MAH4546
Topic Author

AA: New ORD-SHV, CVG-LGA Flights

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:57 am

As discussed in the thread on AA's new Miami-Northwest Arkansas route, American Eagle will add daily service between O'Hare and Shreveport, LA and between LaGuardia and Cincinnati, both on 10 April 2007, the same day American Eagle launches Miami-Northwest Arkansas and Miami-Jacksonville (replacing Executive Airlines dba American Eagle on one frequency):

O'Hare-Shreveport schedule:

AA 4422 ORD 0950-1150 SHV ER4 Daily
AA 4513 SHV 1215-1430 ORD ER4 Daily

Cincinnati-LaGuardia schedule:

AA 4800 LGA 0825-1035 CVG ER3 Daily
AA 4914 LGA 1230-1435 CVG ERD Daily
AA 4804 LGA 1425-1630 CVG ER3 Daily
AA 4812 LGA 1950-2200 CVG ER3 Daily

AA 4817 CVG 0730-0925 LGA ER3 Daily
AA 4801 CVG 1115-1315 LGA ER3 Daily
AA 4915 CVG 1500-1710 LGA ERD Daily
AA 4807 CVG 1700-1910 LGA ER3 Daily

As for where the slots are coming from, two come from cuts on RDU-LGA, a third comes from a cut on CMH-LGA, but I don't know where the fourth comes from.

[Edited 2007-02-10 22:59:54]
a.

N1120A

RE: AA: New ORD-SHV, CVG-LGA Flights

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
two come from cuts on RDU-LGA

Finally, some sanity.

between LaGuardia and Cincinnati

I wonder who that is targeted at  scratchchin 
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ssides

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:23 am

Good for SHV.

It's completely unrelated, but I've always wondered shy SHV was an all-RJ operation except for one daily Saab to DFW. Just seems odd to have just one daily flight on the Saab, but the rest on RJs - especially when AA is trying to shorten all its Saab routes.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

FlyPNS1

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:25 am

I don't really understand AA's desire to fly CVG-LGA. I think it's purely driven as spite by AA for DL's expansion into the NYC-CHI market.

The CVG-NYC market isn't that big. DL of course flies from CVG to EWR, LGA and JFK. Plus, CO flies EWR-CVG. I don't see a lot of excess demand unless AA is going to offer really low-fares. However, those low-fares won't mix with the ERJ's.

Unless AA has a large enough base of customers in NYC that want to go to CVG, I don't see this route being a success.

HPAEAA

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:35 am

I don't know where the fourth comes from.

a quick check suggests it might be from PIT LGA... I pulled up a weekday in August and theres only 3 dailies vs the 4 now...
Why do I fly???

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 3):

Unless AA has a large enough base of customers in NYC that want to go to CVG, I don't see this route being a success.

It is a high-fare market, and it is not at all small (800+ daily passengers; not including leakage to other airports). AA has a huge business flyer base out of New York City and has done an excellent job of expanding into key business markets from LaGuardia. Flights to hubs at Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Charlotte didn't make much sense either, and they have all performed very well. Overall, AA has had very good luck with expanding their RJ ops at LaGuardia in the past two years to unserved, underserved, or high-fare markets.

I'm not saying AA will fore sure find success here, but I don't think it will be too difficult for them. AA has an extensive network from LaGuardia to the Midwest/Great Lakes region. Flights to Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Madison, Grand Rapids, and others. Cincinnati is a logical extension of this.
a.

MaverickM11

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
Cincinnati is a logical extension of this.

...and doesn't have B6 involved...yet.
E pur si muove -Galileo

DFW13L

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:50 am

Well, as a SHV commuter, I am excited to see SHV-ORD returned to SHV. Trivia--the first American Eagle Embraer RJ service to DFW was an offshoot of the ORD-SHV service at the time. It went ORD-SHV-DFW-SHV-ORD. This was before any RJs were based at DFW, in late 1998 and early 1999.
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

BNinMSY

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:03 am

Yea - ORD-SHV service is going to be back! Hopefully the service will grow so they can add a flight for European connections on the return!

Geaux Chicago - grow, grow, grow!

shinton

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:31 am

I am surprised that AA would add SHV-ORD service back again after it failed in the late 90s. It is a good thing, but SHV has been plagued with extremely high fares without a Saturday night stay for years. It has been cheaper for years to drive to AEX or GGG (only to TX,OK,NM) if you could not stay a Saturday night. SHV has been poorly run for years by its current airport manager, Roy Miller. The only reason TWA ever entered SHV was their search to find markets that they did not have to compete against Southwest. Even with the high business fares, Bill Compton, the TWA CEO, called SHV a marginially profitable market.

ERJ170

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:44 am

Remember that AA is pulling quite a few Eagle flights from RDU..

3x LGA
3x STL
2x AUS
1x BDL (if I'm remembering correctly)..

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
Finally, some sanity.

box   bored 
Aiming High and going far..

HPAEAA

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 10):

3x LGA
3x STL
2x AUS

I think your right... hopfully their not done yet with their schedule adjustments... I keep praying for the mainline back to CLE!!!!
Why do I fly???

ERJ170

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 11):
hopfully their not done yet with their schedule adjustments

I do believe they are loading them as we speak.. if one was to try to check reservations.. you will see them populating.. for a second, I thought they had dropped ORD from RDU, but then it popped up...

so far, no other drops from RDU... and no more upgrades.. and no new surprises... *was hoping for a SJU*  biting 

HPAEAA

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 12):
I do believe they are loading them as we speak.. if one was to try to check reservations.. you will see them populating.. for a second, I thought they had dropped ORD from RDU, but then it popped up...

so far, no other drops from RDU... and no more upgrades.. and no new surprises... *was hoping for a SJU*

I pray... lol they've been tweaking for a couple weeks... I hope that's not over... I have to admit.. this is the most schedule activity I've seen from them in a while..
Why do I fly???

Type-Rated

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:46 am

I still remember back in the 70's when SHV had direct service to ORD, STL, MSY, and even LGA amonst other places. They built that nice terminal that went largely unused after deragulation a few years after it opened. They had all kinds of mainline aircraft in there, DC-9's, 727's, BAC-111's and lord only knows what else. At the time DL, BN, TI ruled the roost there! You don't see SHV discussed here much.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

panam330

Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 10):

3x LGA
3x STL
2x AUS

.. And adding mainline service on a few of those routes, too. I wouldn't be complaining.

I keep praying for the mainline back to CLE!!!!

As I do for SYR! Come to DAB as well, AA/AE! We'd like some ERJ's to MIA, and an MD80 to ORD!  Wink

ERJ170

Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 15):
I wouldn't be complaining.

Who's complaining? Just stating facts. The question was where were the aircraft for these new routes coming from. I was just stating that RDU was dropping/shifting a net loss of 9 flights so there were some freed aircraft there..

boggled 

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:22 pm

I keep praying for the mainline back to CLE!!!!

AA closed mainline service at Cleveland to fire their mainline employees and them have them re-hired, at lower pay, at Eagle. If AA were to resume mainline service to Cleveland, than they could face a major lawsuit. In short, Cleveland will not see a mainline AA jet for a very, very, very, very long time.

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 12):
*was hoping for a SJU* biting

Cleveland will get mainline back before Raleigh gets San Juan back.
a.

Alitalia744

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:30 pm

the CVG flight timing is interesting.

It doesn't allow for early morning meetings in either CVG or LGA vs. DL's early morning westbound flight (which a lot of Ad Agency folk take daily!)
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

BNinMSY

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:03 pm

The new SHV-ORD service is loaded in the GDS and on AA.com!
So it's available for $ale!

Just to review the services available on a weekday from SHV:
AA - 10 DFW, 1 ORD
DL - 6 ATL, 1 CVG
NW - 3 MEM, 2 DTW
CO - 7 IAH
G4 - 1 MCO and 1 LAS, services twice a week on 'REAL' jet MD80

Next up, a SHV-EWR on CO in the future?

avconsultant

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:48 pm

The CVG-NYC market isn't that big. DL of course flies from CVG to EWR, LGA and JFK. Plus, CO flies EWR-CVG. I don't see a lot of excess demand unless AA is going to offer really low-fares. However, those low-fares won't mix with the ERJ's.

Look for a partial return of a mainline on CVG-DFW and CVG-ORD in the future, including a possible 2 or 3x weekly CVG-LAX by AA.

CVG largest employer (Procter & Gamble) was attempting to renegotiate a corporate agreement with DL in 2005. From what I was told, DL cancelled all "custom agreements" when they entered in BK. DL informed P&G, they would talk after BK. In 2004, P&G had a 9 digit travel expense for all worldwide travel. CVG accounted for a size able amount of this budget at the same time P&G was having service issues with CVG.

The details are proprietary, but from what I understand it includes "lane revenue guarantee's". Also, AA matched P&G employees FF status, this is no surprise because AA has been doing this for years.

ContinentalEWR

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:17 am

No need really for AA to enter or expand LGA-CVG. American's tactics at LGA are part of what makes that airport so congested and miserable to fly out of. The same applies to DL's LGA-MDW routes. Competition is good and healthy if it helps to bring down fares, but the delays and other headaches this causes outweigh the benefits of added competition.

sq452

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:17 am

Amazing, something else besides DL launching a new route to CVG...

Mainline AA service to LAX, elsewhere would be quite welcome! Although, I must say the AA terminal at CVG would probably be the worst AA terminal in the whole system if mainline comes back...
SIN > CVG > BOS

southsky

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:39 am

Go Shreveport! As I am living in Louisiana currently, I am always looking for new non-stop opportunities in the area.

Sorry to go off topic, but I must ask about MOB-MIA. What are the chances that this route happens? I was thinking this was the new route when AA announced expanded service to MOB, but was surprised to hear ORD. There is a sizeable Latino community on the outskirts on MOB, and I think a MOB-MIA 1x/2x per day could work if they scheduled it correctly to meet connection times to Latin/South America. Hell, a flight to Miami from Mobile would be much more comfortable on a regional jet than a 2/2.5 hour flight to Chicago.

avconsultant

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 22):
Although, I must say the AA terminal at CVG would probably be the worst AA terminal in the whole system if mainline comes back...

Very true. I know US was leaving Terminal 1 for Terminal 2, so that will congest Terminal 2. I remember the one time I was in CVG and flew out of Terminal 2, I could not believe the time from the cab to the gate. Less than 2 mins., I was irritated I arrived so early.

JDAirCEO

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:51 am

Some of the LGA slots are coming from RDU-LGA frequency being dropped down and an MD-80 being added in the afternoon.
Yes Eagle is dropping frequency on RDU-STL which is because two flights will be on MD-80 and one Eagle.
Yes Eagle is dropping 2X RDU-AUS, but its doing to a daily MD-80 turn. This flight is very popluar not only for AUS-RDU traffic but it makes for an easy and logical connecting point for AUS traffic headed to the northeast, and mainly to DCA.
An MD-80 is great... in first class

CIDFlyer

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting SouthSky (Reply 23):
but I must ask about MOB-MIA. What are the chances that this route happens?

I am wondering this as well, and also if/when PNS-MIA would ever be started. I thought it was rumored here a year ago or so.

DFW13L

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting JDAirCEO (Reply 25):
Some of the LGA slots are coming from RDU-LGA frequency being dropped down and an MD-80 being added in the afternoon.
Yes Eagle is dropping frequency on RDU-STL which is because two flights will be on MD-80 and one Eagle.
Yes Eagle is dropping 2X RDU-AUS, but its doing to a daily MD-80 turn. This flight is very popluar not only for AUS-RDU traffic but it makes for an easy and logical connecting point for AUS traffic headed to the northeast, and mainly to DCA.

I agree. RDU is not taking any losses--just Eagle reductions, replaced with mainline. Until now RDU's mainline service is all to AA hubs, with the exception of the LGW flight.

Quoting SouthSky (Reply 23):
Go Shreveport! As I am living in Louisiana currently, I am always looking for new non-stop opportunities in the area.

Sorry to go off topic, but I must ask about MOB-MIA. What are the chances that this route happens? I was thinking this was the new route when AA announced expanded service to MOB, but was surprised to hear ORD. There is a sizeable Latino community on the outskirts on MOB, and I think a MOB-MIA 1x/2x per day could work if they scheduled it correctly to meet connection times to Latin/South America. Hell, a flight to Miami from Mobile would be much more comfortable on a regional jet than a 2/2.5 hour flight to Chicago.

Yes, me too. I think PNS or MOB will eventually have a MIA flight. Eagle's MIA EMJ flying is run remotely from ORD and DFW. DFW-PNS-MIA or DFW-MOB-MIA would be a perfect bridge route to get the planes in and out. And with the two recent service announcements out of MIA (MIA-XNA and MIA-JAX on the Jet) I see growth for MIA.

Stay tuned. I think Eagle is replacing some short haul flying with Saabs they are re-activating, which will free up jets for growth. Once the pilot situation gets a bit more stabilized (when training catches up with AA recalls and added Saabs) then maybe we will see this...all later in the year.

Regarding your "looking for nonstop serivce in the area" I anticipated, when looking at www.xjet.com that Expressjet would add SHV-MSY, but looks like it isn't planning on it. I figured it would for 2 reasons. 1 ) the Expressjet maintenance base at SHV and the moderate sized MSY operation planned for Xjet. 2 ) I think there's potential for 2-3 flights daily on a EMJ on this market.

shinton

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:20 am

Loads ($$$) must be great on single shot runs like JAN-ORD, BTR-ORD, etc. Given congestion and weather at ORD I wonder how often these flights are cancelled. I agree that AA will pull some ERJs from markets like SHV and replace with Saabs.

Mesa ( a la US Air Express) did fine with SHV-MSY (fares were very high) until 2001 and there was a travel agent in New Orleans that was ripping Mesa off on the run at the time. I talked to Jonathan Orstein, Mesa CEO, about SHV right after they left the market and of course the airport managment never called or wrote them on trying to keep the run.

ASEFlyer

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:55 am

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 19):

I HOPE SO! I remember taking the BTR-EWR route when it was added after Katrina. So convenient. Good to see more service to second hubs out of SHV even though my preferred north LA airport of choice when I was living in Natchitoches was AEX...especially now with the new terminal..beautiful. Anyone know how the allegiant flights out of SHV are doing?

seatback

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:04 am

I too agree that the CVG terminal may be the worst "looking" terminal in the entire system, but it also may be the most convenient terminal in the system. It's like arriving at a small town airport. I hate that the windows are knee level...who designed that?? I wouldn't be surprised to see all airlines move to Delta's terminal in the next few years; it's pretty slow over there these days.

Would love to see more AA service in CVG. As a weekly business traveler from CVG, the prices my company pays are outrageous. When I fly personally, it's Dayton for me.

shinton

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:09 am

It appears that Allegiant is doing pretty well SHV_LAS, Service now is on Wednesday and Saturday, but the service changes to Thursday and Sundays. I think that the Sanford service is marginal at best in the profit department

avconsultant

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting Seatback (Reply 30):
I hate that the windows are knee level...who designed that??

I agree and my guess is the designer of the terminal was later hired by Candair/Bombardier and designed the windows on the CRJ-100/200.  Wink

I wouldn't be surprised to see all airlines move to Delta's terminal in the next few years; it's pretty slow over there these days

I know DL has not renegotiated their leases for CVG; however, have you attempted security on a Monday morning from Terminal 3? It's HELL!! As new as the terminal is, I cannot believe it's such a poor design. When you exit the secured area, I'm amazed what a cluster the area is where people wait for friends and families. It's like going back in time, people act as if they've never been in an airport before.

HPAEAA

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 17):
AA closed mainline service at Cleveland to fire their mainline employees and them have them re-hired, at lower pay, at Eagle. If AA were to resume mainline service to Cleveland, than they could face a major lawsuit. In short, Cleveland will not see a mainline AA jet for a very, very, very, very long time.

AA shut down service 09/04... the legal requirement per union contracts is 12 months before mainline can return upto 7x daily (IIRC)... with the 8th departure if I recall then they must hire AA personal to work AA flights... it's been over 2 years... they can return if the want too... the problem has been aircraft avalibility from my friends on the inside... CLE DFW has been one of MQ's biggest routes interms of pax according to the DOT and from my own purchase experience over the last 6 months since I moved... CLE has always charged a revenue premium over CMH (which offers 4x md 80's) ... not to argue, but I worked on the inside at CLE for MQ... it's a question of when not if...
Why do I fly???

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 33):
AA shut down service 09/04... the legal requirement per union contracts is 12 months before mainline can return upto 7x daily (IIRC)... with the 8th departure if I recall then they must hire AA personal to work AA flights... it's been over 2 years... they can return if the want too... the problem has been aircraft avalibility from my friends on the inside... CLE DFW has been one of MQ's biggest routes interms of pax according to the DOT and from my own purchase experience over the last 6 months since I moved... CLE has always charged a revenue premium over CMH (which offers 4x md 80's) ... not to argue, but I worked on the inside at CLE for MQ... it's a question of when not if...

Thanks for the info.

I doubt it is a question of when, though. I don't think mainline will back anytime soon. Just my opinion, though.
a.

DFW13L

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 32):
I hate that the windows are knee level...who designed that??

I agree and my guess is the designer of the terminal was later hired by Candair/Bombardier and designed the windows on the CRJ-100/200.

How funny. I was about to post the same comment.

Quoting Shinton (Reply 31):
It appears that Allegiant is doing pretty well SHV_LAS, Service now is on Wednesday and Saturday, but the service changes to Thursday and Sundays. I think that the Sanford service is marginal at best in the profit department

I have heard the same. SHV-LAS loads are averaging 96% last I heard. No info on SFB-SHV.

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 19):

I hope so too! I see them from time to time on flight aware, though they are maintenance repo's. SHV is a EMJ maintenance base for Xjet. Something tells me not to hold my breath, however!

I think the DTW-SHV on NW was reduced to 1 X daily recently but looks like it will be back to 2 X daily. DL reduced SHV to 1 X daily from 2 X daily on CVG. I kind of expected AA to bring back SHV-STL on AX/AE before SHV-ORD. Anyway, the northeast bound flights from SHV don't seem like they are all that strong. DTW, is subsidised by GM. I think the city of SHV is probably going to be subsidising the SHV-ORD.

I remember back when the cancelled SHV-ORD, that was when the new Congressional Act was put in place to allow RJ's to mid-sized cities start up and be exempt from slot controls. That was when the huge Eagle EMJ boom occurred at ORD and in the same schedule change that cxld SHV-ORD, it added PIT-ORD and BWI-ORD on Eagle EMJ.

WA707atMSP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:04 am

Pre 9/11, CVG was planning to extend CVG's concourse 3A westward all the way to where Terminal 1 is, move the airlines in T2 and T1 into the extended 3A, and demolish T1 and T2.

Now that 3A is so underutilized, I think CVG could easily fit all the airlines in T1 and T2 into 3A without building any additional gates, if DL would be willing to give up a few of their gates on 3A.

I agree with everyone else that the current T2 is horrid. It was designed by CVG in the early 1970s to be as spartan as possible, mainly to minimize the expenses of the airlines (AA and TWA) it was built for. The original T3, which was built for DL at the same time T2 was built for AA and TW, was just as bad, but DL modernized their terminal in the early 1980s when they began building CVG into a hub.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

flymli

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:06 am

The Quad Cities and Peoria are each getting an additional DFW flight starting on April 10. That will give both of these cities twice daily flights to DFW.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting Flymli (Reply 37):
The Quad Cities and Peoria are each getting an additional DFW flight starting on April 10. That will give both of these cities twice daily flights to DFW.

In addition, Fort Wayne is getting a third Dallas flight.
a.

flyinryan99

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 38):
In addition, Fort Wayne is getting a third Dallas flight.

And I was hoping to get TOL-DFW back in the near future...guess I can continue to be disappointed by TOL management.

avconsultant

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 36):
Now that 3A is so underutilized, I think CVG could easily fit all the airlines in T1 and T2 into 3A without building any additional gates, if DL would be willing to give up a few of their gates on 3A.

I always wondered why 3A never extended west ward, good information. T1 and T2 is dated (going back in time) compared to T3.

AA767400

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 21):
No need really for AA to enter or expand LGA-CVG. American's tactics at LGA are part of what makes that airport so congested and miserable to fly out of. The same applies to DL's LGA-MDW routes. Competition is good and healthy if it helps to bring down fares, but the delays and other headaches this causes outweigh the benefits of added competition.

Coming from the same person that stated AA's JFK-NRT would fail in 6 months when it first started.

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 18):
It doesn't allow for early morning meetings in either CVG or LGA vs. DL's early morning westbound flight (which a lot of Ad Agency folk take daily!)

If it ain't about DL you always succeed in raining down on the parade. Take that "Keep Delta my Delta" pin off already it's getting old.
"The low fares airline."

AA 777

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:58 am

As for where the slots are coming from, two come from cuts on RDU-LGA, a third comes from a cut on CMH-LGA, but I don't know where the fourth comes from.

I could be wrong Mark, but LGA-ATL goes from 5 flights (3 AA/2 AE) to 4 flights (all AA) on 4/10. That could be the fourth slot...

-Matt
CRJ-700 FO

commavia

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:07 am

Also coming up starting 1 May, Eagle will be launching a weekend-only CR7 service O'Hare-Halifax:

AA4477 ORD 1050 YHZ 1550 SatSun
AA4478 YHZ 1630 ORD 1800 SatSun

IMO, that route should perform well in season and hopefully they can eventually upgrade it to a daily service, at least in the summer.

CIDFlyer

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting Flymli (Reply 37):

I wonder if they will bring back the DFW-TOL/RST/GRB routes? Nice to see them expand back again to the midwestern cities via DFW

BNinMSY

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting Shinton (Reply 28):

Quoting Shinton (Reply 28):
Mesa ( a la US Air Express) did fine with SHV-MSY (fares were very high) until 2001 and there was a travel agent in New Orleans that was ripping Mesa off on the run at the time. I talked to Jonathan Orstein, Mesa CEO, about SHV right after they left the market and of course the airport managment never called or wrote them on trying to keep the run.

Would you be able to or care to elaborate on just exactly how a travel agent would be ripping Mesa off on this particular route?

I can believe the city, nor airport management on either end was less than proactive about keeping them in the market. But then Mesa did bring down their entire MSY hub pretty much at the same time - choosing to place the planes in other markets, so I'm not sure there would have been anything that could have been done to save the service.

shinton

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:56 pm

Greater New Orleans area travel agent was selling fares that should have only been available to a particular corporate client at a price that was 1/2 the price of the lowest priced fare in the SHV-MSY market without a Saturday night stay to anyone that called her, she at the time added a $75 agency fee on top of the ticket. Her fare was approx $250, plus her $75 fee and the Mesa price was approx $450 for everyone else.
It is not surprising that the management of the Shreveport airport did not contact Mesa and attempt to get Mesa to stay in the market. Shreveport was not subsidzed by Entergy like LIT,JAN, and BPT were with contract fares.

tommy767

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 21):
No need really for AA to enter or expand LGA-CVG. American's tactics at LGA are part of what makes that airport so congested and miserable to fly out of.

You could also say that CO's massive operations at EWR make the airport more congested and miserable to fly out of....
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

kcrwflyer

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 44):
I wonder if they will bring back the DFW-TOL/RST/GRB routes? Nice to see them expand back again to the midwestern cities via DFW

I thought all of those cities already had DFW. How long have they been cut? Also, does anyone think that AE will ever make their way into Charleston?

DFW13L

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:58 pm

Quoting Kcrwflyer (Reply 48):
thought all of those cities already had DFW. How long have they been cut? Also, does anyone think that AE will ever make their way into Charleston?

AE already goes to CHS. I'm not sure when it started, but wasn't too long ago. Just checked tomorrow's schedule. 3 X daily EMJ-140 and 145s DFW-CHS

DFW-CHS for Feb 13th
3827 0740-1105 ERD
3507 1305-1635 EM4
3483 1835-2200 EM4

So, congrats on your new service!