KELPkid
Topic Author

PDX Makes Move To Lengthen RWY 10L/28R

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:03 am

Hi,

Saw this on the local news this morning (KGW), however no article to link to exists on their website.

PDX is inviting public comments on their plans to extend runway 10L/28R. This is in anticipation of a major resurfacing for runway 10R/28L in 2011, so that the airport will still be usable by heavies.

Unfortunately, this being Portland, I predict that the NIMBY's will be heard, quite loudly, on this one...

Also wondering which direction they are planning to expand in? Towards I-205 would seem to put aircraft even lower over the Glenn Jackson bridge and the flyover from I-205 northbound onto Airport Way...doesn't the Columbia River block expansion on the other end of the runway?
EDIT: Wouldn't expansion towards the Columbia side also affect GA traffic at VUO (Pearson Airpark) by putting airliners even lower over Pearson?

[Edited 2007-02-08 21:09:40]
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

ATCGOD

RE: PDX Makes Move To Lengthen RWY 10L/28R

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting KELPkid (Thread starter):
EDIT: Wouldn't expansion towards the Columbia side also affect GA traffic at VUO (Pearson Airpark) by putting airliners even lower over Pearson?

Yes, those airliners fly over Pearson at about 1000'. It's already a requirement to call PDX tower before departing Pearson.

Quoting KELPkid (Thread starter):
Also wondering which direction they are planning to expand in? Towards I-205 would seem to put aircraft even lower over the Glenn Jackson bridge and the flyover from I-205 northbound onto Airport Way...doesn't the Columbia River block expansion on the other end of the runway?

My initial thoughts when I saw this was that there really is not room for expansion for that runway. The river (and the road for that matter) jut back to the south not long after the end of 28R. The bridge already sees some pretty low approaches and Marine Drive would inhibit expansion on that end too. It'll be interesting.

chrisnh

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:34 am

I'm sure the NIMBY's will find some spotted Newt or a turtle they can use to grind the whole idea to a screeching halt.

jetboy319

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:05 am

If you go to flypdx.com and download the master plan (pdf document) you will see that there is indeed room to expand 10L/28R on the west end. Also, the website itself has a page dedicated to the expansion of 10L/28R and the resurfacing of 10R/28L.

ATCGOD

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:26 am

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 3):
If you go to flypdx.com and download the master plan (pdf document) you will see that there is indeed room to expand 10L/28R on the west end. Also, the website itself has a page dedicated to the expansion of 10L/28R and the resurfacing of 10R/28L.

Thanks for the link Jetboy. The expansion won't happen until 2009/2010...so this is still a ways off.

HPRamper

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 am

This has been in the works in one way or another for years...but I hope they go through with it. I have seen heavies use the north runway, but it's not common.

S12PPL

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:54 am

The Port has been trying to expand or add a runway for years, but they keep getting blocked at every turn. As it is, departing traffic from 10R/L have to make a hard left after departure to fly up the Columbia at night to reduce noise over neighborhoods. It's ridiculous how some people in Portland from miles away from the airport whine and complain about the noise.

PDX is getting to a point where they are going to either need to build another terminal building, or find some way to expand the C/D terminals. They wanted to add a third 28/10 runway I thought, but a golf course is in the way. Now that the Air Guard unit at PDX is so much smaller, perhaps they could re-locate their ramp and hangars to the west side of the field, and build a new terminal building where they currently are? Then they could dedicate most of terminal D to international service, and WN and/or AS could move to the new one?
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

phlstudent

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:02 am

not to get off topic, but I will be flying through PDX on my way to YVR in about 3 months. Does anyone know what the customs situation is like for travel to and from canada? and is PDX fast or slow for that? I will be connecting to an air canada flight going and then a United flight coming back. Thanks!

eva777sea

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 6):
PDX is getting to a point where they are going to either need to build another terminal building, or find some way to expand the C/D terminals.

I don't think they need more gates right now.

cirrusdriver

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting PHLstudent (Reply 7):
not to get off topic, but I will be flying through PDX on my way to YVR in about 3 months. Does anyone know what the customs situation is like for travel to and from canada? and is PDX fast or slow for that? I will be connecting to an air canada flight going and then a United flight coming back. Thanks!

You clear customs in YVR going in both directions.

lhpdx

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:01 pm

They are planning to expand 28R/10L on both ends................This will be sweet for spotters.................

BlatantEcho

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:18 pm

this has been in the master plan for a while now. I doubt the airport needs a 3rd parallel runway at this point. 10-15years? maybe

If they don't get the short runway extended, there's going to be big trouble getting the longhaul planes up and out.
They're not handing trophies out today

HPRamper

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:38 pm

PDX is getting to a point where they are going to either need to build another terminal building, or find some way to expand the C/D terminals.

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 8):
I don't think they need more gates right now.

I agree with EVA777SEA, there is plenty of room on both C and D. D hasn't been at capacity since Delta pulled down the hub, and I don't know if C ever has been. C at the moment has 4 (I believe) gates that are Port-controlled and used perhaps once or twice a day, and to park RON aircraft. D also has a few. Not to mention the leased gates are very lightly utilized in some cases. For instance, our second gate, C-19, which we use maybe twice a day and in case of diversions.

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 11):
I doubt the airport needs a 3rd parallel runway at this point.

Agreed. Especially when 28R-10L is extended to split heavy traffic, I don't see the relatively slow growth at PDX causing any kind of problem for many years to come.

ATCGOD

Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 5):
I have seen heavies use the north runway, but it's not common.

Just about every heavy could land on 10L/28R...the problem is taking off again fully loaded.

HPRamper

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 13):
Just about every heavy could land on 10L/28R...the problem is taking off again fully loaded.

When we were on the D concourse it was common to see the Delta 763s take off on 10L-28R. Occasionally a 747 would use it, but I'm assuming empty or with a very light load.

S12PPL

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 14):
When we were on the D concourse it was common to see the Delta 763s take off on 10L-28R. Occasionally a 747 would use it, but I'm assuming empty or with a very light load.

When I flew PDX-ATL in June 2003 on a Delta 763, we took off from 28R, and were off the ground by the first UA gate. Then again...we were only going to ATL  Smile

And, in '96 when we flew PDX-HNL on HA in the DC-10...I could have sworn we took off from 10L...But I was 12 at the time, so I could be wrong.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

PavlovsDog

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 2):
I'm sure the NIMBY's will find some spotted Newt or a turtle they can use to grind the whole idea to a screeching halt.

I think a lot NIMBY opposition to PDX is to the cross runway which brings a lot of noisy general aviation traffic over NE Portland at low elevation. Extending an existing runway won't change things a whole lot for most people.

Environmental opposition is another issue. People on the left have felt so disempowered for so long they're willing to raise hell over relatively minor issues like extending a runway. The fact that aviation is a very polluting form of transportation and probable contributor to global warming can only add fuel to the fire.

ATCGOD

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 14):

When Delta used to fly the MD-11's into PDX, they used to land on 10L all the time. I'm quite certain most of the smaller heavy's (A330, B767) could land and depart just about fully loaded on that runway right now. The main concern would have to be LH's A340 (and sometimes B744), and the UPS heavys that frequent PDX. I'm not sure what other heavys use PDX other than the NWA A330. 8000' is still quite a long runway.

11Bravo

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting PavlovsDog (Reply 16):
Environmental opposition is another issue. People on the left have felt so disempowered for so long they're willing to raise hell over relatively minor issues like extending a runway. The fact that aviation is a very polluting form of transportation and probable contributor to global warming can only add fuel to the fire.

I think your disenfranchised eco-nut conspiracy is off the mark. Most of it is probably much simpler than that.

Some people just don't like the noise. I know several people who live near PDX. None of them like the noise. None of them are environmentalists.

I'm perfectly content to have jets fly over my house, and that's probably true of the vast majority of people on this site, but the people who don't care for it, and I suspect that's a lot of people, have every right in the world to express thier opposition to airport expansion.
WhaleJets Rule!

KELPkid
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:48 am

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 17):
I'm not sure what other heavys use PDX other than the NWA A330. 8000' is still quite a long runway.

FX MD-11's, KE Cargo 747's, UPS sends heavies in frequently too...oh yeah, and DL and HA send 767's up this way too, although DL's 767 flight to SLC is probably pretty lightly loaded...I had to hold short for that one (DL) one day when I was trying to depart in the Cessna and they were landing on 28R  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

jetboy319

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:37 pm

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 18):
Some people just don't like the noise. I know several people who live near PDX. None of them like the noise. None of them are environmentalists

I'm willing to venture a guess and say the majority of these people moved here AFTER the airport became a major air hub for Portland/Vancouver.  Smile

lhpdx

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:41 pm

I really do not think PDX will have a serious problem with neighbors and environmentalist when they do lengthen 10L/28R runway because the flight patterns and noise level with not change(Only during runway closures)..However, if the third runways ever come to fruition which will probably be decades away, that will be a whole other situations...As far as airport expansion occuring, the second garage will be under construction soon, Concouse D is getting a makeover, a new bagga system is being installed to remove those huge dinosaur machines out of the main terminal and Concourse D, E will be extended within the next 10 years(adding 7-8 gates)..After that it will be a while before we seen any more major airport construction at PDX for along time.....

ATCGOD

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 20):
I'm willing to venture a guess and say the majority of these people moved here AFTER the airport became a major air hub for Portland/Vancouver.

Well...a classic example of this is Dulles and Denver airports. Dulles was built in BFE (and Denver too) to be out of the way of the main cities it served so there would be no noise complaints. Sure enough though, people that worked at the airport wanted to be close, which meant people had to serve them in one way or another. Bam! You've got people that don't like the noise and they have the problem all over again. You just can't win with those people.

cschleic

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 20):
I'm willing to venture a guess and say the majority of these people moved here AFTER the airport became a major air hub for Portland/Vancouver

Maybe, maybe not. Some of the neighborhoods south of the airport have been there a long, long time.

The Port has been trying to expand or add a runway for years, but they keep getting blocked at every turn. As it is, departing traffic from 10R/L have to make a hard left after departure to fly up the Columbia at night to reduce noise over neighborhoods. It's ridiculous how some people in Portland from miles away from the airport whine and complain about the noise.

PDX is getting to a point where they are going to either need to build another terminal building, or find some way to expand the C/D terminals. They wanted to add a third 28/10 runway I thought, but a golf course is in the way. Now that the Air Guard unit at PDX is so much smaller, perhaps they could re-locate their ramp and hangars to the west side of the field, and build a new terminal building where they currently are? Then they could dedicate most of terminal D to international service, and WN and/or AS could move to the new one?

Sort of. Anyone remember back to pre-9/11 and all the public meetings about the two options for the terminal expansion, which also involved a third runway? The options were a satellite terminal west of the existing terminal, or a full second terminal replacing the air guard and golf course area, with the third runway south of that. The Delta scale-back and 9/11 ended all that. Recall that the expanded C terminal - with all its restaurants, retail and public areas - had it's grand opening only a couple of days before 9/11. Now there are several unused gates. I doubt more gates are needed at this time. More parking, yes. But a major issue with the option of a new south terminal was the air guard, golf course and cargo areas in the way.

The current noise issue is with feeder aircraft (FedEx Cessnas, etc.) using the north-south runway, generally landing from the south, right over a lot of residential area.

Like someone said above, check out flypdx.com, or even sign up for email notices. There have been all kinds of notifications and Citizens Noise Advisory Committee (yes, there is one) meetings about upcoming runway work.

Chugach

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:47 am

I really don't see how PDX needs a third parallel runway. Seems like there's quite a few better ways to spend that money. Extending the north runway should provide the airport with enough runway capacity for years to come. I could maybe see extending concourse E due to the amount of UA RON's, but C and D both have quite a few gates that are either empty or only used sparingly.
GO ROCKETS

eva777sea

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 19):
FX MD-11's, KE Cargo 747's, UPS sends heavies in frequently too...oh yeah, and DL and HA send 767's up this way too, although DL's 767 flight to SLC is probably pretty lightly loaded...I had to hold short for that one (DL) one day when I was trying to depart in the Cessna and they were landing on 28R

Actually Korean Air moved their cargo services up to Seattle. Portland has also seen Air China cargo 747s before too if I remember correctly.

Chugach

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 25):
Portland has also seen Air China cargo 747s before too if I remember correctly.

They still do; I believe it's the only regularly scheduled 747 that PDX sees right now.
GO ROCKETS

jetboy319

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting Cschleic (Reply 23):
Some of the neighborhoods south of the airport have been there a long, long time.

There is no question that many of the neighborhoods surrounding the airport have been there a long, long time. The question is, of those neighborhoods, how many people have lived there a long, long time? Maybe I'm way off but it does seem that the majority of people in these old neighborhoods haven't been around as long as the actual neighborhooed itself.  Wink

N174UA

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Chugach (Reply 24):
I could maybe see extending concourse E due to the amount of UA RON's

This was part of the original plan when E was built in '91 and opened in '92. There's 5 there now, plus UAX at E6, and the idea was to add 4-5 more. Still may happen, for all I know. The widebody gates are E1 and E5.

I don't see the need right now, especially if United continues to use that concourse, since it's unlikely that UA will do a large ramp-up in service to/from PDX anytime soon.

HPRamper

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting LHPDX (Reply 21):
However, if the third runways ever come to fruition which will probably be decades away, that will be a whole other situations...

There has been some talk about razing the former Air Reserve base and hangars to put in this third runway. I still think there are better ways to utilize that space.

Quoting Chugach (Reply 24):
I could maybe see extending concourse E due to the amount of UA RON's,

I doubt UA would want to pay for that. I don't even think they lease one of the existing A gates, they just use it to park RON at. If they won't pay for that one, they sure as heck won't pay for a full-on expansion...which the Port would surely ask them to do, or at least help with...or repay by expanding service.

jetboy319

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:28 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 29):
There has been some talk about razing the former Air Reserve base and hangars to put in this third runway. I still think there are better ways to utilize that space.

This is a common misconception. The Air Reserve area wouldn't only be used for a third runway, but could potentially be a second terminal/concourse area, outlined in the 2000 PDX Master Plan Update as the "De-Centralized Terminal Alternative" concept. The third parallel runway is actually pretty far south of the existing 10R/28L.

HPRamper

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 30):
The Air Reserve area wouldn't only be used for a third runway, but could potentially be a second terminal/concourse area, outlined in the 2000 PDX Master Plan Update as the "De-Centralized Terminal Alternative" concept.

I've read up on that plan idea, and it just seems so unrealistic. For Oregon to come up with something workable like that is an absolute pipe dream. Two separate terminals connected by a "people mover"...in Oregon that'll probably end up as bus service because of cost overruns. Ideally we would have an ATL-style tram connecting the two.

lhpdx

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:36 am

I think a full extension of the following concourses A,B,D and E with remote stands should cover PDX for many years to come if not decades..Note A and B will be combined with a New ticketing terminal attached at the East end of the new "B". As much as I was love to see the second terminal with gates built with a new people mover system where the AFB is presently located, I really do not see that happening during my lifetime..With the extension of 28R/10L, that should be ample runway capacity for Portland...Besides Alaska announcement to BOS, and MCO, Delta to JFK, and Southwest to LAS, will we see more added flights to PDX in 2007 or 2008?

jetboy319

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:57 am

I agree that a new terminal building where the Air National Guard is currently located is far from reality. However, my point was many people, especially people who work at PDX think that where the National Guard Hangars are is where the third runway will be built when in fact it will be to the south of that area.  Smile As far as gate expansion, I would expect something more along the lines of the YYZ Infield Terminal, once the respective expansions of the A, B, D and E Concourses are at capacity. It's cheap (relatively), and would meet the need for additional gates.

HPRamper

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting LHPDX (Reply 32):
Besides Alaska announcement to BOS, and MCO, Delta to JFK, and Southwest to LAS, will we see more added flights to PDX in 2007 or 2008?

I'll always bet on Southwest to add more frequency and/or destinations. Currently they do not offer any nonstop service to anywhere in Southern California - those markets are all dominated by Alaska or United. Expect to see at least one more US flight in the coming year, and at least two between now and the end of 2008. I would hope to see at least one more AA frequency as they are currently flying 90-95% load factors.

The AS announcement surprised me as they had been somewhat pulling down here in favor of QX ops. Nice to see though.

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 33):
However, my point was many people, especially people who work at PDX think that where the National Guard Hangars are is where the third runway will be built when in fact it will be to the south of that area.

I just meant in a general way, nothing exact. I don't remember the diagrams off the top of my head...what will happen to the Airtrans cargo center?

WesternA318

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 22):
Well...a classic example of this is Dulles and Denver airports. Dulles was built in BFE (and Denver too) to be out of the way of the main cities it served so there would be no noise complaints. Sure enough though, people that worked at the airport wanted to be close, which meant people had to serve them in one way or another. Bam! You've got people that don't like the noise and they have the problem all over again. You just can't win with those people.

Thats why they should build those neighborhoods specifically for the airline spotters to live in, LOL... bigthumbsup   cloudnine 
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

lhpdx

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:17 pm

The Airtrans cargo area will be moved and located in the Southwest corner of the airport property locked in by runway 28L/10R and the crosswind runway 21/3...