noelg

BA To Charge Up To £240 For Second Bag!

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Haven't seen this posted yet:

British Airways is planning to add up to £240 to the cost of a return long-haul flight if passengers want to check in an extra bag.

Travellers on shorter international trips will face a bill of £120 and those on domestic journeys, £60.

The fees, which come in from Tuesday 13 February, will apply even if the combined weight of the two bags is below the allowance.

Full story at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6341129.stm

Toulouse

RE: BA To Charge Up To £240 For Second Bag!

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:41 pm

Wow that's a bit steep. And all us Aer Lingus travellers have been complaining about the recent introduction of baggage charges for all baggage checked-in on Aer Lingus, but at least it's only €8 per bag if you pay at the airport of €4 per bag if you pay online before travel.
Well that's what you get having WW at the head of the airline... we know all about it back in Ireland. Between MOL and WW, we really seem to breed fairly agressive airline CEO's on the emerald Isle!
Long live Aer Lingus!

TinkerBelle

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:50 pm

Holy $hit, that's a lot of money! To make matters worse, BA losses 7 out of 10 bags that go through LHR, at least in my experience. By 'lose' I mean getting your luggage 2-5 days later.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

LHRjc

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 1):
Wow that's a bit steep

thumbsup  Just what I was thinking ! 1st they stop Business Class travellers being able to take 2 bags into the cabin, now they introduce this. This is certain to drive business pax away I would've thought. At least it won't affect flights to the US as I'm off there in 5 weeks and I will definitely be taking 2 bags  Wink

Surely this is a bit of a gamble, or do BA know something we don't, i.e. that others will follow ? If they don't, BA could be in some trouble here.

JC
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

TinkerBelle

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 3):
1st they stop Business Class travellers being able to take 2 bags into the cabin, now they introduce this.

But business class travellers don't normally have a lot of luggage!
If you are going through hell, keep going.

zarniwoop

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:27 pm

Here's the details:

FIRST and Club World
Customers will be able to check three bags into the aircraft hold free of charge.

Club Europe and World Traveller Plus
Customers will be able to check two bags into the aircraft hold free of charge.

World Traveller*, Euro Traveller, BA Connect & UK Domestic
Customers will be able to check one bag into the aircraft hold free of charge.

each bag can be up to 23kg in each class. This does not apply to all destinations:

*World Traveller customers travelling / connecting to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations.

I'm not sure where the £240 comes from:

Excess baggage will be charged at a fixed fee per bag. The fixed fee is set according to whether the customer is travelling on a domestic (£30), shorthaul (£60) or longhaul (£120) flight.

LHRjc

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting Zarniwoop (Reply 5):
Here's the details:

Thanks for the info.

Will BA Executive Gold / Silver holders travelling in Y be entitled to the J allowances do you know ?

thanks
JC

zarniwoop

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:32 pm

BTW, I am flying on BA to heathrow tommorow and flying back on 16th Feb and at no point did BA tell me of the change. I just double checked and all it says is 23kg allowance, does not say anything about a single bag.

zarniwoop

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 6):
Will BA Executive Gold / Silver holders travelling in Y be entitled to the J allowances do you know ?

It dosent say anything in the update on the BA website. I took a quick look at the exec club section and nothing obvious.

Speedbird2155

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:35 pm

I would suggest you actually read the full details of the new policy at ba.com before accepting the views put across by the BBC.

The new baggage policy, which was announced last year but delayed due to the security events of August 2006, is basically based on number of pieces.

First and Club World - 3 bags
Club Europe - 2 bags
World Traveller Plus - 2 bags
World Traveller (former piece routes) - 2 bags
World Traveller (former weight routes), domestic and EuroTraveller - 1 bag

The new excess charges are based on number of pieces which the individual wishes to check in and in many cases, particularly on routes where the weight system applies (ie most of the world), the BA rate is better than other carriers, as it is a flat rate and doesn't depend on the weight of the bag.

zarniwoop

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:40 pm

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 9):
I would suggest you actually read the full details of the new policy at ba.com

My post in reply 5 was an almost exact copy from the BA website:

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/bgpolicy/public/en_gb

Speedbird2155

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:45 pm

Quoting Zarniwoop (Reply 10):
My post in reply 5 was an almost exact copy from the BA website:

Yeah, I saw that after...you might have posted that as I was typing. If only others had checked before believing the BBC.

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 6):

The baggage allowances are based on class of travel only. BA has never applied more to BAEC members.

soups

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:47 pm

Why do countries like Nigeria have 2 piece system and not weight? and this has nothing to do with government issues
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

noelg

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm not sure where the £240 comes from:

Excess baggage will be charged at a fixed fee per bag. The fixed fee is set according to whether the customer is travelling on a domestic (£30), shorthaul (£60) or longhaul (£120) flight

You said it yourself - £120 each way is £240 on a return flight.

Quoting Zarniwoop (Reply 7):
BTW, I am flying on BA to heathrow tommorow and flying back on 16th Feb and at no point did BA tell me of the change.

According to the Daily Telegraph, BA confirmed that its sales staff were instructed not to tell customers in advance when they booked their tickets.

I was watching Sky News last night and they were saying that BA were going to take cash on check in, and that they were keeping it from passengers until it actually happened, presumably to prevent people cancelling and going with someone else. Well now they've got the passengers by the short and curlies as they won't want to switch to anyone else now.

A bit sneaky really!

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 1):
Between MOL and WW, we really seem to breed fairly agressive airline CEO's on the emerald Isle!

LOL. Very true. But the thing is, both FR and BA are very profitable.

Anyway, I believe BE were the first in Europe to introduce the concept of paying to take checked-in luggage.

Those BA prices for a second bag are, of course, absurdly expensive. Has anyone yet paid it? (It's rather like its ridiculously expensive fuel surchage.)

Quoting Noelg (Reply 13):
BA confirmed that its sales staff were instructed not to tell customers in advance when they booked their tickets.

I wish all airlines - yes, most definitely including FR - would be crystal-clear in all respects in order for customers to have more information, rather than imperfect information, to make better-informed decisions.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Speedbird2155

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:06 pm

According to the Daily Telegraph, BA confirmed that its sales staff were instructed not to tell customers in advance when they booked their tickets.

I was watching Sky News last night and they were saying that BA were going to take cash on check in, and that they were keeping it from passengers until it actually happened, presumably to prevent people cancelling and going with someone else. Well now they've got the passengers by the short and curlies as they won't want to switch to anyone else now.

A bit sneaky really!

So sneaky that BA first advertised this in May last year, although implementation of the policy was later delayed. BA then announced in December 2006 that the implementation date for the plicy would be 13 Feb 2007. The information has also been posted on BA.com since that time. How this equates to 'keeping it from passengers' is beyond me.

The only reason people were not told was that there was a question over the implementation date. Since that was confirmed, we have indeed been advising passengers of the change. BA like all airlines has always charged for excess and this is just a revised policy which actually allows travellers to know before they arrive at the airport, what those charges are and also gives an opportunity to pre-pay and receive a discount.

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 3):
1st they stop Business Class travellers being able to take 2 bags into the cabin

BA has not stopped business travellers from doing such. The policy of the UK government is that travellers are only allowed one piece of hand luggage through UK airports. BA has to comply with this as do all airlines flying from any UK airport.

zarniwoop

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:07 pm

You said it yourself - £120 each way is £240 on a return flight.

When you put it that way, fair enough.

I wouldn't be surprised. I was trying to get some info from BA about a different issue. I spoke to three people on the phone, each of them gave me a different answer, all of which were different to the policy stated on the BA website.

LHRjc

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 15):
BA has not stopped business travellers from doing such. The policy of the UK government is that travellers are only allowed one piece of hand luggage through UK airports. BA has to comply with this as do all airlines flying from any UK airport.

Thanks for pointing that out, I stand corrected.

LGWspeedbird

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:19 pm

It just goes to show how rubbish the media are at times

Excess baggage will be charged at a fixed fee per bag. The fixed fee is set according to whether the customer is travelling on a domestic (£30), shorthaul (£60) or longhaul (£120) flight.

Correct

BA confirmed that its sales staff were instructed not to tell customers in advance when they booked their tickets.

What a load of rubbish, Checkin agents have been giving out leaflets explaning the new baggage policy for months now.

To me this new excess baggage policy will simplify things for both the passengers and us staff, no more arguments over that few kilos of excess!!
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

Pyrex

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 14):
I wish all airlines - yes, most definitely including FR - would be crystal-clear in all respects in order for customers to have more information, rather than imperfect information, to make better-informed decisions.

The whole airline business model is dependant on making things as untransparent as possible to customers so good luck in that happening.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

tcxdegsy

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting Noelg (Thread starter):
Travellers on shorter international trips will face a bill of £120 and those on domestic journeys, £60.

When BA prepared to launch the new allowances and excesses last year, and annouced the fees in June/July, they stated for Domestics it would be £30 per bag, and savings by pre-booking online would take it down to £26 per return journey.

This new offline price is exactly the same as the fee they charge currently for domestics, at £15 per bag one way, as I paid this in December.
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

BALAX

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting Noelg (Thread starter):
British Airways is planning to add up to £240 to the cost of a return long-haul flight if passengers want to check in an extra bag.

The fees, which come in from Tuesday 13 February, will apply even if the combined weight of the two bags is below the allowance.

I don't know if the amount charged will be changed, but the new policy will be pushed back to the end of September yet again. This is to be more accommodating due to the impending strike that never took place but that managed to displace so many passengers.

Revelation

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:31 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 3):
Surely this is a bit of a gamble, or do BA know something we don't, i.e. that others will follow ? If they don't, BA could be in some trouble here.

I would imagine they won't have too much difficulty getting others to follow. They know consumers look at the rates on-line first, and decide primarily based on that. Of course, the rates don't include all the taxes, and now, 'hidden charges' such as charging for bags. As predicted here on a.net, we should expect to see coin locks on the loos next.

If as stated above, these charges won't apply on US routes, then it would indicate that BA doesn't think its US competiors will be issuing a bag charge soon. I think it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for this to spread to the US. It's too clever an idea and too good a money-maker to not be under serious consideration at US airlines too.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

Bongodog1964

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 14):
Those BA prices for a second bag are, of course, absurdly expensive. Has anyone yet paid it? (It's rather like its ridiculously expensive fuel surchage.)

If you do the maths its about the going rate for excess baggage (providing the bag is near the 23kg limit) £120 / 23 = £5.21 per kg. The last time I looked at published rates for excess baggage £5.00 per kg seemed to be the norm.

One additional advantage to BA of this new policy is that passengers who have extra baggage will tend to pre pay for it, which will then make airport check in easier. As passengers will be able to check in over the internet or use the machines thus reducing staffing requirements. Passengers paying at the airport for excess baggage is a bit of a pain as it slows things down.

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 23):
If you do the maths its about the going rate for excess baggage (providing the bag is near the 23kg limit)

How strictly will it be enforced? Say I'm in World Traveller and have 3 bags. 2 are fine. But I have a third. That third bag weighs 5.7 kilos. Would I have to pay 120 GBP for it at the airport (assuming I didn't pre-pay)? If so, that'd be 21.05 GBP per kilo.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Bongodog1964

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 24):
How strictly will it be enforced? Say I'm in World Traveller and have 3 bags. 2 are fine. But I have a third. That third bag weighs 5.7 kilos. Would I have to pay 120 GBP for it at the airport (assuming I didn't pre-pay)? If so, that'd be 21.05 GBP per kilo.

Got it in one !!!!

BALAX

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:49 pm

Assuming you're flying long haul anything in excess of 2 pieces will be charged at GB120. If you prepay online you get a discount. Intercontinental (from North America)flights again will allow you to check in 2 pieces per pax if traveling world traveler or WTP at 32kg each. And to answer someone else's question earlier, if you are Gold or Silver flying WT or WTP you will be allowed the normal allowance for the class of service you are booked in.

Speedbird2155

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting BALAX (Reply 21):
I don't know if the amount charged will be changed, but the new policy will be pushed back to the end of September yet again.

The new policy hasn't been pushed back until September. The only aspect that has been extended is allowing passengers with more than 23kgs (but less than 32kgs) in a bag to take the bag without the need to repack, while being made aware of the 23kgs requirement. This allows passengers to become more aware of the weight limit.

All other aspects of the policy will be applied as of 13 Feb....ie number of pieces allowed and the excess charges.

How strictly will it be enforced? Say I'm in World Traveller and have 3 bags. 2 are fine. But I have a third. That third bag weighs 5.7 kilos.

Weight of the third bag is not the issue, as it would not be now if you were travelling on one of the current piece routes. So if you were travelling to the US in WT with 3 bags, you would pay for the third just as you do now.

[Edited 2007-02-08 11:51:34]

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:54 pm

Yeah, 120 GBP for per extra bag irrespective of weight (same maximum weight?). I understand that. But what if, say, you had two bags each weighing 12.5 kilos, so 30 kilos each. You also have a third bag, but that's pretty compact and weighs 3.2 kilos. What would be done? 120 GBP? Or would they advise to take it as carry-on (assuming you don't exceed that maximum)? Or turn a blind-eye? Or...?

noelg

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:06 pm

Quoting LGWspeedbird (Reply 18):
this new excess baggage policy will simplify things for both the passengers and us staff,

I really don't understand BA's argument that charging £240 for long haul, £120 for short haul and £30 for domestic is simplifying things, particularly as it seems certain destinations will be charged different rates within each band.

After all what's simpler than "You can have multiple bags up to a total of 23 kgs"?

Even if it were just to simplify matters, why is the price so extortionate compared to the other airlines charging around £5 for the same privilege?

I call BS on this one personally, it's just BA trying to make a quick buck and this passenger for one isn't going to fall for it.

DigbyDude

RE: BA To Charge Up To �240 For Second Bag!

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:17 pm

As a frequent passenger on BA , almost 56 flights in 2006 alone, but still a blue member (because I try to always get the low fare, and so don't collect tier points, but recently worked out that if I had an Iberia points card, I would have lounge access now!!!), I was struggling to justify the extra expense of flying BA over Easyjet between London - Madrid to my company, now I have even less of an argument.

I think it is a bad move from BA, less and less is separating them from a low cost carrier.

Don't get me wrong, I have been a fan of BA for many years, but now when I travel for 1 week to the UK with my 15Kg suitcase and my 5Kg suit carrier, I will be charged. Disgusting....

My poor grandmother, who flies out to visit me, prefers to take two small bags of around 6Kg each, as she manages two small bags better than 1 heavier bag, and now she is going to be charged !

Of course, I see the financial benefits to BA, but as a customer, I am very upset with this move...

This is of course is just my opinion.

A.

LHRjc

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:23 pm

I wonder if the likes of PM Blair and other VIP's will be charged too. Of course, on one hand they can afford it, but on the other hand it was reported in the press that the PM was booked into J whilst the rest of the family were in Y on a recent trip, so they're obviously not averse to a bargain  Wink

Door5Right

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:34 pm

It seems you can still get away with a bag up to 32 kilos till Sepetember.

"The new British Airways policy has a maximum bag weight of 23kg (51lbs). However, to allow our customers to become familiar with our new baggage policy and weight limitations, we will continue to accept bags at check-in weighing up to 32kgs for travel completed by 30 September 2007."
My soul is in the sky...

sparklehorse12

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:50 pm

How can Airlines justify this?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sometimes I wonder where greed will stop!

QF will be next just watch! Thank heavens I fly DJ and SQ internationally!
Airlines Flown : QF,NW,AA, CX, AC, MH, SQ, DJ, NZ, TG, PG,US, FJ, J8, AN, DD, JQ

a3

RE: BA To Charge Up To  For Second Bag!

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 pm

I am really surprised that a company like BA is using such cheap tricks to gain some money out of the people that are not frequent flyers. (cause frequent flyers now know that.)

Quoting DigbyDude (Reply 30):
Don't get me wrong, I have been a fan of BA for many years, but now when I travel for 1 week to the UK with my 15Kg suitcase and my 5Kg suit carrier, I will be charged. Disgusting....

My poor grandmother, who flies out to visit me, prefers to take two small bags of around 6Kg each, as she manages two small bags better than 1 heavier bag, and now she is going to be charged !

People like your grand mother, families that have to take several pieces of luggage etc.

I think that this kind of money squeezing procedures will only drive away (mostly non British) many passangers to others airlines and probably drive away people that use BA from their country to another passing through British airports transit.
It was already frustrating transferring through England , now it will be more expensive to !!!

This kind of move makes Ryanair looks really honest to its passengers.
Shame for the twisted brain that thought of that ¡­¡­
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

LGW

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:25 pm

This isn't new, VS already operate the same policy

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...rmation/baggage/baggagebypiece.jsp

For VS economy class :-

Two pieces of luggage per passenger, each weighing up to 23kg (51lbs). When added together, the three dimensions of any piece of luggage must not exceed 158cm (62in).

VS charge less than BA, granted but simply because this is BA is gets a huge amount of media attention, also expect many others to follow suit.

As for "how are airlines allowed to get away with this"? Do you think the person who flies with hardly any baggage should pay the same as someone who flies with half their life with them? Weight=fuel, fuel=money. Pay for what you take is a fair way of doing it, airlines have no obligation to let passengers fly with that they want, the old system was confusing and open to a lot of interpritation in terms of waiving some of the extra weight etc which in turn means the airline continually loses money as not all excess is properly charged for now everyone knows domestic £30, s/h £60, l/h £120 with no ambiguity.

The restrictive and useless hand baggage restrictions set out by the DfT are what annoy me more than airline's hold baggage rules, they also of course impact on the airline's plans, as Pe@rson says if you had a small, light bag which took you over the limit then before the hand baggage restictions you could just take it onto the aircraft as another bag of course.

Quoting A3 (Reply 34):
This kind of move makes Ryanair looks really honest to its passengers.

No secret has been made of this policy, despite what the media say and sadly it seems like people believe the media over the horses mouth, as usual.

Quoting A3 (Reply 34):
families that have to take several pieces of luggage etc

Family of 4 going to the States for a week or two, can take 8 bags at 32kgs each to start with going down to 23kgs each (with a 2kgs leeway) so 256kg for a family of four is not enough? or 2 bags each isn't enough? Understandably like with any new rule/regulation or policy some will be disadvantaged and it will take people time to get used to the new policy but I would be amazed if BA are alone in this type of policy.

[Edited 2007-02-08 13:32:23]

jonnywishbone

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:28 pm

Great...as a hand baggage only passenger, I look forward to a £ 60 refund... NOT!

LGW

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 36):
Great...as a hand baggage only passenger, I look forward to a £ 60 refund... NOT!

No, but at least you get to bypass all the queues of people moaning they can't take 17 bags each to KIN  Wink

Elite

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Time to use 1 big bag, then.

BALAX

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 27):
All other aspects of the policy will be applied as of 13 Feb....ie number of pieces allowed and the excess charges.

At least for us in the states, the only thing changing is the excess baggage fee becoming one, I guess. The baggage allowance is already in place, at least here.

Beaucaire

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:14 pm

With these tariffs it's cheaper to buy your wardrobe once on-site..
Works fine in Asia (specially Vietnam,where you can get a tailored suit for 50 £)
 Wink
Joke aside -BA might shoot themselves in the foot and lose customers to an extent ,that even the higher revenues through luggage fees wil not be compensated by the number of lost passengers.
American and Asian carriers serving the UK will exploit that new rule and rightfully so !!!
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Pyrex

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting LGW (Reply 35):
As for "how are airlines allowed to get away with this"? Do you think the person who flies with hardly any baggage should pay the same as someone who flies with half their life with them?

Do you think the anorectic model travelling to a show in New York should pay the same as the fat business guy travelling for a meeting? Or that the guy who went to the crapper at the airport should pay the same as the guy that preferred to hold it in? After all,

Quoting LGW (Reply 35):
Weight=fuel, fuel=money
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Aisak

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 41):
Do you think the anorectic model travelling to a show in New York should pay the same as the fat business guy travelling for a meeting?

Don't go that way or we'll end up sending everything as cargo. Passengers included

Ken777

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 am

Time for some competition to step in and take away a bit of BA's business. The fees are more than a bit rich and I don't see them lasting - at least at the current level. While I love flying BA I would quickly change to another airline to avoid an extra charge of around US $470.

Personally I always take 2 bags with the contents a fairly even split. Learned a long time ago that the airline can loose one bag and taking two leaves me with with some hope of having clean clothes to wear while the airline sorts out their SNAFU. (I know that I get 2 bags from the US, but most of my BA flights have been on RTW trips, making it rather difficult for agents to figure out the fees.)

With luck BA will be severely burned with this new fee and will reverse themselves before they loose too many customers. Definitely time for the competition to have a field day at BA's expense.

LGWspeedbird

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting Noelg (Reply 29):
I really don't understand BA's argument that charging £240 for long haul, £120 for short haul and £30 for domestic is simplifying things, particularly as it seems certain destinations will be charged different rates within each band.

Did you read the rest of my post and the thread read again!! £120 for Longhaul £60 for shorthaul £30 for domestics!

Quoting LGW (Reply 37):
No, but at least you get to bypass all the queues of people moaning they can't take 17 bags each to KIN

So true!!

Quoting Elite (Reply 38):
Time to use 1 big bag, then.

Yup 1 big bag but it cant weigh more than 23kgs!!
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

Door5Right

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:14 am

Quoting LGWspeedbird (Reply 44):
Yup 1 big bag but it cant weigh more than 23kgs!!

It can until 30th September! It says so on the BA website:

"To allow our customers to become familiar with our new baggage policy and weight limitations, we will continue to accept bags at check-in weighing up to 32kgs for travel completed by 30 September 2007."

[Edited 2007-02-08 16:15:24]
My soul is in the sky...

mush

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 2):
Holy $hit, that's a lot of money! To make matters worse, BA losses 7 out of 10 bags that go through LHR, at least in my experience. By 'lose' I mean getting your luggage 2-5 days later.

They have to do something to pay for the shipping costs of sending the bags onward to wherever their passengers may have gone.

haha...just kidding

thanks,
mush

P.S. I haven't read all of the posts so I don't know if anyone made the joke already...
Sprung from cages out on highway 9

Sketty222

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 3):
Surely this is a bit of a gamble, or do BA know something we don't, i.e. that others will follow

IMHO A lot of other airlines use BA as a precedent. Once BA introduce a policy then the other airlines bring the same thing in not too far in the future

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 6):

I asked this same question. I believe that this would help keep Gold's and Silver's happy as it would be a benefit to them (which are getting less and less these days)

Quoting Soups (Reply 12):
Why do countries like Nigeria have 2 piece system and not weight? and this has nothing to do with government issues

Nigeria used to have the piece system and then a couple of years ago it changed tot he weight system. For some reason this only lasted around 6months and it was changed to a piece system again. Why, I dont know!
Dont know if you have ever seen a Lagos flight checking-in but last time I did someone was trying to check in a car engine  crazy   crazy   crazy 

I work in the same office as sales staff and when people asked the question about baggage they were being advised of the new rules. As mentioned above, the date of implementation of this policy hadnt been agreed so sales agents couldnt advise of when the new rules would start from

How strictly will it be enforced? Say I'm in World Traveller and have 3 bags. 2 are fine. But I have a third. That third bag weighs 5.7 kilos. Would I have to pay 120 GBP for it at the airport (assuming I didn't pre-pay)?

You got it in one

People are saying this baggage policy is complicated but as pearson has shown above, its pretty easy to understand

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

LGW

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting Door5Right (Reply 45):
It can until 30th September! It says so on the BA website:

"To allow our customers to become familiar with our new baggage policy and weight limitations, we will continue to accept bags at check-in weighing up to 32kgs for travel completed by 30 September 2007."

That should read "So we don't pi$$ off our customers anymore after the problems caused by fog before Christmas, the loss of lots of bags at LHR and the threat of strike action we have decided to allow customers 6 months to get used to the new policy"  Wink

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 41):
Do you think the anorectic model travelling to a show in New York should pay the same as the fat business guy travelling for a meeting? Or that the guy who went to the crapper at the airport should pay the same as the guy that preferred to hold it in?

No need to get petty you know what my point was.

Door5Right

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting LGW" class=quote target=_blank>LGW (Reply 48):
That should read "So we don't pi$$ off our customers anymore after the problems caused by fog before Christmas, the loss of lots of bags at LHR and the threat of strike action we have decided to allow customers 6 months to get used to the new policy"

LOL - that did make me laugh out loud, Mr LGW!
My soul is in the sky...