OA260
Topic Author

Greece May Increase India Airlinks

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:29 am

As reported i the Greek media

http://news.ert.gr/en/2/23295.asp

Greece and India discussed the possibility of direct air links London-Athens-India and also Athens India!!

LAXintl

RE: Greece May Increase India Airlinks

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:42 am

I suppose the title should be "Greece may OPEN India airlinks" as there is no direct service between the nations.

Funny this topic should come up, as I was recently reading in an Asian business journal that on a chart showed trade between Asia and Greece is the lowest of all the 15 pre 2004 EU states. Even Portugal and Ireland have stronger trade links with many Asian economies.

At the end of the day its good to see Greece wake up and look Eastwards even while being a little late trying to get their foot in the door vis-a-vis most their European neighbors and even Turkey which has strong commercial ties to Asia.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:56 am

Hmm indeed and with the new ATH-HKG service and the links between Athens and Beijing since Athens 2004 Olympics theres been alot more talking and trading etc.... I guess China will be or is the new America !!!

Nimish

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:35 am

There's plenty of tourist potential between the 2 countries, but I'm not sure if theres too much business traffic going on?
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

Humberside

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:44 am

Why would any Britrish or Indian airline want to route London-india flights via Greece when they can fill up a non-stop service?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

WesternA318

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):
Why would any Britrish or Indian airline want to route London-india flights via Greece when they can fill up a non-stop service?

Looks like its just a possibility, or perhaps BA sees OA's ultimate demise and wants to start a mini-hub/focus city?  bigthumbsup 
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:27 am

Maybe another Hellenic duty free backed route like ATH-HKG . LHR-ATH-BOM with an OA A340 !!! Anythings possible.

cy319

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 1):
I suppose the title should be "Greece may OPEN India airlinks" as there is no direct service between the nations.

correct

Quoting Nimish (Reply 3):
There's plenty of tourist potential between the 2 countries

I doubt it!! Greeks dont travel abroad much and even if they do they prefer to go somewhere in Europe, Egypt, Tunisia,Morocco or the US. I dont think that India would attract the average Greek Tourist. I also doubt that Greece would attract many Indians.

Quoting Nimish (Reply 3):
I'm not sure if theres too much business traffic going on?

I agree. Not much happening now. GR has many trade links with China at the moment.

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):

I agree.  Smile
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?

Nimish

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting CY319 (Reply 7):
I dont think that India would attract the average Greek Tourist

This I'm not sure of - will go with your opinion!

Quoting CY319 (Reply 7):
I also doubt that Greece would attract many Indians.

Indian tourists visiting Europe would definitely like to visit Greece as well - due to all the historical sightseeing possible. But I doubt if they'd just fly to Greece and back (like they do to the UK and back or Switzerland and back).
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR