OB1783P
Topic Author

Nighttime Vs. Daytime Safety

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:36 am

I was trying to think of nighttime accidents that would not have occurred during daylight hours, and the following easily came to mind:
Birgenair 757
Bombay AI 747
Windhoek SAA 707
Guam KAL 747
Kenya A-310
and many others probably.

Now any daytime accidents that would not have occurred at night:
Tenerife maybe? Any others?

Does this indicate that it is considerably safer to schedule one's takeoffs and landings during daylight hours?
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

metroliner

RE: Nighttime Vs. Daytime Safety

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting OB1783P (Thread starter):
Does this indicate that it is considerably safer to schedule one's takeoffs and landings during daylight hours?

maybe, but it's not the easiest thing to organise, especially in a time when it's paramount to untilise aircraft as efficiently as possible.

realistically, nighttime doesn't present altogether such a difficult challenge to airlines as it may have sixty or seventy years ago. modern airliners, too, are far safer than 707s and early 747s.
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:28 pm

With Technology Advancement the Gap would be narrow.But def Day Flying s more Easier than Night Flying.Ask any pilot.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bond007

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:38 pm

How is night time any different from IMC?

One might argue that it's safer in VMC at night than IMC during the day!

Actually, as a pilot, there are a few advantages to night flying. When flying VFR at night (or even a visual approach), it's usually much easier to see traffic in a busy ATC area, rather than during a hazy day.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

RandyWaldron

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Guam KAL 747

In that accident, the crew descended prematurely to the approach decision height. In the daylight hours, they *may* have seen the rising terrain and aborted the approach.

However, there were many other factors contributing to this accident. There was non-standard phraseology in the cockpit, the Captain had been rescheduled, the crew was rushed, weather was deteriorating, the airplane was flying in and out of IMC, the glide slope was out of service, etc, etc, etc....

As with every accident, there are several factors which, each one viewed alone, would not cause an accident. However, when those factors are tied together, they prove disastrous. Plus, GUM is a wierd airport - it's almost like landing on a plateau surrounded by mountains, IIRC.

Flying at night is not inherently dangerous.
"Flaps 20, gear down, landing checklist please..."

Asturias

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:07 pm

I don't like flying at night as much as flying by day. There is so much less to see!  Smile

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly