planemanofnz

NZ Upgrades Domestic Service To Include IFE

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:09 am

Hi,

Was just on the Air New Zealand website and came across this,

"You will also be able to enjoy in-flight entertainment on selected domestic services between Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown, and Dunedin. Relax with 'Getaway' which showcases the best holiday spots from around the globe, or enjoy the 10 audio channels from the in-seat audio offering. Passengers are welcome to use their own headphones as the offering is compatible with most personal audio device headphones. Alternatively, headphones will be available at the gate when you board for just $2.00, these are yours to keep and can be used on your next Air New Zealand flight."

Also want to note that NZ has just re-named it's in-flight magazine to "KiaOra."

Big version: Width: 206 Height: 262 File size: 20kb

http://www.airnz.co.nz/travelinfo/on...plane/economy/default.htm#domestic
http://www.airnz.co.nz/travelinfo/on...lane/inflight_magazine/default.htm

How much longer will QF be able to stay in the market when NZ keeps updating their product?

ZKSUJ

RE: NZ Upgrades Domestic Service To Include IFE

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:29 am

Wow, great news. 2 bucks for head phones is very cheap.

oznznut

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:02 am

But 2 bucks is not cheap for a soft drink. Do I get the whole can? Of course, they did say I could bring my own. How about a bucket of KFC. Should be able to make a nice profit on the plane!

axio

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 am

I take it 'select' services means those flown by 733s (and the odd bigger jet)?
Time for a new viewing deck at AKL!

aircanada014

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:12 am

Thats pretty good to see our fellow Star Alliance partner continues to upgrade  Smile

workflyer

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am

Select does mean jet services.

The IFE will not exactly be seat back though. It will be on the drop down screens that come down from below the overhead baggage.

You can save the two bucks and bring your own ears.

pilotdude09

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:09 pm

They always have offered the 10 channel audio, you just needed to plug your head phones in. Getaway is a good show but they need to offer a programming like QF.
A good thing for NZ to introduce would be morning, midday and evening news and on the earlier flights between say AKL and WLG have the Business show that is on before Breakfast on TV One. But on the later shows show the Getaway and News.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

planemanofnz

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting Axio (Reply 3):
I take it 'select' services means those flown by 733s (and the odd bigger jet)?

Nearly all flight between AKL, WLG, CHC, DUD and ZQN are jet operated. However I do wonder what will happen on the 772 CHC-AKL services and can pax use the AVOD on it?

Quoting AirCanada014 (Reply 4):
Thats pretty good to see our fellow Star Alliance partner continues to upgrade

Yes. It is very good for connecting passengers especially those from Business Class.

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 6):
They always have offered the 10 channel audio, you just needed to plug your head phones in.

No they haven't. They have been working under the express brand which has operated since 2002. This did not include audio, video or food services. Of course this excludes 320 and 772 flights.

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 6):
A good thing for NZ to introduce would be morning, midday and evening news and on the earlier flights between say AKL and WLG have the Business show that is on before Breakfast on TV One.

Completely agree. Maybe we can see this in the near future? I also think that another neat feature NZ could introduce would be either :

a.) A video showing pax how to connect to the International terminal in Auckland on all flights to AKL.
b.) A list on the screen showing the status and gate of connecting flights.

[Edited 2007-02-07 06:42:01]

pilotdude09

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 7):
No they haven't. They have been working under the express brand which has operated since 2002. This did not include audio, video or food services. Of course this excludes 320 and 772 flights.

Everytime ive flown on a NZ 733 i have been able to listen to their audio, maybe im just lucky?

777ER
Crew

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Thread starter):
"You will also be able to enjoy in-flight entertainment on selected domestic services between Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown, and Dunedin.

All those routes are mostly operated by B733/A320, apart from WLG-CHC which is a mixture of B733 and ATR72, so basically all jet services.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

9MMAR

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Great. Something that MH should offer on their domestic routes. Even GA had some IFE on their domestic flights. What is KiaOra means? What's the former inflight magazine called?

cchan

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 7):
what will happen on the 772 CHC-AKL services and can pax use the AVOD on it?

I have flown NZ98 CHC-AKL last October. The AVOD was not available (the system was on and stayed at the welcome screen). No video, no games, no music, no flight maps...and unless the previous passenger from Japan hasn't used his/her headphone, you won't get a headphone at CHC. You also can't buy duty free at AKL if you are a domestic passenger from CHC! There was a lot of extra walking and waiting (you need to get throught the MAF queue at AKL, and you need to be at CHC airport at least 1 hour before departure) involved in getting NZ90 or NZ98 from CHC to AKL, so unless you are a die-hard 777 fan or desperate to save a few dollars (sometimes NZ90 and NZ98 are the cheapest option), it is not worth the trouble.

777ER
Crew

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:28 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 10):
What is KiaOra means?

KiaOra means Hello and Welcome in Maori
Head Forum Moderator

NZ107

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:56 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 1):
Wow, great news. 2 bucks for head phones is very cheap

If I'm not mistaken: QF's is free..? I had noise cancelling headsets last time I flew on them so I didn't get one..

It is a good improvement from not having anything I must say. Do these planes have the technology to receive the live tv? I thought that the "dome" on top of the fuselage is the communications hub,

ie:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Carlos Aleman - SJU Aviation Photography

And how much would this cost? Even our A320s don't have them so we'd be waiting a while for an upgrade of the 733s if it wasn't worth it.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

nzrich

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:56 pm

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 8):
Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 7):No they haven't. They have been working under the express brand which has operated since 2002. This did not include audio, video or food services. Of course this excludes 320 and 772 flights.
Everytime ive flown on a NZ 733 i have been able to listen to their audio, maybe im just lucky?

Most 733's have the entertainment available exc some aircraft and usually the music channels were still on as they did some international flying also ..
"Pride of the pacific"

ZKSUJ

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 13):
If I'm not mistaken: QF's is free..?

But do you get to keep them?

I was refering and comparing to those in stores, 2 bucks is cheap in comparison to some places where the cheapest you find is ten to fifteen bucks

777ER
Crew

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 15):
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 13):
If I'm not mistaken: QF's is free..?

The two QF flights I've been on, you needed to hand back the headsets
Head Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 9):
All those routes are mostly operated by B733/A320, apart from WLG-CHC which is a mixture of B733 and ATR72, so basically all jet services.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't CHC-DUD and CHC-ZQN also a mixture of B733 and ATR72?

Also, it would not be all jet services as said above, the ex-freedomair aircraft still don't have the fold down screens, do these have audio though?

777ER
Crew

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:21 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 17):
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't CHC-DUD and CHC-ZQN also a mixture of B733 and ATR72?

CHC-DUD doesn't have any direct B733s, CHC-ZQN only has one jet service
Head Forum Moderator

NZ107

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 15):

What other use do you have with them though? If you're given a pair every flight, you can just use them there without having to worry about putting them in your carry-on etc. What other uses do these headphones with the double prong plug have? I don't see any. Unless you want to carry an adaptor around all day every day, you may as well buy an MP3 player or something similar which has headphones and then enjoy your own music.

planemanofnz

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:28 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 18):
CHC-DUD doesn't have any direct B733s, CHC-ZQN only has one jet service

Well then CHC-ZQN, you get what I mean.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 19):
What other use do you have with them though?

Nothing I guess, but it's cheap enough so that the passenger won't care about having to get their money's worth out of the headset.

NZ107

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:44 pm

But one thing of QF's that is better: the free food. Air NZ's cookie is nothing more than an (old) 50 cent coin in size. Call that a biscuit? I'd rather cut $1 off the price of my fare. At least QF's is more decent, not that people will want to fly on QF just for that reason.

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 20):
but it's cheap enough so that the passenger won't care about having to get their money's worth out of the headset.

But what beats FREE ones on QF?

nzrich

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:36 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 19):
What other use do you have with them though? If you're given a pair every flight, you can just use them there without having to worry about putting them in your carry-on etc. What other uses do these headphones with the double prong plug have? I don't see any. Unless you want to carry an adaptor around all day every day, you may as well buy an MP3 player or something similar which has headphones and then enjoy your own music.

NZ does not use a double plug and definately not on the 733 A320 and 763 so you will be able to use the headsets in any other electronic device you have
"Pride of the pacific"

sqb7e

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:03 pm

Im not a fan of NZ and avoid flying them at all costs.

Last few flights I flew were bad and that was in J. Seems as though the staff are there to do you a favour and alot seem uninterested.

axio

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting Sqb7e (Reply 23):

Reminds me how the cabin crew - out of politeness - always finish with:
"Thank your for choosing to fly Air New Zealand"

Flying from PMR to DUD there ain't much choice people! And thanks to the cabin crew for rubbing salt in the wound. How about just: 'thank you for flying Air New Zealand'...

ax
Time for a new viewing deck at AKL!

nzrich

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Axio (Reply 24):

Flying from PMR to DUD there ain't much choice people! And thanks to the cabin crew for rubbing salt in the wound. How about just: 'thank you for flying Air New Zealand'...

Every airline i have flown has said something similar like that at the end of the flight.. Not just a Air NZ thing
"Pride of the pacific"

flyjetstar

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting Axio (Reply 24):

ax

You could have driven or taken the bus, I suspect that's what they mean. You did therefore made a decison to fly Air New Zealand.

[Edited 2007-02-07 23:42:35]

planemanofnz

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:28 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 21):

But one thing of QF's that is better: the free food.

Yeah, I guess QF is good that it offers everything for free, but I'm pretty happy that NZ is at least giving me the option if I want it. The new domestic upgrade may not be phenomenal but every little bit counts.

Quoting Sqb7e (Reply 23):

I agree that they have their issues but whenever I fly with them I always think that the service is excellent. Seating could be a bit better but I really don't care as long as the F/A's produce quality service.

Quoting WorkFlyer (Reply 5):
The IFE will not exactly be seat back though. It will be on the drop down screens that come down from below the overhead baggage.

Well these screens are better positioned for passengers sitting at the window as opposed to passengers on QF who have to strian their neck to watch the screen in the middle of the aircraft.

I know it won't happen but imagine if NZ decide to replace the 733's with 318/319's and get PTV's installed  angel 

workflyer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:43 am

Even though AirNZ's 733s are amongst the youngest flying, they will need to be replaced someday, so you never know your luck. There may well be PTVs on the domestic fleet one day.

I don't understand the amount of knocking that Air NZ gets on here. They fly more often to more locations at a price (on a relative basis) that has never been cheaper and people are still not satisfied. All the calls for a meal service on sectors which are only 45 mins long is ridiculous. Even the longest domestic sector is less than 2 hours and a biscuit and a coffee is more than adequate. BTW, I do not hold shares in the airline and I do not work for them. I just fly reasonably frequently.

ZKSUJ

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting WorkFlyer (Reply 28):
I don't understand the amount of knocking that Air NZ gets on here. They fly more often to more locations at a price (on a relative basis) that has never been cheaper and people are still not satisfied. All the calls for a meal service on sectors which are only 45 mins long is ridiculous. Even the longest domestic sector is less than 2 hours and a biscuit and a coffee is more than adequate. BTW, I do not hold shares in the airline and I do not work for them. I just fly reasonably frequently.

I do agree with you.

Every airline has their bad and good apples in terms of crew. As mentioned above, the "thank you for flying..." is said everywhere.

...And a cookie is not alot but in saying that the flights are not exactly very long in duration.

airnewzealand

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting Planemanofnz (Thread starter):
How much longer will QF be able to stay in the market when NZ keeps updating their product?

LOL...I LOve it, even though QF offers everything NZ does and its free... NZ never "update" their product past QF's offerings, and NEVER will!!

As someone has mentioned, its all about price in NZ! Ill take the cookie or the free Chicken Pie... and for the price i paid... Im thankful im even getting that!!!

Cheers
safe flying!

flyjetstar

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 30):
LOL...I LOve it, even though QF offers everything NZ does and its free... NZ never "update" their product past QF's offerings, and NEVER will!!

I assume you are talking domestic because isn't NZ's international long-haul more "current" than QF's? Its hard to compare because such things are personal preference but objectively aren't NZ doing well against QF?

777ER
Crew

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 20):
but it's cheap enough so that the passenger won't care about having to get their money's worth out of the headset.

Something does beat the free headphones and then having to hand them back at the end is you get to keep the headphones from the NZ flight and use it on your CD/MP3/I-pod
Head Forum Moderator

Zkpilot

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Even though AirNZ's 733s are amongst the youngest flying, they will need to be replaced someday, so you never know your luck. There may well be PTVs on the domestic fleet one day.

I don't understand the amount of knocking that Air NZ gets on here. They fly more often to more locations at a price (on a relative basis) that has never been cheaper and people are still not satisfied. All the calls for a meal service on sectors which are only 45 mins long is ridiculous. Even the longest domestic sector is less than 2 hours and a biscuit and a coffee is more than adequate.

Firstly a belated welcome to A.net...
Yeah totally have to agree with you there... although there are many passionate NZ supporters out there also. But yeah people just can't be satisfied even though as you said airfares have never been more affordable etc.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

777ER
Crew

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:24 pm

I don't need a biscuit/snack on NZs domestic flights, but the water is nice. The only reason I have one (or 2-3) biscuits are because they are nice. When I flew QF last year I ended up saving the sandwich for when I was actually hungry. If people can't survive 45mins-1.5 hours for a domestic flight without eating something then something is wrong with them.
Head Forum Moderator

sqb7e

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:52 pm

Quote:
don't understand the amount of knocking that Air NZ gets on here.

Its hard to be satisfied with an airline when the staff are unhappy and it reflects in the service they provide. Flew HKG/AKL sector in J last Sep and the service was was very average. After asking for another pillow the FA responded "bring your own pillow if you want two". To make matters worse during decent into AKL the FA was moaning to the IFS about how bad her job was and how she might just go back and do checkin. This could be heard throughout most of the J cabin and was rather embarrassing!

NZ107

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 22):
definately not on the 733 A320 and 763 so you will be able to use the headsets in any other electronic device you have

Oh yeah, that's right. My bad. Must be because I haven't used them in a long time. If they are the same as the other cheap headphones on all other flights, who would want them? Not as though you are going to take them out anywhere - earphones are much more comfortable and more compact etc.

Will the selection be the same as the non-CD audio section offered in the other aircraft?

pilotdude09

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 36):
Will the selection be the same as the non-CD audio section offered in the other aircraft?

I'm guessing it would be the same audio as is available right across the board, 767, A320, 747, 777 etc..

cchan

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting SQB7E (Reply 35):
Flew HKG/AKL sector in J last Sep and the service was was very average.

I flew on NZ a number of times between AKL-HKG, AKL-KIX, and AKL-RAR in the past years. Although not as bad as described in SQB7E's post, I have this strange feeling that AKL-HKG has inferior service compared to AKL-KIX and AKL-RAR. It maybe personal preference, the food on their HKG flights was not as nice as on the KIX flights (RAR flights don't get a full meal), and service standards on KIX and RAR are better than HKG.

nzrich

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Quoting SQB7E (Reply 35):
Its hard to be satisfied with an airline when the staff are unhappy and it reflects in the service they provide. Flew HKG/AKL sector in J last Sep and the service was was very average. After asking for another pillow the FA responded "bring your own pillow if you want two". To make matters worse during decent into AKL the FA was moaning to the IFS about how bad her job was and how she might just go back and do checkin. This could be heard throughout most of the J cabin and was rather embarrassing!

Hey im going to say i work as cabin crew and yes at the moment there are some issues esp around the ground staff.. On the whole thou the staff are not un happy and on the whole this does not reflect on the majorities service .. I have seen many times where there has been bad times in the company and i have always been proud most of the employees ground and air do a professional job ..Unfortunately every airline/company has bad eggs and im sure where you work you can name some too .. Its a fact in this world there will always be bad eggs , tired staff who dont give 100% but there will always be more staff that go the extra mile that you just haven't met yet..

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 36):
Oh yeah, that's right. My bad. Must be because I haven't used them in a long time. If they are the same as the other cheap headphones on all other flights, who would want them? Not as though you are going to take them out anywhere - earphones are much more comfortable and more compact etc.

Yes same entertainment as all international aircraft..

You may have to eat your words one day then !!!

Just take a look at the international side of things NZ used to be the airline whose offerings were worse than QF's now its QF trying to catch up !! It will be the same domestically one day..

QF may offer some extras at the moment but it just dropped a route domestically .. While Air NZ has more flights more options and many more destinations in NZ and is expanding routes in NZ !!! Or if you want we can go fly QF's older 733 than Air NZ's 733's .. Maybe if your ever flying out of ZQN when QF are having a bad day with its planes and see all the happy QF passengers being bussed to CHC and i have seen it happen quite often !! Where with more planes and flights than QF its rare that a NZ passenger would ever be bussed . Quite often we have QF's disrupted passengers on board the NZ services if we can fit them on..Service goes beyond just what is served on board its a whole package ..

Yes one airline may not be good in one area but excel in others ..
"Pride of the pacific"

RichardJF

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:36 am

Good to see them upgrading the IFE. Should have seat back tv's on local jets even if it's over the top. BBC and CNN would work well. Interesting news re tiger. EK testing local political reaction with LAX. DXB-IAH bit of a worry. Could see a couple of 77L based at AKL for MEX and IAH.

airnewzealand

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 39):
You may have to eat your words one day then !!!

Just take a look at the international side of things NZ used to be the airline whose offerings were worse than QF's now its QF trying to catch up !! It will be the same domestically one day..

QF may offer some extras at the moment but it just dropped a route domestically .. While Air NZ has more flights more options and many more destinations in NZ and is expanding routes in NZ !!! Or if you want we can go fly QF's older 733 than Air NZ's 733's .. Maybe if your ever flying out of ZQN when QF are having a bad day with its planes and see all the happy QF passengers being bussed to CHC and i have seen it happen quite often !! Where with more planes and flights than QF its rare that a NZ passenger would ever be bussed . Quite often we have QF's disrupted passengers on board the NZ services if we can fit them on..Service goes beyond just what is served on board its a whole package ..

Yes one airline may not be good in one area but excel in others ..

Are you really serious about QF trying to catch up to NZ??? Please enlighten me on how...
Both carriers offer a vastly DIFFERENT approach to service and offerings to pax!!!

Its funny how you failed to mention my other snippet... Read what i said...

Intl. YES, ofcourse AirNZ offer a great product, have i EVER motioned towards NZ not?? (Recently refurbished may i add)

Domestic: YES, AirNZ again have a good, solid product. I never debated that. Once again, read what i stated, if you read the second paragraph i said...

As someone has mentioned, its all about price in NZ! Ill take the cookie or the free Chicken Pie... and for the price i paid... Im thankful im even getting that!!!

I fly both carriers often (am flying NZ next week to NAN and then on the 25th to RAR), and think they are both fine. You get what you pay for. All that matters to me really is the crews...they really do make or break a flight, and NZ have some of the finest around!!

RichardJF

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 41):
I fly both carriers often (am flying NZ next week to NAN and then on the 25th to RAR), and think they are both fine. You get what you pay for. All that matters to me really is the crews...they really do make or break a flight, and NZ have some of the finest around!!

good point. NZ can't just run long haul from AKL because EK will have a superior case at AKL than NZ because they'll be able to fly things such as IAH and MEX that NZ wouldn't normally and probably shouldn't try to fly. The Mexican and Spanish governments won't stop EK flying BCN to Latin America because it's a good idea. So they might run places like MEX from 3-4 cities or something. Sheikh Mauktoum just wants to fly his planes everywhere so there will be much less pressure on EK managers for their routes to perform straight off meaning they can be much more adventurous. In reality the 787's will give you fragmentation at the New Zealand end whether you like it or not. Best not to attack "Hamilton going ahead".imo. Seasonal west-HLZ-LAX isn't that far fetched. Tight LCC LH hub and AKL for the leisurely visit to New Zealand takes the emphasis of unsaleable Queen Street/CBD and protecting the business long term. Think of it from an American tourists point of view.

nzrich

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:18 pm

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 41):
Are you really serious about QF trying to catch up to NZ??? Please enlighten me on how...
Both carriers offer a vastly DIFFERENT approach to service and offerings to pax!!!

Its an opinion just look at whats happening the NZ product is slowly being upgraded .. For ages NZ int was behind the ball park now its up with the best i think you will see the same domestically may not be right now but it will come ..It may also not be totally free either but the offerings on board will come eventually .. With Virgin in Australia going to bring in live tv i think you will see NZ making a vast improvement in its inflight offerings domestically to ensure it makes it difficult for virgin/pacific blue out of its domestic market .. Thats why i made that comment..

Also i said

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 39):
Yes one airline may not be good in one area but excel in others .

I agree that QF do have a good product in NZ ..But as i said service isnt just what you get on board and in those areas NZ beats QF in my opinion ..
"Pride of the pacific"

airnewzealand

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 43):
I agree that QF do have a good product in NZ ..But as i said service isnt just what you get on board and in those areas NZ beats QF in my opinion ..

And NZRich...in my opinion too!!!

Have a great weekend!

Safe flying.