747firstclass
Topic Author

New Faa Website

Thu Jul 20, 2000 10:32 pm

There is a new website www.fly.faa.gov that lists airport delays around the country. I was due to leave JFK for SFO and checked the website to find delays in SFO. It said there were delays over 2 hours. Called my airline and sure enough my flight is delayed 2 hrs. 15 min. So it does seem that the information provided is accurate. Thought i would pass this on.

OPNLguy

Beware

Fri Jul 21, 2000 12:21 am

Something to keep in mind here are that these types of delays being posted are often subject to sudden change.

SFO is the perfect example. Right now, the 900 foot overcast ceiling at SFO is generating the same kind of 2-hour delays at the departure points for various flights destined for SFO. If that ceiling suddenly dissapates such that SFO can resume simultaneous visual approaches to 28L and 28R, the acceptance rate for SFO doubles, the FAA delay program disappears, and flights can depart ASAP. Great news if you're already checked-in, boarding pass in hand for your XYZ-SFO flight, but not so great if you delayed leaving the house based on the supposed 2-hour delay.

Essentially, these web postings re: delays concern "projected" or "anticipated" delays, and any connection with reality is purely coincidental....

Cheers...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

j_hallgren

RE: New Faa Website

Fri Jul 21, 2000 11:06 am

And IF I had the time or ability to check this site prior to my two cancelled flights, I might have not been stuck overnite without some warning!

Next time I will have someone check it for me when I can't get online...

Of course, had I called DL before going on 2 hour bus ride to BOS, I would have found flight was cancelled 9 hrs BEFORE departure! BAD mistake!

But I was able to use this site after flight to verify reason for delays as i posted then...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!