richierich

Woman Sues JetBlue Over Size Of Sick Sack

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:11 am

I looked for a similar thread but didn't see one...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01312007...rian_and_tatiana_deligiannakis.htm

This sounds like a bunch of crap to me. I'm sure there is a second side to this story! I hope JetBlue fights this tooth and nail (even though they'll probably end up settling out of court...)
None shall pass!!!!

airtran737

RE: Woman Sues JetBlue Over Size Of Sick Sack

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:19 am

What a jerkoff. This skank deserves two things from jetBlue, jack and shit.

filler
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

jetbluefan1

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:21 am

Talk about a pointless case. And $5M? Ridiculous.

JetBluefan1

richierich

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 2):
Talk about a pointless case. And $5M? Ridiculous.

Maybe the judge will throw this crap out? Probably not though....
None shall pass!!!!

DTWAGENT

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 am

Oh Boy whats next.....This is getting to be crazy.

Chuck

durangomac

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:25 am

I would have done the same thing.

I don't think that anybody around this lady would have not been mortified to be next to her during the flight and second because I do know what it's like to clean a plane and one with vomit, it's not fun.

Dtw757

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:25 am

I don't see where it says she is suing over the size of the sick sack, she was thrown off the flight after asking for a sack in case she became ill. Two different things really.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

gigneil

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:27 am

Actually reading the article, I fully side with her.

Whether the article is correct or not, I am unsure.

I am fairly sure none of you above read the article. The woman was deboarded because she was feeling a little sick to her stomach and wanted to be prepared.

NS

Australia1

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:29 am

the American legal system is such a joke. The sooner the sepos take Shakespeare's advice & start shooting all the lawyers, the better off the U.S. will be !!!

What do lawyers do anyway, apart from making work for other lawyers, who in turn make work for other lawyers.

EvilForce

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 9):
the American legal system is such a joke. The sooner the sepos take Shakespeare's advice & start shooting all the lawyers, the better off the U.S. will be !!!

Amen. The US needs to switch over to a system where the loser pays the winners legal fees. This would cut lawsuits by 50% or more overnight.

B.S. lawsuits like this old hag are bringing would be a thing of the past.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

ikramerica

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting DTW757 (Reply 7):
I don't see where it says she is suing over the size of the sick sack, she was thrown off the flight after asking for a sack in case she became ill. Two different things really.

Though it's rarely done, for the safety of the passengers, you can be denied boarding if you are sick. You don't have a right to infect others, though most people don't think about such mundane things as their illness causing hundreds of others to lose days from work since they decided to spread it to them in an enclosed incubator for 3 hours...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LAXdude1023

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:37 am

Wow, Im not sure how I feel about this one. I hate being around sick people, but Im not sure if they should have denied her boarding. Honestly if people have a stomach bug or a stomach virus, they should never be flying. But Im really not sure what the right decision is.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 10):
The US needs to switch over to a system where the loser pays the winners legal fees. This would cut lawsuits by 50% or more overnight.

I am actually in total agreement with this. The settlement shes asking for is crazy.
It is what it is...

BreninTW

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:41 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 8):
The woman was deboarded because she was feeling a little sick to her stomach and wanted to be prepared.

She was deboarded because she told them she had "food poisoning" -- which could have been caused by any number of pathogens, some of which are potentially fatal. In this case, I tend to agree with the airline -- if someone suspects they have some kind of pathogenic "poisoning" they should not be on the flight.

pygmalion

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:43 am

If, during boarding, a pax goes to an FA and says...

"I am going to be throwing up the whole flight. I will need a really big barf bag. I feel really ill but I want to sit next to all those nice people and repeatedly hurl into this sack. But I need a bigger sack."

What FA would not politely ask the pax to deplane and take another flight after they feel better. If I was the airline I would let them reschedule at no cost for a later flight... after they were feeling better. Just good business.

Don't we keep very, very, very pregnant people off airplanes too? and they won't infect anyone.

style

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:46 am

Lets not forget this story is being reported by the NY Post wich is one step above the National Enquirer.

After reading many stories on the NY Post and actually getting the facts later on I realized that anything they say should be taken with a grain of salt.

necigrad

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 am

The ACAA dictates how to handle this situation. she should have been asked for a physicians statement that she was safe to fly, or be deplaned. How does she know it's food poinsning? That's an assumption unless it was diagnosed.

metroliner

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:15 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 11):
Though it's rarely done, for the safety of the passengers, you can be denied boarding if you are sick.

this makes perfect sense to me! why allow a passenger to board who could compromise the health and safety of the others on the plane?

i think she deserves a kick in the arse!
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

ikramerica

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:15 am

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 13):
In this case, I tend to agree with the airline -- if someone suspects they have some kind of pathogenic "poisoning" they should not be on the flight.

For one thing, if she becomes deathly ill in flight, who's going to take care of her? At that age, she might die. Food poisoning routinely kills the very young and the elderly...

If nothing else, it would cause a costly diversion.

Quoting Necigrad (Reply 16):
How does she know it's food poinsning? That's an assumption unless it was diagnosed.

She doesn't. She could have a flesh eating bacteria, a deadly flu virus, or any other various contagious diseases that cause nausea.

Quoting Style (Reply 15):
Lets not forget this story is being reported by the NY Post wich is one step above the National Enquirer.

I think you have that backward. The Enquirer is sometimes 100% right! The Post is never, ever 100% right about anything...  Wink

freakydeaky

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:21 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 1):

Agreed. Buh-bye.
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could."

dsmflyer

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:21 am

Quote:
Plaintiff felt as though she had been accused of being a terrorist...

Come on, are you kidding me? Talk about drama queen. Still, like Style said above, this is the NY Post we're talking about (if people even bothered to read the article). I'd like to read something from another news source before I pull out my "jump to conclusions" mat.

MaidensGator

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:37 am

The sooner the sepos take Shakespeare's advice & start shooting all the lawyers, the better off the U.S. will be !!!

It's obvious you don't know the context of Shakespeare's statement...

Lawyers are like cops; nobody likes them until they need one.... and then they want one in a big hurry...
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

lincoln

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:16 am

Shakespeare's advice & start shooting all the lawyers, the better off the U.S. will be !!

Uhh... That qoute was a reference as the surest way of ending civilization, not fixing it. (Or at least every English teacher I've ever had has said. I've never really been motivated to verify the fact)

The US needs to switch over to a system where the loser pays the winners legal fees. This would cut lawsuits by 50% or more overnight.

In many cases legal fees are awarded to the prevailing party. If fees were automatically awarded, it would have a chilling effect on the justice system because in addition to discouraging friviolus lawsuits (like this one appears to be) it would also discourage people from persuing legitimate disputes for fear of the financial reprocutions. If there is a genuine fact of law at dispute, I feel both parties should be taxed their own costs. This then, though, becomes a very grey area and the law doesn't do grey all that well.

Though I will note that I suspect the venue is improper persuant to the Airline Deregulation Act; and most airlines contracts of carriage give them carte blanche to refuse transportation to those suspected of posing a hazard to other passengers.

Pauses... Googles. Finds. Jet Blue's contract of Carriage (http://www.jetblue.com/p/jetblue_coc.pdf) rule 24 ("Refusal to Transport")

Quote:
The following passengers will be refused transportation on Carrier:

(B) Passengers whose transportation on Carrier is reasonably deemed by Carrier to be inadvisable or inappropropriate due to special cicrumstances or concerns beyond the control of Carrier.

(F) Comfort and Safety -- In the following categories where refusal or removal may be necessary for the comfort or safety of the Passenger(s) or other passengers:
(5) Persons who are known to have a contagious disease
(7) Persons who have an offensive odor...
(10) Persons who have misrepresented a condition which becomes evident upon arrival at the airport and the condition is unacceptable for passage

Oh and finally, who can miss the ALL CAPS part of paragraph G:

Quote:
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL CARRIER BE LIABLE TO ANY PASSENGER OR REFUSED PASSENGER FOR ANY TYPR OF INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES

So she may get whatever it cost to get her home, but there's no way she's getting $5m -- it's in the contract she agreed to.

Lincoln
(Continues to not be a lawyer)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

funflyer

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:30 am

I am inclined to agree. I would be a little upset id that had happened to me.

Although some lawyer's are well, less than respectable, I do know a select few that are good honest people, who just need to make a living.

Lets not forget this story is being reported by the NY Post wich is one step above the National Enquirer

True, but according to The MIB it is the only paper with the "REAL" stories!
Who cares about status?

ABQopsHP

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:57 am

What drama! The article makes it sound like the crew took her by the scruff of the neck and threw her into the jetway. What moron, knowing full well that they are sick, puts themselves in an enclosed environment, with people all around, and expects them to be catered to. So much for common sense and self accountability.
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

aa757first

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting Pygmalion (Reply 14):

Don't we keep very, very, very pregnant people off airplanes too? and they won't infect anyone.

Yes, because we are concerned they are going to go into labor mid-air.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 18):

She doesn't. She could have a flesh eating bacteria, a deadly flu virus, or any other various contagious diseases that cause nausea.

Or maybe she had a bad sandwich.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 22):

(5) Persons who are known to have a contagious disease

I see the word "known" there. She wasn't "known" to have anything. She, whom I assume is a medical layperson, suspected she had food poisoning.

(7) Persons who have an offensive odor...

She didn't have an offensive odor at that time, at least the article doesn't say she did.

AAndrew

S5FA170

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:30 pm

F) Comfort and Safety -- In the following categories where refusal or removal may be necessary for the comfort or safety of the Passenger(s) or other passengers:

That alone makes up for the fact it was not "known" whether or not she had a contagious disease.

I had a little girl once screaming in pain on descent into Mazatlan several months ago. After trying bottled water, getting her to yawn, putting hot towels over her ears - her father finally told me she had laryngitis. I would NEVER have let her on my airplane had I known! I wonder sometimes what some people think...

Either way - you don't want to be at 38,000 feet and needing a hospital. I think jetBlue was perfectly in the right to deny this woman boarding.

My only medical emergency which caused a diversion started with a woman telling me she was nauseas 20 minutes into the flight. It was all downhill from there...
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

MaidensGator

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:37 pm

In many cases legal fees are awarded to the prevailing party. If fees were automatically awarded, it would have a chilling effect on the justice system because in addition to discouraging friviolus lawsuits (like this one appears to be) it would also discourage people from persuing legitimate disputes for fear of the financial reprocutions.

In my state, prevailing party attorneys' fees are only awarded if there is a basis in either a statute or a contract. Many times, if it was not for these provisions, people that have been wronged would not have access to the legal system. In a dispute with a relatively small amount in controversy, the fees can quickly exceed the amount sued upon.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

EvilForce

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:42 pm

In many cases legal fees are awarded to the prevailing party. If fees were automatically awarded, it would have a chilling effect on the justice system because in addition to discouraging friviolus lawsuits (like this one appears to be) it would also discourage people from persuing legitimate disputes for fear of the financial reprocutions.

Exactly! That's what it's supposed to do so that only legitimate legal issues are brought rather than all this frivolous b.s. with lawyers on contingency. Stop that crap cold!
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

timo007

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:32 pm

I was denied boarding in Paris because I was sick. I had a 102 temperature, and was okay with it, as I didn't want to make others sick, and didn't want to pay for taking a flight the next day. I told the GA that I wasn't feeling well and asked not to be sat next to others, she decided to have me be a volunteer because the flight was oversold, so I got 300 euros and a flight the next day.

Cheers,

Timo

ikramerica

Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 25):
Or maybe she had a bad sandwich.

And what was on that sandwich? Assume for a second that it was a contaminated sandwich. Usually, when you throw up, you do it in a toilet, in your bedroom, etc.

On a plane, should could vomit on others. Whatever she had wrong could get on them.

When someone presents with a self-diagnosed disease and warns they may become violently ill, are you saying that that person should be considered healthy? SHE SAID SHE WAS SICK. They didn't assume anything other than she had no diagnoses of what it was making her sick.

If I were on that flight, I would be very happy they asked her not to board. For no other reason than food poisoning is horrible. I've had it, it was the worst thing that ever happened to me, and if it happened during a flight, I would have been so sick they would have had to land the plane!! Seriously, it 's that bad if you really have it. Really, really, really horrible.

At her age, if she felt she was sick with food poisoning, she should have visited a hospital, not an airport...

Dtw757

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:52 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 11):

Though it's rarely done, for the safety of the passengers, you can be denied boarding if you are sick. You don't have a right to infect others, though most people don't think about such mundane things as their illness causing hundreds of others to lose days from work since they decided to spread it to them in an enclosed incubator for 3 hours...

I'm not saying anything about the right to board an aircraft when you are sick. The topic makes it look like she is suing over the physical size of the sick sack when in reality she was denied travel due to the possibility of becoming sick.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

OzarkD9S

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:36 pm

"We find in favor of the plaintiff, and award her $1."
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

loalq

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting Necigrad (Reply 16):
How does she know it's food poinsning? That's an assumption unless it was diagnosed.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

And if it was already diagnosed (and this is a pretty difficult thing to diagnose) how come she was not already walking around with a sick bag???

Tell her to try the "hot coffe on your lap" maneuver next time, it usually works better...
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

VEEREF

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:41 pm

If this woman gets awarded even $1 more than what she paid for the ticket for this I totally give up on this country.
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

mbj2000

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:49 pm

I can imagine worse things, such as very very pregnant woman barfing on you and at the same time ...snakes on the plane!

[Edited 2007-02-01 14:52:40]
Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending -- Bender Unit 22

checksixx

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:51 pm

Whether the article is correct or not, I am unsure.

I am fairly sure none of you above read the article. The woman was deboarded because she was feeling a little sick to her stomach and wanted to be prepared.

NS

Wow...well had you been the 'decision maker' in this case, you could be in for one heck of a rude awakening. Lets just say for a moment, you as the captain, allow her to fly after having told the flight staff she HAS food poisoning and believes fully that she will be ill during the flight. Two senarios here: 1. She gets very ill to the point of causing a disturbance on the aircraft and you have to divert (at the airlines expense) to get her medical treatment. 2. She dies from it and opens you up to be sued by the family for letting her fly after she told you she had food poisoning.

Kind of extreme I know, but bear with me here...if someone told you or if you believed yourself to be poisoned what would be the logical thing to do for your immediate health and welfare? 1. Travel and/or go about your daily routine? or 2. Seek immediate medical attention? I certainly hope it would be number 2.

I fully agree with the decision made and would absolutely support it as the captain or aircraft commander. De-board her for medical reasons. If she seeks medical treatment, thats up to her...but better for HER to have a problem on the ground vs. the air.

-Check

Dtw757

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting Loalq (Reply 33):
Tell her to try the "hot coffe on your lap" maneuver next time, it usually works better...

Watch what you say about that lawsuit. We had a HUGE discussion/arguement about that McDonalds lawsuit in another airline related lawsuit thread. There are people on here that will defend that lawsuit and fight to the death doing it.

richierich

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:29 am

I don't see where it says she is suing over the size of the sick sack, she was thrown off the flight after asking for a sack in case she became ill. Two different things really

You are correct... the NY Post article does not say anything about the size of the barf bag. I was reading a different article - let me see if I can find it again and link to it- that mentioned she was originally given too small a bag.

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 20):
Come on, are you kidding me? Talk about drama queen. Still, like Style said above, this is the NY Post we're talking about (if people even bothered to read the article). I'd like to read something from another news source before I pull out my "jump to conclusions" mat

Keep in mind that she is suing for $5M! I guess she needs a good argument to back up her claim... saying she was made to feel "like a terrorist" is a start.

Quoting Funflyer (Reply 23):

All I am going to say is that we have not heard JetBlue's side of this story and we don't really know how sick she was. I would think that just using a barf bag would not be grounds for removal from the aircraft, so there must be more to it than this. But the airline is (wisely) not going to comment on a on-going legal matter, of course.
None shall pass!!!!

SpencerII

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:37 am

I see nothing wrong with it, I denied boarding to a lady one time over lice in her hair, and immediatley called the health office in the airport, ot which they came and whisked her away.

CX Flyboy

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:49 am

At my airline whenever there is a case where a passengers health is in question and as a result we need to clarify their suitability to fly, we get the airport doctor to clarify things. Neither the passenger nor cabin crew are able to make that assessment as we are not trained in the medical field. If the doctor okays it then normally we accept that. For cabin crew to make a judgement in such a borderline case would simply not happen in my airline. Obviously there would be some cases where crew can make an executive decision if it is very obvious the passenger is not fit, but in 99% of cases, we call a doctor.

BN727

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:05 am

I'll bet she had on of those 29-89 dollar fares. What a witch.

Arcrftlvr

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:30 am

So, she is owed $5m?

Quoting Funflyer (Reply 23):

Explain to me why she is owed $5m, especially if this bag of meat agreed to the stipulations of the contract of carriage? The airline was well within their rights according to this contract to deny her boarding.

wingnut767

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:32 am

What do lawyers do anyway, apart from making work for other lawyers, who in turn make work for other lawyers

Could not agree with you more. Almost all of our politicians are lawyers also so you know that there would never be any changes. Yet most of the Sheeple here in America do nothing. Not even vote and it is pretty sad.

Amen. The US needs to switch over to a system where the loser pays the winners legal fees. This would cut lawsuits by 50% or more overnight

This and capping damages are needed very badly in this country.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

rampart

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:44 am

One whole step, huh? Not just fractions?  Smile

I, too, wait for a more complete story before making an opinion.

-Rampart

loalq

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting DTW757 (Reply 37):
Watch what you say about that lawsuit. We had a HUGE discussion/arguement about that McDonalds lawsuit in another airline related lawsuit thread. There are people on here that will defend that lawsuit and fight to the death doing it.

Sorry, really wouldn't want this to happen again... Big grin

On the other hand, how would she react if, after telling the FO she was sick, she was asked to sign a term stating that she agrees to hold financial responsability in the event that the plane has to be deviated and land somewhere in case her condition worsens to a point that she would need instant care? I doubt she would bother to board that plane...
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

lowecur

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:30 am

Must have been the Blue Chips.  Smile

EvilForce

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting Lowecur (Reply 46):
Must have been the Blue Chips.  

Nah, I think she was knocking on death's door. Apparently death didn't like this money grubber either.  Wink

S5FA170

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting DTW757 (Reply 37):
There are people on here that will defend that lawsuit and fight to the death doing it.

At my airline when we serve coffee or hot tea, we are supposed to verbally warn the passenger to "Be careful! This is hot!" because the cup doesn't say so. What is this country coming to?  Wink
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting CX Flyboy (Reply 40):
At my airline whenever there is a case where a passengers health is in question and as a result we need to clarify their suitability to fly, we get the airport doctor to clarify things

Does the whole plane load of passengers have to wait for the doctor to arrive and examine her before it is allowed to leave?

I say let the case go to court and if she loses she has to pay the 5 million.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Arcrftlvr

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 49):
I say let the case go to court and if she loses she has to pay the 5 million.

That's an outstanding idea!! This would probably reduce the number of frivilous lawsuits if there were consequences for filing suit demanding exorbitant amounts that cannot justified...