scouse

What Are The Odds On Comp Int Upgrade NWA

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:39 am

What are the odds on a complimentary upgrade MSP to AMS on NWA next weekend. In my experience they have been more common during the summer but I seem to be able to get a lot of international upgrades one year and then none the next, even on the same routes about the same time of year.
Last year I flew between MSP and AMS 9 times and no upgrades at all, some very expensive Y $2400 tickets and some as cheap as you can get V $450 tickets. Most of the flights have been full in coach.
On the same range of tickets 3 years previously and while I was only a Gold elite I got 3 upgrades and one included my family.
Does this mean that they are selling more business class tickets to begin with or are the non revs filling the front of the cabin.
Love to fly

DL787932ER

RE: What Are The Odds On Comp Int Upgrade NWA

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:49 am

I don't know NW's program, but just to clear up a common misconception: a nonrev will never displace a ticketed passenger for a seat or for an upgrade. If you aren't getting the upgrade, it means paid J tickets or upgrades, or higher-level elites, are getting the seats. If there's a nonrev in J, you wouldn't have been upgraded anyway and the seat would have gone empty.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

burnsie28

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:25 pm

Typically NW will not upgrade for free full class tickets on international flights to WBC. Elites get automatic upgrades if available.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:47 pm

The odds of getting upgraded to WBC on NWA is extremely, extremely rare. The only time they will upgrade passengers from coach to WBC is when coach is oversold, also known as an "op-up." This situation is more likely to occur around holidays and during peak tourist season, when coach is more than likely to be full. Even then the process for upgrades in a combination of elite status & fare class.

Yes, WBC is a lot more full these days, especially due to the increase of international biz traffic and that the A330's offer less WBC seats than the DC-10's.

So in short, don't plan it, as its a very rare situation for this to occur.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 2):
Typically NW will not upgrade for free full class tickets on international flights to WBC. Elites get automatic upgrades if available.

NW does NOT give automatic upgrades to Elites on international flights. You either have to pay for it, or use miles if you are in an eligible fare class.

scouse

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:06 pm

thanks for the answers, I was aware that I would only get an upgrade if coach was oversold and wbc was not full but as I said in the original post most times coach has been full and I have been plat for the last 3 years so should be high up on the list for a possible upgrade.
I got more trans atlantic and trans pacific upgrades the previous 2 years 2002 and 2003 when I was only gold elite.
While waiting at the gate I have seen people getting called up to the podium which may have been for standby or upgrades.
It does seem lately that wbc is full of paid passengers so does this mean that this is a very profitable route for NWA?
Love to fly

Jano

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:24 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 3):
Yes, WBC is a lot more full these days, especially due to the increase of international biz traffic and that the A330's offer less WBC seats than the DC-10's.

It's the other way around. DC10 has 26 WBC seats, A332 has 32 WBC seats, A333 has 34 WBC seats.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 2):

I could only wish for this  Smile As an NW Plat (soon to be Gold again) I have been scoring only operational upgrades. Even that more often on KL (3x) than NW (1x) in last 5 years.

Regarding the OP question

Quoting Scouse (Thread starter):
What are the odds on a complimentary upgrade MSP to AMS on NWA next weekend.

I suggest you get KVS availability tool (it cost some $$ but it is very well worth its price). KVS will tell you how many seats there are open in each booking class.
The Widget Air Line :)

jcs17

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:30 pm

It's not good at all. If coach is full, but not overbooked, and there are ten seats availible in WBC, no one will go up front unless they have paid or used a mileage upgrade. You might hear the odd story about a Gold or Plat being upgraded on a Y/B fare, but it's not very often at all. I'm a Silver and have traveled on full NW flights trans-atlantic in the last couple years, I didn't get a sniff of WBC aside from embarking and disembarking the plane. Generally, it doesn't matter what fare level you're traveling on, they'll upgrade Elites first starting with Platinums.

UA on the other hand is notorious for being much more liberal in operational-upgrade scenarios.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:09 pm

Quoting Jano (Reply 5):
It's the other way around. DC10 has 26 WBC seats, A332 has 32 WBC seats, A333 has 34 WBC seats.

Good catch on your part. I was thinking actually more on the Trans-Pacs where a number of routes (SEA,SFO-NRT, etc.) used to be 742, and have had a significant reduction in WBC seats with the A330-200.

burnsie28

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 3):
NW does NOT give automatic upgrades to Elites on international flights.

Odd the one book that I used to have and a friend still has says they get complimentary upgrades on international flights.. maybe its because its like business or something.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:08 am

Complimentary elite upgrades on NW are available on flights within the 48 contiguous states, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Carribean, Central America, South America, and Mexico.

Flights to Europe, Asia, and Hawaii are not eligible for complimentary upgrades. So yes, some international travel does have complimentary upgrades, but on no flights into World Business Class.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos