ERJ170
Topic Author

United Upgrades RDU

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Well I'll be darn if it's just rolling here..

United adds the seasonal DEN service using the 737-500 and now United is upgrading 2 of the ORD flights to 737-500! Though it looks to be seasonal for right now.

I can only surmise from this that all of pre-9/11 United employees have either retired, transferred, quit, fired, or replaced with regional employees who are allowing United to bring in the babies!

Whatever the case, this is EXCELLENT news!
Aiming High and going far..

xjet

RE: United Upgrades RDU

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:42 pm

RDU really is gaining some service in the past couple of days! It is good to see for the research triangle.

HPRamper

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:46 pm

I flew the ORD-RDU segment around two years ago...could have sworn it was on a 757. But I suppose I'm mistaken  Smile Upgrades are always good!

eraugrad02

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 2):
I flew the ORD-RDU segment around two years ago...could have sworn it was on a 757. But I suppose I'm mistaken Upgrades are always good!

I was one of the supervisors then in rdu. we were only crjs ACA station.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

casinterest

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Thread starter):
I can only surmise from this that all of pre-9/11 United employees have either retired, transferred, quit, fired, or replaced with regional employees who are allowing United to bring in the babies!

It would be interesting to see what occurred with the employee base in RDU.

Either way it appears United does not want to miss out on the growth of RDU anymore. Seems they might finally be getting smarter about what markets they need to be in to GROW their revenue.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

RDUDDJI

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:31 pm

Hmmm, me thinks me might have to leave my CHI post and head home...
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

ATWZW170

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:16 am

As far as I know RDU is still an Air Wisconsin station for UA. Haven't heard that Air Wisconsin is losing any business -- I know Skywest handles PSP for United and mainline jets do go in and out of there....not sure how it's going to change things.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

ERJ170
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:11 am

**********************************Public Announcement****************************************************

New information...

Looks like RDU-DEN is no longer seasonal but year-round.

Flt 561 (737-500) runs April - October.
Flt 7750 (E70) takes over from that point.

On another note, Air Canada brings back the seasonal 4th flight that runs April - October...

**********************************End Transmission**********************************************************

UnitedTristar

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 6):
I know Skywest handles PSP for United and mainline jets do go in and out of there

UA pulled mainline from PSP years ago...they have had winter seasonal service from Chicago but that is no longer.

-m

airplane 

JDAirCEO

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:52 am

With AA increasing four flights to MD-80s, UA adding/starting mainline service, and AC adding another rotation, terminal C will be very crowded until the new wing is finished. Cover the place with carpet and it will start to feel like
terminal A.
An MD-80 is great... in first class

AAflyguy

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 am

UA is still operating PSP-ORD seasonally. It returned last winter, was a late add for this winter also, and is currently flying daily. Additionally, the UA schedule planning team pulled off a coup for PSP. The ORD-PSP flight continues to DEN. Conversely, the new DEN-PSP flight continues to ORD. So PSP gets two mainline UA seasonal trips out of the deal. The PSP flights are operated with 319s, so there's a bit more capacity on the PSP-DEN run now. There's a clause in the contract with the UA ground crew that states UA mainline cannot operate for more than 6-months in an Express station without that station being staffed with UA personnel. If it remains at under 6-months, the Express carrier (in this case, SkyWest) can work the mainline equipment and Express service. That's the case in PSP. Now with the E170s, there could very well be something similar to the DEN-RDU route, because the plane has the range to fly PSP-ORD, and do it year-round since it's an Express aircraft.

CroCop

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:37 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 4):
Either way it appears United does not want to miss out on the growth of RDU anymore. Seems they might finally be getting smarter about what markets they need to be in to GROW their revenue.

Smarter? they have been smarter by increasing their presence in Asia. Rdu doesn't make the money like the Asian market. The 737-500's must have come from a Ted market? I can think of a few other cities I would add the 737's but oh well.

As far as the United metal is concerned. UAL is going to fly the planes seasonal, according to the IAM and union rules, UAL can only add service seasonal if they add service permanently they MUST use true UAL employees not Express employees. I would assume UAL would find some way around this contract rule.
Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic

flyboy80

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:41 am

It seems that UA has been increasing domestic mainline operations lately, or anouncing them for summer at least... Especially to a couple former mainline stations.

United787

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:49 am

As far as I know RDU is still an Air Wisconsin station for UA.

Confused Air Wisconsin hasn't flown for UA since last April...

pbiflyer

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting CroCop (Reply 11):
The 737-500's must have come from a Ted market?

Not at all. Ted is all A320's!
PBI is South Florida's BEST airport!

fdex727

Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 13):
Air Wisconsin hasn't flown for UA since last April...

ZW is the ground handler at RDU and several other UAX stations.

akjetBlue

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:58 am

Quoting Fdex727 (Reply 15):
ZW is the ground handler at RDU and several other UAX stations.

Yep!

Wierd as it may seem, the last time i was in CHO I was astonished to see SkyWest handling UAX on an east coast city -as OO doesn't even operate in that station, guess it all goes to the lowest bidder.
Save a horse! Ride a Cowboy!

ERJ170
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:03 am

As far as I know RDU is still an Air Wisconsin station for UA.

How many Charter Express flights do ya'll handle a week? I know you handle the 12 UAX and 3 AC.. but I was just wondering how much business Charter Express handles..

AirEMS

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:20 am

Is RDU a under served market? I fly to NC every summer but it seems very few airlines fly there.... Is this another quickly growing market? IIRC AA even flew a 777 to LGW I think.

-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

ERJ170
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting AirEMS (Reply 18):
Is RDU a under served market? I fly to NC every summer but it seems very few airlines fly there.... Is this another quickly growing market? IIRC AA even flew a 777 to LGW I think.

I wouldn't say RDU is underserved, but I would say there are a couple of more destinations that could be served; mainly SFO, SAN, PVD, BUF, and probably CUN. The three destinations that RTRP (Research Triangle Regional Partnership) is working on getting is SFO, FRA, and CDG (highest requested business routes).

AA still flies the 777 to LGW on a daily basis. Usually between 60-80% full depending on the time of year.. annually averages about 70%.

AirEMS

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 19):

Thanks for the information as I always say I'm waiting for the non stop from DEN to ILM so I don't have to drive to Wilmington but oh well

-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

ERJ170
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:37 am

Slight change in subject..

Since there was a discussion about CUTE use in another discussion, I thought I would add this article I recently read about RDU..

Sounds kinda great to me.. but I think I'm biased.. Read Discusses CUTE and more Terminal highlights

Highlights:

1. All Airlines welcome CUTE but Southwest (but could change when CUTE comes to Terminal A)
2. In-line baggage system will work CUTE, with routing performed by Terminal C tower
3. Luggage process by barcode, but move towards RFD sysem
4. All Advertising will be electronic on flat-panel screens
5. All gate and baggage info will be electronic
6. 3 international gate and a NEW FIS
7. Each ticketing island (with 20 agent counters) will have 2 conveyors to transport bags that will be delivered via CUTE
8. AA/AE has not decided how many gates they will use, but they will be on a 15 year lease.. everyone else will be month-to-month
9. Terminal A reconfiguration starts in 2011, and will have in-line baggage system for all airlines
10. Southwest moving to have between 30-40 flight at RDU from the current 28 (soon 29) and a 5th gate.
11. RDUAA is seriously wanting to move to RDU employees doing pax, baggage, and ramp work while airlines perform on the plane work only..

unitedMSY

Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:24 pm

Yes I can attest to this one, I have worked ORD-RDU on ERJ-170's a many occasion, and there is rarely a seat left. Good news for United, it is proving they can send 170's into the Southeast, build a market, and move on.

hiflyer

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:08 pm

Suprise suprise...319 going to RSW as well for the season...normally an all E170 market now.

RDUDDJI

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 21):
All Airlines welcome CUTE but Southwest (but could change when CUTE comes to Terminal A)

I can tell you, that is hard to believe. Most carriers I've worked with despise CUTE. It requires significant IT infrastructure work, and airlines have to modify their ABT's, BP's and basically lose much proprietary control over their gate operation. If they have to wait for the airport to update the FIDS/GIDS/RIDS then that can lead to delayed info for the pax. As far as the inline screening goes, you don't need CUTE for that. A programmatic adjustment will do that just fine.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

ERJ170
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 24):
It requires significant IT infrastructure work, and airlines have to modify their ABT's, BP's and basically lose much proprietary control over their gate operation.

RDU is taking control of that.. they will maintain the system.. but each airline will have a secured, blocked off section for each of their proprietary information..

But all of the airlines (save Southwest) have already agreed to it, so it's pretty much a done deal.

rdukid

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:48 am

11. RDUAA is seriously wanting to move to RDU employees doing pax, baggage, and ramp work while airlines perform on the plane work only..

What do u mean by that?
War Eagle!

ERJ170
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:03 am

RDU sees the future of airline moving towards the airport doing the gate/counter/ramp work and the airline just bringing in the planes and flying out...

so they are really looking to moving towards that.. so instead of XE having 30 employees at RDU.. they will have 0. Instead of AirTran having to hire X number of employees for only 6 flights, RDU would be able to shift employees around as flights come in and will use less people, costing less, etc.. RDU employees will operate the counters/gate/ramp with RDU access and RDU background checks and the airlines will only have to work on their planes and maintenance.. therefore RDU will control everything at RDU..

hope I explained that clearly..

hiflyer

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:09 am

CUTE makes money for the airport but costs the carriers more if a fairly large operation. CUTE means everyone uses the same pc, bagtag printer, and boarding pass printer. Southwest obviously does not use anything near interline air carrier standard so CUTE does not work for them. Airlines pay CUTE by useage and CUTE pays a franchise fee to the airport.

MIA is going CUTE...by the way CUTE is a SITA product. There is competition with MUSE...offered by Arinc ....as an example. Airlines around the world have worked with CUTE and MUSE and know how to port their data to/from them. Some carriers may elect to put proprietary systems in back offices on their own.

One advantage of CUTE/MUSE is to stop what has hurt RDU, MIA, BNA and other airports when their major carrier went bye bye. CUTE/MUSE...with their common terminals and counter/checkin branding on changeable LCD and Plasma screens means carriers can be changed within minutes instead of days or weeks. And I mean within minutes...a carrier that needs 12 positions in the morning but only 6 later on can be paired easily with one that is light in the morning and heavy in the afternoon. Another advantage is that it does make it easier for a carrier with just 1 flt a day to come in and not have to install full IT equipment.

rdukid

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:14 am

This is a little off topic but I was originally not planning to return home for summer break this year but now it turns out that I am and I am interested in possibly getting some sort of job at RDU for the summer. I know the obvious way to go about this is to go on the airline websites and fill out all the employee interest forms and stuff, but is there any other way or a better way to go about doing this? Also, do many airlines if any hire for just the summer? I am not really looking for an internship just something simple like working on the ramp. If anybody has any information about this that would be great. Thanks.
War Eagle!

ERJ170
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:32 am

Newest updated information...

According to the latest *A schedules...

RDU-LAS changes --> 6 weekly flights through Apr15, then changes to 3 weekly flights (so sad)
RDU-PHX changes --> 1 daily to 2 daily starting 11May
RDU-CLT changes --> start seeing E70 on some weekends..
RDU-DEN changes --> currently through 18Feb08
RDU-PHL changes --> start seeing some E75/E90 on select weekends

No other real changes...

casinterest

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 30):
RDU-LAS changes --> 6 weekly flights through Apr15, then changes to 3 weekly flights (so sad)

The plan is to probably connect some traffic through DEN (New) and PHX (May 11 increase)

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 30):
RDU-PHL changes --> start seeing some E75/E90 on select weekends

How are they looking against Southwest ? WN is adding 1 as far as I know. This seems to indicate that US Airways may be losing to them in this market.

Quoting AirEMS (Reply 18):
Is this another quickly growing market?

Raleigh is the fastest growing big city(200,000+) east of the Mississippi.

It currently is adding around 15,000+ in population a year.

The Triangle(Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is growing at around a 50,000 people per year. There seems to be nothing stopping it, and at this point, the O&D out of RDU is at 9.4 million a year. That is less than a million away from the all time Traffic records set when there was hub activity. With the initiation of service from XJET, and the increases in plane size, and destinations served, this year promises to bring the number of O&D out of RDU close to 10 million.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

flyibaby

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 27):
RDU sees the future of airline moving towards the airport doing the gate/counter/ramp work and the airline just bringing in the planes and flying out...

so they are really looking to moving towards that.. so instead of XE having 30 employees at RDU.. they will have 0. Instead of AirTran having to hire X number of employees for only 6 flights, RDU would be able to shift employees around as flights come in and will use less people, costing less, etc.. RDU employees will operate the counters/gate/ramp with RDU access and RDU background checks and the airlines will only have to work on their planes and maintenance.. therefore RDU will control everything at RDU..

hope I explained that clearly..

I don't doubt that RDU wants to do this, however I doubt many airlines would go for it. First of all, you have too many unions involved, and second it takes TOO much control from the airlines to change to a different vendor if they want.

The closest regional to larger sized airport that has come close to making this work is HPN (White Plains, NY) and they don't do all that great of a job either. Addtionally, RDU employees are considered to be government employees as RDU is goverened by itself just like any city. Therefore, expenses would be out the roof in paying these new "government workers."

ERJ170
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 31):
The plan is to probably connect some traffic through DEN (New) and PHX (May 11 increase)

That may be, but LAS has more traffic than both of them.. so they could be losing O&D to WN...

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 31):
How are they looking against Southwest ? WN is adding 1 as far as I know. This seems to indicate that US Airways may be losing to them in this market.

US = 10 to PHL (6 mainline); WN = 6 daily
Note: the E75/E90 are actaully upgrades to what US offers to PHL on the weekends.. which ranges from CRJs and DH8s to 737

Quoting Flyibaby (Reply 32):
First of all, you have too many unions involved, and second it takes TOO much control from the airlines to change to a different vendor if they want.

Unions - if the airport doesn't allow non-airport workers, what could the unions do?
Control - it removes all control, and it would be one less thing the airline would have to deal with. They would just pay a flat fee and the airport would handle everything but flying the plane..

but, time will tell.. would be interesting to see if they could get it to work they way they are thinking..

DiscoverCSG

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting Pbiflyer (Reply 14):
Quoting CroCop (Reply 11):
The 737-500's must have come from a Ted market?

Not at all. Ted is all A320's!

I think CroCop meant that the 735's were in a market and were replaced by Ted 320's, thus freeing up the 735's for these RDU flights.