rootsair

Mejor Que Una Pupusa! Central American Aviation-6!

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:13 am

Last thread has reached may many posts. Central American viation threads are a big success thanks to you all. Pilas Pues, Central American Aviation- V (by RootsAir Jan 29 2007 in Civil Aviation)

May I start this new thread with a tribute to COPA, which will become the first Central American airline to join an alliance !

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ed Groenendijk
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Contador

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Aleman - SJU Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Diego Alonso Romero Alvarado - SJO Spotter

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ger Buskermolen
View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix

A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

ghost77

RE: Mejor Que Una Pupusa! Central American Aviation-6!

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:23 am

Pardon my ignorance, ¿what's popusa? When is CM joining ST?
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

rootsair

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 1):
¿what's popusa?

Its a very tasty speciality from El Salvador

When is CM joining ST?

next year I guess
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

TACAA320

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:26 am

¿what's popusa?

It's a corn tortilla filled with beans or pork. Yummm  cool 
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TACAA320

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 am

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

carmenlu15

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 3):
It's a corn tortilla filled with beans or pork. Yummm

Have you ever tried the ones made with rice flour instead of corn?  yummy  Foodstuff from heaven, I swear... and I have yet to find a place here that sells them.  Sad

And before this gets moved to Non-Av, let's give this food talk a twist: what are TA and CM serving on their flights now? It's been a while since I last took a flight...
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

TACAA320

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 5):

Have you ever tried the ones made with rice flour instead of corn?

Not yet.  no 

Avianca

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:14 am

what are TA and CM serving on their flights now

my last flight CM flight is 1 year ago... and they served really great food on there flights...

on such a short flight like MDE-PTY (under 1 hour) they served a hot-breakfast.... and on a PTY-CCS run they served a hot lunch... very good, chicken with beans, rice and vegetables....

regarding TA/LR heard they are offering buy on board service, can anybody confirm??? on the other hand as per airlinemeals.net it looks like they love so serve sandwiches...
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

viaggiare

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:22 am

what are TA and CM serving on their flights now?

My last meal (snack) on CM (coach): ham and cheese (warm) sandwich, small bag of Lay's potato chips (manufactured by Plano, Texas-based Frito-Lay), Nestlé Chocolate Mini-Bar, and choice of beverage.

My last meal (snack) on TA (coach): small bag of Aero chips (manufactured by Soyapango, San Salvador-based Productos Alimenticios Diana), and choice of beverage.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

TACAA320

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:26 am

Carmen:

Please take a look at here: CCS-MEX Business Copa 73G & MEX-MTY Mexicana A319 (by Luisde8cd Dec 22 2006 in Trip Reports)

juanchito

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:31 am

Got to love the Pupusas

Quoting Avianca (Reply 7):
regarding TA/LR heard they are offering buy on board service, can anybody confirm??? on the other hand as per airlinemeals.net it looks like they love so serve sandwiches...

Yes they are not offer on everyflight they don't serve on short routes. The price is $5.00 for a sandwich. I will be flying them on February 27 from GUA to SJO, it will be my first time on Costa Rica.

Reagards

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

LTU932

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 10):
The price is $5.00 for a sandwich.

That's very expensive for just a sandwich. How do other airlines compare with TA when it comes to buy on board items such as this sandwich? Personally I wouldn't spend more than $3 for a simple sandwich. $5 is for me a rip-off.

Avianca

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 11):
That's very expensive for just a sandwich. How do other airlines compare with TA when it comes to buy on board items such as this sandwich? Personally I wouldn't spend more than $3 for a simple sandwich. $5 is for me a rip-off.

would say it depends were the flight is... for a flight in CentralAmerica I have to say it is really expensive 5 USD for a Sandwich.... on a intra-USA-flight the price would be ok....

juanchito

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:50 am

Yes 5 USD for a sandwich is expensive, I have never bought it, I prefer to eat at the airport.

Juanchito

aer

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 3):
It's a corn tortilla filled with beans or pork. Yummm

Don't forget the ones filled with cheese.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

rootsair

RE: Mejor Que Una Pupusa! Central American Aviatio

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:13 pm

my last flight CM flight is 1 year ago... and they served really great food on there flights...

on such a short flight like MDE-PTY (under 1 hour) they served a hot-breakfast.... and on a PTY-CCS run they served a hot lunch... very good, chicken with beans, rice and vegetables....

Was that Y or C class ? I flew Y from GUA to SJO back in 1998. Wehad a hot meal with filet mignon, one of the best Economy class emals eve. and when my bread was finished they would come immediately with another piece of bread. This F/A saw my fork had accidentally dropped and replaced it with another! What great service !

regarding TA/LR heard they are offering buy on board service, can anybody confirm??? on the other hand as per airlinemeals.net it looks like they love so serve sandwiches..

When I went from LPB to LIM they offered "free" coffee and pastry and we were able to have a second serving of coffee (then perhaps this could be specific to TACA Peru). I find buy on board service bad especially when one sees the prices TA charges on many of their flights !

TACAA320

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:27 pm

Quoting Aer (Reply 14):

I'm intolerant to dairies. Then I prefer the ones made of beans and pork.
But thanks a lot for the reminder.

carmenlu15

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 6):
Not yet.

You should definitely try them, next time you're around SAL!

Quoting Aer (Reply 14):

Mmm... queso con loroco... You guys are making me hungry! Perhaps we should have an official Central American Food Thread in Non-Av. Big grin

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 8):
My last meal (snack) on CM (coach): ham and cheese (warm) sandwich, small bag of Lay's potato chips (manufactured by Plano, Texas-based Frito-Lay), Nestlé Chocolate Mini-Bar, and choice of beverage.

Sounds nice. Are you sure the Lay's were manufactured in Texas? The ones for sale here are made in Guate...  Wink

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 11):

If memory serves me right, the sandwich alone costs $3, and sandwich + salad (or something else) is $5. At least that's how it was introduced in 2003 (?); things must have changed now...

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 15):
When I went from LPB to LIM they offered "free" coffee and pastry and we were able to have a second serving of coffee (then perhaps this could be specific to TACA Peru).

Beverages (including alcohol) and snacks are free on all flights, IIRC.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

rootsair

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 17):

Beverages (including alcohol) and snacks are free on all flights, IIRC.

oh ok that's good to know then ! But still 5$ for a sandwich reminds me or Iberia's pay service! Sandwiches cost 6.00 € which is around 7.77$ and you even have some for 8€(which is 10$ !!!!!) . I always buy the sandwich in MAD airport which is twice bigger and only costs me 3.50€ (still 4.50$). This shows you have low IB has gone !

http://www.iberia.com/ibcomv3/content/COMUN/PDF/tumenu_new.pdf

[Edited 2007-02-12 15:40:47]

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:28 am

You should definitely try them, next time you're around SAL!

This weekend precisely. And next week to IAH to try some delicious Mexican food.

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:09 am

Was that Y or C class ? I flew Y from GUA to SJO back in 1998. Wehad a hot meal with filet mignon, one of the best Economy class emals eve. and when my bread was finished they would come immediately with another piece of bread. This F/A saw my fork had accidentally dropped and replaced it with another! What great service !

That's a long time ago. Things changed a lot in almost 10 years.
Go to the link in reply 9 and will see what are things right now.

LTU932

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 18):
oh ok that's good to know then ! But still 5$ for a sandwich reminds me or Iberia's pay service! Sandwiches cost 6.00 € which is around 7.77$ and you even have some for 8€(which is 10$ !!!!!) . I always buy the sandwich in MAD airport which is twice bigger and only costs me 3.50€ (still 4.50$). This shows you have low IB has gone !

Have you ever tried the Alisnack box on AZ Euro flights? I've just been reading up and I see mostly bad reviews of it.

http://airlinemeals.net/meals/Alitalia101150.html

yellowtail

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 19):
And next week to IAH to try some delicious Mexican food

So you are going to IAH for mexican food...might I suggest actaully going to mexico!
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

rootsair

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 22):
So you are going to IAH for mexican food...might I suggest actaully going to mexico!

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

rotfl 
 rotfl 
 rotfl 
 rotfl 

carmenlu15

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:35 am

And next week to IAH to try some delicious Mexican food

He's got a point, though... there's no such thing as "delicious U.S. food", is it? Big grin

juanchito

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:03 am

This weekend precisely. And next week to IAH to try some delicious Mexican food.

I have been eating mexican food for almost 5 weeks, very good food, almost everthing is spicy. Enchiladas, Chilaquiles, Tacos, Pollo en Mole and the list goes on.

On march I will be eating Gallo Pinto Big grin

Juanchito

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:19 am

Sounds weird, but I have to go to Houston. And its a city that always bring good Mexican food.  yes 

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 24):

He's got a point, though... there's no such thing as "delicious U.S. food", is it?

Right.

Jacks757

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:49 am

We need more Salvadorian restaurants in the U.S. Papusas are so good.! I just dont think many Americans know what they are. If they did they would sell like crazy.

MGA

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting Jacks757 (Reply 27):
We need more Salvadorian restaurants in the U.S. Papusas are so good.! I just dont think many Americans know what they are. If they did they would sell like crazy.

Dude, you have to come to L.A.... WAY to many pupuserias... Some excellent and some not that good... But a wide variety... I know a place where they actually make some pupusas with mushrooms, spinach, squash, etc... interesting stuff...

Regarding TA´s food, I was amazed that I got a hot plate (clase ejecutiva) on my last SAL-LAX flight. Very tasty eggplant pasta... Not that big of a fan of the sandwiches and the "3 cheese crossaint", and I havent heard any good comments on the either...

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

Avianca

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:24 am

only in Y, anyway service was very good...

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:28 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 29):
only in Y, anyway service was very good...

Key word: "was".

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:01 am

queso con loroco...

confused 

viaggiare

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:02 am

Are you sure the Lay's were manufactured in Texas?

That's not what I said. Frito-Lay is headquartered in Plano, Texas.

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:05 am

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:08 am

viaggiare

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 am

Following El Salvador's and Guatemala's lead, an eighth digit will be added to all phone numbers in Costa Rica next year, as demand for next-generation services is expected to surge (with the upcoming breakup of the state telecommunications monopoly).

So the new phone number for lodging a complaint... against LR/TA (nah, just kidding!) ...with the DGAC (Costa Rican Civil Aviation Authority) will then be +(506) 2231-3666.

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 am

# Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU) - Due to construction in the parking area for Toncontin International Airport, please allow additional time when departing from this location.

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...ry&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 35):
Following El Salvador's and Guatemala's lead, an eighth digit will be added to all phone numbers in Costa Rica next year, as demand for next-generation services is expected to surge (with the upcoming breakup of the state telecommunications monopoly).

Is this official? I mean, the eight digits?

MGASJO

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 37):

Yes it is.

Link de la nacion
C208B

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 38):
Yes it is.

Thanks!
I still have time to get rid of my actual business cards.  liar 

LTU932

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:09 pm

Wasn't the last time they did this like 13 years ago, when they went from 6 digit to 7 digit numbers? Oh well, IMO they should rather introduce area codes like in Germany and the US (e.g. Hamburg's area code is 040, Berlin's area code is 030, etc.), and save themselves trouble with adding another digit to a phone number every few years. End of mini-rant.  irked 

TACAA320

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting Jacks757 (Reply 27):
We need more Salvadorian restaurants in the U.S. Papusas are so good.!

It's "pupusas" not "papusas".

viaggiare

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 37):
Is this official? I mean, the eight digits?

ICE (Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad, the state-owned sole telecommunications provider in Costa Rica) issued a press release earlier today announcing the proposed migration to the new numbering plan. When implemented sometime next year, all fixed (residential/commercial) phone numbers nationwide will be preceded by a 2.

In addition, all mobile phone numbers (currently starting with either a 3 or an 8) will be preceded by an 8, according to ICE. However, their filing with the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) says these numbers will be preceded by a 3 (thus setting 4XXX-XXXX through 9XXX-XXXX aside for future expansion), and that implementation is actually scheduled for 2009.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 40):
IMO they should rather introduce area codes like in Germany and the U.S.

Wouldn't that be too complicated for, say, a farmer trying to use a pay phone in San Pablo de Turrubares? BTW, this rather isolated, pintoresque/laid-back town (no ATM, no gas station) is right under the approach path to SJO's rwy 07.

LTU932

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 42):
Wouldn't that be too complicated for, say, a farmer trying to use a pay phone in San Pablo de Turrubares?

I had thought of an area code system by municipalities, but I heard the same thing you said from a co-worker.

2travel2know

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:25 pm

This past weekend I saw what is been done to DAV airport small parking area.
It seems the Car-Rental agencies decided to take part of the limited parking area and build their counters there.
Now, everytime I see that airport, regardless of the new "Car-Rental Facilities", I'm more convinced that "new" terminal was just to please the need of a "newer structure" from locals and wasn't planed at all thinking it was probably too small for any future air-traffic demand.
If DAV really wants to get charters or serve as SJO or PTY alternate airport, a whole new check-in, departures, arrival, immigration + customs area will be needed.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

carmenlu15

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 31):
 confused 

www.ciudad-la.com/CIUFOO/CIUFOOAG/body_ciufooag.htm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 32):
That's not what I said. Frito-Lay is headquartered in Plano, Texas.

embarrassed  Heeey... it's not easy having to get up at 4:45 to get ready for work, so don't expect my brain to be working at full capacity every time...  Wink

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 35):

About time!

Signed,
Guatemala & El Salvador  Wink

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 40):
Wasn't the last time they did this like 13 years ago, when they went from 6 digit to 7 digit numbers?

To think we went from 7 to 8 in about 6 or 7 years...  Wow!

TACAA320

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 45):
About time!

Indeed!

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 45):
To think we went from 7 to 8 in about 6 or 7 years...

Costa Rica was the first Central American country that adopted the 7 digits.

TACAA320

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:17 am

I just saw [around 10 am local time] a 747 leaving SJO [unusual here]. I think was a cargo. Can somebody confirm that? Tks.

luisca

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:09 am

Getting back to aviation, yesterday 2/12 Panama signed a new bilateral with the European union to increase frequencies available between the two countries (region whatever).

link: http://www.prensa.com/hoy/negocios/889158.html

and btw panama introduced the 8th digit in 2005 for all mobile phones. the number 6+ 7 digits, landlines are still 7 digits
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

viaggiare

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 47):
I just saw [around 10 am local time] a 747 leaving SJO [unusual here]. I think was a cargo.

That's right, it was a 74X (747-200 Freighter) wet leased to Florida West (IATA:RF/ICAO:FWL) which departed 09:58 local as flight 124, nonstop to MIA.