Qantas767
Topic Author

Pilot Jumps From Aircraft During Emergency Landing

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:17 am

I don't have to say that if he had of remained with his aircraft he woud have survived...

Other reports are saying multiple witnesses saw him jump, the beach was very busy during the crash.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21170906-2,00.html
IF IT DON'T HOVER - DON'T BOTHER

MCIGuy

RE: Pilot Jumps From Aircraft During Emergency Landing

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:27 am

Wow, what a shame.
Maybe there was more to it than the engine out situation?
Airliners.net Moderator Team

Qantas767
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:25 am

The only thing that I could think of would be a fire in the cabin....Jumping is very extreme action...
IF IT DON'T HOVER - DON'T BOTHER

VEEREF

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:25 am

Condolences to the family of the pilot.

What is a "light twin engine Piper Cherokee"? I must be getting old, 'cause when I flew them they had only one engine!
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

SkyexRamper

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:56 pm

mmm...I striking this as total press BS! That sure looks like a tip tank from a Twin Comanche if anything. Note the latch type fuel door w/ chained rubber fuel cap and the position of the Nav light.

[Edited 2007-02-05 05:01:42]
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

swiftski

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:32 pm

It was a Piper Cherokee that went down this weekend in Lancashire too, also near the beach. Very sad.

Qantas747300

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:59 pm

So very sad.

What a horrible tragedy. I would very grateful if anyone could supply me with the registration of this aircraft as it departed my home airfield.

I do have to agree with you Qantas767. The only situation that I can think of that would warrant me to jump out of a "flying" aircraft would be fire; yet it is very early to speculate.

Condolences to the pilot’s family.

Qantas747300

CXfirst

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:08 pm

Maybe a bit of the point, but I was watching Sky Australia news the other day, and they said that the police might be seeing his death as an act of heroism, because it seems he could have landed on the beach (which is safer) but opted for the sea, as there were children on the beach.

-CXfirst

jcf5002

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting VEEREF (Reply 3):
What is a "light twin engine Piper Cherokee"? I must be getting old, 'cause when I flew them they had only one engine!

I was thinking the same thing...

Too bad we'll probably never know why the man thought it was a good idea to jump instead of a controlled ditch or landing...
Its always a sunny day above the clouds || CSEL, CMEL, CFI, CFII, MEI

KPWMSpotter

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:28 am

I can't help but doubt that the pilot actually jumped from the aircraft...

The report's only statement about a jumping pilot comes from a nine year old girl, who may have easily been confused about what she saw (debris falling from a damaged component or something?)
It almost contradicts another statement they published, stating that the aircraft was at a steep angle. I just don't find it logical that a pilot would take his attention away from the controls for long enough to jump when he was in a dive already...

There's definitely more of a back story to this crash than this article is able to report from the preliminary data...and it's really hard to tell what could have truly happened from whats provided. Condolences to the pilot and all involved nonetheless.
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

Qantas747300

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:06 pm

The Gold Coast bulletin has confirmed that the pilot DID NOT try and jump from the aircraft before impact. This exact aircraft (VH-DIC) and pilot were both involved in an accident some months ago. The paper also reports that the pilot had serious safety concerns about the Comanche and even commenting that he wouldn’t be surprised if it killed him one day.
This aircraft was owned by Dick Smith some years ago, hence the registration.

It has made front page news here two days in a row. Very tragic.