ramprat74

PDX Info

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:30 am

The word around the water cooler up here in PDX is. They will be moving all the CTX machines down to the Delta bagroom. As of right now, Delta has seven piers in their bagroom. They only use three with their current flight schedule. So there should be plenty of room for the four machines. It will be one heck of a job to reroute all the bag belts from the different counters into this one area. We will see how long this takes.

flypdx

RE: PDX Info

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:10 pm

sounds interesting. Can you explain the setup of a bagroom, and what exactly piers are for those of us not in the know? Will this require a large renovation project?

Chugach

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:52 pm

If it means passengers don't have to drag their already-tagged bags over to the current machines, then I'm all for it!

ramprat74

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting Chugach (Reply 2):
If it means passengers don't have to drag their already-tagged bags over to the current machines, then I'm all for it!

Thats the plan.

Piers are just long bag belts. You can place baggage carts on either side of them. Delta used all seven of their belts when they had a hub here in PDX.

LHboyatDTW

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:06 pm

interesting news indeed. What about NW? They seem to have a rather large presence in PDX with their many flights to MSP and Hawaii and not to mention their A332 service to NRT (I've heard it isn't doing so well, can anyone confirm?). Perhaps they might make their seasonal DTW-PDX-DTW flight year round. Anything from the rumor mill concerning that?

I'm really hoping for that as it would make visiting my relatives out there a helluva lot easier knowing F9/UA gave me hell in DEN (Feb 24 2006).

crossfingers 
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

HPRamper

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:12 pm

DL's belts are different from anyone else's in that they are not circular but straight.
They have been talking about doing this for some time (bags being taken to one spot "belowdeck" so to speak) but I didn't know they would be using the Delta bagroom. It will be quite a project...I don't know if they are going to have people continuously running bags downstairs, or if they will change the entire counter-belt system around.

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 4):
What about NW? They seem to have a rather large presence in PDX with their many flights to MSP and Hawaii and not to mention their A332 service to NRT (I've heard it isn't doing so well, can anyone confirm?). Perhaps they might make their seasonal DTW-PDX-DTW flight year round.

NW has really shrunk here over the past few years. Now they only have around five or six flights a day including the one to HNL and one to NRT. Not too long ago it was more like four or five daily just to MSP with a couple to DTW year round. I just don't see them starting any more new frequencies until the airline itself is in better shape.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos