FRA.

eajpecrca

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:04 am

"i would go just so i can fly. but thats just me......"

I enjoy flying too and normally wouldn't mind this but I've got a business to run and every day away at this time of the year costs me money. The trip is for an organization my spouse is involved in and I'm along for the ride! That's what I get for being so accommodating , I guess!

[Edited 2007-01-31 02:05:54]

B4REAL

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:05 am

Those of you whom live in bigger markets may think that such routing is illogical, but for the majority of markets - more bizarre routes are the norm. I've flown:

GRR-ATL-SEA
GRR-ATL-BOS
GRR-EWR-SEA
GRR-MEM-RDU
GRR-MEM-LGA
GRR-DTW-MKE
GRR-DTW-ORD
DCA-MSP-MSN

Small town folk have it worse hombre.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

CV990A

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:10 am

Trying to go from DC to Houston on Continental, they offered me BWI-EWR-CLE-IAH one way, and IAH-TPA-ATL-BWI. I declined these and simply flew BWI-IAH.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

OzarkD9S

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:18 am

This past October I was checking some STL-TPA-STL flights and the cheapest fare was a UA/US combo STL-ORD-IAD-CLT-TPA-DCA-ORD-STL routing that was less than $200, including fees and taxes. I almost took it for the fun of it...but leaving STL and TPA before 7am on both ends was NOT appealing to me.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

BreninTW

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:21 am

I did an around-the-world with an ex one year. We spent 10 days in the UK, and I completed the whole thing in 16 days. The routing was (all CX and AA):

TPE-HKG-LHR-New York-FLL-ATL-DFW-SFO-HKG-TPE (I can't remember if I only flew through JFK, or also used one of the other airports in New York).

The reason why I did it in such a compressed time was to attend a concert here in Taipei -- got back to find out that the concert was canceled!

ejmmsu

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:36 am

My craziest routing was a NW milage run..... CLT-MEM-MSP-LAX 4 hour layover then red-eye LAX-DTW-MSP-CLT

I left at noon on a friday, and got back to CLT at 1:30 pm on a saturday. I then went directly to the Shereton CLT airport and slept from 4pm until 5:30 am
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

PanAm747

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:37 am

Well, you can say you are one of the VERY small number of people who have connected through SAN!!

If you really don't want the itinerary, call the airline. Explain that the original itinerary has changed to one that is "a bit inconvenient". Ask politely if the agent could change your flights to an itinerary that is a bit closer to the original one you had. If you can offer an alternate schedule (including flight numbers and times), you have increased your chances of success.

I have had this situation happen several times. The original bookings were cancelled, and the computer generated a new schedule. Every single time I have called the airline (and a different one each time!!), and every time I have had my schedule changed without charge. Twice with United, once with American, and twice with America West.

Whatever your situation - happy flying!!  cloudnine 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

ptugarin

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:59 am

I've had an itinerary that looked like MHT - IAD - SFO - SAN in order to get from BOS to SAN for cheap, I left home around 5am EST and got to SAN around 7pm PST. I absolutely loved it!

b52murph

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:03 am

While not long-haul, I did EWR-MHT in the days of Independence Air routed the familiar EWR-IAD and IAD-MHT with a 3 hour layover @ Dulles! Might have been fun if I wasn't on a time crunch and did not want to spend the WHOLE DAY travelling.  no 

drerx7

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:06 am

Here are my crazy ones:
BNA-JFK-HOU (B6)
LAS-ATL-IAH (DL)
HOU-DTW-BOS-ZRH-PMI
HOU-MAF-ABQ-LAS-SAN
IAH-EWR(overnight)-SXM
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

lincoln

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:12 am

I didn't actually book it, but once when I was living in So.Cal. and looking at visiting my grandparents (outside of Medford, OR) Alaska's website offered me (as the #1 choice)

LAX-PDX-SEA-PDX-MFR-PDX-SEA-PDX-LAX....

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 14):
Well, you can say you are one of the VERY small number of people who have connected through SAN!!

Yeah! It should be a privelage for you to take that itinerary  Smile

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

EWRCabincrew

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:41 am

Keep in mind certain low fares require very strange and circuitous routings. Companies (and people) to get the lowest fare will find routings all over the place.

Years ago (late 80's), we had a $99 student fare from EWR-SEA. The routing was EWR-CLE-DEN-SEA or EWR-IAH-DEN-SEA. We had students and the like galore on these routings for that price.
You can't cure stupid

KELPkid

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 14):

Haven't flown WN much, I take it...WN connects wherever two flights going where you need to go connect (Wright Ammendment excluded)  spin 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

GulfstreamGuy

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:50 am

Before WN had LIT-LAS nonstop service, I flew LIT-DAL-ABQ-PHX-LAS!! Then I flew LAS-PHX-ABQ-LBB-DAL-LIT!! That was awesome because just like LASOctoberB6 said, I just love to fly! I was flying non-rev but I could have flown on a shorter route but I enjoyed that even more!

GulfstreamGuy
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

DLPMMM

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:51 am

I once flew SAV-ATL-SCL-EZE-POA-FLN in order to get to Florianopolis Brasil on a Delta award ticket (luckly in business class).

JetBlueGuy2006

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:55 am

Same here.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

corey07850

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 am

Some of you guys have some wild trips... My worst was EWR-IAH-MCO during the hurricanes a couple years back...

malaysia

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:09 pm

I turned down a good deal to LAX once, cause I could not stand the risk of my bag eventually being lost.

BWI-CVG-ATL-IAD-LAX on DL, FL, and UA via Travelocity. It was something like 80 dollars though, and sadly a IAD-LAX segment on that particular UA flight was 3-4 times the cost.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

SHUPirate1

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:15 pm

The most bizarre I've ever done is probably a toss-up between PHF-ORF-LGA (was originally PHF-CLT-LGA, but I got VDBed on PHF-CLT, and was rerouted via ORF instead), and an ISP-US-PHL-US-DCA-US-RDU/RDU-UA-IAD-UA-PHL-US-ISP roundtrip with the largest plane I took being a BAe-146. As far as bizarre routes that I've seen, I remember once, on Expedia, seeing the cheapest routing for LGA-IAH around Christmastime one year being LGA-US-DCA-US-MSY-DL-DFW-DL-IAH/IAH-DL-DFW-DL-MSY-US-DCA-US-LGA. Rather than taking that, I decided to hold off about a month or so, and found a UA connection via O'Hare that saved a cool 60 dollars, and as it turned out, I landed a VDB voucher in BOTH directions on the flights from ORD, and of all of the airlines that give out round-trip ticket vouchers for VDBs rather than dollar amount vouchers, United's are probably the easiest (in my experience) to redeem.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

b52murph

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 26):
The most bizarre I've ever done is probably a toss-up between PHF-ORF-LGA (was originally PHF-CLT-LGA, but I got VDBed on PHF-CLT, and was rerouted via ORF instead), and an ISP-US-PHL-US-DCA-US-RDU/RDU-UA-IAD-UA-PHL-US-ISP roundtrip with the largest plane I took being a BAe-146.

Not to get off-topic, but does PHF-ORF beat the SFO-OAK route for shortest scheduled route? I was in that area last week and drove from Newport News to ORF to fly out--it was only a 20 minute DRIVE (no traffic in the tunnel)  Smile

HPAEAA

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:03 pm

when I was working for AA and trying to get home from training, the only route that was avalible to confim was DFW-ICT-ORD-CLE, my boss tried 8 routes to get me home and rev mgt denied all of them... well the inevitable happened and I got stuck in ORD... atleast they paid for the hotel despite the Wx... all I had to do was wake up my station manager at 12:00 am in Cleveland to tell the agent how to process my voucher lol...
Why do I fly???

usa4624

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:25 pm

My personal best 'stupid' itinerary is SLC-PHX-ELP-IAH-AUS on America West.

MaidensGator

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:30 pm

About four years ago I wanted MCO-LGW. VS and BA non-stop were about $750. AA routed me MCO-DFW-LGW for $400.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Chi-town

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:33 pm

My brother had to fly DL ORD-ATL-PHX for his band trip. They left before us and we got to PHX waaay before them. Of course we took ORD-PHX on HP

WesternA318

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:33 pm

Back in 1996, I was looking for tix to Greece from SLC. The intinerary I found and purchased was:

SLC-LAX Delta They even lost my suitcase!
LAX-MEX AeroMexico
MEX-BOG Avianca
BOG-JFK Avianca
LGA-CLE-EWR-FCO Continental
FCO-MXP-ATH Alitalia

The return was

ATH-LHR Olympic
LGW-JFK-STL-SLC TWA

[Edited 2007-01-31 05:37:33]
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

deltairlines

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:45 pm

I've gone from GSO to LAX via ATL, PHX and SLC before (all on DL). Of course, it was a mileage run, so I maximized segments to maximize miles. I've also done GSO-ATL-DFW-SEA before as well.

Jerseyguy

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:46 pm

For Cheaper fares I've done
EWR-CLE-TPA
RSW-CVG-EWR

In order to use a first class upgrade I've done
RSW-GSO-DCA-EWR
(I would have done GSO-EWR but this was back in the days of CO Lite)

Oh and I once did SLC-DEN on F9 then DEN-JFK on B6 the next day, just so I wouldn't have to take the SLC-JFK redeye on B6, I HATE redeyes  Big grin

[Edited 2007-01-31 05:51:40]
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

deltagator

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:31 pm

I once did ATL-PDX-SEA just so I could fly an MD-11 in BizElite on DL. Not really bizarre but didn't need to be done.

Not sure all the guidelines you have to work with but while I don't break travel policy I certainly bend them.

I worked for one company that had a policy stating you must have an 4 hour window on either side of when you want to fly which equates to a full day leeway. I said Hell no to that since I was flying on my time on Sunday nights to get to client sites for first thing Monday morning.

That same company also wanted you to connect if the airfare was $50 or more less than the nonstop. Again I said no way since living in ATL I can fly nonstop almost everywhere in the US and I was yet again flying on my time.

As I have settled down with the wife and now the rugrat I value time at home as much as possible and if that means it costs my company or the clients a little bit more then so be it. If they don't like it or some bean counter throws a hissy fit about it I ask them how would they like to be in my shoes and miss things at home because of some travel policy. They usually get the point after that question.

Ok, semi-rant over.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

scoliodon

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:33 pm

My craziest routing was DFW-EWR-SFO, but tat was bcos hurricane Rita was supposed to hit IAH.

My friend travelled ORD-LAS-BOS and BOS-DEN-ORD
JFK-LGA-EWR-DTW-IND-PHX-CLE-SFO-LAS-SEA-ORD-MCO-MIA-DFW-ATL-CDG-FRA-BOM-MAA-DEL-TRZ-DXB-CLT-CVG-DEN-MSP

HPAEAA

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:39 pm

Quoting Scoliodon (Reply 36):

My friend travelled ORD-LAS-BOS and BOS-DEN-ORD

holy hell lol, you just reminded me of my one routing with HP, it was around Turkey day, and had to get to Boston, so I flew CLE-PHX-BOS to get there positive space... I was worried about getting bumped off the nonstops on CO, and I could only book on the carrier I worked for... anothe one was CLE-BOS-LAX-LAS nonrev.. it was the only way to get there... atleast I got first on 2 of the segments...
Why do I fly???

DL787932ER

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:59 pm

After a few unnecessary routings on, let's say, "non-preferred" airlines, and one time where I threw away the other half of a return ticket from Europe and booked my own return, I've given up letting anyone else book my travel. In most cases it's up to me anyway whether or not I'm paying for it, but if someone else has financial say over my tickets, I'll make them the deal that I'll arrange my own travel and they can reimburse me after the fact for the cheapest fare they could find on the route. One time I actually got reimbursed more than my actual fare by a few bucks because the person who was in charge of booking didn't even bother to look at the airlines' own web sites (and yes, I gave it back).

The worst story I ever heard, though, was sitting next to a girl on an ATL-ORD flight. She was on break from school going from Charlotte to visit her boyfriend in Berlin, and her ATL-ORD segment on AA was cancelled so she was put on DL for that segment. That made her final routing CLT-ATL on US, ATL-ORD on DL, ORD-LHR on AA, a bus or something to STN, STN-THF on FR, and then another bus or something to Berlin, about 24 hours after leaving CLT.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

KELPkid

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:51 pm

Quoting Usa4624 (Reply 29):
My personal best 'stupid' itinerary is SLC-PHX-ELP-IAH-AUS on America West.

You sure you didn't mean WN? Last I checked, ELP only has service on HP to PHX and LAS...unless, of course, this was back in the days when they were a codeshare partner with CO.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

LAXdude1023

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 9):
Small town folk have it worse hombre.

Ill remember that next time I feel like complaining that we at LAX only have 3 nonstops to HKG a day.
It is what it is...

LASoctoberB6

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:27 pm

Quoting Eajpecrca (Reply 8):
I enjoy flying too and normally wouldn't mind this but I've got a business to run and every day away at this time of the year costs me money. The trip is for an organization my spouse is involved in and I'm along for the ride! That's what I get for being so accommodating , I guess!

but dont ya see? thats the thing, ya gotta plan for mishaps!!
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

azstagecoach

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:42 pm

I just finished an MR DCA-EWR-FLL-IAH-SFO. Not too crazy I know, but it was a nice way to make a great big loop around the country  

[Edited 2007-01-31 08:44:03]

777klm

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:46 pm

Continental.com: try to book a flight from AMS to BCN (i thought they would offer KLM flights as well), you'll get: AMS-EWR-BCN
Next flight: AMS - TLV - AMS

turk223

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:04 pm

CO has some absoultely stupid routings come up for PVD-BGI flights (when CO operated EWR-BGI)...

The worst was PVD-CLE, overnight, CLE-EWR and then EWR-BGI. Close to 24 hours and hundreds more expensive than US or AA... And I guess simply overnighting in EWR wasn't bad enough!

And the return BGI-PVD nearly always required an overnight in EWR.

Wonder why CO discontinued that route? Hmmmm...

By the way, looks like DL is up to the same thing for BOS-BGI itineraries... overnighting at ATL on the outbound flight.

Once I was routed PVD-ORD-MIA-BGI on AA. Not too bad but still added about 8 hours to the trip...

FlyDekker

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05 pm

Count me in as one of those guys who would have loved that itinerary!

MSYtristar

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:12 pm

Oh man i've had a lot of crazy routings over the years...

MSY-ORD-DUB-LHR-ORD-MSY (35 hour trip)
MSY-IAD-LAX-SEA-MCO-IAH-MSY (28 hour trip)
MSY-IAH-HNL-IAH-MSY (25 hour trip)
MSY-CLT-SFO-ATL-MSY (20 hour trip)
MCO-DEN-ORD-PVD (15 hour trip)

777MAX

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:50 pm

Well, I also as a person trying to save money (and enjoy the trips) took this insane return trip back home to CCS.

Since DL decided to change flight times without letting me know, I had to go SEA at 5 pm just to clear things up... As soon as I got there, I found out that my flight to IAD departed at 11:45 pm so I had a good 5h45mins to spend in the not so amusing SEA passenger terminal.

Then the "fun" started:

SEA-IAD-JFK(UA)__LGA-ATL-CCS(DL) (I was supposed to depart from JFK to ATL but the flight was oversold so DL sent me to LGA)

I arrived at CCS at 2am on 1/9 and I had departed SEA on 1/7... as you expected, my bags were lost but thankfully they were returned to me untouched.

I did enjoy it =)!

stylo777

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:11 am

I already checked in a man who came from WAW with LO to FRA, than continue to DXB with EK. In DXB transiting to CMN and than continue to DKR.

chuchoteur

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:17 am

Air france offered me a frequent flier miles flight once...

TLS-NTE-CDG-MAN

was almost tempted to accept, then switched to TLS-MAN with BMI...