positiverate

US Airways Announces Intention To Apply For China

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:23 pm

Seems like Dougie "Tanqueray and Tonic" Parker can't get over the fact that he lost DL.

Press Release Source: US Airways

US Airways Announces Intention to Apply for China Service
Friday February 9, 3:32 pm ET
Airline Urges DOT to Conduct Full Route Authority Case

TEMPE, Ariz., Feb. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways (NYSE: LCC - News) today notified the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) that the airline will file an application to fly nonstop service from the United States to China, and urged the DOT to conduct a full competitive proceeding for a route that will become available in 2008.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO)

US Airways had been considering applying for China authority for some time, and today responded to a Delta Air Lines application for Atlanta-Shanghai authority. US Airways asked the DOT to defer consideration of Delta's application until a full proceeding can commence.

"US Airways urges DOT to defer consideration of Delta's application until there is the opportunity for full consideration of such other applications as may be submitted. Specifically, US Airways intends to apply for the designation and frequencies at issue, and it is presently coordinating its proposal with affected parties, including the U.S. gateways and communities it will serve," US Airways said in its DOT filing today.

US Airways noted that DOT has conducted virtually every allocation of China frequencies by means of a comparative selection route proceeding. "There is no reason to deviate from that longstanding practice now, more than a year before the frequencies at issue even become available," US Airways said in its filing.

US Airways is the fifth largest domestic airline employing more than 37,000 aviation professionals worldwide. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 3,800 flights per day and serve over 230 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. The new US Airways -- the product of a merger between America West and US Airways in September 2005 -- is a member of the Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to 841 destinations in 157 countries worldwide. This press release and additional information on US Airways can be found at www.usairways.com. (LCCG)

xjet

RE: US Airways Announces Intention To Apply For China

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:36 pm

So, here we go with international LCC expansion over the Pacific. Great! I am glad Parker could get out of the tank in time to file this! Big grin

F9Animal

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting XJET (Reply 1):
So, here we go with international LCC expansion over the Pacific. Great! I am glad Parker could get out of the tank in time to file this!

I will drink to that! LOL! Just kidding! This is great news, and I hope they get it.
I Am A Different Animal!!

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting XJET (Reply 1):
So, here we go with international LCC expansion over the Pacific. Great! I am glad Parker could get out of the tank in time to file this!

This has been discussed at employee "town hall" meetings since early January...the timing it came out is a coincidence.

RDUDDJI

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:58 am

I don't think USAir has any airplanes (currently, maybe A350 later?) with the legs to do China from one of their hubs...so where will this flight stop? From what hub will they market this, PHL? I don't really think they have a chance in heck of winning this over DL, AA or CO in the next round
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 4):
I don't think USAir has any airplanes (currently, maybe A350 later?) with the legs to do China from one of their hubs...so where will this flight stop? From what hub will they market this, PHL? I don't really think they have a chance in heck of winning this over DL, AA or CO in the next round

There is talk about trying to acquire the 2 AC 345's coming up this June. Most likely the route would be marketed from PHL because of the feed. I think PHL would have a much greater chance of beating ATL or DFW.

KevinSmith

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 5):

There is talk about trying to acquire the 2 AC 345's coming up this June.

Why is AC getting rid of them? Lease up?
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

BigGSFO

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:35 am

I think PHL would have a much greater chance of beating ATL or DFW.

I disagree. ATL and DFW are new regions with no non-stops to China. The PHL metro area will have easy link via IAD and EWR. Personally I am waiting to see who applies for LAX-China first: AA or DL (IMO).

DAL767400ER

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:41 am

Already discussed:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/3253445

Quoting Mu2 (Reply 6):
Positiverate, go hit yourself in the face with a brick!

Wow, how mature  Yeah sure .

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 7):

Better planes coming  Wink (77Ls).

positiverate

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting Mu2 (Reply 6):

Classy...

Quoting Mu2 (Reply 6):
There is nothing wrong with US Airways and nothing wrong with Parker.

Except for his drunk driving arrest, and previous other drink driving arrests, which would indicate poor judgement, you're right; there is nothing wrong with him. As far as nothing being wrong with USAirways, go look at your service levels (not intended for you HP folks; I find that the HP crews provide better service by and large).

Quoting Mu2 (Reply 6):
What the he11 does this have to do with Delta?

Since you are competing with them for this allocation, it clearly has a TON to do with Delta.

Quoting Mu2 (Reply 6):
We didn't merge so that means we can't expand on our own now?

No, you can, I just think the timing is ironic.

Quoting Mu2 (Reply 6):
Get over it, we are making money and we will try to make more.

Right, you have a license to print money over there.

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 3):
This has been discussed at employee "town hall" meetings since early January...the timing it came out is a coincidence.

Thanks for the clarification.

I disagree. Delta would offer Atlanta, the State of Georgia and the entire Southeastern United States its first nonstop service to China, a factor that DOT by its own admission in the Order has considered noteworthy in other selection cases.

whappeh

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 10):
No, you can, I just think the timing is ironic.

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 10):
Right, you have a license to print money over there.

Excuse me while I, and the rest of the forum, go out side to have the best laugh at someone's expense in the history of the internet.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 8):
The PHL metro area will have easy link via IAD and EWR.

Problem is, US does not codeshare with UA to China. I'm sure they would look to change that if this application is unsuccessful. While it isn't a compelling argument, US is the only network carrier without an Asian presence, they should be given the same consideration as the other applicants.

BigGSFO

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 12):
While it isn't a compelling argument, US is the only network carrier without an Asian presence, they should be given the same consideration as the other applicants.

Agreed, they should be considered on the merits of their application. However in my opinion, PHL is less compelling of a gateway than ATL and DFW.

PanAm747

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:32 am

Quote:
US Airways had been considering applying for China authority for some time, and today responded to a Delta Air Lines application for Atlanta-Shanghai authority. US Airways asked the DOT to defer consideration of Delta's application until a full proceeding can commence.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. What has Delta's application done to damage USAirways that would deserve a full hearing?

While routes to China might be considered "licenses to print money" by some, an airline must have either an extraordinarily good O&D market to support the flight or an incredible connecting system. ATL can support a PVG flight due to its size and connectivity abilities. PHX, LAS, and CLT do not have the connections nor the O&D numbers to realistically support a flight, and PHL, while possible, might be marginal due to its proximity to the NYC area.

When all is said and done, however, the DOT will award the route to whomever makes the best case. Period.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

IAD380

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 am

Exactly what route to China does US plan to apply for? The article does not seem to say. Everyone here seems to assume that US wants route authority from PHL although nobody on this thread has quoted an independent source that confirms it. Also, is US seeking route authority to PVG or PEK?

F9Animal

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:50 am

I expected to see US attempt to enter that market. There is money to be made there, and I seriously doubt it is a revenge tactic to DL. US is going to move on with or without DL. The industry is about survival, and I see US looking into markets such as China and even further.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Delta787

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting IAD380 (Reply 15):
Exactly what route to China does US plan to apply for? The article does not seem to say. Everyone here seems to assume that US wants route authority from PHL although nobody on this thread has quoted an independent source that confirms it. Also, is US seeking route authority to PVG or PEK?

They are apparently still in negotiations with possible cities to serve. PHL to PVG or PEK seems the most likely but some people on the forum have said that they may apply from PHX.

[Edited 2007-02-12 19:10:30]
Fly Delta!

positiverate

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 12):
Problem is, US does not codeshare with UA to China

Out of curiousity, does US have their code on any other Star Alliance partners into China?

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 18):
Out of curiousity, does US have their code on any other Star Alliance partners into China?

Just with UA...ORD/SFO/LAX-NRT.

Cubsrule

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:07 am

If US is concerned about the relative saturation of the market in the northeast, they can easily apply to serve the route from PHX or CLT... they definitely have options in that respect. The flight will rely heavily on connections regardless.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

positiverate

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 19):
Quoting Positiverate (Reply 18):

Just with UA...ORD/SFO/LAX-NRT.

So into Japan then, but not into China. Thanks for the info.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 20):
The flight will rely heavily on connections regardless.

Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. I think US absolutely should apply, but I don't think that any of their hub cities (CLT; PHX; LAS; PHL) will provide the number of connections that DL would out of ATL. Plus, DL offers things that US can't as well, like one stop connection service to Central/South America. If US's route structure were a little more mature (and I don't mean that as a swipe), they'd be a good candidate.

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 21):
ingo, you hit the nail on the head. I think US absolutely should apply, but I don't think that any of their hub cities (CLT; PHX; LAS; PHL) will provide the number of connections that DL would out of ATL. Plus, DL offers things that US can't as well, like one stop connection service to Central/South America. If US's route structure were a little more mature (and I don't mean that as a swipe), they'd be a good candidate.

All good points. How can a new entrant be considered then if having an existing "truly global" network is the deciding factor? US also does have a very significant Central American presence.

LAXdude1023

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:55 am

I wouldnt bet on that. ATL is a much larger airport as is DFW and the DFW area is growing much faster and soon will be the 4th largest metro area. I would bet that ATL-China or DFW-China would be selected over PHL-China. Im not saying that PHL wouldnt win, but to say that it is a slam dunk is dead wrong.
It is what it is...

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 23):
Im not saying that PHL wouldnt win, but to say that it is a slam dunk is dead wrong.

**Disclaimer...only my 2 cents, as is your feelings on DFW/ATL.

sebring

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:15 am

AC is beginning to transition to an all Boeing widebody fleet. It owns the planes and will not lease them out. It will sell them. Until it does, they are ticketed to remain in the fleet. They are scheduled to operate Toronto-Shanghai beginning on Aug 1.

positiverate

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 21):
Quoting Positiverate (Reply 21):
ingo, you hit the nail on the head. I think US absolutely should apply, but I don't think that any of their hub cities (CLT; PHX; LAS; PHL) will provide the number of connections that DL would out of ATL. Plus, DL offers things that US can't as well, like one stop connection service to Central/South America. If US's route structure were a little more mature (and I don't mean that as a swipe), they'd be a good candidate.

All good points. How can a new entrant be considered then if having an existing "truly global" network is the deciding factor? US also does have a very significant Central American presence.

And therein lies the problem, in my opinion, with how DOT does their selection criteria. Should it be "new entrant" into the China market, or "new entrant" into the international market? So much of that is left open to the judgement of those making the decisions. I was fascinated, the last go round, when DOT stated that it believes “…American and Delta have the strongest proposals of all the applicants for the 2006 award.” And then it said the following: “The record shows that Delta has offered to provide the most on-line connecting service in this proceeding. Compared to American, Delta would serve more cities, provide more communities with first nonstop-to nonstop connections to China, and provide more flights to the Southeast region of the United States…” All of that, and then it gives the route to Continental and AA. Go figure.

elcapi1980

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 21

Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. I think US absolutely should apply, but I don't think that any of their hub cities (CLT; PHX; LAS; PHL) will provide the number of connections that DL would out of ATL. Plus, DL offers things that US can't as well, like one stop connection service to Central/South America. If US's route structure were a little more mature (and I don't mean that as a swipe), they'd be a good candidate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe delta offers more flights to South & central america, but allso you need to remember that if you are comming from these regions , you need a visa which is 100 times more difficult to get that if you go w any european country. in addition 80% of those flight wont be able to connect. Moreover, the mayority of chinesse people live in the west area, including vancouver in canada, so atl will be convinient for people living for east coast pax Only, while phx will be able to connect anywhere in the us continent, including east coast....
I love you barranquilla!!!!!

sebring

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:39 am

AC is beginning to transition to an all Boeing widebody fleet. It owns the two 345s and will not lease them out. It will sell them. Until it does, they are ticketed to remain in the fleet.

positiverate

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting Elcapi1980 (Reply 26):
in addition 80% of those flight wont be able to connect.

Why not? No schedule has been announced for a potential PVG flight yet.

Quoting Elcapi1980 (Reply 26):
Moreover, the mayority of chinesse people live in the west area, including vancouver in canada, so atl will be convinient for people living for east coast pax Only, while phx will be able to connect anywhere in the us continent, including east coast....

Any place you can "connect" through PHX (which has a fraction of the connection possibilities of ATL), you can also connect through LAX, YVR, SFO, MSP, DTW etc, which already has nonstop China service. The Southeast, however, doesn;t have those same connection options to ATL opens up a whole new region. Furthermore, who cares where the majority of Chinese Americans live? That's irrelevant. It would only matter if you were solely basing your decision on O/D market, at which point NYC, LAX, and SFo would get the flights.

rwsea

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:50 am

US doesn't stand a chance. Here's why:

1) No recognition in Asia at all.
2) PHL/CLT/PHX don't have high O&D to Asia or China in general. By itself, this isn't a bad thing. But compared to the other applicants (e.g. DL), they have a weaker case. If you're going to add flights to a city with no O&D, might as well add them to the biggest hub in the world as opposed to some medium sized-hub elsewhere (same goes for AA if they try to reapply for DFW).
3) DL has applied before and has already applied again. US did not apply before.
4) US has no aircraft capable of this flight, and would have to scramble to get them if they were awarded the rights. Also, getting just a couple of aircraft for one specific route reduces the profitability, and thus, the long-term viability of the route.
5) US strongly supported UA's IAD service, and this was noted by the DOT in their decision. As far as the DOT is concerned, US plans to serve China via code-share partners. The DOT might see the award of additional frequencies to UA as also indirectly awarding them to US, thus, giving them less consideration this time around.

I think the only applications that have a shot this time around are ATL-PVG (DL), EWR-PVG (CO), and LAX-PEK/PVG (UA or AA, if either of them decide to go for it).

Quoting Mu2 (Reply 6):
There is nothing wrong with US Airways and nothing wrong with Parker. What the he11 does this have to do with Delta? We didn't merge so that means we can't expand on our own now? Get over it, we are making money and we will try to make more.

Inappropriate. Grow up.

A330323X

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 4):
From what hub will they market this, PHL?

Yes.

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 11):
Problem is, US does not codeshare with UA to China.

US has already applied to codeshare on all of UA's flights to China. It's just waiting for DOT approval.

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 13):
Sounds like sour grapes to me. What has Delta's application done to damage USAirways that would deserve a full hearing?

Well, if DL's application were approved, then no one else's could be; it's pretty obvious, and the reason that 4 carriers other than US also objected to the DL application.

Quoting IAD380 (Reply 14):
The article does not seem to say. Everyone here seems to assume that US wants route authority from PHL although nobody on this thread has quoted an independent source that confirms it.

It's PHL, and they've said as much in conference calls. This really is nothing new; the news just picked it up because of the recent US filing.

Quoting IAD380 (Reply 14):
Also, is US seeking route authority to PVG or PEK?

The plan had been for PHL-PEK before UA won the IAD-PEK authority. Not sure if that'll change things now or not.

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 17):

In addition to the pending UA codeshare, US is also in the final stages of negotiating a codeshare pact with Air China, which they also mention in the UA codeshare application I linked to above.

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 20):
Plus, DL offers things that US can't as well, like one stop connection service to Central/South America.

That's actually viewed as a negative by the DOT, as the international connecting customers occupy seats that then can't be filled with U.S. customers.

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 20):
If US's route structure were a little more mature (and I don't mean that as a swipe), they'd be a good candidate.

The DOT will view US being a new entrant in the U.S.-Asia market as a positive. I think it'll be close as to which carrier is selected. Aircraft also won't be an issue; US will shortly be announcing new long-range widebodies regardless of whether it gets the China authority.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 30):

US has already applied to codeshare on all of UA's flights to China. It's just waiting for DOT approval.

As always right on the ball...thanks  thumbsup 

Evan767

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:40 am

Think again! You think PHL has a better chance than the busiest airport in the world? Don't think so!
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 32):
Think again! You think PHL has a better chance than the busiest airport in the world? Don't think so!

Boy you told me.

steeler83

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:37 am

PHL not having enough O&D to China, Korea, Japan, etc??? I find that hard to believe. Doesn't UA fly from IAD to Asia? I think they do, or am I getting this confused with UA's flights to South America. Someone brought up US to South America from PHL as well, but that US would lose ground considering UA's success at IAD on those routes...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

LAXdude1023

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 32):

I agree that ATL would have a better chance than PHL, but ATL isnt exactly perfect. Its geographic location is downright awful for traffic to Asia. DFW's isnt much better, but it is a little bit. PHL would be able to serve more domestic traffic more conveniently than would ATL, but ATL has more connection opprotunities in sheer number as would DFW. As far as traffic to Asia goes both ATL is only suited to serve the South including Florida. You can add Texas to that list for DFW. Again I am only speaking of domestic traffic. Niether PHL, DFW, or ATL have any significant traffic to China, so O&D is not going to be an issue anyway around. PHL is the largest of the metro areas, but this time next year and DFW will be the largest of the metro areas. ATL lags behind by about 1 million from both DFW and PHL. But then again if O&D were an issue, the airlines would be lining up to serve LAX, NYC, and SFO and that would be it.
It is what it is...

USPIT10L

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:49 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 34):
PHL not having enough O&D to China, Korea, Japan, etc??? I find that hard to believe. Doesn't UA fly from IAD to Asia? I think they do, or am I getting this confused with UA's flights to South America. Someone brought up US to South America from PHL as well, but that US would lose ground considering UA's success at IAD on those routes...

Yeah, UA does fly to Asia from IAD, both NRT and PEK, but O&D also includes local traffic, which PHL simply doesn't have to Asia. I love to see US expanding their horizons and network, but this round is a slam dunk for DL out of ATL, irregardless of which city in China they choose to serve (PEK or PVG). Parker wants to run a global airline. He has the skills and savvy to do it. Why not just let him do his thing? Leave US alone, Deltoids. Let's just get back to running our respective airlines.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

KevinSmith

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:06 am

I said it in a similar thread but if they get the route and use the A345s that will be the first time the type has been used by a US carrier. I hope they put the dark blue livery on them and not the bright white one. I don't think it would look as good on the A340.
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

N666FU

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting Positiverate (Thread starter):
"US Airways urges DOT to defer consideration of Delta's application until there is the opportunity for full consideration of such other applications as may be submitted. Specifically, US Airways intends to apply for the designation and frequencies at issue, and it is presently coordinating its proposal with affected parties, including the U.S. gateways and communities it will serve," US Airways said in its DOT filing today.

And this is what I don't get. This is why people get the impression Parker is making this personal. If US wants to enter, let them enter and win the slot on their own merits. Wanting the DOT to defer Delta's decision just seems pissy.
KEPT DELTA OUR DELTA! Ask USAirPlatinum about it!

A330323X

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:08 am

Quoting N666FU (Reply 38):
And this is what I don't get. This is why people get the impression Parker is making this personal. If US wants to enter, let them enter and win the slot on their own merits. Wanting the DOT to defer Delta's decision just seems pissy.

There's nothing to enter--the DOT hasn't opened a route-selection proceeding yet, which is what US is asking for.

*Five* airlines asked for the same thing! Are they all picking on DL in your mind?  Yeah sure
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

Lufthansa

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:24 am

I don't see why everybody thinks it would be so hard for US to get aircraft.
How fast do you think Airbus can put an A340 together? Fast enough for this one! Possibly
even an A346 (isn't that what china eastern use? Should be able to make it fine).... The extra
capacity of the 744 was viewed as a positive in the United Case.

As for departures from the west, don't forget, US would have the benifit of Air China's customers at the
other end too.

I'm gonna have to back up the comments of those who have pointed out, just because the merger didn't go
thru doesn't mean US airways doesn't have the right to compete anymore. Actually if anything, by resisting the
merger, you've forced them to compete harder so you all shouldn't be surprised if they actually start doing that.

And with Soooooo many A320s, and the A330s, I could see airbus pushing really really hard. And add to that easy fleet intergration.

Here is another thought. There may be a wait for the 773ER if they decided to order it. But what about the 744?
I'd imagine you could get one of those pretty much straight away.
US is making plenty of money remember... and when you're making money its a lot easier to get your hands on new equipment.

As for the 'tangeray and tonic' comments - every executive with any significant power (read real management, not simply people with a badge but somebody with the ability to make real changes) i've ever met drinks... and usually a fair bit too. These jobs are increadibly consuming, very long hours and at times very stressful. If he wants a few drinks in the evening, its his business.

[Edited 2007-02-13 01:54:23]

zschocheimages

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 8):
Better planes coming (77Ls).

duck 

I completely agree though.
Why fly with 2 engines when you can have 3?

cityguy

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:45 am

Quoting Positiverate (Thread starter):
Seems like Dougie "Tanqueray and Tonic" Parker can't get over the fact that he lost DL.

wow..China..what a great route-must be a sobering experience to try and expand that much! I bet with a flight that long, their must be plenty of food and a full bar on board. Wonder if I could get a ride in a black BMW to the airport and a drink before takeoff.....?

Evan767

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 33):
Boy you told me.

I try, I really do.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

coleplane

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 29):
I think the only applications that have a shot this time around are ATL-PVG (DL),

I tend to agree largely based on the previous point that the entire southeast would be served. I think the answer, in which I suspect DOT would weigh heavily, lies in which regions already have a direct service to China. For me, this rules out PHL to a degree. A part of me hopes it's awarded to US.
"About a nine on the tension scale there Rupe."

UALMMFlyer

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:12 pm

US and UA will be code-sharing the new IAD-PEK flight.
Treat others like you'd like to be treated!

MMEPHX

RE: US Airways Announces Intention To Apply For Ch

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:28 pm

The good folks who run the casino's in Las Vegas would probably support US with a LAS-China application. That's a huge and enthusiastic market for casino operators.

mah584jr

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Sometimes I wonder whether codesharing really helps the airlines that are involved. If US were to codeshare with UA on routes to Asia, then it makes it harder for US to compete for the routes on its own. Having two US carriers in the same Alliance kind of seems to hurt competition, because even though the two are codesharing, they are also competing for themselves.

I applaud US for applying for service to China. It'll be a great competition.

PlanenutzTB

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:24 pm

I don't understand why US can't just focus on improving the quality of service with what they have now. It's seems that customer satisfaction is secondary to the CEO's obsession with growth. There seems to be many posts here with the same message about the lack of customer focus at US. Hopefully the employees and stockholders will pressure the BOD for leadership change.
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

flybyguy

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Parker has gone mad... he already has codeshares within the Star Alliance that take US Airways passengers to China. The DOT is going to unanimously turn down US Airways' bid in favor of Delta. Then the Delta people will turn US Airways into an even greater laughing stock than it is after several lethargic attempts to buy out Delta.

I think Parker should concentrate on making an airline that would be the envy of the industry, not enter into petty pi$$ing contests with Delta.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller