kaitak

Flying Irish - All Aboard For 7/07!

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:25 pm

Welcome on board for another warp-speed cruise through the fast moving world of Irish aviation!

Things are starting to pick up now and we should see some very significant developments this month ...

- The resolution to the industrial issues relating to the new EI contracts will hopefully be sorted out sometime next week, which will hopefully allow EI to firm up some future plans.
- Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow ... is when the EU and US meet to discuss Open Skies. Current vibes are quite good. The German govt now in the driving seat is said to be determined to reach agreement. The clock is running counting down for an agreement this Summer ... tick, tick, tick ... The Germans will find ways of making it tock (sorry, I just had to).
- Once an agreement is done on Open Skies and with agreement on cuts done, we will hopefully see a deal being done on the long haul fleet.

Hopefully tomorrow's papers will tell us more (well, apart from the Sunday Times, which isn't putting its Irish edition on the web anymore!)  mad 

Well, here goes, people; boarding cards and photo ID at the ready, form an orderly queue and let's get flying ...

aerarann

RE: Flying Irish - All Aboard For 7/07!

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Well, here goes, people; boarding cards and photo ID at the ready, form an orderly queue and let's get flying ...

I Checked In Online ..... So I Get To Bypass The Queue Big grin

ltbewr

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:51 pm

So long as USA pax can fly non-stop on most flights to Dublin, rather via Shannon, then I support the open skies program. If they don't then it will have been a waste. Shannon is a political hangover, going back to the days of the Pan Am Clippers (their first/last Euro stop on those flying boats was at a nearby inlet/cove.

BrianDromey

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting AerArann (Reply 1):
I Checked In Online ..... So I Get To Bypass The Queue

I hope you've paid the fees for that!

Quoting AerArann (Reply 146):
Anyone Know Why OK are operating various flights DUB - ORK?

Are These Positioning Flights, Or are they operating Via ORK?

I think these are positioning flights for charters OK operates. OK have pulled off the ORK-PRG, and definately does not serve ACE as a scheduled destination, so there would have to be a positioning flight somewhere...

Incidently does anyone know if seats on these positioning flights are avaibable to buy?
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

jwmd123

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:06 am

Just flew back in from CDG this morning. WOW what an airport. i mean the operation of everything is just great. They really do know how to run an airport.

Anyhow, I have 2 questions if anyone can answer them.

As we were approaching our gate I seen EI-DAA being moved to a contact stand near pier B? Thought this little dream machine would have been heading over the Atlantic (the reason i say this is because EI-LAX was set up at pier B ready to go, i assume the LAX route).

Also, heading out of the airport I noticed a Virgin Nigeria plane at SR technics. I did not think SR done work for Virgin Nigeria.

Anyway, flight was good, slight delay, the route in was great. We came up over the Dublin bay, across Dublin past the Red Cow, veering towards maynooth and back across. Never came in on that approach before. On a clear morning like today it was breath taking.

BrianDromey

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 4):
Virgin Nigeria plane at SR technics.

Was it an A330, if so this is actually a bmi bird, which is being leased to Virgin Nigeria for a period. Im not sure how long, three to six months, I think.

Did you leave from T1 CDG? Im guessing not, because thats the most vile, disgusting, badly desinged and dirty airport terminal Ive seen in Europe. No toilets or Shops once you enter the security zone and FILTHY floors and seats. Its a disgrace on a DUB scale. Dont even start on the train station.....

The AF terminal looks much better tho!  Wink
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

rineanna

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 5):
Was it an A330, if so this is actually a bmi bird, which is being leased to Virgin Nigeria for a period. Im not sure how long, three to six months, I think

No I saw it yesterday too coming out of the airport and I'm nearly sure it was an A340.

Toulouse

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 4):
Just flew back in from CDG this morning. WOW what an airport. i mean the operation of everything is just great. They really do know how to run an airport.

Not that this is Irish related, but I'm glad to see your comments, people love knocking CDG which in my opinion is a great airport, yet...

Did you leave from T1 CDG? Im guessing not, because thats the most vile, disgusting, badly desinged and dirty airport terminal Ive seen in Europe. No toilets or Shops once you enter the security zone and FILTHY floors and seats

I do agree CDG1 just needs to be knocked down and built from scratch. When it was built it was probably very modern, avant-guard, but today is a disaster. The whole toilet issue is bizarre, so only pass security once ready for boarding, yet given the lack of toilets, seurity has never given me any problems in exiting to visit the WC which is just around the corner.

If he flew AF from DUB he would have been in CDG2 which is brilliant.
Long live Aer Lingus!

BestWestern

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:21 am

I notice that the transfer route in Dublin is again closed due to reconstruction... when is it due to open.

Any news on the new Ryanair check-in area?
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Poitin

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:38 am

Quote:
DM has referred in his comments that the competitive disadvantages now being faced by EI because of the current position are unsustainable, given the airline's future growth plans.

Incidentally, isn't the airline's annual report and 2006 results due to be announced sometime within the next few weeks? I can't remember what month the 2005 results were released last year.

You changed threads before I had a chance to see the last thread. While I am merely guessing since I do not know ISE rules, I would expect EI's first ever public company Annual report in the next few weeks, IF they have a January to December 31 year. I have not found a statement as to when their new public company year dates are; however, they use to have a Jan 1 to Dec 31 year, but that may have changed. In any case, they should at least have a quarterly report.

They use to publish their "annual report" in mid April. I think ISE requires a more prompt issuance.

Sounds like interesting reading and like DM is going to use it to get his way. I hope he wins the coming fight, as EI's future may well depend on him winning.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

pelican22

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:11 am

The Virgin Nigeria is definitely an A340,reg is G-VBUS, I saw her landing last Tuesday

BrianDromey

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 7):
If he flew AF from DUB he would have been in CDG2 which is brilliant.

I never been in T2! T1 and the rail station were disgusting in the extreme. DUB gets a lot of bashing on here, but Id rather it to CDG T1 any day. The place is vile.(or was when I was last there 2 years ago)

Quoting Poitin (Reply 9):
Sounds like interesting reading and like DM is going to use it to get his way. I hope he wins the coming fight, as EI's future may well depend on him winning.

While I fully agree that EI needs to get its house in order, I hope Dermot dosent go and needlessly wreck employee morale. WW managed it very, very well, and it made EI almost unbearable to fly on, for a time even FR were more pleasent. Once again EI is my carrier of choice, and I d like it to stay that way.

Quoting Pelican22 (Reply 10):
Virgin Nigeria is definitely an A340,reg is G-VBUS

Assumptions are dangerous! Sorry about that.

Brian.

rineanna

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:40 am

Just said I'd post a recent picture of Pier D that I took yesterday at DUB:
Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 56kb
Pier D

BTW, my trip report including both SNN and DUB is now posted: Shannon-Edinburgh/Aberdeen-Dublin (by Rineanna Feb 3 2007 in Trip Reports)

BestWestern

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 11):
I never been in T2

T2F is a great design, with a wonderful cieling in the shape of concorde on both piers.. All Wx services depart from here, but are all remote stand served - these days parked up closer to T2E

Off topic, but CDG2 isnt that bad an airport, with the exception of the airside transfer coaches.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

shamrock350

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:31 pm

WW managed it very, very well, and it made EI almost unbearable to fly on, for a time even FR were more pleasent. Once again EI is my carrier of choice, and I d like it to stay that way

I remember flying on EI in 2003 LHR-SNN and I will never forget the look on the FAs faces. They looked sad and almost angry at the passengers, they spoke quietly and barely looked the passengers in the eye. The whole flight was uncomfortable. Today it's very different and staff at Aer Lingus are some of the best in the world and I hope it remains like that!

Toulouse

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:43 pm

I never been in T2! T1 and the rail station were disgusting in the extreme. DUB gets a lot of bashing on here, but Id rather it to CDG T1 any day. The place is vile.(or was when I was last there 2 years ago)

CDG1 is probably just as vile as it was when you were last there, it's also been a bit over a year since I flew through. CDG2 is another world

While I fully agree that EI needs to get its house in order, I hope Dermot dosent go and needlessly wreck employee morale. WW managed it very, very well, and it made EI almost unbearable to fly on, for a time even FR were more pleasent. Once again EI is my carrier of choice, and I d like it to stay that way.

I totally agree with you. WW destroyed staff morale on EI, and I remember for a time I used to actually feel sad flying EI due to the staff. I must say they were never rude, but you could see their heart just wasn't in it. Thanksfully the old style freindly attitude has been back now for a number of years. Nevertheless, without WW I'm not so sure EI would still be around, so he must be given soome credit. I think DM is starting to take a slightly harder approach, which I think is needed, yet I imagine he'll be more sensitive to his staff. For me, WW was just a slightly less aggressive MOL.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Shamrock330

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:53 pm

"AER LINGUS WEB LINK TO OPEN 100 NEW US ROUTES TO IRISH CUSTOMERS"

Aer Lingus customers will soon be able to book flights to almost 100 US cities on the airlines website as a result of a unique link up with a number of US based carriers.

From this Autumn, customers who access aerlingus.com will be able to book the onward leg of their US journey at the cheapest rate complete with baggage transfer. The seamless booking transaction will be facilitated by a unique link up of aerlingus.com qith the websites of seeveral US carriers.

"Carriers in the US have an enormous network, some serving hundreds of cities, Aer Lingus need only deal with three or four airlines, but this can give us an enormous reach" Enda Corneille, Commercial Director Aer Lingus

The airline promises to take the cheapest fare on one carrier and combine it with the cheapest on the US carrier's website. The initiative should go some way towards helping Aer Lingus expand its reach in the absence of an agreed open skies deal .

Finally looks like we have some positive movement, the future looks good.
Taken form Sunday business post article.

BrianDromey

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 15):
Thanksfully the old style freindly attitude has been back now for a number of years. Nevertheless, without WW I'm not so sure EI would still be around, so he must be given soome credit.

checkmark 

I remember those periods, it was awful. FAs hid in the galley, pulled the curatins and that was it. On my last few flights they have been up and down the cabin quite a bit, friendly and chatty. I dont think the curtaine were closed at all! (Im sure the only reason that the're not closed @ FR is becasue theyve been dumped!)

Whenever I see an EI bird in that beautiful green livery it makes me proud, especially those 330s. About three years ago @ BOS there was a pair of 330s parked on stand, but I was headed to LHR on BA. I so dearly wished I was getting on the green one! (Still had an EI 321 to ORK tho!)

When Im returning home for the weekend I love to board EI quite early so I can sit back and observe, the accents, attitude and smell of EI.

For me its summed up by "You're Home"

Dont care what anyone else says, EI are a fantastic carrier. If people cant live without TV for 6-10 hours maybe they shouldn't travel....thy'll most likely spend their time in the local Holiday Inn watching infomercials.  Yeah sure Have people forgotten about books? The servie is friedly and the food (complementary or paid) is of a very high standard for airline grub....

"And on selected flights Y pax can now shower in flight with our complements!"  wink   biggrin 

Good ole 'JFK!

ac747

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:11 pm

Can anyone tell me , what is the status of EuroCypria Airlines in DUB ? Are their flights fully scheduled now as a takeover from the defunct Helios/AlphaJet ?
I see they are listed as flying on Mo and Fr to LCA and their website allows DUB-LCA flight only bookings.
Haven't we been here before ?

ac747

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:56 pm

Another DUB related question !!!
I notice that TP are listed as operating a (codeshare)Summer service to Ponta Delgada.
Details are listed as :

Flight TP6655 Carrier TAP Portugal
Aircraft Model Airbus Industrie A320
Operator ATA Aerocondor

Departing Dublin Airport
Fridays
Time 14:20

Arriving Ponta Delgada Airport Nordela
Fridays
Time 17:00

There is no mention of a 'via LIS or FAO', but AeroCondor operate Shorts 360 and Dornier228 and ATR42 props so would they be leasing a TP 320 for the service ?
I'm a wee bit puzzled !!

shamrock350

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 16):

That's great news and should help EI take on DL and CO more effectively. I would have loved to see EI have it's own flights to more US destinations but because of the delay in OS this seems a great way to solve that problem.
I wonder what US carriers Aer Lingus has teamed up with? They talk about the cheapest fares so maybe an LCC like Jetblue from JFK.

Hopefully this means Aer Lingus can focus on more routes East now that the US is covered for the medium term.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 17):
Dont care what anyone else says, EI are a fantastic carrier. If people cant live without TV for 6-10 hours maybe they shouldn't travel....thy'll most likely spend their time in the local Holiday Inn watching infomercials. Have people forgotten about books?

I agree and I think it's a shame that airlines must have PTVs to compete with other airlines but if it means EI load factors stop heading south, then I agree that they need them and I'm glad EI are adding them (supposedly)

Shamrock330

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 20):
They talk about the cheapest fares so maybe an LCC like Jetblue from JFK.

Perhaps Jetblue will be a partner, but do they really have the network spread that will allow such a dramatic increase in the destinations that Aer Lingus can "serve"?

I would imagine that the transfers to these strategic partners will primarily occur in both ORD/JFK.

I would imagine that this manouver will unnerve some of the competition, specifically Continental and Delta. Up to this point they've had an easy ride knowing that they have a free reign over passengers originating directly from both Dub & Snn who want to connect to an American destination not served by EI.

Competition will certainly be heating up when these partnerships are implemented. I've noticed alot of Continental advertising in the Irish media recently. Expect these big boys to put up a strong fight when EI come to take their passnegers.

[Edited 2007-02-04 13:55:24]

shamrock350

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:06 pm

There was a rumour sometime ago that EI was looking for an LCC partner in the US.
Here's JetBlue's route map:
http://www.jetblue.com/wherewefly/
There's a new route to SFO soon and current routes to Las Vegas from JFK.

There's other airlines that EI may have teamed up with I think we can cancel out DL and CO though.

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 21):
Expect these big boys to put up a strong fight when EI come to take their passnegers.

Aer Lingus will have a fight on their hands but I'm sure with the new product, good connections and that Irish charm they are known for, Aer Lingus will come out on top...hopefully  Wink

BrianDromey

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 16):
Aer Lingus customers will soon be able to book flights to almost 100 US cities on the airlines website as a result of a unique link up with a number of US based carriers.

Its not just one carrier guys, but "a number".

I agree that JBLUE could be a good match at JFK, AA at BOS, maybe UA @ LAX. While its definately a move in the right direction, isnt this just an interline agreement? There is no mention of Boarding Passes being printed at DUB/SNN, but the tickets will all be bookable @ aerlingus.com

Ironically since EI have dumped OW connections are getting better, not worse! With more codeshares and moves such as this!

On another note, this should make it easier for EI to get a better idea of where direct service from DUB/SNN might work. It should also help to keep SNN viable.

Brian.

P.S. When looking at flight details on EI.com some services appear as operated by "32A" while others are operated by 320 or 321. What does the A notate? That it could be an A320orA321?

Thanks Guys!

[Edited 2007-02-04 14:45:22]

shamrock350

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:40 am

I think JetBlue is a good match, it has a great service, low fares and quite a few connections I also think the larger carriers like UA and AA would be good for Aer Lingus but would that mean UA would just codeshare with EI to DUB rather then start it's own service? I would love to see UA in Ireland.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 23):
When looking at flight details on EI.com some services appear as operated by "32A" while others are operated by 320 or 321. What does the A notate? That it could be an A320orA321?

I have also seen "32H" and "32A" whereas other flights are Airbus Industrie A320. I think it's when the aircraft for that route has not been decided yet.

Poitin

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 15):
I totally agree with you. WW destroyed staff morale on EI, and I remember for a time I used to actually feel sad flying EI due to the staff. I must say they were never rude, but you could see their heart just wasn't in it. Thanksfully the old style freindly attitude has been back now for a number of years. Nevertheless, without WW I'm not so sure EI would still be around, so he must be given soome credit. I think DM is starting to take a slightly harder approach, which I think is needed, yet I imagine he'll be more sensitive to his staff. For me, WW was just a slightly less aggressive MOL.

I completely agree that the people are the company, particularly those who deal with the customers. Still there are too many people working for EI, particularly in the back offices if what MOL said is true. For example, FR has just 800 employees (including MOL and his one assistant) who are not flight crew, while the other 2700 are (from FR 2005 annual report). MOL said that there were 100 marketing types in the USA and "600 file clerks" at EI. Just what he meant is not clear, but he seemed stunned by the number. As for the catering group, they should be sold off. They are probably a viable business, but should not be part of an such a small long-haul airline as EI.

However, the unfortunate fact is the typical turn-around CEO at an airline goes after the FAs and pilots instead of thinning out back office. I wasn't paying attention to EI while WW was in charge, but I get the feeling that he tried to make the FAs and pilots take the heaviest cuts. Perhaps someone can fill me in.

I agree with your comments completely,Toulouse, particularly about DM being more sensitive. I have always said I thought he was a good manager. We shall see that tested in the next few months. I hope he passes.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

Toulouse

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:56 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 25):
I wasn't paying attention to EI while WW was in charge, but I get the feeling that he tried to make the FAs and pilots take the heaviest cuts. Perhaps someone can fill me in.

Don't have much time (nor insight) so I'm sure somebody else can fill you in a bit more, but you are right in assuming the the FAs and pilots certainly took heavy cuts under WW. I had similar feeling about WW as I do about MOL, but as I said before, I firmly believe WW saved EI. The airline was on the brink of going out of business before he came in and look where the airline has got in just 6 years.

Quoting Poitin (Reply 25):
I agree with your comments completely,Toulouse, particularly about DM being more sensitive. I have always said I thought he was a good manager. We shall see that tested in the next few months. I hope he passes.

That's the feeling I've always had, yet his recent silenc was starting to concern me. As you say, I think we will start to see now what DM is really made out of

Just getting one of my little digs at Ryanair, but I really wonder how much we can trust Ryanair's punctuality statistics they publish online... I had a friend fly Ryanair today from CCF to EMA. I was checking frequently at the time as there was pretty bad fog when I dropped her off at Carcassonne (not Ryanair's fault). Anyway, according to their site the plane laned in CCF on time (untrue, as I left the airport more or less when it was supposed to land just as they made an announcement saying the flight was delayed as it was in a holding pattern and unable to land due to the fog". Site also says it arrived "ON TIME" at EMA... funny as my friend phoned us when she got home and said they were an hour and forty minutes late arriving. Yet on the other hand, when she flew into CCF on Friday, according to Ryanair the flight arrived 40 minutes late, but in reality it landed 10 minutes ahead of schedule...

[Edited 2007-02-04 21:09:49]
Long live Aer Lingus!

jwmd123

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:48 am

Did you leave from T1 CDG? Im guessing not, because thats the most vile, disgusting, badly desinged and dirty airport terminal Ive seen in Europe. No toilets or Shops once you enter the security zone and FILTHY floors and seats. Its a disgrace on a DUB scale. Dont even start on the train station.....

Brian, i agree T1 at CDG is not the best. i was more talking about the operation of the airport.As we were coming into land, there was another plane landing on one of the other runways. It was some sight to see. I was more thinking of the logistical side of the airport looks like something else.

Any way great news from EI on the US routes. Hopefully this is a hint that something could be coming for far east connections as well (sorry about state of my message, running a fever at the moment after coming back from my trip, it was cold in Paris on Friday!!!!)

aerarann

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:09 am

The Aer Lingus Service Statistics For January '07 Are Quite Impressive

Aer Lingus Statistics

[Edited 2007-02-04 23:10:33]

bx737

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:22 am

I have to agree with the comments regarding WW. He did save the airline, but then went and lost the respect of his crews by relentlessly hitting us for more cutbacks. Morale improved when he left and there is no point in denying that.

DM is unfortunately heading down the same route. I have said in previous posts that cuts need to be made. It is worth noting EI has approx 1200 cabin crew and 500 pilots, out of approx 3500 staff (I just don't know exact nos). At the risk of sounding MOLish, what are the other 1800 people doing.

Once again DM is hitting flying crews. The National Implementation Body was due to issue a finding concerning the unilateral imposition of the cuts by EI management last Friday. It almost seems like EI management are trying to force the staff to strike. This is worrying to me on 2 fronts, firstly as an employee and secondly as a shareholder.

I have only heard by hearsay what the company are looking for and it is naive of management to think that these cuts can be imposed unilaterally with no compensation coming from the company to its staff. It appears that they are looking for cuts in annual leave, cuts in bank holiday entitlements, cuts in our days off, increases in our working hours among others.

CV580Freak

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:21 am

Anyone done the GF DUB/BAH ???, the last time I was in BAH a few of the GF F/a's said that they were fighting to get on that route for the craic on a two day stop over......
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

Shamrock133

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:12 pm

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2007/01/logan_to_get_ne_1.html

I just saw this today, FlyGlobeSpan to operate Boston-Knock twice a week. I'm not really familiar with them, anyone know what they plan to operate this run with?? I saw on their site that they have 737-800's but do they have anything else?
"Shamrock 132, runway 4L cleared for takeoff"

tonymctigue

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 21):
Competition will certainly be heating up when these partnerships are implemented. I've noticed alot of Continental advertising in the Irish media recently. Expect these big boys to put up a strong fight when EI come to take their passnegers.

I've noticed this too & the ads are worded in such a way that they encourage passengers who want to make connecting flights. I believe the wording of the ads are is something along the lines of "Fly direct to New York from Dublin/Shannon but Why Stop There?"

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 23):
On another note, this should make it easier for EI to get a better idea of where direct service from DUB/SNN might work. It should also help to keep SNN viable.

This is a good point. If there was a good secection of codeshare flights available from SNN then in the hopefull in the OS environment people will choose to fly from SNN & make their connecting flight in the US rather than travelling to DUB.

Quoting Shamrock133 (Reply 31):
I just saw this today, FlyGlobeSpan to operate Boston-Knock twice a week. I'm not really familiar with them, anyone know what they plan to operate this run with?? I saw on their site that they have 737-800's but do they have anything else?

We were discussing this on the last forum & someone mentioned that they would use a B738 until their B752's arrive.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

shamrock350

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Quoting AerArann (Reply 28):
The Aer Lingus Service Statistics For January '07 Are Quite Impressive

Seems to be getting better after the summer and winter problems with A330s, terror alerts and fog.
Hopefully they can keep that up. They are the second most punctual airline in LHR after BD.

Quoting CV580Freak (Reply 30):
Anyone done the GF DUB/BAH

I would love to but I spent a lot of money flying EI to DXB last year.

Another good profit for FR!
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=07&month=feb&story=reg-en-050207

OA260

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:45 pm

Jee, a weekend away and the Irish thread is up again and flying as usual!!!

Ok took off from DUB on LX on Saturday. Gonna do a trip report and I got some nice pics if I do say so myself. Will upload tonight. Saw the VS plane in the SR hanger and got a pic also. Also saw SATA International yesterday in the A gates area and A320. Also LTE plane in the C Gates.

That Globespan is a good service but the fares are very expensive. I know someone was looking at them and in the end booked from Dublin with another carrier that were cheaper.

Re: Eurocypria, at the moment they are flying DUB to LCA and selling it on their website but also its a Budget Travel shared flight with CY.
12FEB 12FEB 1...... DUB LCA 1445 2130 @CY1981 737
11FEB 1...... DUB LCA 1540 2225 @CY1981 737
13FEB 1...... DUB LCA 1540 2225 @CY1981 737

By the way just looked at the photo on my camera . The VS plane in SR hanger was indeed a A340. It was taken on Saturday at 1250.

Landing into Dublin on Sunday was an experience , we were comming into land and I thought we were still in the clouds , next thing we hit the runway . The fog was very bad, suprised we landed.

Toulouse

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 34):
Landing into Dublin on Sunday was an experience , we were comming into land and I thought we were still in the clouds , next thing we hit the runway . The fog was very bad, suprised we landed.

I had two experiences.

One thanfully was on an EI A320. Similar thing, while I though we were still fairly high up in the clouds, one of the F/A's announced "Ladies and gentlemen, this is one final reminder to ensure that you have your seatbelts fastened, seatbacks in the... bla bla... as we are about to land at DUB". About 5 second later, thud, we were on the ground.

Now a few summers ago I was on a Cityjet AF 146 from CDG-DUB in August, an evening flight, heavy fog in DUB, so we circled for a while, made two attempts to land and both where aborted, circled a bit more then diverted to SNN due to fuel. Of course all the "more" modrn aircraft were landing, but not our BAE 146. Spent the night in SNN, the whole response from Cityjet was TERRIBLE, and in the end the following morning an Aer Rianta woman told me I'd be quicker taking a taxi to Limerick and getting the train, which I did and was in DUB around noon. I saw on Aertel that my AF flight finally arrived in DUB at around 4pm.
Long live Aer Lingus!

ThrottleHold

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 26):
I really wonder how much we can trust Ryanair's punctuality statistics they publish online.

Of course you can't. It's published by FR, so therefore is most likely spin or pure lies.
It' s the same with their claims about staff numbers. They always just mention permanent stafff, but never include the 100's, if not 1000's that they have on contract.

shamrock350

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:57 pm

I've had many experiences landing in bad weather at ORK. It can be very scary at times because of the low clouds and fog that effects Cork so often. I was on a 737 flying into ORK when we made some very sharp turns to line up with the runway and just as the aircraft's wings started to level we hit runway 17 and I could barely see the lights of the airport as we slowed down. I'll always remember the reactions of many of the passengers when we landed, it was quite funny but understandable.

Ryanair's load factor for January was 71% which is very similar to Aer Lingus load factor for late 2006 but Ryanair's operating costs are much lower than Aer Lingus. So that's where FR have the advantage over EI!

OA260

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:11 pm

Oh also one thing I saw a BAE146 of Air France operating a ZRH-CDG AF5107 at 1750 on Saturday. It was operated by Cityjet!!! I didnt know they did these routes!!! ZRH has a really good viewing area.

rineanna

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 38):
Oh also one thing I saw a BAE146 of Air France operating a ZRH-CDG AF5107 at 1750 on Saturday. It was operated by Cityjet!!! I didnt know they did these routes!!! ZRH has a really good viewing area.

Yes, Cityjet operate several routes for AF other then the Irish routes under a franchise agreement. These include:
CDG-BHX
CDG-EDI
CDG-Gothenburg
CDG-ZURICH
CDG-Florence (146 NEEDED FOR SHORT RUNWAY)
ORY-LCY

kaitak

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:57 pm

I was in FLR last May and saw a few AF/Cityjet 146s (and Lufty RJ85s); very interesting airport to fly into; I flew Meridiana - on an A319 (see next month's Airways!) - there is a mountain at the end of one of the the runway, so they land and take off in opposite directions; horrible little airport, I have to say. No viewing until you get airborne and then, only very limited.

I'm now at LGW, looking out onto the apron as an NWA 330 takes off - boy, that's a good looking airplane! - and hoping that Flybe doesn't make the dog's breakfast it made of my flight here yesterday morning.

Anyway, nothing much in the papers yesterday about EI, but when is the NIB supposed to make its report about EI ?

Incidentally, it's just being reported that Michael Cawley of FR says that the airline might renew its bid for EI after the EU's competition ruling, due in May.

[Edited 2007-02-05 15:01:56]

kaitak

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:08 pm

Ryanair is now saying that if it gets a reasonably clean bill of health from the EU on competition grounds (my words, not theirs), they may look again at renewing their purchase plans for the airline.

rineanna

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 40):
Anyway, nothing much in the papers yesterday about EI, but when is the NIB supposed to make its report about EI ?

Early next week according to the Indo:
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...hp3?ca=9&si=1770044&issue_id=15220

Toulouse

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 38):

This is standard, as Rineanna explained. Remember Cityjet is now a wholly-owned franchise of AF.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 40):
very interesting airport to fly into; I flew Meridiana - on an A319 (see next month's Airways!) - there is a mountain at the end of one of the the runway, so they land and take off in opposite directions

And a main road and flats at the other end! What was taking off like in the 319? I took one of Luftys RJ85's on a flight to Florence from Toulouse via Munich... that was one memorable takeoff. Full throttle seemed to be applied with brakes on for about a minute as the plane just shuddered and vibrated, and as the brakes were release off we went, thrown back into our seats like on a rocket.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Pe@rson

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:17 pm

When's the first (or next) Irish get-together? It'd undoubtedly be considerable fun, at least if no Irish turn up.  Silly Just kidding.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ac747

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 34):
Re: Eurocypria, at the moment they are flying DUB to LCA and selling it on their website but also its a Budget Travel shared flight with CY.

Thanks for that OA260. So, I'm guessing their main market would be irish leisure travellers. Not too many Cypriot residents travelling here ?
No luck yet trying to figure out the TP/AeroCondor DUB to Ponta Delgada flights. They start in May, according to the TP website and Dublin airport site with a 320.
TP call it a codeshare with AeroCondor, so I'm wondering is it just AeroCondor piggy backing on TP metal ?
I know SATA have been flying to the Azores from DUB for quite a while, seems like an interesting fukll sched op for Summer.

OA260

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting AC747 (Reply 45):
No luck yet trying to figure out the TP/AeroCondor DUB to Ponta Delgada flights. They start in May, according to the TP website and Dublin airport site with a 320.
TP call it a codeshare with AeroCondor, so I'm wondering is it just AeroCondor piggy backing on TP metal ?
I know SATA have been flying to the Azores from DUB for quite a while, seems like an interesting fukll sched op for Summer.

This may help!!!! Its is in fact TP taking some seats on the S4 (SATA) flight!!!

....5.. DUB PDL 1420 1700 S4 545 320
....5.. DUB PDL 1420 1700 @TP6655 320

shamrock350

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:39 am

Here's the link about Aer Lingus and it's plans to team up with American carriers to offer 100 new destinations. Enda Corneille, commercial director of Aer Lingus, talks about 3 or 4 airlines which will give EI amazing reach.
http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/st...D-qqqm=news-qqqid=20777-qqqx=1.asp
I'd love to know what airlines they are, any ideas? I talked about JetBule a few posts back.

ac747

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 46):
This may help!!!! Its is in fact TP taking some seats on the S4 (SATA) flight!!!

Fair play (once again !).
Mystery solved.
Nice to see the service treated as a fully scheduled op.

Thanks !

kaitak

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 47):
Here's the link about Aer Lingus and it's plans to team up with American carriers to offer 100 new destinations. Enda Corneille, commercial director of Aer Lingus, talks about 3 or 4 airlines which will give EI amazing reach.
http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/st...D-qqqm=news-qqqid=20777-qqqx=1.asp
I'd love to know what airlines they are, any ideas? I talked about JetBlue a few posts back.

I would have thought AA would be No1 on the list, but really, no matter who is was, this isn't the news we really want to hear; it's at best a short term solution. Today - indeed, round about now, US and EU negotiators should be thrashing out the Open Skies thing. I want to EI flying to more US destinations, not just feeding into the networks of US carriers.

There's no harm in this kind of agreement (i.e. interlining with US carriers, particularly if they do their share of selling EI and Ireland), but the key focus has to be on increasing US access. If EI were to get access to MIA and/or DFW, which would greatly expand the interlining between AA and EI, then that would certainly be worth celebrating.